Sign in to follow this  
mandoble

Mando Missile ArmA for ArmA 2

We want to launch MMA without the canLock = 0; settings - that's all.

Everything works fine without this change too.

Mando, when using a AA manpad in Gossamer Warfare i get the vanilla arma lock display and sound and in addition the sound which is the correct one from mando missiles.

I know already which sound i have to listen too when using it but new players get confused by it and whonder why their missile dont hit the plane/chopper they target at followed by frustration and then eventually by "shit mod/mission" statements. :mad:

Is there a way to disable the vanilla arma lock display and sound?

Ginger, this can be done with a replacement addon which changes the default configs of A2 manpads. Actually there are two options already available:

Xeno426's Improved Mando Portables or with Defunkt's mando_portables.pbo which is already included into mma pack (@mma\addons folder). This last one requires that you play in veteran mode (as far as I remember) in order to have all the BI self lock features gone.

PvPscene, perhaps best option would be to create another version of any of the above without canLock = 0, but then you will have the BI auto-lock back.

Edited by Mandoble

Xeno426's Improved Mando Portables or with Defunkt's mando_portables.pbo which is already included into mma pack (@mma\addons folder). This last one requires that you play in veteran mode (as far as I remember) in order to have all the BI self lock features gone.

Mine doesn't require that you play in Veteran mode for the lock systems to be disable; they are completely removed. I also edited the stationary AA systems (twin Igla and Stinger pads) and a few other missiles that Defunkt missed.

@ Mandoble

Thanks for the advice. We had to remove mando_portables.pbo anyway now as it

removes the Javelin interface when not having MMA active.

@ Mandoble

Thanks for the advice. We had to remove mando_portables.pbo anyway now as it

removes the Javelin interface when not having MMA active.

That's the point :)

Just make two mod shortcuts, one for MMA play and one for without MMA play. Then when players aren't playing a Mando-based mission, they can have vanilla systems back.

Ginger, this can be done with a replacement addon which changes the default configs of A2 manpads. Actually there are two options already available:

PvPscene, perhaps best option would be to create another version of any of the above without canLock = 0, but then you will have the BI auto-lock back.

Is there any way I can configure canLock = 0 in the script suite? I'm using domination with the mando script suite. I don't want our players to load a separate pbo file.

@ManPads topic:

Damn ... thought it would be like that (not changeable by you without an addon) but had to ask to be sure.

Is any workaround possible so it works without any addons for public play?

Like changing the behaviour of the manpad so it only allows the player to fire when it is having a lock? Or changing the manpad ammo to zero and changing it back to its earlier value when its having lock?

dikkeduif, Ginger there is no way that I know to modify the behavior of BI manpads without a change in the config, which implies some extra addon.

I can try to evaluate the option to keep removing the ammo from the manpad unless there is a MMA lock, while ATM this would not be feasible. Basically manpads are mando portables, the very same as Metis, Javelin, TOW and similars. And in order to fire you dont need to have any lock (cases of Metis, TOW). Removing the ammo and adding it later (in some filtered cases) might force the player to reload the weapon, which takes some time, might be time enough to lose the lock.

Note that Xeno's and Defunkt's addons are not mandatory, they are "environmental" addons, if they are present they act, if not they dont, but there are never dependencies between missions/MMA with them. So is not that you will be forcing players to use these addons, it is that you would be allowing players to use them at will.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. The reason i ask is because of new players and the feeling they might get that the manpads (AA in this case) are not working.

I mean lets think about it, imagine you are playing a mission with Mando Missiles in it the first time, there is a air threat you want to shoot down, you get a manpad (AA), you point it at the chopper/plane, you get a square, lock sound and a circle and you know it already because you played ArmA 2 earlier so you fire right? Of course there is an another sound you dont know yet but hey you got lock sound, lock circle/square already so shoot shoot shoot. Your missile does miss, you get powned (your expensive armor or units for example in Gossamer Warfare or even your base), you complain and dislike it. Its maybe a little bit confusing at the moment.

Iam just thinking about it try to find out about how to make it more self-explanatory and easy as possible for new players. So they see how nice Mando Missiles in real is and to make it more popular. I dont understand why its not used as a default mod on every server / mission. You even dont have to use a mod, you can integrate it into your mission, thats already a very big advantage if you ask me. The default BIS solution has to many flaws. With OA they changed the way how AA manpads and the javelin lock on (you have to wait 2 seconds or so for a lock, not enough but nice change) but they didnt integrate it into the other systems like for example the AG missiles from planes/choppers. In lategame warfare (without mando missiles) as soon a chopper or plane goes up, for example the KA52 with its vikhr it kills the enemy Team over the whole map within minutes when not even seconds. The other team will be not able anymore to move and to shoot down the plane/chopper is also a very hard task (mission impossible?) with the counter measures system from BI. You just spam counter mesarues and you will be good.

For example a few weeks ago there was an issue with the XR server (which is playing Warfare BE and Warfare BE ZGM all the time) and the missions were not on it for 2 or 3 days. They had to play Gossamer Warfare. They did and i thought "great! what a big chance. more people will see how good Mando Missile is and will hopefully integrate it into their mission". But no, end of the story was the people didnt get how it works properly and how strong it can enrich the gameplay. I talked with them later and asked how they liked it. After some discussion i had to notice in real they just didnt get how the Mando mechanics work -> frustrated -> mando missiles shit bla bla. The people who knew howto use Mando Missiles were talking good about it.

Frustrating. So i think it must be possible to analyse it and to change it. Sorry for going a little bit off-topic (AA manpads question). Just a little bit background of my asking.

The addons from Xeno and Defunk would solve the problem for servers which are playing mando enhanced missions and disallow people to join without this addons. But without a integrated mod downloader ingame this wouldnt happen = no solution for new players to Mando Missiles :(. So its only a solution for people which know about this AA manpad problem. But as they know already about it they know which lock sound is the correct one, how to use the manpad correctly they ultimately dont need the addon(s).

Edited by Ginger McAle

Ginger McAle solution is to tell (and maybe show) those people how it works before they get their hands on it. Perhaps ask mission makers to add a little note/info screen about the important facts/changes from vanilla -> customised gameplay. Something that people have to acknowledge before they start making mistakes or getting frustrated with new stuff. ;)

Goss' new version of Warfare will include a help option in the warfare menu that will give a quick rundown of all the important facts about how to use Mando. This is probably what you are looking for.

Goss' new version of Warfare will include a help option in the warfare menu that will give a quick rundown of all the important facts about how to use Mando. This is probably what you are looking for.

Yeah we can add a picture on manpads with a description.

Thanks for the reply mandoble, it's not such a big problem really, people just have to get used to it :)

May be I did miss to add something or might be I did remove something by mistake. But last time I used MMA manpads a gray text help with instructions was displayed all the time at the bottom left border of the screen (same as with Javelin, for example).

May be I did miss to add something or might be I did remove something by mistake. But last time I used MMA manpads a gray text help with instructions was displayed all the time at the bottom left border of the screen (same as with Javelin, for example).

That is there, people are just blind lol.

One thing I wanted to comment on though is that in the older versions (a while back, like pre-OA) I remember seeing the name of air units along with a red box around them in the air when they were in range of the MANPADS, but I don't seem to see that anymore (unless my colour blindness is getting worse :p).

These texts were removed to make the systems more reallistic. And yes, the instructions text is still clearly visible in the lower left corner. I can make this text to keep blinking, might be this way someone will take the time to read it.

These texts were removed to make the systems more reallistic. And yes, the instructions text is still clearly visible in the lower left corner. I can make this text to keep blinking, might be this way someone will take the time to read it.

Awwww I liked the red text stuff, it made it easier and more fun IMO, but if you are after realism, then I guess it was the right decision.

Well, remember that mission level (script suite) you may have these text back. Or any extra info that you may want to be displayed. All these is driven by custom hud scripts that can be modified at will and also created at will for new or existing systems. For example, the mechanics that drive the custom hud (apparently invisible) of the manpads are the same than these that handle the custom hud of the Apache (monocle, etc).

Well, remember that mission level (script suite) you may have these text back. Or any extra info that you may want to be displayed. All these is driven by custom hud scripts that can be modified at will and also created at will for new or existing systems. For example, the mechanics that drive the custom hud (apparently invisible) of the manpads are the same than these that handle the custom hud of the Apache (monocle, etc).

I guess that's true.

Sorry for the stupid question but can someone explain what this mod is? I watched the youtube videos and I think I'm missing something? Is it more or less a visual for a more realistic look or is there more to it? The video of the 1st person view in the attack chopper was confusing, what was going on? Was it just a demonstration of attacking from behind cover?

what this mod is?

Perineum, find here detailed (while outdated) description of MMA. And here a more updated online help. And here a full playlist of MMA vids (some are quite old already).

Basically, a framework that allows you to create anything missile-related, and that comes with many pre-created systems that the user can activate at will. It is also including the MMA Support Console and the mando bombs module. Basically a way to ask for support in a mission, from an evacuation chopper to a saturation cruise missile attack.

Hey Mando, I just noticed this on my server's RPT:

Error in expression <h, cos(_angh)*_radh, sin(_angv)*_radv];
drop [_drop1, "", "Billboard", 1, 3, _po>
Error position: <drop [_drop1, "", "Billboard", 1, 3, _po>
Error Generic error in expression
File mpmissions\__cur_mp.Takistan\mando_missiles\warheads\mando_missilehead1_nohe.sqf, line 128

It's spammed quite a bit in the RPT.

May you compare your warfare version of the script with the one included in the mma pack?

The code your are pointing at is quite basic and hardly would cause any error:

_maxspd = 30;
	_mass  = 1.275 + 0.3;
	_vol   = 1.0;
	_rubb  = 1;
	_size  = [0.25];
	_numdrops = 6 + random 6;
	for [{_i = 0},{_i < _numdrops},{_i = _i + 1}] do
	{
	   _angh = random 359;
	   _angv = (random 180)-90;
	   _rad  = 30 + random _maxspd;
	   _radv = abs(_rad * sin(_angv));
	   _radh = abs(_rad * cos(_angv));
	   _vel = [sin(_angh)*_radh, cos(_angh)*_radh, sin(_angv)*_radv];
	   drop [_drop1, "", "SpaceObject", 0.1, 6, _pos, _vel, 4, _mass, _vol, _rubb/8, _size, [[0,0,0,1]], [0,1,0], 5, 0.05, mando_missile_path+"warheads\smokedebrisa.sqs", "", ""];
	};

Here's the whole file:

// mando missile warhead type 1, only effects and scoring
// mando_missilehead1_nohe.sqf v1.0
// Jan 2007 Mandoble
// 
// Only effects and scoring, no added explosion so it depends on direct impact or explosion of the missile body
// This script may be used as explosion script argument for mando_missile.sqf
// 
// Big smoke and falling smoke debris

private ["_pos", "_target", "_targets", "_classtarget", "_rating", "_crewt", "_launcher", "_drop1", "_drop2", "_debris", "_maxspd", "_mass", "_vol", "_rubb", "_size", "_numdrops", "_i", "_angh", "_angv", "_rad", "_radv", "_radh", "_vel", "_size1", "_size2", "_pos2", "_b2", "_b1", "_dmgtarget", "_score", "_cost", "_side", "_unit", "_crew"];

_pos = _this select 0;
_target = _this select 1;
_side = _this select 2;
_launcher = _this select 3;

_targets = [];
/* 
Casos:
1 - Target plane: _targets = [_target];
2 - Target missile <- Lo destruye mandomissile.sfq atacante _targets = [_target];
3 - Target LG <- solo si en aire (nearestObjects 100, objeto mas cercano
4 - Target en suelo:
Si target GL _targets = nearestObjects
Si no _targets = [_target] + nearestObjects

*/

if ((isNull _target) || ((typeOf _target) in ["LaserTargetW", "LaserTargetE", "LaserTargetC", "Logic"])) then
{
_posl = _pos;
  if (!isNull _target) then
  {
	if ((_target distance _pos) < 30) then
	{
		_posl = getPos _target;   
	};
  };

if ((_posl distance _pos) < 30) then
  {
     if ((_posl select 2) > 20) then
     {
        _targets = nearestObjects [_pos, ["Air"], 100];
     }
     else
     {
        _targets = nearestObjects [_posl, ["LandVehicle", "Air", "Ship"], 25];
     };

if (count _targets > 0) then
     {
        _target = _targets select 0;
  	     switch (getNumber(configFile >> "CfgVehicles" >> typeOf _target >> "side")) do
     {
        case 0:
	    {
  		       _side = east;
	    };

case 1:
	    {
	       _side = west;
	    };

case 2:
	    {
	       _side = resistance;
	    };

{
	       _side = civilian;
	    };
     };		 
     };	 	  
  };
};

_dmgtarget = damage _target;
_classtarget = typeOf _target;
_crewt = crew _target;
_cost = getNumber (configFile >> "CfgVehicles" >> _classtarget >> "cost");

_drop1 = ["\Ca\Data\ParticleEffects\Universal\Universal", 16, 12, 8];
_drop2 = "\ca\data\cl_exp";
_debris = "\ca\weapons\kusplechu2";

_maxspd = 30;
_mass  = 1.275 + 0.3;
_vol   = 1.0;
_rubb  = 1;
_size  = [0.25];
_numdrops = 6 + random 6;
{
  _angh = random 359;
  _angv = (random 180)-90;
  _rad  = 30 + random _maxspd;
  drop [_drop1, "", "SpaceObject", 0.1, 6, _pos, _vel, 4, _mass, _vol, _rubb/8, _size, [[0,0,0,1]], [0,1,0], 5, 0.05, mando_missile_path+"warheads\smokedebrisa.sqs", "", ""];
};

_maxspd = 20;
_mass  = 1.275;
_vol   = 1.0;
_rubb  = 1;
_size1  = [3,7.5,11,15];
_size2  = [4,8,10,8];
_numdrops = 60;

{
  _angh = random 359;
  _angv = (random 180) - 90;
  _rad  = 20 + random _maxspd;

drop [_drop1, "", "Billboard", 1, 3, _pos, _vel, 0.5, _mass, _vol, _rubb/2, _size1, [[1,1,1,0.6],[0,0,0,0.5],[0,0,0,0.4],[0.5,0.5,0.5,0]], [0,1,0], 5, 0.05, "", "", ""];
  drop [_drop2, "", "Billboard", 1, 1, _pos, _vel, 0.5, _mass, _vol, _rubb/1.5, _size2, [[1,0.5,0,0.6],[1,1,1,0.5],[1,1,1,0.4],[1,1,1,0]], [0,1,0], 5, 0.05, "", "", ""];
};

Sleep 1;

call mando_scorefunc;

The error is happening on line 128, your code in the post above this one isn't that code.