Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Dragon Rising has been released

As well as the need to jury-rig the game to run SLI via naming it cyrsis.exe? Please.

Alot of games require that, it's more a failing of SLI than ArmA's

Fair point out of the box its limits are low, (though there is a vid of someone using respawning well to get an insane battle going) And the 4 player co-op is lame also

give it time, if they release an SDK expect modders to go nuts!

You mean modders like Mando and stuff? I guess they are pretty busy with ArmA 2 ;)

I am dissapointed in a lot of things OFP:DR has. The textures were a complete dissapointment and the soldier animations look nothing like the real animation of real marines (sorry but true). The soldier animations are pretty much copied from BF. The models in this game feel like there from GRAW or something and the lack of weapon customization sucks.

This game is for CONSOLES and that is why it will never be accepted by us PC gamers. PC releases of a game need to be PC catered not ported. You can look at the installtion directory of OFP and see its a port by the file structure. Also looks as if modding will be a NO GO.

Flight controls were awful ad cumbersome. Vehicle controls are the same.

The editor however is much easier than any other editor I have used. The fact you can practice MOUT or CQ is amazing though and the whole building integration is far superior to anything else. Damage models to me are better by 100% than any other PC milsim and so are "some" of the animations. The Javalin animation is pretty cool.

Overall the game runs like silk and I am very impress with the LOD setup. Nothing POPS in and out and has a way more fluid feel. I feel like the game has its pros and cons and to a console gamer prolly has more pros THAN cons but for a PC gamer this will not keep us interested for long. The fact that this is more tactical shooter than actual simulation will prove that you can hussle the map rather than need to take your tie which in the end makes the game loose its appeal very quickly.

To the mods comment about what people are expecting... Well I can only say there needs to be an agency who quality controls every game. Im sorry but this unfinished/buggy/unpolished releases are becoming a normal practice by all game developers and its hurting all of the end users in the end. Money has become too big of a deal and the art involved in a game has suffered. Sure quality control will have its cons but the pros wil be finished products and that is where the gaming industry needs to head back toward. Also if a game developer promises something they will stick to it rather than jump ship and give somethign entirely different. With OFP I cant help but feel I have been lied to on a small level.

Britney Spears sells alot of albums, does that mean her music is good, or does it indicate that there are a large majority of dullards with extremely bad taste.

/Rhetorical question.

Eth

Around 300,000 trillions flies eat shit as well.. it doesn't mean that the are right and we should do the same.

DR is decent game, definitely good for console shooter, but has got really big identity crisis on PC and it's nowhere near the scope of ArmA 2

I am soo dissapointed with this game.

Other then being well optimized its pretty bad.

Negatives =

Horrible graphics, terrible online, bad controls, not very much realism, bad AI, rubbish animations and the fun factor isnt very high

Positives = Optimized well, Editor is better then expected and has a decent campaign in coop.

I really want to enjoy this game, but its very hard to. Not complete garbage but still nothing special at all.

I enjoy alot of codemasters games, but this one isnt all that good imo.

Just an honest opinion but its more of a console game then a pc game.

6/10 for PC standards

7.5/10 for console standards

Edited by kozzy420

OFP : DR X-Fire Stats

ARMA2 X-Fire Stats

The stats are updated a day later - DR hasn't even been full released. ( Look at the "highest rank achieved" stat )

Will be interesting to see how those stats compare in a months time...

(The phrase "a flash in the pan" springs to mind...)

Last post to you terribles.

OFP: DR has better reviews and has already outsold ARMA2.

ARMA2 is a broken game with less than 300 people playing at pique hours and has been out since.. July I believe?

Bad game is bad.

Sorry, but ARMA2 is just as bad as OFP: DR.

Will be interesting to see how those stats compare in a months time...

(The phrase "a flash in the pan" springs to mind...)

So true... Operation Flashpoint:DR will have good numbers on xfire minutes for the first few months while people are playing coop campaign, but after that it will die down. The multiplayer is bad and I dont see it having much staying power after you are done the campaign with a friend a few times (mess around on the editor will be the only thing really).

---------- Post added at 05:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:13 PM ----------

ARMA2 is a broken game with less than 300 people playing at pique hours and has been out since.. July I believe?

Bad game is bad.

Sales do not = quality

Look at all the idiots who buy SOulja Boy and Briteny Spears cds? You saying because people buy alot of those and listen to them often they are great?

Your logic is flawed.

I wanted OF: DR to do well but its not very good at all. While ARMA2 is a very good game with a few bugs. Having bought both games, its not even close in quality or fun factor.

I could care less how many people buy OF: DR just like I could careless how many silly people buy Soulja Boy, Britney Spears or 50 Cent cds.

Good Sales doesnt = quality

Let me guess... Titanic is probably your favorite movie because So many people watch it and have bought it, right?

OF: DR is less complicated and more appealing to the mainstream of people who like games like Halo and COD4. Plus OF: DR is on consoles aswell as PC so of course it has sold more. But which game will I be playing more after two months of there release? ARMA2 by a long shot. OF: DR only has its coop campaign and RUBBISH ONLINE that was tacked on, after im done with the campaign the only thing ill be playing is the editor.

Edited by kozzy420

Bad game is bad.

kindergarden?

Ace Combat 6/Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. has better reviews and has already outsold Microsoft Flight Simulator X/X-Plane.

Lie.

Lie.

Bad game is bad.

Who lied once...

Ok I bought DR too like many here, and I would say that it is a decent game, that you can play without hassles, or learning thousand commands. The flash menu is great, neat efficient; but settings are somewhat limited, all in all the game is way simpler than ARMA2, where ARMA2 is a kind of an open platform war simulator, DR is simply a game, and its life would be limited, the campaign is correct but you feel it as a repetition of the same objectives put at different places, there is no feeling about it in particular.

Here is a list of features I liked and did not like:

- Great effects for smoke especially scenery smoke

- Tracers are awesome

- Great dirt effects when bullets fly to you

- Grenades animations you see the pull

- Thermal sight

- Iron sights and even Aimpoint is not bad (Aimpoint is static)

- Buildings with glasses breakeable

- Ai ease of moving in buildings/houses

- In game tip to follow with missions

- PLA forces is original it change from Russians

- The campaign is more actual than cold war theme

- Scenery is too blueish or reddish, I guess it is to save on FPS

- Colors are screwed so you can't admire troops camo rendering

- Weapons of team mates shining not well made (ARMA2 put the level Hi)

- Blinking animations make game arcade

- Walking animation weird

- Sprinting more like speed walk

- Single missions are just the same as you played in the campaign (unlocked)

- Helos are not really simulated

- Lacks 3d view

- Weapons on full auto you can't select one or three rounds

Again I think DR is enjoyable for gaming it will not be remembered as a master piece, but achieve its goal to fill the gap ARMA2 didn't allow us to enjoy.I did not encounters bugs, game runs fine at max settings, I did buy the game because there was a promotion at my supermarket, and I was curious on how it could compare with ARMA2; even if many like me bought that game, I'm sure I will buy ARMA2 future releases it would be stupid not to buy any games outside ARMA, since players of DR would buy ARMA2 and vice versa.

Edited by Katrician
Typed descent instead of decent

Ok I bought DR too like many here, and I would say that it is a descent game, that you can play without hassles, or learning thousand commands. The flash menu is great, neat efficient; but settings are somewhat limited, all in all the game is way simpler than ARMA2, where ARMA2 is a kind of an open platform war simulator, DR is simply a game, and its life would be limited, the campaign is correct but you feel it as a repetition of the same objectives put at different places, there is no feeling about it in particular.

- Tracers are awesome

- Thermal sight

- Lacks 3d view

Again I think DR is enjoyable for gaming it will not be remembered as a master piece, but achieve its goal to fill the gap ARMA2 didn't allow us to enjoy.I did not encounters bugs, game runs fine at max settings, I did buy the game because there was a promotion at my supermarket, and I was curious on how it could compare with ARMA2; even if many like me bought that game, I'm sure I will buy ARMA2 future releases it would be stupid not to buy any games outside ARMA, since players of DR would buy ARMA2 and vice versa.

good post

Found BF2 better than OFP:DR wanted to try it, kinda annoyed I wasted money on it but hey you live and learn. On a good note its great kudos for ARMA 2 and just shows how much hard work BIS have put into the game.

How a game could be good? No lean, no jets, limated mp maps, no dedi server. It will be dead in a month if not sooner. Alls they did was made a BF style game with ranks slapped the OFP name on it then claimed it to be good when alls it is is crap nuff said. MP games being hosted at one time I saw were maybe 15 at most an all lagged out to th point it's unplayable.

Ok I bought DR too like many here, and I would say that it is a decent game, that you can play without hassles, or learning thousand commands. The flash menu is great, neat efficient; but settings are somewhat limited, all in all the game is way simpler than ARMA2, where ARMA2 is a kind of an open platform war simulator, DR is simply a game, and its life would be limited, the campaign is correct but you feel it as a repetition of the same objectives put at different places, there is no feeling about it in particular.

- Tracers are awesome

- Thermal sight

- Lacks 3d view

This man knows how to make objective assessments, please take note.

Whilst i do believe ArmA2 is without a doubt the better piece of software,

"it will not be remembered as a master piece, but achieve its goal to fill the gap ARMA2 didn't allow us to enjoy."

Is a perfect way to describe OFP DR.

Edited by xmongx

- Can anyone give an example of a game that has had a more deceptive publicity campaign?

Crytek faked videos for Crysis for months before release.

IE. Throwing a korean through a building wall leaving a hole.

the god rays many of the videos were faked.

I sadly bought OFP:DR today...

It´s completely messed up.

- You cant move your head nor are you able to lean left/right.

- Trees are made out of concrete.

- AI is too stupid to drive around trees.

- Graphics are blurred. (thats what i would expect about a lsd-trip)

- View distance is laughable (fog...).

- Infantry movement looks weird.

- Damage model of vehicles aren´t present (you can destroy every vehicle by gunfire).

- you can fire a whole magazine on enemies without dying

- In "hardcore"-mode you can still see enemy positions (map)

- did i mention physics ? there aren´t any...

- its compareable to battlefield, but nothing more

so at least i return my copy tomorrow...

this game doesn´t deserve the name "operation flashpoint".

simple entertain-me weasels.

He said "simple entertain-me weasels"....:D that's pretty funny.

Ok.... so I'm a sucker for pain, I feel like Bill Murray in "Little Shop of Horrors.."

I (tried) to play Operation Flash Point again, since I was stupid enough to buy it without thinking.

I have found a new game to play.... in it. Think of it as a sub-game.

My game is called:

See how many rounds you can take by a stationary machine gun before really dying.

Here's how to beat it......

Get in front of one and let them start shooting at you. Once you take a few hits, and start bleeding out.... move a few feet left or right (really confuses them if you do that.) med yourself up.

Stand back up and move back into the line of fire.....

Rinse repeat. But you have to have a buddy med you a few times.

So far, I've taken full frontal shots from 4 rounds of this. At one point the gunner glitched? Or ran out of ammo or something cause he was just starting at me. So I walked up and shoved my knife in his face.

God I hate this game.

I uninstalled before I had a stroke laughing.

Edited by [RIP] Luhgnut

Luhgnut;1459201']He said "simple entertain-me weasels"....:D that's pretty funny.

Ok.... so I'm a sucker for pain' date=' I feel like Bill Murray in "Little Shop of Horrors.."

I (tried) to play Operation Flash Point again, since I was stupid enough to buy it without thinking.

I have found a new game to play.... in it. Think of it as a sub-game.

My game is called:

See how many rounds you can take by a stationary machine gun before really dying.

Here's how to beat it......

Get in front of one and let them start shooting at you. Once you take a few hits, and start bleeding out.... move a few feet left or right (really confuses them if you do that.) med yourself up.

Stand back up and move back into the line of fire.....

Rinse repeat. But you have to have a buddy med you a few times.

So far, I've taken full frontal shots from 4 rounds of this. At one point the gunner glitched? Or ran out of ammo or something cause he was just starting at me. So I walked up and shoved my knife in his face.

God I hate this game.

I uninstalled before I had a stroke laughing.[/quote']

I do believe this was one of the many blatantly dishonest Clarion calls of the DR proponents : 1 shot, 1 kill.

On that note, "Thank you sir, may I have another"

:rolleyes:

- Tracers are awesome

- Thermal sight

- Lacks 3d view

Finally some one with some common sense who can actually review the game with a neutral point of view, cheers :)

I knew that OFP:DR was going to be a bad game, im glad i didint bought it.

Bad game is bad.

Sorry, but ARMA2 is just as bad as OFPDR.

Please ban this guy, your obviously only here to stir up rubbish and try debate that OFPDR Is better than ARMA2, which btw, you have failed miserably at. Between you and that space guy (67 posts out of 68 ALL in OFPDR forum arguments) we could really do without you here.

It makes no odds what your opinion of Arma2 is, we are debating the merits (or lack of) of OFPDR. Btw peak (yes peak not pique) hours the servers are pushed to about 1500 players, not the 300 you keep quoting.

ARMA2 is no longer in any way shape or form broken, BIS supported and listened to the community and provided the correct patches as necessary, which fixed some slight problems with a great game, unfortunately for OFPDR no amount of patches can re-design the entire ego engine.

Finally, try not to forget when you keep attempting to push your sales figures down our throats that OFPDR is released on Xbox360, PS3 and sadly PC as well so is it not reasonable to expect the console community will have VASTLY accelerated the sales against ARMA2, which is so far only available on PC. Lets face facts, its probably the best game in this genre available on console at this time, so it is quite obvious that the sales figures will reflect that.

If you hadn't come in here spouting your mouth, insulting the community and then trying to push absolute random player numbers and completely false information about A2 you may have received a slightly more congenial response. For the final time, we are not comparing or discussing ARMA2, we already know how damn good it is, this thread is for discussion of OFPDR, which as we now know...isn't so damn good.

Edited by Fortran

Please ban this guy, your obviously only here to stir up rubbish and try debate that OFPDR Is better than ARMA2, which btw, you have failed miserably at. Between you and that space guy (67 posts out of 68 ALL in OFPDR forum arguments) we could really do without you here.

It makes no odds what your opinion of Arma2 is, we are debating the merits (or lack of) of OFPDR. Btw peak (yes peak not pique) hours the servers are pushed to about 1500 players, not the 300 you keep quoting.

ARMA2 is no longer in any way shape or form broken, BIS supported and listened to the community and provided the correct patches as necessary.

Finally, try not to forget when you keep attempting to push your sales figures down our throats that OFPDR is released on Xbox360, PS3 and sadly PC as well so is it not reasonable to expect the console community will have VASTLY accelerated the sales against ARMA2, which is so far only available on PC. Lets face facts, its probably the best game in this genre available on console at this time, so it is quite obvious that the sales figures will reflect that.

If you hadn't come in here spouting your mouth, insulting the community and then trying to push absolute random player numbers and completely false information about A2 down our throats you may have received a slightly more congenial response. For the final time, we are not comparing or discussing ARMA2, we already know how damn good it is, this thread is for discussion of OFPDR, which as we now know...isn't so damn good.

He's already on a perma holiday :)

Eth

Fortran

He left us already. Asked to be banned by PM and the nice people we are, we try to make every wish come true when possible. :)

After reading all these Arma II and OFPDR comparisons, and with the lack of an OFPDR demo, I broke down and finally bought Arma II. It's installing now, but I'm excited to see the whole map and the rest of the vehicles.

I think BIS should be thankful for Codemasters incompetence. ;)

(I'm still waiting to try the OFPDR demo with an open mind, though.)

Edited by Praelium