Sign in to follow this  
chammy

New Sound Mod in the making, slowly but surely

What I find interesting is that I get different sounds from the same gun if I fire a lot.

So i'm not the only one hearing that, i thought i was going crazy :p

It seems to happen randomly, though at one point my M4 changed between 2 sounds on mag change, but that went away. Today i was shooting with the M240 and suddently the sound changed, weird :p

Hmm...most rifles sound like they are fired in a certain distance (like you hear them on TV from embedded reporters). It doesnt really feel like you are firing a rifle/gun from your hands.

Didnt test it with ACE2...

Well this Beta was released rather in a hurry though, not everything was quite polished up or given too much thought, we'll sift through it and add stuff. I'm trying to keep the weapon fire at a balance of 1st person and 3rd or distant sounding together, keeping a lot of the brashness and blare sound you hear in movies , out of the mod.:) Right now, I have no way of really fully testing all weapon sounds cause since I installed the patch i have had problems. Most of the sounds in CSM2 are vanilla, I don't know why.

---------- Post added at 08:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 PM ----------

So i'm not the only one hearing that, i thought i was going crazy :p

It seems to happen randomly, though at one point my M4 changed between 2 sounds on mag change, but that went away. Today i was shooting with the M240 and suddently the sound changed, weird :p

Yeah, I am also working on making a different sound but not to sound too too different to where it sounds mix matched:rolleyes:

Sounds amazing from the few vids iv seen. This has been my number one awaited mod. Unfortunately my computer hasent arrived from my previous duty station in Korea. the 19th. But untill than can some people make more videos?? Please!? I cant get enough CSM2 videos. Maybe some showcasing the 50 caliber browning at a distance?

I love the variation within each weapon sound. It not only breaks your own weapon sound up but most importantly when you've got five guys around you firing the same weapon it doesn't sound so painfully repetitive like it does in vanilla. Great decision, it's that kind of attention to detail that makes me feel fluffy inside.

Chammy, sounds like that earth quake might have jiggled your pc a little too much mate. Or it's time for a reinstall. I know...I know... painful.

Would it be possible to add an ambient wind sound linked to weather condition ?

About wind:

It was in arma1 so I guess its possible. I havent looked that far yet in arma2 configs. But I had it working in hifi_NA for arma1 so I guess its possible.

Would it be possible to add an ambient wind sound linked to weather condition ?

You could try XAM Environment converted to ArmA 2. I haven't tried it yet, but a few people posted saying it was good.

@JW Custom & 11_HARLEY_11

No crazyness, this was included to add variation and also because weapon sound depends greatly on the surroundings - the ArmA environment can sound rather sterile at times. We do work to keep the character similar, that said, the sounds that are distinctly different are there for testing purposes (remember this is beta for CSM3 development).

Chammy, soon as you have something your happy with let me know and I'll include it.

Hmm...most rifles sound like they are fired in a certain distance (like you hear them on TV from embedded reporters). It doesnt really feel like you are firing a rifle/gun from your hands.

Didnt test it with ACE2...

@NoRailgunner: Fair enough.

Purpose of the beta release were twofold: to get a beta with about three months development & testing in to the hands of those interested in taking part in the development process. Comments on weapon sounds are noted, but bear in mind there is more to come from CSM3.

Irrespective, CSM2 can already hold its own with the best ArmA 2 sound mod's and there isn't another that approaches its combat ambience.

Another major reason was to get the config proven by a larger audience - this has proven worthwhile as a number of problems have been fixed and documentation modified to meet everyone's needs.

CSM2 is also very flexible, use the modules with VOP Sound, Hi-Fi, ACEX_SM, TRSM, RH Heli Sounds to meet your personal preference.

We are working towards CSM3 and aiming for that 'weapon in your hands' feeling as far as possible - if anyone has high quality, close mic'd sound samples available that would surely speed up the process.

Protegimus

Edited by Protegimus

Well, I guess it's time for a clean install of ArmA2 again *sigh*. Frakin 1.05 patch screwed everything up. Oh, will, I need to install all patches through to 1.04?

Well, I guess it's time for a clean install of ArmA2 again *sigh*. Frakin 1.05 patch screwed everything up. Oh, will, I need to install all patches through to 1.04?

Nope, just installing the latest patch will suffice. :)

@JW Custom & 11_HARLEY_11

No crazyness, this was included to add variation and also because weapon sound depends greatly on the surroundings - the ArmA environment can sound rather sterile at times. We do work to keep the character similar, that said, the sounds that are distinctly different are there for testing purposes (remember this is beta for CSM3 development).

I know it's a beta but i take it your guys are interested in feedback :)

You could try XAM Environment converted to ArmA 2. I haven't tried it yet, but a few people posted saying it was good.

Just tried the XAM mod and it's pretty nice but there's some weird sounds from time to time. Specially the cat screaming like your driving over it is pretty creepy LOL :p

Just tried the XAM mod and it's pretty nice but there's some weird sounds from time to time. Specially the cat screaming like your driving over it is pretty creepy LOL :p

I replaced those sounds pretty quickly, really seemed unnatural, to say the least. :p

Hi Chammy, big Thank You for this outstanding sound mod!

There are some config bugs in csm2_c_weapons, most important is that is breaks ACE2 (can't use ACE throwables and losing other items when changing weapons in gear screen).

There's a simple fix for this:

class Throw : GrenadeLauncher {
	[color="DarkRed"]muzzles[] = {"HandGrenade_Stone", "HandGrenadeMuzzle", "SmokeShellMuzzle"};[/color]

Please get rid of the muzzles line, it has no place in a sound mod and it breaks ACE2 compatibility.

Same here:

class Put : Default {
	[color="DarkRed"]muzzles[] = {"TimeBombMuzzle", "PipeBombMuzzle", "MineMuzzle", "MineEMuzzle"};[/color]

Also you might want to look into the class inheritance, here are the relevant .RPT entries:

Updating base class M4A1_AIM_SD_camo->ACE_M4A1_GL, by CSM2_c_Weapons\config.cpp/cfgWeapons/ACE_M4A1_GL_SD/

Updating base class M4A1_AIM_SD_camo->ACE_M4A1_ACOG, by CSM2_c_Weapons\config.cpp/cfgWeapons/ACE_M4A1_ACOG_SD/

Updating base class M4A1_AIM_SD_camo->M4A1_Aim, by CSM2_c_Weapons\config.cpp/cfgWeapons/ACE_M4A1_Aim_SD/

Keep up the great work!

I've tried HiFi sound mod and VOP and they are great, but trying out CSM2 I was blown away, being under contact is much more intresting now.

I did find something out tho, the PKM/PKP both fire a 5 round burst, also the LAV and Bradley have a burst mode, im just wondering if this is a feature or not? Also when the LAV and Bradley fire the main weapon I only hear 1 shot the other 4 shots I don't hear.

But other then that it's a fantastic sound mod and im looking foward to CSM3.

I want to state off the bat, that I am really looking forward to CSM3 being a hit. But atm I would have to say CSM2 is not winning the battle against ACEX_SM. As a grunt veteran of OIF, I have to say that your sounds are needing some help. This is being said with the utmost respect for you guys as I am a fan of CSM. As you know the M16 is weak, I will say that you are on the right track (especially since you have that metallic, clink sound every time you squeeze a round off), but there needs to be a little higher pitch in all.

Next I would say the M203 sound is pretty vanilla and sounds too strong. Needs to be more of a short weak thump.

Grenade doesnt really seem to have been changed and sounds pretty vanilla arma.

M240 needs major work

Havent experienced any real intense firefights yet, but have heard great things about the cracking of rounds in CSM. All in all I wish you guys the best of luck and success.

I've tried HiFi sound mod and VOP and they are great, but trying out CSM2 I was blown away, being under contact is much more intresting now.

I did find something out tho, the PKM/PKP both fire a 5 round burst, also the LAV and Bradley have a burst mode, im just wondering if this is a feature or not? Also when the LAV and Bradley fire the main weapon I only hear 1 shot the other 4 shots I don't hear.

But other then that it's a fantastic sound mod and im looking foward to CSM3.

PKP change was implemented some time ago: fires in single shot automatic mode, please download an updated version from the download link (may be worthwhile waiting for next release, ACE2 config fix will be incorporated then).

Bradley has also been reported, I'll check it out thx.

Protegimus

I got things working again, funny thing is, I deleted all of everything that was in the arma2 folder before installing again, at first I was able to hear vanilla sounds when i used the Icon created in the installation. Then afterward I stuck the mods back in. Now its playing some of the old sounds I had created earlier on, even though the old sound.pbo file was deleted! And even with CSM2 in, I was able to get the sounds playing and I did something else and now CSM2 is playing some of the old stuff along with what ever vanilla sound there is.

I got things working again, funny thing is, I deleted all of everything that was in the arma2 folder before installing again, at first I was able to hear vanilla sounds when i used the Icon created in the installation. Then afterward I stuck the mods back in. Now its playing some of the old sounds I had created earlier on, even though the old sound.pbo file was deleted! And even with CSM2 in, I was able to get the sounds playing and I did something else and now CSM2 is playing some of the old stuff along with what ever vanilla sound there is.

I see you're running Windows 7 (judging by your signature), maybe you've got old .pbo's in that virtual Program Files folder? AFAIK it's active as long as you have UAC on.

I'm not really sure how to find it right now, but someone else might tell you the exact path.

Also check your ArmA2 folder in Documents if you don't have any pbo's there. Since 1.05, ArmA2 is able to load .pbo's from somewhere in the documents folder (never tried that myself though).

I want to state off the bat, that I am really looking forward to CSM3 being a hit. But atm I would have to say CSM2 is not winning the battle against ACEX_SM. As a grunt veteran of OIF, I have to say that your sounds are needing some help. This is being said with the utmost respect for you guys as I am a fan of CSM. As you know the M16 is weak, I will say that you are on the right track (especially since you have that metallic, clink sound every time you squeeze a round off), but there needs to be a little higher pitch in all.

Next I would say the M203 sound is pretty vanilla and sounds too strong. Needs to be more of a short weak thump.

Grenade doesnt really seem to have been changed and sounds pretty vanilla arma.

M240 needs major work

Havent experienced any real intense firefights yet, but have heard great things about the cracking of rounds in CSM. All in all I wish you guys the best of luck and success.

few meters form action and souns are different. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsEezNNm-W4&feature=related

The M240 and the M249 sound really bad in ACEX_SM IMHO, especially the M240 with that little 'cough' noise after every burst, the rest of the sounds are OK.

Updated version available at download link.

Config improvements are implemented (thanks Robalo_AS), M242 fire mode changed to single fire and M4 gets a decent new sound.

If you don't like the weapon sounds just take out the following .pbo & .bisign files:

CSM2_c_Weapons.pbo

CSM2_c_Weapons.pbo.CSM2.bisign

CSM2_s_Weapons.pbo

CSM2_s_Weapons.pbo.CSM2.bisign

Same for anything else you don't like - take advantage of the modularity.

Protegimus

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

CSM2 Userconfig file

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Userconfig CSM2 file was omitted from that archive. If anyone was unfortunate enough to download it before I corrected it, all you need to do is create a directory called:

CSM2

under the following path:

...\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\userconfig

Within this directory, create a text file called:

csm2_clientside_config.hpp

file contents are:

//Uncomment to enable replacement of ACE2 @ACEX_SM sounds
#define CSM2_ACEX_SM

That will get you going without having to download the complete archive again.

Thanks MiBF.

Edited by Protegimus
Userconfig file

Updated version available at download link.

Config improvements are implemented (thanks Robalo_AS), M242 fire mode changed to single fire and M4 gets a decent new sound.

If you don't like the weapon sounds just take out the following .pbo & .bisign files:

CSM2_c_Weapons.pbo

CSM2_c_Weapons.pbo.CSM2.bisign

CSM2_s_Weapons.pbo

CSM2_s_Weapons.pbo.CSM2.bisign

Same for anything else you don't like - take advantage of the modularity.

Protegimus

You forgot to add the userconfig to the archive.

just wondering, but is there no CSM sound for the Apache's cannon? If you listen to a Cobra firing from a distance it's still audible but the Apache's cannon seems almost silent even when it's flying close by (this is with ACE on as well).

but someone else might tell you the exact path.

C:\Users\******\AppData\Local\VirtualStore

It's hidden by default.