Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Dragon Rising has been released

I reckon the Codies "community" is doing enough of that at the moment, without the ArmA modding community joining in...

Like I say, I agree there's massive lulz in it, but I'd rather see our talented modders spending time building killer ArmA content, than kicking a poor dying Dragon to death, it's nearly dead anyway now they've confirmed there's not going to be any possibility of adding mods to the bland "meh-fest" that is DR...

IMHO again, obviously.

Pretty much anything done in Arma2 trumps the best DR can offer. Yes the island is completely empty. If you roam around like mentioned there is nothing out there. Sure you can build a battle out there, but why bother? So you can fight on a hill that looks just like the other hill. Building it in the southern point is the same as the northern and middle. No cities, no villages other than a 2-3 building little sheds. I've roamed around timing how long it actually took to run across the island and there are half finished models, and funny "things" like rows of wooden towers that have no purpose, I can't even tell what they are? You can't climb them, they have no platform, no power lines. Also, if this island is so full of oil, there isn't even a single oil rig or platform.

As far as CM needing money cause they are in trouble: Well here's a tip as a consultant: "Make a game people want to play, and not lie constantly of things that aren't in it." They've been loosing money for years, but hold steady to their business model of over hyping games. I've pointed out that Molyneux taught Lenton how to over-hype, but look at Molyneux's background for business? Fail after fail of companies while he personally made a fortune. The gaming community has known for years that they release mediocre titles at best, but they still hold on believing that the games are awesome. Not mediocre, but awesome and ground breaking.

With DR they had an opportunity to clear up that distinction, but they didn't. Not only did they fail at it, but further confirmed that they are incapable of releasing quality.

They fully expected DR to be the savior and set up Dirt 2 for a massive success. I would bet that a very very small amount of people that purchased DR bought Dirt-2. As the executive producer of Dirt-2, I would be furious. Hampering the success of Dirt-2 because another executive producer saw himself as an all knowing, self promoting, spokesperson that obviously over-hyped a game since concept, then didn't even estimate the backlash. No sense what so ever.

@Lughnut:

It's pretty clear, I think, that the ambition for what DR could be, far outweighed what Codies were actually capable of delivering with the one-size-fits-all, "award winning" Ego engine.

We can kick it around forever, but at the end of the day, it's a console port, it relies on satisfying the lowest common denominator console platform, whichever one that is, and the half-realised ambitions only make the fail greater for those who were waiting for its release with such excitement.

It is also clear that the fact that it's a plain and simple console port doesn't bother Codies one little bit. I still remember that video of two of the developers getting interviewed by some nerd gamer, where the final question was "Your preference - PC or console?" They both replied "console", at which point I thought "uh oh"...

Yeah that was a really clear Answer.....

So what do you think, does DR earn the Price for the biggest Game Fail 2009?

When's the last time an actual Developer showed his face on that other forum :rolleyes:

Unlike true game artists that have an invested stake in the quality of their product, CM reminds me of the producer of a successful movie franchise that want to keep the $$$ Train rolling...and as long as it is bought, don't give a monkey's banana of the aftermath or in this case 'fallout'.

So what do you think, does DR earn the Price for the biggest Game Fail 2009?

Well, I'll say this, it's the Worst. Fail. Ever. for a game with Flashpoint in the title...

I'll stick with ArmA, to be honest, no reason for me to go anywhere else for my daily fix of death, mayhem, and all round gaming loveliness.

Oh, and Fallout3 and Dragon Age: Origins. But that's way off topic here.

@Lughnut:

It's pretty clear, I think, that the ambition for what DR could be, far outweighed what Codies were actually capable of delivering with the one-size-fits-all, "award winning" Ego engine.

We can kick it around forever, but at the end of the day, it's a console port, it relies on satisfying the lowest common denominator console platform, whichever one that is, and the half-realised ambitions only make the fail greater for those who were waiting for its release with such excitement.

It is also clear that the fact that it's a plain and simple console port doesn't bother Codies one little bit. I still remember that video of two of the developers getting interviewed by some nerd gamer, where the final question was "Your preference - PC or console?" They both replied "console", at which point I thought "uh oh"...

IMHO, that's the key. Along with lack of dedication, of course.

OFFTOPIC

@Tonci87

Is that King Tomislav in your profile picture?

I'm almost thinking it was just Codemasters trying to show us what the EGO Engine could "also" do, though not as well as it can do driving games. It seems to have been merely a test to see what the EGO Engine could do, and evolved into a larger project. They must have been trying to make it look robust and flexible. Well, they made one of the least robust and flexible games of 2009 to showcase it, released it half finished, and pissed off customers. Nice way to showoff your "awesome" and "award winning" engine, don't you think?

Is it just me, or has the RealVirtuality engine itself not won any awards yet? My God, is that an award heavily overdue...

Well DR still got a hardcore fan base of 10 people to spam their forum so it looks just a tiny bit alive :p

When's the last time an actual Developer showed his face on that other forum :rolleyes:

Unlike true game artists that have an invested stake in the quality of their product, CM reminds me of the producer of a successful movie franchise that want to keep the $$$ Train rolling...and as long as it is bought, don't give a monkey's banana of the aftermath or in this case 'fallout'.

Never saw 1 single post of a dev on the CM forums concerning DR. and I was reading for the last 9 month or so.

I'm almost thinking it was just Codemasters trying to show us what the EGO Engine could "also" do, though not as well as it can do driving games.

I hear what you're saying, but I reckon it's just that they had the "award winning" Ego engine lying around, there was no way they were going to develop a new engine from scratch, so they thought "Eh, whatever, our award-winning Ego engine is just going to have to do".

Presumably, those members of the team who pointed out that shoe-horning a full-on mil sim into a console driving game engine would likely produce the worst fit since the Ugly Sisters tried on Cinderella's glass slipper, are now working for other developers, or have the left the field entirely, hands thrown up in defeat...

Well maybe DR was just a Promotion Tour for their super Ego Engine. Well I think they failed even at that

@Kernriver: Da

Luhgnut;1548771']Pretty much anything done in Arma2 trumps the best DR can offer.

You can leave out the "Pretty much" bit. Just open up Oxygen2, create a box, copy into a few lods (not necessary to beat DR, but lets put in a few more seconds of effort because we actually care about quality). Save the file, use a standard object config and change the classname(s). Compress into pbo. Then you will already have achieved more, and totally on your own at that, than any "modder" (missionmakers are not addonmakers) ever will for DR without reverse engineering (=illegal).

Watched a vid of the CEO of CM spewing forth how Codemasters has "totally dedicated itself to the (once again) Award Winning Ego Technology."

Well Mr. CEO, if that's the position, then you're company is toast. They built their entire company around an ENGINE instead of building an engine to reflect the vision of the company. Can you imagine building a company around a single, confined, non-modifiable engine? I've never heard of such a thing. You build an engine to reflect the demands of the game, not the other way around. Software business 101 and they fail.

Nobody goes "oh look! another game built around the award winning EGO technology!" Nobody.

Well Luhgnut, they need something to say, "hey look we are great" every company needs that, and well their games are s**t so theres only the Engine left

@Lughnut:

This is where DR failed from the get go, how can a PC game like the original Operation Flashpoint work the same magic in the world of consoles. Let's not even mention ARMA & ARMA II :confused: Very rare do I find a game made for all platforms that I think has succeeded on the PC. I enjoyed Dead Space & Gears of War for the PC but I would've enjoyed them just the same if I had them for my PS3. I fear for the future of these types of games for the PC because even BIS has stated in one of their interviews that the console market is an area they have to look at for survival. Sad fact, but true from a business point of view. DR is another example of a poor quality title that is souless and are based on hype, eye candy (not that there was any in DR) and marketing. Thankfully ARMA II to is heavily moddable for long term use :bounce3:

Well it’s all over for the mods

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/operation-flashpoint-dragon-rising-mission-editing-modding-chat-zone-123/382156-falklands-conflict-1982-pc-mod-4.html

I think they need to take the word modding out of the sub forum. Post 32 I think his/her sentence should have ended with! and love it with out SDK kit

http://falklandsconflict198.darkbb.com/general-discussion-f2/

I like the rolling notice on this site, wonder what game they will mod for.

The dispersion shield basically prevents the bullets from hitting you. The longer you fight the AI, the smaller the shield gets. Once the shield hits it's lowest point then the bullets can hit you a lot easier. At least that's my take on it.

The chopper thing is a collision detection alpha problem I believe.

Bulldogs thanks for the explanation not sure why they need it though.

2/4

http://falklandsconflict198.darkbb.com/general-discussion-f2/

I like the rolling notice on this site, wonder what game they will mod for.

2/4

Talk about reading between the lines, this would be a cool mod for ARMA II. Hopefully this gang of members aren't DR diehards and will be open minded when "reviewing options for game platform that might base their mod on"..., what options, it's right here..LOL

This could really be an interesting Arma Mod, i hope the Guys consider that Arma is the best Game to Mod they can buy

I recall the mod being in the making for Flashpoint, did it ever get a release though?

I recall the mod being in the making for Flashpoint, did it ever get a release though?

Search functions, pure magic ;)

I'm pretty sure this isn't the same mod that was around for OFP. They released that by the way, it was a BETA and came out just before (or after, I forget) ArmA 1 came out when all the other mods were throwing their stuff out in the hopes of getting people play it before moving on to ArmA.

This is where DR failed from the get go, how can a PC game like the original Operation Flashpoint work the same magic in the world of consoles.

Funny you should say that.

http://www.games.lt/w/gbox/4932.jpg

While it was released by both BIS and CM it sucks that CM got the big eyeful on the cover and BIS got nada cept in the game, with this previous release it makes it easy to understand how many could get the original creator confused.

Anyway from what I recall it had some sucess but I wouldn't call it a hit. It was released too late but the biggest problem was naturally the 'graphics',

However because it used less it could live up to the original in terms of size and provided the original experience, also this one came with an editor out of the box, now vehicles or units were however missing.

Edited by NodUnit

They mentioned that they're working on another Operation Flashpoint too. Seems they're not content with just destroying the name.

here's the hidden message:

The are so crazy upset about DR that they are almost spewing nails, continue to explain why a console is better than a PC, so upset that it's not the game they dream of, ready to sue CM, but they won't purchase a semi decent gaming rig.

They are willing to go out and buy and xbox, and hunt down the old title for it, thinking of modding their 360 to play a 7 year old title but my gosh, buy a PC and play arma2? No way!

Just proves console brains, don't have any.

Let's just keep feeding more into the console to make it into a PC, then tell everybody how a PC sucks. ROFLMAO.