Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Dragon Rising has been released

Well, it seems to me that if ArmA2 employed a 63 limit on entities and a harsh AI distance reaction limit, then ArmA2 WOULD have the performance of DR.

I think I'll take ArmA2's performance with ArmA2's capabilities. I think we can agree here now that ArmA2 is a more extraordinary application than has been given real credit for. I also think people who know nothing about the complexities involved with making such an application are really not appreciating how difficult such an undertaking is.

I already liked ArmA2, now thanks to the release of OFPDR I have a whole new appreciation for BIS and the quality they bring to us despite the niche market nature of the product.

After reading, that OFP DR AI can use buildings and the AI in ArmA2 not... i made 2 little clips to show the truth. For an Ai which is not scripted it looks very imressive to me how they do.

15c676-4.jpg 15c6c4-4.jpg

Its not perfect, but they cover each other and they know how to get in a building... and i think with a bit of effort BiS could do it on a much better way with the micro AI.

After reading so much about DR (the first Rendervideos were nice and Codemasters said "Our game will look and feel like in this rendered videos) i thought it will be a good game... but now :rolleyes: ... mhhh

But know the most OFP/ArmA-Veterans know how hard it is to make a game like this... and i am waiting for OA and ArmA3 :D .

Someone wrote it as a comment in one of my xfire ArmA2-videos... now i can just laugh about it.. hehe ...16 year old naively COD-boy who was in dreams after the PR-Attack by Codemasters...

Regards Culti

I love the vids, great AI demonstration!

Hi all

Do not bother buying it.

If you need to test it you can pick it up in the bargain bucket in a few weeks for a fiver.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

How come the physics, driving and destruction models seem so bad with an engine made for rally racing game ? I thought the MP and entity limits were due to that...

Is it me or there's no normal mapping or parallax mapping on the ground ? (can't see in the video).

As far as the environment is concernced, and with the videos I saw, it feels like playing with Sahrani loaded in Arma 2... : Good FPS and draw distance + post process effects galore, but much lower density and complexity than Chernarus...

They have reflective water though and the particle effects look nice. I like the splatters on your screen to tell you where you were hit...

Probably a must-have for consoles. When you're alone, you don't even have to be good to be the best...

Hi all

Do not bother buying it.

If you need to test it you can pick it up in the bargain bucket in a few weeks for a fiver.

Kind Regards walker

Are you also selling already :p

I had better expectations for DR. I went to the shop paid £35 and after an hour I wish I could take it back.

I can't believe the difference between this and ARMA2. In DR everything is poor, and I mean everything. I am disappointed. Hit rates, 5 shots to kill a dude? Vehicle driving, I'd rather not. No 3rd person if you needed it, no free look, just not very good. People say that the grafics are good. They are much worse than A2, A2 is beautiful, blue skys, wonderful realistic trees, grass etc. Also the sound in DR isn't that great, in fact I rate the sound as poor. A2's whistle of bullets flying past your head is excellent. Ambient sounds also immerse you in the game, all is missing in DR.

Anyway, there's too many differences to list between DR and A2. A2 is, a bit glitch, but on the whole much better.

I feel like I've been mugged buying this game............I think we are spoiled with A2 and anything else is second rate.

I would not say DR is a bad game, not at all. It is just not the same category like the original OFP. It is targeted to a broader audience. The multiplayer is fun if you manage to get on a server that stays on. Out of 4 attempts last night I only finished one mission in MP. Other times I was disconnected.

I very much agree that a CM + BIS working together would make the best game ever. At this stage neither A2 or DR is that great.

I had better expectations for DR. I went to the shop paid £35 and after an hour I wish I could take it back.

I can't believe the difference between this and ARMA2. In DR everything is poor, and I mean everything. I am disappointed. Hit rates, 5 shots to kill a dude? Vehicle driving, I'd rather not. No 3rd person if you needed it, no free look, just not very good. People say that the grafics are good. They are much worse than A2, A2 is beautiful, blue skys, wonderful realistic trees, grass etc. Also the sound in DR isn't that great, in fact I rate the sound as poor. A2's whistle of bullets flying past your head is excellent. Ambient sounds also immerse you in the game, all is missing in DR.

Anyway, there's too many differences to list between DR and A2. A2 is, a bit glitch, but on the whole much better.

I feel like I've been mugged buying this game............I think we are spoiled with A2 and anything else is second rate.

so you er.. decided it would be cool to register an account and post one post like that? mmm. wow

anywho, i have yet to get my hands on a copy of DR, though i am excited. opinions seem to be both negative and positive, so dont know what really to think. doubt it will be a game that really turns me off though. ill get alot of fun out of it.

so you er.. decided it would be cool to register an account and post one post like that? mmm. wow

anywho, i have yet to get my hands on a copy of DR, though i am excited. opinions seem to be both negative and positive, so dont know what really to think. doubt it will be a game that really turns me off though. ill get alot of fun out of it.

LOL...... go for it. Don't say you haven't been warned. And don't go whining anywhere on why you can't get your money back.

And where are these reviews that say it's so great? They are even bashing it on the OFP/DR forums. Few of the guys on their forums are trying to get a lynch mob together. Except for the console guys, but I can understand their excitement. They have to justify to themselves why they bought a console in the first place, so when you throw them a bone, they go bonkers. Oh, and you have 18 posts. Funny how a guy with 18 posts slams a guy with 1. Whoo hoo!

Well, I got my friend's copy of DR today. Installed it and have started playing the campaign on Hardcore...

... And, I can't even complete the first mission. Not because it's hard or anything, but because the way that you get information of what to do is absolutely terrible. You have an objectives screen but in none of the hints does it tell you that the objectives are marked as numbers on the map.

I've got one objective - "Clear the LZ", that won't complete. I'm thinking it's the famous last loon problem, just in DR. But seriously, what exactly is the RADIUS of the LZ? It seems like it's from the west of the island to the east. All that distance and there are no enemy contacts that I can find.

First part of the mission was far too easy. They seem to have tried to increase the difficulty by making you go from one end of the island to the other. It only increases the frustration levels, especially when you get into a car to do so. Hit any object other than a tree and you are going to be sent flying high if you're going fast enough. It was hillarious when I rammed the lead car of the convoy when they surprised me as they appeared out of no where as I was driving while Sabre radioed me about them. When I hit it, it sent both me and it flying backwards by at least 500m. Was the most fun I'd had in the mission so far...

These aren't my only criticisms of the game so far. I won't list all of them here until I play a bit further. But so far, my opinion is that the game isn't even a good "game", let alone a military simulator. It's so damn broken due to terrible design decisions. Speaking of which, that radial command menu is really bugging me...

Well, I got my friend's copy of DR today. Installed it and have started playing the campaign on Hardcore...

... And, I can't even complete the first mission. Not because it's hard or anything, but because the way that you get information of what to do is absolutely terrible. You have an objectives screen but in none of the hints does it tell you that the objectives are marked as numbers on the map.

I've got one objective - "Clear the LZ", that won't complete. I'm thinking it's the famous last loon problem, just in DR. But seriously, what exactly is the RADIUS of the LZ? It seems like it's from the west of the island to the east. All that distance and there are no enemy contacts that I can find.

First part of the mission was far too easy. They seem to have tried to increase the difficulty by making you go from one end of the island to the other. It only increases the frustration levels, especially when you get into a car to do so. Hit any object other than a tree and you are going to be sent flying high if you're going fast enough. It was hillarious when I rammed the lead car of the convoy when they surprised me as they appeared out of no where as I was driving while Sabre radioed me about them. When I hit it, it sent both me and it flying backwards by at least 500m. Was the most fun I'd had in the mission so far...

These aren't my only criticisms of the game so far. I won't list all of them here until I play a bit further. But so far, my opinion is that the game isn't even a good "game", let alone a military simulator. It's so damn broken due to terrible design decisions. Speaking of which, that radial command menu is really bugging me...

I tried taking a car, but gave up, so we walked. I pointed myself in the direction I wanted to go, took a matchstick and jammed it in between the W and 3 keys. Then went for a smoke, and the dog out for a walk. I got stuck on a tree running though, but got a lot further than driving.

I very much agree that a CM + BIS working together would make the best game ever. At this stage neither A2 or DR is that great.

I would rather not see BIS and CM working together after seeing how they screwed their PC audience in favor for the console audience.

I also think that BIS got no need what-so-ever for CM, they are doing great on their own.

I do think ArmA 2 is great now and also was on release date :)

all BI needs is more resource and time to develope the engine to full strangth

We all need a first post. Post 2:

After reading the BI forum for a few years nothing has made me bothered enough to register until i bought DR.

After trying to play DR for a second time has made me dislike it even more. For e.g. In A2, I see an AI flanking me, I take aim, I shoot, he dies.

In DR, I see and AI flanking me, I take aim, I shoot, he carries on flanking, I shoot him again, blood splats, he continues to flank me, I SHOOT, blood, I SHOOT x3, and again.........He then shoots me and I die. WTF? This was played in hardcore mode too.

A2 and DR cannot be compared. One is an emersive game, the other not so.

DR is ok for console people but it cannot pretend to be on a par with ArmA2. I'm disappointed, I thought DR would be as good as the original which I enjoyed very much. Oh well.

How come the physics, driving and destruction models seem so bad with an engine made for rally racing game ? I thought the MP and entity limits were due to that...

Yeah well, if anyone thought ArmA2 physics are bad, you should see this one :)

Is it me or there's no normal mapping or parallax mapping on the ground ? (can't see in the video).

It isn't you. There is no parallax or normal mapping on any model...Just diffuse and some weird specular....

As far as the environment is concernced, and with the videos I saw, it feels like playing with Sahrani loaded in Arma 2... : Good FPS and draw distance + post process effects galore, but much lower density and complexity than Chernarus...

Yeah, without the PP effect, this game is, from a GFX POV null. It feels like placing a picture in PS and turning up way high the contrast, as well as messing with all the filters you can put your hands on, in order to make it look "attractive". Maybe it does for some, but not for me...

They have reflective water though and the particle effects look nice. I like the splatters on your screen to tell you where you were hit...

Indeed, the best thing so far out there, above A2 anyways.

You can find here a very short comparison (screenshots) from DR and A2:

http://www.kellys-heroes.eu/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1703&start=175#p26488

You can also read my full review here:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1458316&postcount=238

opinions seem to be both negative and positive,

Well so far I have heard only positive from Game Mags (tremendous suprise isnt it) and mainly negative from players (sounds are said to be good though).

Indeed, it's not so much that BI needs to specifically get back together with CM, but the belief that a larger publisher would give some more latitude instead of rushing the game through QA testing to get it out to certain markets more quickly. DR is probably a better game than it ius at the moment if they had decided to keep with the original release date in Q1.

Can someone tell me more about the limitations in the editor? Ive placed 20 scripts in it, where as I got a pop-up telling me that the maximum amount has been reached, and when I placed 65 soldiers, and set one of them as players, I got nothing but a grey screen upon attempting preview.

63 entities, what does this mean?

+1 infraction point for ignoring the guidelines in the first post.

You know... moderators really are meant to be unseen... not projecting their own perceptions or ideologies upon others.

Our statements were about a response to someone's comment about CM and BIS joining up and the reasons why and I believe was still inline with the discussion about DR.

Just because you may not LIKE our comments doesn't give you the right pass judgement at all. I'd call that an abuse of your moderator power.

+1 infraction point for public discussion on how the forums are moderated.

Besides this, the fact that I'm moderating here means not I can't post my opinions.

Well so far I have heard only positive from Game Mags (tremendous suprise isnt it) and mainly negative from players (sounds are said to be good though).

Kinda makes you question the so called integrity of these reviewers as hardly any of them mentioned the multitude of problems that players are proclaiming . CM is quite the formidible marketeer it seems as every game site has DR plastered front and center and they had they're core followers believing that all of this 'bad press' was being spawned by the evil BI fanbois. That thinly veiled effect seems to be wavering as the core is starting to realize - The Dragon has no Scales.

Edit- Cool script -rf-cultivator. Hopefully BI will implement a house script for the upcoming OA as that looks CQB dense and would be sweet to finally have Vanilla rather than modded in.

Edited by froggyluv

They could get some idea of "how to" from CM.

Like, why there are still plenty of people liking DR despite its issues, after having tried A2 (hint : much work on performance still to be done)?

If this could help, I'd gladly drop most of the graphical fancies from A2 to get the required smooth FPS (note that correct view distance object drawing is not "graphical fancy" :) )

I'm sorry if the question was asked before, did a quick search but didn't find anything. So my question is:

Is the game moddable(without any CM support)? I know its still early to ask but perhaps people already figured what can be changed without any mod tools.

Also did the CM devs say anything about modding support?

Nothing official about modding support, no confirmation if the tools will ever be released (if they exist) and if yes, when

I wouldn't be so sure, as it seems the whole game content is in ~520 8 MB files starting with win_000.000, win_000.001 and so on.

Of course the files are not readable, until someone found a way to decrypt/unpack them I see no way how you could edit the content or add new stuff to the game.