Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Dragon Rising has been released

Comparsion of the vehicles in ArmA II and OFP, part 2: Helicopters

Ouch...lol that really pretty much sums it up, its actually quite painful to look at them side by side like this. Aside from the insane lack of polygons what on earth is the resolution of their texture sheets...looks like 512x512 for the entire helo at the max.

*all comparison images*

Ooh nasty. The DR images have an odd effect of looking somehow "clouded", like you're half asleep or something.

Is it me or does the DR PP look like a simple colour wash?

The only way the campaign is even remotely bearable is if you play it in coop with friends. I've played a few missions with Rellikki and it's been much more fun than it is playing alone. In SP, there's almost 0 fun to be had. No story, no characters, no involvement, just... Bad.

All in all the negative reviews of the game have mostly been completely accurate. The game is pretty damn bad. And that's not just because it's not OFP. It's just a bad game itself. If you've been lucky enough to have not purchased it yet - don't. At least try the demo, if there ever is one. If there isn't, don't gamble on liking it. I would say you probably won't.

Nice comparison Wolle. I made again a little Clip showing how you can use the AI in ArmA2. Because i don´t have OFP DR it would be great if somebody of you could make an comparison-video in Dragon Rising... There are no good videos outside which show how to command your own teammates and how they interact with the enviroment and urban areas.... The Commanding-System is one of the important things in games like these.

Sry .... i made the vid. on Widescreen, but after the use of Win. Moviemaker its not widescreen anymore...

15cfa4-4.jpg

Regards Culti

The only way the campaign is even remotely bearable is if you play it in coop with friends. I've played a few missions with Rellikki and it's been much more fun than it is playing alone. In SP, there's almost 0 fun to be had. No story, no characters, no involvement, just... Bad.

All in all the negative reviews of the game have mostly been completely accurate. The game is pretty damn bad. And that's not just because it's not OFP. It's just a bad game itself. If you've been lucky enough to have not purchased it yet - don't. At least try the demo, if there ever is one. If there isn't, don't gamble on liking it. I would say you probably won't.

I disagree, Ive been having loads of fun even in SP. My review: if you enjoy playing games in your free time then absolutely give it a go. Its got a great atmosphere and is definitely more mil-sim then any other FPS but its not as harcore as ArmA2 (and it will also not CTD to desktop every 10 mins :P). Command system is intuitive once you familiarize yourself. Sounds are fantastic. Animations are top notch (I always hated how the ARMA 2 soldier sprint, always looked abit retarded to me) including authentic looking reloading anims etc. FLIR kicks ass, so do lasers and flashlights :) All the people here complaining about AI... I really feel like we're playing a different game, im playing on Hardcore setting and they just keep on kicking my ass, hiding behind trees and objects. Most notably how slick the game looks. Yes textures look alittle less detailed but as you are playing missions it doesnt even catch ur attention and at least I dont have to stare at 10 white vehicles and houses every time while waiting till the textures pop up.

Im sorry if my review angers anyone but I honestly believe that the game is being over criticized, I would give it 8.5/10. If you take ArmA 2 graphics + modding possibilities+functionality, make them smooth, and apply the level of DR's professional slickness (polishing)+ make it bugfree (or at least playable) you would have heck of a game.

Despite the endless dribble from over obsessed and never satisfied "elitist" (If you can use such a word since most of the ARMA players I've run across can't play the game for very well) I can point to several key things that differentiate and place OFP: DR over ARMA/2 as a game.

#1 - The game works.

#2 - The doesn't require endless tweaking to make it work.

These two things alone will always place OFP: DR above ARMA2 in the eyes of both reviewers and gamers.

What is shame, that most of you saying that game is bad, but still you bought or preordered game. In fact you say to publishers let do that again, again promise things that are not technically possible, lay and steal ideas, make renders and photoshoped sshots. If players ask why games look today as they look, its because that. Because lot of people are able to buy, preorder just because PR and previews at magazines that are dependend on advertising sales. Its sad, where game industry going

That's really rich coming from you. Considering that BIS did the same exact thing with ARMA2 and left the community to fix the majority of their screw ups from poor Q&A testing. And, well, everything.

It took me several months since I purchased the game to be able to actually play and complete the mediocre campaign that BIS made. Why did it take that long? Because that's how long it took for BIS to patch and fix something that should have worked on day one of the game being launched.

I mean really, has anyone ever played a game where the single player portion is broken and unplayable other than ARMA2? Oh wait, ARMA1. Never mind.

Majority of the reviews from notable and respected reviewers are in the positive. Sorry.

I read this entire thread and I would be foolish to not expect every one of you to challenge me. But please, I welcome it.

The two points I presented at the beginning of my post will trump any argument you can make when trying to compare ARMA2 to OFP: DR.

You know, if you had phrased your post a little less hostile then I would have actually listened to it and, who knows, we may have had a mature discussion of the topic. Take Soul_Assassin's post as an example of how you should have posted.

However, your repeated slagging off of everyone else and their opinion in your post immediately removes all credibility for what you are saying. People have a right to their opinion and just because it disagrees with yours doesn't make it wrong.

The two points I presented at the beginning of my post will trump any argument you can make when trying to compare ARMA2 to OFP: DR.

Game's working brilliantly on my end. Try again. ;)

#1 - The game works.

Well if thats your argument, minesweeper on my pc works and requires no tweaking at all...but that alone does not make it a "better" game.

At the end of the day if you enjoyed the game that's all well and good, as did I, but to say it is better than A2 just because of those 2 points is pretty invalid. There will be plenty of satisfied customers for OFP2 around the world but the chances of you finding those people amongst a community who expects and is provided with more in a game than just a superficial "military-esque" experience is not feasible.

You know what's sad?

The OFP/DR fans rank OFP over Arma2 based on the fact that their machines can't run Arma2 for some reason.

We are now basing the quality of a game, by the fact if it runs or not.

What a sad state of affairs.

Luhgnut;1458994']You know what's sad?

The OFP/DR fans rank OFP over Arma2 based on the fact that their machines can't run Arma2 for some reason.

We are now basing the quality of a game' date=' by the fact if it runs or not.

What a sad state of affairs.[/quote']

I understand that point, but if a game doesn't run...what's the point of it in the first place. Just playing devil's advocate.

It's like saying I have the best car/boat/plane ever made...but it can't move. Would a person go and buy the best car/boat/plane even if it can't move anywhere, or would they get an inferior product that actually moved them somewhere...then again, which is really the inferior product.

Just something to think about. Arma 2 works fine for me and give me a couple weeks to beat the OFPDR campaign at my friend's place and I'll be right back wasting hours in the Arma 2 editor. The point is, it is true that OFPDR is more reliable than ARMA2 but for me Arma2 works. I feel sorry for those that are still having problems.

Don't make too much fun of my comparison :)

Majority of the reviews from notable and respected reviewers are in the positive. Sorry.

Majority of those reviewers never played ofp or any mil sim. Much like any of your notable reviewers having only played games released 2 years ago(anything older is considered old school and people who like those games are nostalgic) when they review any specific genre game. Sorry :(

#1 - The game works.

ArmA 2 works acceptably for me, and that's with out-of-box settings. Guess I'm lucky, eh?

Edited by echo1

Despite the endless dribble from over obsessed and never satisfied "elitist" (If you can use such a word since most of the ARMA players I've run across can't play the game for very well) I can point to several key things that differentiate and place OFP: DR over ARMA/2 as a game.

#1 - The game works.

These two things alone will always place OFP: DR above ARMA2 in the eyes of both reviewers and gamers.

That's really rich coming from you. Considering that BIS did the same exact thing with ARMA2 and left the community to fix the majority of their screw ups from poor Q&A testing. And, well, everything.

It took me several months since I purchased the game to be able to actually play and complete the mediocre campaign that BIS made. Why did it take that long? Because that's how long it took for BIS to patch and fix something that should have worked on day one of the game being launched.

I mean really, has anyone ever played a game where the single player portion is broken and unplayable other than ARMA2? Oh wait, ARMA1. Never mind.

I read this entire thread and I would be foolish to not expect every one of you to challenge me. But please, I welcome it.

Works great for me. Best not to project your problems on to others. Your points don't trump anything I'm afraid.

Secondly, most of us didn't buy any of BI's game for the stock SP. Even if it was perfect, there is a max of 20 hours of gameplay (that goes for ANY game these days).

Oh and your first post = FAIL

Bye,

Eth

Edited by BangTail
Accuracy

@BuzzCutPsycho

With things like

or

its quite obvious that you registered looking for a fight and not for a mature discussion so make everyone a favor and stop here. We really don't need another thread locked...

@cjsoques

Like you said the ARMA2 is unplayable for some people, that doesn't mean that the game is broke. Even thought there are around 100-200 users who complained one this forum about the game being bugged, unless someone can provide some good statistics I can only assume that they are no more than 10% of all the people who bought the game. Which for me sounds quite reasonable since ARMA2 deals with issues never addressed before in a video game. I had many CTDs with games from well known developers. For example FIFA 08 just didn't work for me. It CTD almost every time I played on multiplayer.

Edited by BogdanM

I disagree, Ive been having loads of fun even in SP. My review: if you enjoy playing games in your free time then absolutely give it a go. Its got a great atmosphere and is definitely more mil-sim then any other FPS but its not as harcore as ArmA2 (and it will also not CTD to desktop every 10 mins :P). Command system is intuitive once you familiarize yourself. Sounds are fantastic. Animations are top notch (I always hated how the ARMA 2 soldier sprint, always looked abit retarded to me) including authentic looking reloading anims etc. FLIR kicks ass, so do lasers and flashlights :) All the people here complaining about AI... I really feel like we're playing a different game, im playing on Hardcore setting and they just keep on kicking my ass, hiding behind trees and objects. Most notably how slick the game looks. Yes textures look alittle less detailed but as you are playing missions it doesnt even catch ur attention and at least I dont have to stare at 10 white vehicles and houses every time while waiting till the textures pop up.

Im sorry if my review angers anyone but I honestly believe that the game is being over criticized, I would give it 8.5/10. If you take ArmA 2 graphics + modding possibilities+functionality, make them smooth, and apply the level of DR's professional slickness (polishing)+ make it bugfree (or at least playable) you would have heck of a game.

AI hiding behind trees.... what, that's all I've seen them doing. Hiding behind the nearest tree. Popping out. shooting 3 times. Hiding back.

Easy to beat as hell. Just wait for him to come out, you hit him first, that makes him retreat back behind the tree before he even shoots. Rince, repeat. A turkey shoot.

Sound are fantastic.... when you hear them, because they have this tendency to cut out suddenly.

FLIR kicks ass, that's quite an understatement. I hope OA FLIR won't be as much a cheat as this one, but I applaud the effort anyway, I'm sure it's partly the reason why we'll have FLIR in OA

The performance kicks ass too. I just hope it's not the level of over-reducing of rendering that do this. Removing man-tall bushes 50m away is a big, big, big mistake... may I say bug?

If you want to find flaws in DR, I guarantee you, I can find many. Perhaps as much as A2 (which, btw, CTDd a grand total of 3 times since german release for me. I must be a bad man to have the game running, isn't it?)

I won't even go in the MP department.

None of both games is perfect. As much as advocating DR death and A2 winnage is silly, doing the opposite is equally idiotic

Animations are top notch (I always hated how the ARMA 2 soldier sprint, always looked abit retarded to me) including authentic looking reloading anims etc.

Amazing, I too feel like you and I have experienced different games. Before I considered textures, sound, AI or anything else I was most immediately turned off by the comical jog/run animations, too regular and played too fast. In contrast I find ArmA's very authentic and immersive, one advantage (amongst the various compromises) of full body animations viewed in the first person.

Just a mention.... just noticed.

But in the Arma2 forums over 200 people in there.

I have rarely seen it go over 70 or so at one time. Looks like more people are checking out arma2 since OFP let em down.

Works great for me. Best not to project your problems on to others. Your points don't trump anything I'm afraid.

Secondly, most of us didn't buy any of BI's game for the SP. Even if it was perfect, there is a max of 20 hours of gameplay (that goes for ANY game these days).

Eth

Erhm, I bought it entirely for the SP and have been playing it (or editing) almost daily since the German release. I guess you meant the stock campaign which would be true, but there are so many good user mission and campaigns coming out that it supplies almost limitless gameplay.

Since release, only a couple of CTD's and they were caused by my excessive mod-mashing. Game runs well on my modest mid-range rig.

Considering that BIS did the same exact thing with ARMA2 and left the community to fix the majority of their screw ups

I am sorry to say this but that is part of the OFP concept. ArmA attracts proactive constructive people not simple entertain-me weasels.

Erhm, I bought it entirely for the SP and have been playing it (or editing) almost daily since the German release. I guess you meant the stock campaign which would be true, but there are so many good user mission and campaigns coming out that it supplies almost limitless gameplay.

Since release, only a couple of CTD's and they were caused by my excessive mod-mashing. Game runs well on my modest mid-range rig.

Yah sorry, I meant SP out of the box, NOT user created SP just to be clear.

Eth

IMO ArmA 2 beats DR in every way except:

Voice acting

Performance

Interface (in terms of ease of use, not functionality.)

Edited by randir14

AI hiding behind trees.... what, that's all I've seen them doing. Hiding behind the nearest tree. Popping out. shooting 3 times. Hiding back.

Easy to beat as hell. Just wait for him to come out, you hit him first, that makes him retreat back behind the tree before he even shoots. Rince, repeat. A turkey shoot.

Sound are fantastic.... when you hear them, because they have this tendency to cut out suddenly.

FLIR kicks ass, that's quite an understatement. I hope OA FLIR won't be as much a cheat as this one, but I applaud the effort anyway, I'm sure it's partly the reason why we'll have FLIR in OA

The performance kicks ass too. I just hope it's not the level of over-reducing of rendering that do this. Removing man-tall bushes 50m away is a big, big, big mistake... may I say bug?

If you want to find flaws in DR, I guarantee you, I can find many. Perhaps as much as A2 (which, btw, CTDd a grand total of 3 times since german release for me. I must be a bad man to have the game running, isn't it?)

I won't even go in the MP department.

None of both games is perfect. As much as advocating DR death and A2 winnage is silly, doing the opposite is equally idiotic

Well thats what i'd do if im caught in crossfire and the only thing to hide behind is a tree :) No sounds cut off for me, maybe ur soundcard has probs? About FLIR being a cheat... y do u suppose the army uses it? because it IS a cheat. I also dont have bush problems, at least none that I noticed.

Amazing, I too feel like you and I have experienced different games. Before I considered textures, sound, AI or anything else I was most immediately turned off by the comical jog/run animations, too regular and played too fast. In contrast I find ArmA's very authentic and immersive, one advantage (amongst the various compromises) of full body animations viewed in the first person.

Well, difference of opinion is nothing to get upset at, I like the DR anims :)

I am sorry to say this but that is part of the OFP concept. ArmA attracts proactive constructive people not simple entertain-me weasels.

That's true. I've always felt that.