Sign in to follow this  
snkman

Group Link 4 Special FX Edition

Do you use the "Script/Mission Based" initialize?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use the "Script/Mission Based" initialize?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes

:eek: WOW. Been busy?

Excellent additions man, working very well so far. Actually address/replaces things I was working with/around. All the more a "Must have Mod!".

Really awesome work, as usual. :D

Yes it defenetly is one of the best Group Link 4 versions i ever made so far. ;)

@Miller and Foxhound

Thanks for the mirror and news.

@esco7800

I see you added the MLRS will it work with the bm-21 grad?

You can use every kind of "StaticWeapon" and "Tank" with the "H.C. Artillery" feature.

The BM-21 Grad is a car so this is not supported so far.

Guess i will totally skip the vehicle type limitation in the next version so you can use what ever you want. :)

Enhanced: All kind's of suppressed weapon classes are detected and added automatically in the "Advancing" 15 meter array.

So to extend this is "any kind from BIS stock to any addon" based on your code way to look at muzzle right?

Great update, no time to play at the moment but will have a test at the weekend, this is just a one stop shop for all scripting needs (for those who are not totally savvy on that side of things).

Well i don't check muzzles to get this working.

All suppressed weapons of B.I.S. and the community use the value 0 in the weapon config "fireLightDuration".

fireLightDuration = 0;

So i simply check each available weapon at the initialize of Group Link 4 and add the weapon where the value was 0 to the array.

_a = (configFile  >> "CfgWeapons");

_b = 1;

while { (_b < count _a) } do
{
_c = (_a select _b);

_d = (configName _c);

if ( (_d != "close") && (_d != "short") && (_d != "medium") && (_d != "far") ) then
{
	_e = getNumber (_a >> _d >> "fireLightDuration");

if (_e == 0) then
	{
		GL4_Global set [35, (GL4_Global select 35) + [_d] ];
	};
};

_b = _b + 1;
};

@SNKMAN

genius solution for the suppressed weapons!

Will try the new version soon! And will report back.

@SNKMAN

I like the new patrol feature. How hard would it be to allow them to patrol within X meters of a particular point instead of their starting position? That way if they are synchronized to a GL Random module they can still patrol around a given point...essentially randomizing the starting point of their patrol.

One other note if anyone hasn't mentioned yet: when artillery has been requested and there is a timeout period, the message states wait 210 (or less) minutes before requesting artillery, when in reality it seems like the value represents seconds. You can see this by spamming the Request Artillery command and watching the value change.

Edited by Gambler

SNKMN just to echo the sentiments of others a bit -this has got be the funnest thread on the forum. Your always showing up with a new bag o' goodies and it's a breath of fresh air to see such a lack of bickering or indifference to the always questioning public.

Thanks for all your work and great disposition to everyone!

@Kroky

Will try the new version soon! And will report back.

Nice.

@Gambler

How hard would it be to allow them to patrol within X meters of a particular point instead of their starting position?

Hmm... Guess that's a good idea. :)

I will make this by adding a object / class to the "setVariable" array.

So in the next version you will be able to do something like:

Make a enemy A.I. group patrol to the closest house within the given distance:

this setVariable ["GL4_Patrol", ["House", 100] ];

Make a enemy A.I. group patrol to the closest car within the given distance:

this setVariable ["GL4_Patrol", ["Car", 200] ];

Make a enemy A.I. group patrol to the closest object within the given distance: ( Logic / Man )

this setVariable ["GL4_Patrol", ["Soldier", 150] ];

Guess this could be a good improvement. ;)

@froggyluv

Many thank's.

Your welcome. :)

Hi!

Thanks for all the hard work.

I noticed that you guys changed a few things with Reinforcments. Looks a bit more comfortable with the values you changed around.

About Artillery:

In Sick1's Seal Team 6 Mission 2, need to take out an artillery camp.

I'm being shelled as close at 150 meters away, crawling on my belly.

Using you last version.

I have no idea about real life, but at 150 yards, seems the howitzers would be pointing pretty much straight up.

Taking this into consideration, do you feel your values are good as they are now in the new version? I've yet to try it out........will do so tonight on ST6 Mission 2..........again;)

If any changes need to be made, could you kindly show where, in Red?

Thanks for your help!

//==============================================================

// GL4 Enemy A.I. Artillery:

// ==============================================================

// Choose if enemy A.I. should be able to request artillery.

// True / False, default is True

// GL4_Global set [9, False];

// Enemy A.I. Artillery Request Ranks:

// Choose which enemy A.I. ranks are allowed to request artillery.

// Available Ranks: PRIVATE | CORPORAL | SERGEANT | LIEUTENANT | CAPTAIN | MAJOR | COLONEL

// Default: ["SERGEANT","LIEUTENANT","CAPTAIN","MAJOR","COLONEL"]

// GL4_Global set [10, ["SERGEANT","LIEUTENANT","CAPTAIN","MAJOR","COLONEL"] ];

// Enemy A.I. Artillery Chance:

// Choose the chance of how enemy A.I. should be able to request artillery.

// 0 - 100, default is 50%

// GL4_Global set [11, 50];

// Enemy A.I. Artillery Ammo:

// Choose which type of ammo enemy A.I. artillery should use.

// Available ammo classes: "Sh_105_HE", "Sh_120_HE", "Sh_120_SABOT", "Sh_122_HE", "Sh_125_HE", "Sh_125_SABOT", "Bomb", "Grenade"

// Default: "Sh_125_HE"

// GL4_Global set [12, "Sh_85_HE"];

@SNKMAN

Regarding the new features: Is it possible to give a group the patrol-order (this setVariable [“GL4_Patrolâ€, [100, “SAFEâ€, “LIMITEDâ€] ]) which is also linked to the DEFEND-module?

Edited by MadMike[Brig2010]

@Kommiekat

I understand exactly how you feel. Have done the same mission with artillery. But then changed the values for artillery totally. (Only very high ranked AI's can call artillery strikes now, for me.)

The point is that GL4 spawns the artillery shells. They don't fly in real. That's why they can hit you even if this is physically impossible. I don't like this at all. For that mission I disabled the artillery feature in GL4.

Hi SNKMAN,

Can the random position module be used with the enemy? ie. Creating a enemy group and have it appear randomly in the world?

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi SNKMAN , Saw this in several features GL user High Command:

Warning: The default initialize do not work in multiplayer.

How do you initialize these features in MP?

---------- Post added at 01:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

Hi SNKMAN,

Can the random position module be used with the enemy? ie. Creating a enemy group and have it appear randomly in the world?

Cheers,

Andrew

I have used it with an enemy group where they can appear in random locations.

Just sync it like you would with the player group.

First of all thanks for the excellent work.

I have tried 1.1.87 version.

Maybe I'm wrong, but i think enemy A..I has now an attitude too much offensive, not realistic.

I try to explain better with an example.

I put two groups facing off one to other at a distance of 600 meters (enemy default group, while my group was composed of three members)

After a few shots of me, A.I. split itself into several smaller groups and began to advance from several directions moving quickly and running towards me without caution.

In the previous version only a few of them went off the group, while the majority had a much more cautious behaviour and moved slowly.

By the way, with troopmon utility I noticed that almost all enemy team had the "attack" command while in the previuos version was "move".

The enemy team was easily killed....

During the mission everything I did was to lie near a bush and shoot..

Before (previous version) the battle could last for a few minutes.

Now, it's all over after 60 or 70 seconds

I repeat, maybe i'm doing something wrong and more tests are needed.

IMHO the previous version was more challenging..

Keep up the good work!

Cheers

p.s. I did not touch anything in user config

Edited by fideco

@Kommiekat

I have no idea about real life, but at 150 yards, seems the howitzers would be pointing pretty much straight up.

Yes like already said the artillery shell's are spawned at the given target location.

Making A.I. fire ( aiming in the correct angle ) and make them hit the target position will need a really big amount of calculations also sometimes enemy A.I. would not be able to hit the target location becouse the needed angle could not be set by the artillery.

@MadMike.48th

Is it possible to give a group the patrol-order (this setVariable [“GL4_Patrolâ€, [100, “SAFEâ€, “LIMITEDâ€] ]) which is also linked to the DEFEND-module?

Why not? :)

You can synchronize what ever you want.

The "Group Link 4: Defend" module do not have any limitations.

You can also synchronize "Location" groups with the "Group Link 4: Defend" module to make specific "Location" groups defend their position only.

@aeggwards1

Can the random position module be used with the enemy?

Good question.

It should work but basically it was made for player units/groups.

@CaptainBravo

Warning: The default initialize do not work in multiplayer.

Guess you are talking about the "GL4_High_Command.sqf" setting. Right?

The value which can be set to "True" in this setting is used to initialize the given "H.C." feature automatically by default without using a "H.C." module.

// GL4 High Command Reinforcement:
 // High Command Reinforcement Default:
 // Choose if the "High Command Reinforcement" feature should be initialized by default.
 // Warning: The default initialize do not work in multiplayer.
 // True / False, default is False
   // GL4_High_Command set [0, True];

If you set this value to "True" by removing the "//" in front of the variable then the "High Command Reinforcement" feature will be initialized automatically in singleplayer.

This only works in singleplayer.

If you like to use a "H.C." feature in multiplayer then you need to use the given "H.C." module.

@fideco

Maybe I'm wrong, but i think enemy A..I has now an attitude too much offensive, not realistic.

Well as far as i can tell i haven't changed anything which makes enemy A.I. react more offensive in combat.

The behaviour and combat mode and many other skills of the enemy A.I. will be set per random which means battles always will look/feel a bit different.

If you like to make enemy A.I. more defensive then you should take care about the general behaviours and combat modes of the "UserConfig\GL4\GL4_Global.sqf".

The behaviour and combat mode setting can change a lot about how enemy A.I. react in combat.

Combat and Combat Mode: ( GL4_Global.sqf )

// Enemy A.I. Reinforcement Behaviour: ( Combat )
     // Choose the enemy A.I. combat behaviour.
     // Note: Thouse behaviours are used by enemy A.I. which was requested as reinforcement and with enemy contact.
     // Info: [ ["FORMATION"], ["SPEEDMODE"], ["BEHAVIOUR"], ["COMBATMODE"] ]
       // GL4_Global set [6, [ ["COLUMN","WEDGE","VEE","LINE","FILE","DIAMOND"], ["NORMAL","NORMAL","FULL","FULL"], ["AWARE","AWARE","COMBAT","COMBAT"], ["YELLOW","YELLOW","RED","RED"] ] ];

1. Array: Formations

2. Array: Speed Modes

3. Array: Behaviours

4. Array: Combat Modes

Behaviour Descriptions:

"CARELESS" - Careless behaviour will cause the group move and behave in a very non-combat manner. The group will form into a Compact Column like formation, where each unit will directly follow the man in front rather than moving in a formation. Soldiers will carry their weapons in safe position (rifles across body, pistols holstered) and walk slowly. Infantry will not fire on enemy targets (unless they have wounded legs), but vehicles will still fire on enemies. Groups in careless mode do not switch to a more alert mode if enemies are encountered. All unit types show preference moving along roads whenever possible.

"SAFE" - Similar to Careless, except the group will change behaviour to Aware upon detecting an enemy unit.

"Aware" - This is the default behaviour mode. The group will move at moderate speed, with soldiers generally standing upright and making some occasional efforts to use cover when available. Most unit types still prefer to travel along roads and vehicles will travel in convoy irrespective of their current formation type. Tracked vehicles will not use headlights, and will drive across any surface with no preference given to staying on roads. Air units will not use lights. When enemies are known to be in the area, troops will disembark from any of their group's wheeled transport vehicles (trucks, cars), and the group will move while carrying out "bounding" maneuvers, making stronger use of available cover.

"COMBAT" - This behaviour mode will result in a much higher combat performance than Aware. Infantry groups will always move using bounding maneuvers, and will normally keep crouched or prone unless moving. They will make some use of available cover, choosing to spend some time crawling when in cover. They seem to occasionally send out one unit ahead of the group as a scout. No vehicles will use headlights at night. If enemy units are known to be in the area, infantry groups will move is a more cautious manner.

"STEALTH" - Stealth mode will cause a group to behave in a very cautious manner. Infantry groups will move via cover whenever possible, spending much of their time crawling. When they need to cross open ground, they appear to occasionally choose to send scouts running ahead to reach the cover ahead as quickly as possible. A stealthy infantry formation can tend to end up quite fractured. Wheeled vehicles will still follow roads if available, but no longer convoy. If enemy units are known to be in the area, infantry groups will move more closely together and spend even more time prone.

Combat Mode Descriptions:

"BLUE" (Never fire)

"GREEN" (Hold fire - defend only)

"WHITE" (Hold fire, engage at will)

"YELLOW" (Fire at will)

"RED" (Fire at will, engage at will)

After enemy A.I. had detected a enemy one setting of each array will be randomly selected and set by the enemy A.I. group.

So may play around with this. ;)

Edited by SNKMAN

Hey SNKMAN ;)

in the file "GL4_Global.sqf" (v1.1.87), is it normal that the "GL4 Get In" option is missing ???

in the GL4 v.1.1.85 Global Settings, there were this :

// GL4 Get In:
   // Choose if A.I. which is within 10 meters to a empty vehicle should mount the vehicle at mission start.
   // Note: This feature was made to overcome the assignment with the "moveInDriver", "moveInGunner" and "moveInCarog" command.
   // True / False, default is True
     // GL4_Global set [67, False];

in the GL4 v.1.1.87 Global Settings, this option doesn't exist anymore, #67 is replaced by this :

// GL4 Friendly A.I. Rearm: ( New )
   // Choose if friendly A.I. should be able to rearm if they are running out of ammo.
   // True / False, default is False
     // GL4_Global set [67, True];

BB

Edited by [GIBF]-BadBoy

Yes thats ok. :)

Since the latest version of Group Link 4 group(s) will be assigned to a vehicle only at mission start if the group(s) ( group leader ) was synchronized with the vehicle.

Same for all kinds of static weapons.

So you can set which group(s) should use the "Get In" feature by yourself.

Not sure if this is the appropriate place to pose these questions and if not I apologize but...

I am interested in the Zeus AI mod but also have read all the good things about the GL4 AI mods. I've read how to run GL4 WITH Zeus by turning off the AI Difficult in the GL4 userconfig.

My real questions however are:

What are the basic differences between GL4's AI mods approach compared to the Zeus AI mods?

Can one really perceive a meanigful difference in overall gameplay experience using one mod versus the other? Are the nuances just subtle differences or is it truly noticeable? And yes I am already sure its BIG difference for the better over "stock" Arma2 with either mod.

Is one really "better" than the other or is it more a matter of personal taste with each having strengths and weaknesses?

Edited by SeaVee

Hmm... I would say in the first place it's personal taste.

The + which can not be made with Zeus becouse it's config based is that you can modify all skill settings to your personal taste by editing the Group Link 4 setting script "GL4_Global.sqf".

It's not in my mind to say something bad about the work of others becouse the goal of every modder is always the same making things better. ;)

So best is to try Zeus and Group Link 4 and see what you like more.

Hi SNKMAN,

Thanks for another awesome release.

I was wondering if you might want to implement another configurable AI skill setting for spotting distance during the night (maybe fog too). The ECS mod for Arma 1 had the spotting distance reduced automatically in those conditions and it worked great.

@Robalo_AS

I was wondering if you might want to implement another configurable AI skill setting for spotting distance during the night (maybe fog too).

Yes agree. That's a really very good idea. ;)

Edit:

Looks like the spotting distance of A.I. already is affected by foc and day/night time.

Edited by SNKMAN

Edit:

Looks like the spotting distance of A.I. already is affected by foc and day/night time.

It sure is, ast it was with OFP and Arma but not enough IMO they seem too good at spotting you during the night without NVG or through the heavy fog. Being able to adjust that further would be great. It would have to be a regular check, for those long missions. Thanks for considering it.

Okay i will check the night detection again but the fog detection really looks pretty good by default.

Set the fog to heavy and place yourself ( West ) in front of a enemy A.I. group ( East ) 10 - 20 meters away and you will see that enemy A.I. will not react becouse the fog is too heavy.

Same goes to all fog values A.I. react like it was expected to the given fog distance.

I will make some tests at night and may i also could adjust the value if enemy A.I. use nv or not. ;)