Sign in to follow this  
snkman

Group Link 4 Special FX Edition

Do you use the "Script/Mission Based" initialize?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use the "Script/Mission Based" initialize?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes

Hi.

Could somebody please help me with Reinforcements GL4_Global.spf??? Please??

I don't want tons of reinforcements coming down on my ass from miles and miles away.

Something reasonable is OK for me. Reinforcements is logical, but not something insane.

Where exactly do I make the changes??:

// GL4 Enemy A.I. Reinforcement Request:

// ==============================================================

// Set this variable False to disable the Enemy A.I. Reinforcement Request.

// True / False, default is True

// GL4_Global set [0, False];

// Enemy A.I. Reinforcement Request Groups:

// Choose how many enemy A.I. groups can be requested as reinforcement at the same time.

// 0 - 30, default is 3

GL4_Global set [1, 2];

// Enemy A.I. Reinforcement Request Knows About:

// Choose how much enemy A.I. must know about the target to set alert and request reinforcement.

// Note: The lower this value the faster enemy A.I. will request reinforcement.

// 0 - 3, default is 0.10

GL4_Global set [2, 2];

// Enemy A.I. Reinforcement Request Courage:

// Choose the courage of the enemy A.I. groups.

// The lower this value the faster enemy A.I. will request reinforcement.

// Note: If this value is set to 0.1 then enemy A.I. will request reinforcement even if they are not overmatched by a target.

// If this value is set to 0.5 or 0.8 then enemy A.I. will only request reinforcement if they are really overmatched by a target.

// 0.01 - 1, default is 0.10

GL4_Global set [3, 0.8];

// Enemy A.I. Reinforcement Request Distance:

// Choose the distance in which enemy A.I. should be able to request reinforcement.

// Note: Enemy A.I. which had spotted a enemy will be able to request reinforcement which is within this range.

// 0 - 50000, default is 50000 meters

GL4_Global set [4, 500];

Here is something similar to what I use. Remeber to take those \\'s away on the red lines. Also, note that this only allows reinforcements for up to 500m away rather than the default 50000.

@TonnyRat

Hmm... Well yeah good request. ;)

Sounds like a lot of fun by supporting the MLRS.

Yeah something like a "H.C. Airstrike" feature are in my mind since some time but currently i don't have the time to create such a complex feature but i'm pretty sure you will find such a feature at any point in the future.

@Sneaker-78-

No they are working. Just have a look at the button definition which are used by default.

May you are using the wrong keys. ;)

Good to hear. Thanks for all the great work you have put into the community!

@Kommiekat

To extend editing config further ...

All have a similar line (grabbed this one for an example):

// GL4_Global set [2, 0.10];

// = the code isnt being used, treat this being next to a line = "ignore" ... if you want this to be used IE you want to override a default setting and have it not be ignored you remove the " // ".

So it would just be:

GL4_Global set [2, 0.10];

To set the actual value you want, now its not to be ignored because you removed the "//" ...

In red refers to code line this changes per setting in the config for the code to work/be referenced like an ID number down the list of codes (its config/engine based so not to be changed).
.. this is the value YOU change to match the level you need set (which is detailed in the comments above each setting).

Or ... in summary "override setting by removing the "//" then in the brackets you edit the value after the comma" :)

Edited by mrcash2009

Hey men, whats up.

I really like your modification. Its a great Mod... but I have one big problem with the KI...

The KI have great features btw.. like flares at night and smoke effects but in the CQB its terrible...

If I go in the editor and put a unit 10 meters from my soldier away, the enemy drop 2 smoke grenades, look at me, change the weapon and shoot me after the strange actions.....

And I dont want to give up GL4 but its not possible to play with the KI. :(

Hey men, whats up.

I really like your modification. Its a great Mod... but I have one big problem with the KI...

The KI have great features btw.. like flares at night and smoke effects but in the CQB its terrible...

If I go in the editor and put a unit 10 meters from my soldier away, the enemy drop 2 smoke grenades, look at me, change the weapon and shoot me after the strange actions.....

And I dont want to give up GL4 but its not possible to play with the KI. :(

Well for one thing, 2 enemies appearing 10m apart is not going to give you an accurate reflection of the AI in general.

You can turn off the Smoke Man effects in the Gl4_global if you don't like that effect.

Scheintot are you sure you don't use another addon/mod with GL4? Tested multiple times and GL4 AI fires and takes cover if only placed on the map. Try to change/finetune some of the GL4 AI settings and test again. ;)

Nice, can you show me your settings?

AH!

And another problem is the enemy dont use flares.... only your side use them. If you change the side the other faction dont use the flares anymore.

Edited by Scheintot

@Scheintot

Not at the moment but try GL4_Global.sqf and change/tune the values under AI Enemy Difficult Skill or something like that. I changed pretty much in GL4 settings but still need more things to test & finetune. ;)

@SNKMAN

Did you made some tools/mission-set to monitor the AI tweaking or do you use TroopMon?

I need some help here guys. I'm trying to get enemy units to stay exactly where they are. I have tried synching them with the GL4 Static Module, I have tried changing their group name to sg1, sg2, etc. as stated in the readme, I have disabled the reinforcement feature in the userconfig, I have tried putting "doStop this" in their initialization, and I have tried giving them hold waypoints. No matter what I have tried, when the bullets start flying, they move from wherever they are and come after me. Its like every mission turns into a defend mission because they all come after me. I want some of them to stay where they are, like in a building so I can raid that building after I fight my way to it. I have the map markers on that tell you what the AI is doing and it says they are in combat mode. Any help is appreciated.

@SNKMAN

After extensive testing with the latest version I have some suggestions for fine tuning GL4.

1. When enemy calls for reinforcements, often just one or two units board a vehicle and drive to the player group. It would be better if they would board with a bigger size of group if there is space for them. (Especially if it is a truck i.e.)

2. I observed that enemy units use vehicle to get to the player group but they totally ignore the gunner positions on vehicles, which makes them quite weak and useless. (the vehicles)

3. Enemies would even use civilian cars, which is rather unrealistic. Is there a way to limit them to use military equipment only?

4. Some limitations in the H.C. helicopter are somewhat annoying. I.e. it happened to me I called in a chopper, ordered it to land and hoped it will bring me to the next target location. (this was supposed by the mission maker) But what happened? The pilot disembarked and didn't move a metre. Hmm, I couldn't join him to my group (to get him board the helicopter again). I could not board the helicopter as pilot myself, nor could I order the AI of my group to do so. Then I canceled the helicopter, and requested reinforcements and HQ told me to send this (the same) helicopter to the desired postion. Nothing happened. Finally I had to walk 7 km to the next target location. (Killing the pilot didn't help either).

Could you please give the player the full control over the pilot and the crewmembers of the helo please? It would overcome some trouble when stuck in a mission. Also it would resolve some problems when it is not possible to finish a mission because of this.

5. A general question about reinforcements. When I set the settings in global.sqf that the enemy can call 1 group at once as reinforcements, then can the called group call again 1 group of reinforcements (and the next again for the next, like a chain reaction) or can only the original group call for reinforcements?

Besides this, I really have fun with GL4. I found a suitable fine tune in the settings, which fits my gaming skills and it really cool. Thanks to the force move and H.C. features there are now very good tools to get a mission done.

Is there a way to:

* disable automatically getting into vehicles?

* stop the initializing messages coming up, I find them distracting, and since I seem to just mess around in the editor I see them quite a lot :D

Thanks for the great mod man, I love it :)

Here is something similar to what I use. Remeber to take those \\'s away on the red lines. Also, note that this only allows reinforcements for up to 500m away rather than the default 50000.
@Kommiekat

To extend editing config further ...

All have a similar line (grabbed this one for an example):

// = the code isnt being used, treat this being next to a line = "ignore" ... if you want this to be used IE you want to override a default setting and have it not be ignored you remove the " // ".

So it would just be:

To set the actual value you want, now its not to be ignored because you removed the "//" ...

In red refers to code line this changes per setting in the config for the code to work/be referenced like an ID number down the list of codes (its config/engine based so not to be changed).

.. this is the value YOU change to match the level you need set (which is detailed in the comments above each setting).

Or ... in summary "override setting by removing the "//" then in the brackets you edit the value after the comma" :)

Thanks so much, guys!!

I'll be sure to include you in my prayers to baby Jesus before I hit the sack.:bounce3:

@Scheintot

And another problem is the enemy dont use flares.... only your side use them.

No it should be exactly the other way.

Enemy A:I. use flares and friendly A.I. do not use them.

I guess you have made something wrong in your mission setup?

@NoRailgunner

Did you made some tools/mission-set to monitor the AI tweaking or do you use TroopMon?

I use to create a mission to test features.

Currently i have around 30 test missions 1 which i use since some weeks with many different features and the rest is specific to 1 or 2 features per mission.

@pwnage_51

I'm trying to get enemy units to stay exactly where they are.

Well yes a option "Module" to define enemy A.I. groups which is not trying to hunt the enemy down may would be a good point.

So far "Static Groups" can not be requested as reinforcement but if they are in contact with a enemy they will hunt down the enemy like every other group.

I will add a module which makes enemy A.I. stay at their position or within a given range to their original position.

@Kroky

After extensive testing with the latest version I have some suggestions for fine tuning GL4.
:)

1. Normlly the whole group should mount the empty vehicle till no cargo is left. Well i will check it out.

2. Enemy A.I. use a gunner position script to get into the gunner position of a vehicle. I will check this too. ;)

3. Yes i could add a array with vehicle classes but then every other vehicle which is not listed in the array will be ignored. May i find another easy solution for this.

The pilot disembarked and didn't move a metre.

Well this has nothing to do with the "H.C. Helicopter" feature becouse there is nothing which will make a pilot of a helicopter disembark the helicopter.

May the pilot had a "get out" waypoint at the destination and by requesting this helicopter you switched to the "get out" waypoint which makes the pilot disembark at where you have called him to land.

Could you please give the player the full control over the pilot and the crewmembers of the helo please?

No that's defenetly no good idea.

Just think about you have a helicopter with 1 pilot 2 gunners and 4 units in the cargo then you will have your original units + the 7 helciopter crew members in your group bar also this would really need a big re-wrote of the "H.C. Helicopter" feature.

5. No this option is global which means if you set it to 1 then there can be requested 1 enemy A.I. group as reinforcement in total.

No enemy A.I. group will be able to request more reinforcement till the requested group was killed.

@LJF

Sure. ;)

Get In: ( GL4_Global.sqf )

// GL4 Get In:
   // Choose if A.I. which is within 10 meters to a empty vehicle should mount the vehicle at mission start.
   // Note: This feature was made to overcome the assignment with the "moveInDriver", "moveInGunner" and "moveInCarog" command.
      GL4_Global set [67, False];

Initialize Debug: ( GL4_Core.sqf )

// GL4 Initialize Debug:
 // Choose if the "Initialize" debug should be used.
 // Note: This debug displays how "Group Link 4" was initialized directly after the initialize of "Group Link 4" was done.
    GL4_Core set [4, False];

@Snkman

I do not understand the comments made in the GL_Global.sqf file regarding the reinforcement ranges. You are saying that the differ based on the AI guy making the contact and not on the resources that are to be called in for support? Shouldn't it better being based on the reinforcement resource?

Or is it that way and just the description is misleading?

For me it should be clear, that a speedy resource could be called in from much farer away than an infantry guy without access to a car 20 miles away.

Or I am just not getting it?

But anyay keep up with the excellent work!

Regards Gunhawk

Okay let's have a look. :)

// Enemy A.I. Reinforcement Distance:
     // Choose the distance in which enemy A.I. should be able to request reinforcement.
     // Note: Enemy A.I. which had spotted a enemy will be able to request reinforcement which is within the given range.
     // Example: If enemy A.I. which do not use a vehicle had spotted a enemy then they will be able to request reinforcement which is within a range of 3000 meters to their position.
     // Example: If enemy A.I. which use a tank had spotted a enemy then they will be able to request reinforcement which is within a range of 10000 meters to their position.
     // 0 - 50000, default is [ ["Man", 3000], ["Car", 7000], ["Tank", 10000], ["Air", 30000], ["Ship", 30000] ]
       // GL4_Global set [7, [ ["Man", 3000], ["Car", 7000], ["Tank", 10000], ["Air", 30000], ["Ship", 30000] ] ];

What you see here means:

If you was spotted by enemy A.I. without vehicle ( "Man" ) then this enemy A.I. group will be able to request reinforcement which is closer or within 3000 meters to their position.

If you was spotted by enemy A.I. which use a helicopter ( "Air" ) then this enemy A.I. group will be able to request reinforcement which is closer or within 30000 meters to their position.

So for example the radio of a enemy A.I. group which use a vehicle can reach way more units like the radio of a infantery group.

That's all behind this. :)

Edited by SNKMAN

@SNKMAN

Thanks so much for the reply. I appreciate you taking the time to respond to all of these questions.

Okay let's have a look. :)

What you see here means:

If you was spotted by enemy A.I. without vehicle ( "Man" ) then this enemy A.I. group will be able to request reinforcement which is closer or within 3000 meters to their position.

If you was spotted by enemy A.I. which use a helicopter ( "Air" ) then this enemy A.I. group will be able to request reinforcement which is closer or within 30000 meters to their position.

So for example the radio of a enemy A.I. group which use a vehicle can reach way more units like the radio of a infantery group.

That's all behind this. :)

Well thats exactly the way I understood it and which I think should be the other way around: The distance contraint should not be dependend on the spotter having access toa vehicle -he just make the contact and call in via his radio.

It should be dependend on the distant force having access to a vehicle to be able to get there in time i.e. a chopper 20 miles out can be requested as reinforcement, but not an infantry squad walking down that way.

The way it is implemented now is that the spotter has just a "bigger radio" when in a vehicle than one without

Regards Gunhawk

Edited by Gunhawk007

Well yes a option "Module" to define enemy A.I. groups which is not trying to hunt the enemy down may would be a good point.

That would be excellent! Then I can stop stealing groups from the reinforcement array manually ;)

Additional supporting info:

I've also noticed as Kroky the issues with the vehicle loading and mounting the weapons. Although I do frequently see large groups fully board urals and whatnot. Seems like an occasional thing when they don't fill the vehicle. The not mounting the weapon though, that happens more often than not. At least for me.

3. Yes i could add a array with vehicle classes but then every other vehicle which is not listed in the array will be ignored. May i find another easy solution for this.

While I would welcome this option, I understand your thought there. Maybe it could be done per side? OPFOR could use all OPFOR vehicles, so on and so forth. The other thought I had, was maybe an exclusion array. (don't know if that reverses the flow of everything for you) But maybe simpler than the per side thought.

Just my 1 1/2 cents :)

*edit*

Regarding Reinforcement calls and whatnot, I think the current system works well. I change the values alot from default, to get things to flow like I want. But I very much think the way it's setup is the best solution. I understand not wanting to have an infantry group walk 10K to make contact. I think it's up to the mission makers to place thier assets appropriately and make use of the ability to modify the ranges though.

If I don't want infantry units that I know are far away walking, I make sure theres an empty vehicle or helo close they can use. Or in larger missions I reduce the call ranges and make sure I have enough seperation on map, that they just don't get called. ;)

Bonus question though: Will a Helo that is delivering troops (that may be set to stay on station) call for reinforcements? I could see where this could be an issue.

Edited by Gnome_AS

@Gunhawk007

i.e. a chopper 20 miles out can be requested as reinforcement, but not an infantry squad walking down that way.

Guess you get it wrong.

Group Link 4 do alway's request A.I. which is closest to the calling A.I.

So if a helicopter is 20k away and a infantery squad is close to the calling group then the infantery squad will be selected as reinforcement.

@Gnome

Seems like an occasional thing when they don't fill the vehicle. The not mounting the weapon though.

Well the first place assigned by mounting a vehicle always is the driver the next position which will be checked is the gunner.

This means if a group has 2 or more units and the vehicle has a gun then the gunner position always will be assigned.

Really strange becouse since a few hours i'm doing some optimizations and the gunner position always was used by enemy A.I. also the whole group had mounted the vehicle.

Maybe it could be done per side? OPFOR could use all OPFOR vehicles.
Yes that's the way. ;)
Will a Helo that is delivering troops (that may be set to stay on station) call for reinforcements?

Yes enemy A.I. in a helicopter can request reinforcement depending if the group is overmatched or not.

A helicopter got a pretty high rating ( 15 points ) a man ( 1 point ) so if you attack a helicopter incl. crew with a 2 - 3 man group then the helicopter will not request reinforcement becouse the chance to beat your group is very high.

@SNKMAN

Well yes a option "Module" to define enemy A.I. groups which is not trying to hunt the enemy down may would be a good point. ... I will add a module which makes enemy A.I. stay at their position or within a given range to their original position.

That´s what i dreamed of!!! It would be fantastic if the soldiers which are linked to this "COVER-module" (for example) will stay in the given range and search for cover behind walls/buildings and still wait for the enemy to come. Couldn´t wait for that... ;-)

One suggestion for upcomin updates:

It would be great to have an option where you can specify an amount of seconds or minutes how long it takes before the enemy can call for reinforcement again. So it could not happen that all reinforcement-troops are called while you clear out the first objective. Often in our missions we must clear 3-4 cities. I think when there is a delay of 15-20min or something (could be specified for each mission in the userconfig) it couldn´t happen that all reinforcement troops come to objective one.

Edited by MadMike[Brig2010]

It would be fantastic if the soldiers which are linked to this "COVER-module" (for example) will stay in the given range and search for cover behind walls/buildings and still wait for the enemy to come. Couldn´t wait for that... ;-)

Yes that's how it's working. ;)

Enemy A.I. which was synchronized with the "Group Link 4: Defend" module will only defend their position.

They use all Group Link 4 features but do not leave their position.

It would be great to have an option where you can specify an amount of seconds or minutes how long it takes before the enemy can call reinforcement again.

Well this option would have a very bad side.

Just think about you set this to 30 minutes and you are at the next objective after 15 minutes then there would be 15 minutes left till enemy A.I. could request reinforcement again.

Also you have a fixe number and you truely can't say that it always will take exactly the given time.

Better would be a location variable where you can choose how much and in which time enemy A.I. of a given location can request reinforcement.

Town A: 3 groups wait time 15 minutes.

Town B: 5 groups wait time 30 minutes.

Well may in the future. :D

Hey SNKMAN, a feature to think about in the future, if you could make the AI use the towers and rooftops. Something in line with the Garrison and House Search features.

Thanks.

@Robalo_AS

I think as long as the rooftops and towers are accessible the AI will use them sometimes. I'm pretty sure I have seen it before.

@LJF

Sure. ;)

Get In: ( GL4_Global.sqf )

// GL4 Get In:
   // Choose if A.I. which is within 10 meters to a empty vehicle should mount the vehicle at mission start.
   // Note: This feature was made to overcome the assignment with the "moveInDriver", "moveInGunner" and "moveInCarog" command.
      GL4_Global set [67, False];

Initialize Debug: ( GL4_Core.sqf )

// GL4 Initialize Debug:
 // Choose if the "Initialize" debug should be used.
 // Note: This debug displays how "Group Link 4" was initialized directly after the initialize of "Group Link 4" was done.
    GL4_Core set [4, False];

I tried setting them to false in all three of each of those files but it didn't seem to work, any idea what I'm doing wrong?