Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Dragon Rising has been released

If you look at that poll, I am not the only one to have been able to play on a full server. and considering the fact that you open admit you never even played the game, or opened the box. how can you judge it?

Coming on to another forum to continue to insult me is not very mature.

CM didnt ask or hint at me to hold the fort. I am just having fun poking the fundemental flaw in peoples argument regarding dedicated servers for that game. and the fact that they all get so angry just makes it even more entertaining for me.

I have called CM dispicable, down right dirty, and many other things in the past for many of there actions. people just seem to focus on my apparent fan-boyism because it goes against there opinion.

oh and hi :P

Hahaha, welcome to the dark side!

I expect to see some excellent mods coming from you ;)

unfortunately Im still not convinced enough to buy this game (arma 2)

I bought ARMA1 and it was buggy as hell.

when Arma 2 came out, I downloaded the demo and it was just as bad as ARMA1, but prettier. people have since told me the game has greatly improved with all the patches, but the demo hasnt been updated to reflect the changes. and I'm not willing to shell out AU$80 on it.

Hi, Templar. I'm really pleased with your mod for DR: it made the game genuinely playable. I've also play tested your 'free roam' map, and think it was a step forward for DR. However, I find it a bit ironic that what you're trying to mod into DR really represent many of the features that ARMA 2 has out of the box. I really urge you to go here: http://kronzky.info/ and check out how much more functional and versatile the Arma/VBS engine's scripting is than the way DR uses LUA.

I can understand how someone could really hate what sometimes seems like the Arma engine's intrinsically 'stuttery' nature. Even if you aren't won over by the system, though, I think you might still grow to like the editor a great deal - and could learn a lot that you could take to the 'Dark Side' with you.

Money-wise, purchasing Arma 2 has been the single most economic investment I've made on the PC. I'm guessing it must have cost me less than 10 pence per hour of enjoyment. It's a 'tinkerer's' pleasure, I think. The best metaphor I can think of is that, with all the beta-builds released and massive modability, it feels like purchasing the internal mechanism of a clock, rather than the more common digital watch.

Edited by Richey79

Welcome to the forums templargfx...

You can't really compare the recent build of A2 with the demo. I admit game prices do seem steep in Oz, but this is one of those games that is well worth the tag.

when Arma 2 came out, I downloaded the demo and it was just as bad as ARMA1, but prettier. people have since told me the game has greatly improved with all the patches, but the demo hasnt been updated to reflect the changes. and I'm not willing to shell out AU$80 on it.

Hi, nice to see you here :) I been reading on the CM forums (good entertainment when I cant sleep ;)), and imho you have made good posts and I support you in the approach to try to make it better instead of whining. Then I wouldnt put that much time into that platform as it seems so limited and bad in lack of a more subtle word.

I also understand why you are cautious for arma2. You need to have a rig that is functioning good. Im not talking about hi-end, but you can have a decent rig but one bottle neck or bad driver can f**k-it up. Arma2 uses all parts and I guess alot of players fall on the Hd.

I would suggest you to read this thread; http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=84347

You can skip quite a few pages to get to the end. But there you will see what have changed to the better and the support we get from BIS. And the latest versions of betas has been so much better then the latest 1.04. Demo is good for getting a hint of the concept and maybe scare away tunnel-FPS people?

Then I suggest you go and buy it, Im sure you can find it used for a lower price somewhere (its worth the full price anyway). Then make sure to clean up your system and take some time to try different tweaks and performance addons (kju has made quite a few).

After reading about that mission you are building (the "free-roam") I thought that that guy could have it so much easier in arma2. A mission like that is buildt in no time, then you can put so much more into it by using all the scripts, tools and addons.

If you play it, I suggest you find some nice MP server to play it on. Join up some free games on any clan server. I for myself has spend some time on JTF-2 server lately and its a nice combo of easy gameplay and serious. No strings attached.

Hope you one day will see the light on the "dark side" ;)

Buy it from steam, with the Aussie dollar being so high it'll set you back $30 thats a cheap outlay for a game thats gonna last at least 3/4 years

Hope you one day will see the light on the "dark side" ;)

No, we are on the "light side"... though not actually in the lime light.. or spot light :D

really the only reason I am still "pro DR" is because CM are talking directly to me with regards to opening up modding.

if this wasnt happening, I would have dropped the game after the first patch came out.

whats the SP like in Arma2? I'm not much of a MP person, when I used to play ARMA online, the servers were just full of RAMBO idiots that ran for the helicopters the second the game started, or take the HUMMERS with just one person aboard, leaving the rest of the team to hoof it on foot.

Coming on to another forum to continue to insult me is not very mature.

how els are we going to get you over here?

There are always threads open in which people are complaining about the direction MP has gone in, and the dominance of certain game modes on 'public' servers. Check out the advice people have given on those threads for a good MP experience.

SP AI quality? A tough one to answer.

In the SP campaign, I find friendly AI a bit of a game-killer. The only reason for this is that, when a single guy dies, you fail the mission. But the campaign isn't really where it's at, anyway. In the editor, friendly AI is fine. To qualify this, once you understand how they behave when given certain commands (it'll take a couple of weeks to learn this), then you're rarely frustrated by them - for example - taking a suicidal run at an MG nest. There are plenty of intricate commands, and it's often best to 'baby' the friendly AI quite a lot.

The enemy AI, on the other hand, I find very good indeed. BIS have tweaked the enemy AI several times, mostly for the good (although perhaps they don't hear sensitively enough now - but you can mod that). I find that they react well to the environment and present themselves as fairly tough opponents. Firefights tend to be longer and more fulfilling now than they were in the earlier patches. In some ways the AI still hasn't reached the level of Arma 1's, but it's mostly getting there. They're not great at driving or flying, but, again BIS are working on it - and you can script these things pretty well in the editor. Personally, I don't find the AI much less fulfilling to fight against than humans. Be aware that you occassionally find people on this forum who think that the AI has been awful ever since OFP. Perhaps they are right... I simply don't know and can't argue. Check out the VBS2 topic on Armaholic, and most people on that thread agree that Arma 2's 'micro AI' responds in more sophisticated detail than VBS2's AI.

"What's SP like in Arma2?" Answer - the editor. Several really high-quality islands have now been released, and it's whatever you make it. Think of a military scenario, and you can model it. Lots and lots of weapons have been released and a good few units, so far. Many, many more are in the pipeline.

So, the question of 'how good is SP' should really be changed to 'how proficient are you in the editor?'

@templargfx:

Mate, seriously, buy ArmA2, patch it up and join in the fun. The mission editor is great, even an idiot like me can get fun SP missions up and running in an hour or so - someone like you, who clearly knows one end of a scripting engine from the other, could be producing killer missions straight off the bat... and when fromz releases his PLA mods, and those other guys finish modding Skira, you could probably produce a "Dragon Rising killer" campaign in about three days...

Single player is what you want it to be due to the mission editor and user missions. Dont judge SP or MP missions on the vanilla content or public servers.

I dont think I played many SP or MP games using BIS missions since OFP. I do however still play OFP mission as I think they are great, I just port them over.

I do mostly play usermade coop-missions in MP with friends. Yesterday I played Clean Sweep, Hostage rescue and a special version of Air Assault on Everon with some friends (yes, coop in arma2).

So as you seems to be a creative person that likes to do missions you will get whatever mission experience you want.

I warn you however, OFP/arma/arma2 is addictive when you start to make missions, addons and worlds.. Many of us are creating more than we play. Lately I have managed to up my playtime to maybe 30% which is fantastic for me :) Only 70% code and creativity.

edit. Maybe you can remake your missions later on when Kiska/Skira is finnished and released ;)

SbeBvWmIWXs

Edited by andersson

really the only reason I am still "pro DR" is because CM are talking directly to me with regards to opening up modding.

if this wasnt happening, I would have dropped the game after the first patch came out.

whats the SP like in Arma2? I'm not much of a MP person, when I used to play ARMA online, the servers were just full of RAMBO idiots that ran for the helicopters the second the game started, or take the HUMMERS with just one person aboard, leaving the rest of the team to hoof it on foot.

Regarding MP: Try to join a clan and avoid public servers, you will find that the experience y much better.

SP: I'm playin right now the campaign and i didn't wcounter any important bugs, also, i use to open the editor, place a few squads and sync it with civilian module, car module, secops module and ambient combat manager, it's an easy way of having tons of fun, in less than 10 minutes you have a big war in front of your pc, with civilians and secondary missions. Hours of sp fun in less than 10 minutes, and you don't need to have advanced knowledge of editor.

We don't drink that crap, we just send it all to the Americans :)

Basically for single player, the campaign has been fixed up a lot and it's actually very enjoyable right now, but your squad can get annoying if they get themselves killed, fortunately with the latest beta patch they really don't get themselves killed very often, just remember to not put them in "Safe" mode unless you want to move fast and there's no enemy around at all.

Other than that, download some of the single player missions and some of the mods and islands especially Nightstalker's Namalsk Island

xnZQKZ94eos

... and sync it with civilian module, car module, secops module and ambient combat manager

that sounds interesting indeed. what are these modules? pre-packaged scripts and sequences and scripted AI events to fill your levels with detail that would otherwise take an age to do manually?

This gives an idea of some of the potential of synchronizing modules:

http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=763399&page=4

You've got the right idea - they basically work like pre-packaged scripts, only they are more fully integrated into the engine than that. Some of the functions:

Secondary objectives to pop up every now and then at random,

Random ambient civilians,

Civilian vehicles,

Dynamic weather effects,

'High command' mode (allows you to manage BIG numbers of units easily),

Different types of first aid models,

A dynamically modelled battlefield (dynamically spawning enemy units).

Scripting, triggers and 'game logics' present much more potential for someone creative such as yourself:

An example of a really interesting feature someone scripted that you can add into your game:

Game logics: http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1479395&postcount=9

Edited by Richey79

This gives an idea of some of the potential of synchronizing modules:

http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=763399&page=4

You've got the right idea - they basically work like pre-packaged scripts, only they are more fully integrated into the engine than that. Some of the functions:

Secondary objectives to pop up every now and then at random,

Random ambient civilians,

Civilian vehicles,

Dynamic weather effects,

'High command' mode (allows you to manage BIG numbers of units easily),

Different types of first aid models,

A dynamically modelled battlefield (dynamically spawning enemy units).

Scripting, triggers and 'game logics' present much more potential for someone creative such as yourself:

An example of a really interesting feature someone scripted that you can add into your game:

Game logics: http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1479395&postcount=9

um..are you sure that is OFP2?

'cos all of those things are in ARMA2...there are not civilians in DragonRising..

um..are you sure that is OFP2?

'cos all of those things are in ARMA2...there are not civilians in DragonRising..

You might want to read more than just the last two or three posts. They are talking about Arma2, not DR.

Ah, we have got a little off topic (from DR) ...

Somebody who uses the editor in OFP:DR wanted some idea of how modules etc. work in Arma 2.

No, none of these things in Dragon Rising.

Best game i ever played "ARMA 2" and i have played most games that involve combat

I got my copy from here, free delivery and never buying a game in a store again

http://www.cdwow.com.au/games/ARMA-2-PC/dp/pc/9833717#bc=a397

Also not many bugs iv'e encountered since getting ARMA 2 on release date and runs fine on my system, see specs below

U can't possible make a game as open as ARMA with all hardware possibilities and not expect bugs, those BIS will fix unlike CM. And CM having such a bigger budget failed to make a mil sim so open without AI limits etc and Dedi servers

The campaign is ok in DR but it just doesn't feel anything like OFP1

Edited by vasmkd

i know when i played BF2 i had trouble finding servers with decent pings and the last one i played was a UKA server.

I've never had problems finding a server in BF2 with a decent ping. Last time i played BF2 was a few months back.

BF2 beats Dragon Rising to blood :cool:

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

Fair enough but still you throw out money on DR thats where i gets confused :butbut: (i take it you actually paid for it)

yeah I paid for it. and I picked up in the first week of release, plus i got it for the SP experience, which is good.

If I was thinking about buying it today on the other hand, I probably wouldnt

Why are you hesitant about buying ArmA II then because of it's bugs? From what I played of DR, it was far buggier, boring and flawed than ArmA II ever was. By flawed I mean it's game mechanics are so badly done that it's laughable, such as having to reload your M203 every time you switch types, and having to go through them in order to get to normal firing mode instead of simply cycling to it. Those are bad design decisions. Plus, the SP was far more far fetched and boring than ArmA II's.

Again, this is just my opinion. However, I do feel sorry that you bought it. Especially to then have yourself treated by CM as you have. Making the game slightly more playable, and then getting shut out completely by such a terrible developer. That really sucks. They may be trying to talk to you about it, but I doubt you'll ever see results. Given the direction the game is heading, I think they're going to cut their losses soon.