Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Dragon Rising has been released

yeah I paid for it. and I picked up in the first week of release, plus i got it for the SP experience, which is good.

If I was thinking about buying it today on the other hand, I probably wouldnt

go buy it mate, from what i understand its way different than A1 so its not the game ex A1 players played. i just wish i could install the full game, my better half wont let me till sunday lol

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

I've never had problems finding a server in BF2 with a decent ping. Last time i played BF2 was a few months back.

BF2 beats Dragon Rising to blood :cool:

haha i had a terrible time with pings in BF2 and i mean seriously, even worse after 1.5.

Hi Templargfx!

The whole bug discussion about ARMA2 stems from the initial release of the game, which was bugged. Since then, BIS has spent a lot of effort into enhancing the experience, IMHO with resounding success.

I'm playing the latest beta right now and I have to say the game now does in no way compare to the initial release, its just so much better.

If I were you, I would buy it as soon as patch 1.05 is out (should be any day now), I think you will not regret it ;)

Cheers

Crusader

go buy it mate, from what i understand its way different than A1 so its not the game ex A1 players played. i just wish i could install the full game, my better half wont let me till sunday lol

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

haha i had a terrible time with pings in BF2 and i mean seriously, even worse after 1.5.

Well i haven't played after 1.5 but before i was often waiting for room on popular 64 player servers, those monitored that be :p

Finding full 50-70 ping servers was never a problem for me :)

that sounds interesting indeed. what are these modules? pre-packaged scripts and sequences and scripted AI events to fill your levels with detail that would otherwise take an age to do manually?

As people said, yes, it's some kind of pre-packaged scripts, now called modules.

You simply put a unit on editor, then choose the module (pressing f7), sync it (press f¿5?) and that's all, just press preview and you have created a war with civs and secops :)

Hmm.. Thinking about this from an new light, C.M.'s problem is not the game itself. It is that their PR department is kick-ass! It's just an imbalance, that's all. ;)

Welcome Templargfx. I agree, if you pick up Arma 2 you will find support like no (or at least few) others. There was a comment somewhere about the bug list on Arma 2 being >500 issues long. I believe Bascule responded quite well. But from being so polite about it, I feel he ommitted one important point that you would find out pretty quickly in comparison.

In addition to his posted reasons, add this: Because there is THAT much content to have errors in. If everything in OFP:DR was needing tweaking, I wonder if you'd be ABLE to have a list 500 items long.

There really is that much depth and capacity in Arma 2 that is simply not available in DR.

There was a comment somewhere about the bug list on Arma 2 being >500 issues long. I believe Bascule responded quite well. But from being so polite about it, I feel he ommitted one important point that you would find out pretty quickly in comparison.

In addition to his posted reasons, add this: Because there is THAT much content to have errors in. If everything in OFP:DR was needing tweaking, I wonder if you'd be ABLE to have a list 500 items long.

Not to forget that many items on the bug list are individual crash reports, bugs that have been fixed but are waiting for confirmation, minor issues like translation errors, car horns not heard by everyone in MP etc. :)

Welcome, Templargfx,

I play ArmA2, since when German version is released, it's amazing what you can do with this game, you will not regret. My only regret is that I have not logged in this forum earlier. I lost my time on another forum. I don't regret that I bought Arma2 (German edition, the most buggy edition), I have now, about 5Gb of addons and missions, you will never see this in DR. Think about it.

Hmm.. Thinking about this from an new light, C.M.'s problem is not the game itself. It is that their PR department is kick-ass! It's just an imbalance, that's all. ;)

Welcome Templargfx. I agree, if you pick up Arma 2 you will find support like no (or at least few) others. There was a comment somewhere about the bug list on Arma 2 being >500 issues long. I believe Bascule responded quite well. But from being so polite about it, I feel he ommitted one important point that you would find out pretty quickly in comparison.

There really is that much depth and capacity in Arma 2 that is simply not available in DR.

I responded to that post of arma2 having >500 bugs. I looked them up as well and many are feature requests. Many are "bugs" found by people modding the game and coming across weirdness. The point being, BIS is actually working and releasing beta patches nearly weekly. And like you point out, many of those bugs are really just annoyances.

The DR/EGO engine is a bug. It's so severely limited that there really isn't much under the covers as a game. The AI entity problem. They can't handle more AI entities than that? Just look at L4D/L4D2 there's dozens of zombies running all over. Yeah it's a hallway shooter, but still, the island in DR is a virtual hallway. or look how about the old Serious Sam? There was stuff all over the place. I just think 63 entities for a 2009/2010 year game is really cheeze-ball.

OFFTOPIC

Glad you mentioned good old Serious Sam, Luhgnut.

Croteam is making a remake, Serious Sam HD: The first encounter, in their new engine (Serious Engine 3). You can even preorder it on Steam, so I guess it's almost finished. :)

ONTOPIC

I'm not waiting anymore for DR demo, if it ever comes out. I'll spend my money somewhere else (Serious Sam HD comes to mind :D)

OFFTOPIC

Glad you mentioned good old Serious Sam, Luhgnut.

Croteam is making a remake, Serious Sam HD: The first encounter, in their new engine (Serious Engine 3). You can even preorder it on Steam, so I guess it's almost finished. :)

ONTOPIC

I'm not waiting anymore for DR demo, if it ever comes out. I'll spend my money somewhere else (Serious Sam HD comes to mind :D)

Yeah I've got mine Pre-ordered. My point was Serious Sam is what, 5+ years old now? Sometimes there had to be a couple hundred enemies running around and shooting at ya. Sure there wasn't any real AI but the AI in DR is as dumb as a box of rocks and can't hit you anyway. But I guess that "Award Winning" EGO Engine is so good, they don't even have to add any enemies. We just need to be so awe stricken with it's magnificent power and ability. Personally, for me, every game done on that engine looks kinda weird. All the colors are washed out. But it's Award Winning, so what do I know?

About a month or two too late - Never understood developers that launch game demos long after the initial release. BIS released a demo post-release, but atleast it was alot closer to release than this.

you know what I found funny about that 500+ long bug list thing :

number of officially recognised bugs in ARMA2 : 500+

number of officially recognised bugs in OFP DR : 0

BIS communicate and listen to the community

CM do not, if they did, there would be a bug list for almost every aspect of the game. and it would probably far exceed the ARMA2 bug list :)

plus I'd rather the developer officially list every friggin tiny bug they can in a list, this way you know they are aware of even the little things

It's like an ostrich sticking its head in the sand.

I hope you end up joining the real OFP community (real because it was born here) and end up with us in ARMAII.

Abs

It's like an ostrich sticking its head in the sand.

I hope you end up joining the real OFP community (real because it was born here) and end up with us in ARMAII.

Abs

I hope it doesn't end up in ARMA II. ;)

I want this game to fail at this point. I truly do. The worse it fails, the better in my opinion.

Why would i hold what many might consider an inciteful view? Isnt competition a good thing?

I now hold the view i do (post release, when it became clear just how badly theyd behaved) because unlike ignorant consumers who 'only' want the right game, and are willing to sacrifice all other principles as long as they get 'what they want', i recognise that good things are built on good principles, and the right game can only come from the right groups of people.

Codemasters are the WRONG people. To have this product succeed despite all the immoral actions theyve taken, including hijacking the license (we won awards for the previous game, this is our official sequel), misleading and downright false advertising and the innumerable lies and willfull exploitation of consumers theyve undertaken - well that would betray the very principles that lead to success in human endeavours.

I say Codemasters ought to suffer the full consequences of their actions. That means Commercial FAILURE. Too bad banks havent suffered the same fate

Yes welcome Templargfx!

Create a better home here with us mate. Modability and our super-duper editor should please you tons. :) Hope we see you around for a long time.

Operation Arrowhead is coming next year as well with new engine feats moved over from VBS2 (military version of ARMA). We have a nice and bright future ahead of us.

So again, welcome bud.

Alex

Just tried the demo. Holy crap it's bad. That's all I'll say on the matter, the rest has been said here many a time before.

Just tried the demo. Holy crap it's bad. That's all I'll say on the matter, the rest has been said here many a time before.

Better than the ArmA demo.:nener:

Better than the ArmA demo.:nener:

Not by a mile, Mr Console player who is unlikely to have even played it (do you have a PC powerful enough to run it?).

Arma should never again be compared to OFP: DR. Dragon Rising, as a 'simulator', competes with games like Crysis - and loses. I am completely serious

Not by a mile, Mr Console player who is unlikely to have even played it (do you have a PC powerful enough to run it?).

I think you summed up why I play on consoles. I gave up PC games when they started requiring more than a good graphics card to play. Shelling out over $2,000 just to play a game you can't trade-in, you must be crazy.

However, I have seen the videos on youtube, graphics wise OFP:dr on my 360 beats ArmA on your over priced PC. :nener:

Personally I think the graphics on Pokemon for Gameboy are much more advanced than both games, and Pokemon is also the ultimate mil-sim.... think about it.