Sign in to follow this  
Chill xl

SIX Aiaktalik map Beta1 released

Guys i see this all over the thread and it seems like there is a problem with people using the updater. Again: with people using the updater, not the updater itself.

Again: The publisher is using this updater to keep ppl up to date. That will be the same for stuff i will publish.Nobody claims you NEED to do this, all that is said is that the publisher will not do the steps to place it on mirrors himself.

If it is so important NOT to use the updater, why on earth dont you just get the island from somebody that did and make sure its at the mirrors. The publisher is then only NOT responsible for ALL the updates that he does as that is directly available for the people that DO use the updater.

Get some time to discover the updater. Its worth it, tahts all i realy say. If you dont find it usefull nobody says: you HAVE to!, so stop the complaints. This thread is NOT about the updater.

And yes to announce my and i suspect more addon makers will use this updater. Reason: It works 100% and if YOU choose not to use it then its YOU who needs to make sure its arranged in another way. That is nothing to be angry or pissed off about as you can just as easy say: i dont want that and move on with your life.

Edited by spirit6

Personally i don't understand what the whole fuss is about? I prefer not to offer you my addon the conventional way but trough the six updater, because that saves me alot hassle and for those that do use it, it will save alot of hassle for upcoming updates aswell.

Now as i already said anyone is free to host the addon, mirror it and offer a direct download link. It's only that i'm not going to track these mirrors, making sure they are up to date, and when there are serious problems making sure they get solved. This is all the hassle i don't want.

Btw, the great guys of Armaholic are already providing a direct download.

@Chill xl

A BIG thanks for this island addon!! I have been jonesin for some Afgan enviroment to use with ACE! Great job on what I have seen of it so far, look forward to some fun.

@All of the complainers about the damn updater

WTF over? How are you not able to use it properly? The ACE team and others have gone out of their way to make it easy enough for a mentally retarded person to install! Look either you use it or dont, if you want to use the addons or mods they are putting out, then install it. Quit wasting our time by complaining!

Turns out the .pbo file is available from the 2nd link on armaholic; absolutely stunning terrain! Good job Chill!

This thread is about the island Chill xl has been released, it is not about the oh-so-terrible six updater. And after all Chill xl as the creator of this island is the only one who decides how his content is distributed.

If anyone disagree with the distribution method he is free to ignore this addon, but stop spamming this thread with bashing the six updated and/or Chill xl for his distribution choice.

I will soon cleanup that mess here and remove all posts which contain any discussion about the six updater, no matter who posted them. If you want your post kept I suggest you edit it real quick.

All unrelated ranting and complaining removed, this also includes direct reactions to those posts.

Edited by W0lle

Guys its really simple, I followed the directions on the first page, but for a complete n00b like myself you will miss 1 important part, I hope im allowed to post this. Again this involves installing this mod so its kind of on topic. Its very easy and im actually happy now something like this exists.

Ok first install six updater, you can get it by going here. http://dev-heaven.net/projects/list_files/six-arma-updater

Once installed, click SixUpdater on your desktop, you should see a command prompt open up, press 1 and hit enter. your web browser should open up. Once it opens up click on configuration, and then synchronize.

Once you have done that, Click on configuration and then presets, you will see this screen, it has beta and vanilla, since im using beta, I click on the EDIT button under beta. as seen on this screenshot.

editgu.jpg

It will bring you to this screen, scroll down and do the same as I did, choose @six_aiaktalik and press ADD EXISTING, once you did that click UPDATE.

updaten.jpg

Now click on main, this is what I had, once done press EXECUTE.

> 100kb

Now a command prompt should open up saying whats being updated, and look its downloading the mod.

> 100kb

pretty sure thats how its done ? Worked for me.

As for the mod, incredible, ill be keeping a close eye on this

Edited by Rellikki
Posted images > 100kb

Tryed it out and map is vary nice but i cant chang it to night time. Put in 1900hr and 0200hr and still day time?

Edited by 1in1class
need

great canyon map, a little bit comanche 2 like. Will there be villages in the future?

Yes it does :). I have played it with the commanche mod and placed some tanks on the map. Man you can go trough those lower canyon's and stuff realy fast.Tomorrow i have a quick vid up for it. Right now i have a vid up for this island me having a tank battle. Go look it up " WinchesterDelta1" .

And thanks for the reply sickboy.. :)

Tryed it out and map is vary nice but i cant chang it to night time. Put in 1900hr and 0200hr and still day time?

I can set it to night just fine... try changing the month of the year or setting the time a couple hours later ;)

I can set it to night just fine... try changing the month of the year or setting the time a couple hours later ;)

Ya the time is bugged up i can only chang it to night or dusk by only the month and day the time has no factor in it:crazy:

Screen shot looks nice and would love ta try it out but the whole dl this and that just to get it working is an down size and not so fun nor easy for most of us people. Why would you not just have an dl link for the pbo or in an mod folder? I see that most people that come up and say well just dl the six updater and it down size the file size. But in all your still got to have that little downloader running ta get just an simple pbo file vary much an hassle in all ways. By making it for one mod for just that mod i can see that as it would be an mod product for its work but, to make all addons just for an mod as ACE and only way to get the addon is through ACE is far left field. I do like ACE mod but i dont have it dl cause of its ways of how you got to go about just to get it running. Addons for ArmA should not revolve around just one Mod like ACE.

That didn't make any sense in English, no wonder you can't get the thing working...

Ya the time is bugged up i can only chang it to night or dusk by only the month and day the time has no factor in it:crazy:

The time surely has a factor, but it seems there's a bit strangess here. The time / lighting looks like it is similar to Alaska or somewhere up north. Long summer days, hardly any night and short winter days, hardly any daylight.

Anyway, set the month to december and set the time on midnight and you will have nighttime with a nice full moon. :)

Maybe i will change the location to have different lightning, altough i first whant to research all the effects of the long and lat settings.

Thx. ArmAHolic for Normal Upload, and Normal Download now !!! :yay:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=8702

:cool:

No problem to all, but please keep in mind if you want to stay up to date with this islands progress (small updates to fix things) you will have to sort out the Six Updater, we will only host milestone releases since we cant update the mirror with every small change.

Of course if you don't mind using an old version for yourself you don't need that Six Updater and can simply wait for the next milestone release :)

Thanks a lot for the release of this combat area!

The area is really cool, it will take a lot time to know every place, so missions wont get boring.

Good Job!

hint: those complainers bout the updater thingy: just dont use it and stay on your islands ;-) you are not forced to use chills stuff

That didn't make any sense in English, no wonder you can't get the thing working...

K here lauzman lol wowzer iv got it working if ya look in the last post if ya can read that. Sorry if it did not make any sense in your english ha.. But im sure ya got it if ya can post this none sense.

@Chill xl

About the time issue if this is the way that its ta be by the time is only changeable by the month then i guess its not an bug. Just though that the time of day and night was done by well the time not the month.

K here lauzman lol wowzer iv got it working if ya look in the last post if ya can read that. Sorry if it did not make any sense in your english ha.. But im sure ya got it if ya can post this none sense.

@Chill xl

About the time issue if this is the way that its ta be by the time is only changeable by the month then i guess its not an bug. Just though that the time of day and night was done by well the time not the month.

Anybody understand this?

Also, yes the updater is a bit complicated but it's very much worth it.

I could set it up for you using TeamViewer if you can't get it yourself...

Anybody understand this?

Not me.

It is complicated, and while I haven't quite got it working to launch from the main site, it is perfect for updating the addons. After that I just use a regular shortcut to launch the game.

Really great terrain used here, makes the map look fantastic.

I hope that continued development includes some man-made features, however. At least some roads.

Anybody understand this?

Just quit with the kid bs k. Iv not said any thing about the Six updater for an min or about getting it to run so just let it go. If ya dont got anything ta say about this addon then take ya friend Lauxman and get on. Now i think ya understand.

Edited by 1in1class
need

For the very last time now, stay on topic or grab an infraction. It's up to you.

This goes especially for Darkhorse and Lauxman.

1in1class

Please use english language here without any slang or 'txt speak' not everyone understands. ;)

Real caves, like holes and tunnels going into the terrain arent possible as far as i know. Simulated caves, like objects placed ontop of the terrain in the shape of rocks/ground with a interior shaped like a cave/tunnel have been done. To get a good effect, blend into the whole map, i think custom made objects for the map are needed. Something i cannot do, as i'm not a 3d modeller.

Tnx for the feedback/suggestion though!

---------- Post added at 09:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

Btw, i'm currently redoing all the objects on the map and i think i'm going to tweak the textures colors again. In my opinion the current colors are too brown/yellowish, altough they give the "Arizona" touch, i would like to get neir Afghan colors (grayish, pinkish/kahki brown) pallet.

I would like to recreate something similar to these pics:

http://www.longwarjournal.org/images/Afghanistan-Kunar-patrol.jpg

http://www.armytimes.com/xml/news/2009/07/army_altitudes_072509w/072509at_mountains_800.JPG

http://www.aristo-webdesign.nl/gardinas/operation_Kapu.jpg

SIX Aiaktalik map UPDATED:

Six Aiaktalik beta 1.1

Changed:

* Placed ALL objects again from scratch

* Distributed trees/forest differently (more towards mountains, less towards plains)

* Added 3 other tree types for more diversity in forests

* Added big rocks to steep slopes

* Changed long/lat location for different day/night cycle

To get or update the map, use the Six Updater Platform by Sickboy.