dmarkwick

JTD Fire And Smoke

Question

Some MP communities wont use this system because it creates markers on the client? which can bog the server and create desyncs. Have you run into this and or improved this problem. Thanks for the info.

Congrats on the release. Too bad you didn't incorporate my optimizations.

No, I did, it's just that your helpful changes as I recieved them caused FAS to not function, so I am incorporating them as & when I can do them one at a time, making sure I understand what it is I'm doing :)

I don't know how many changes you made, but as & when I find them I use them & make them work one at a time :) in particular I have a problem making the tree search function work from just one declaration, that's why each fire instance has it's own tree search function. I'm sure it's muppetry on my part, but as I once said I'm not a natural coder, everything for me is a struggle :D

---------- Post added at 02:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 PM ----------

So is everything compatible with WarFX no matter the load order? I noticed a motorcycle create a massive fuel fire in the desert, dunno if that's a bug or some sort of feature. Pretty sure it's a bug.

Yes, this addon is compatible with everything no matter the load order. It's only dependant on CBA, and all it's assets and effects are internal and represent new effects, not changes to existing effects.

The motorcycle thing is indeed a small bug - getting fuel fire to scale properly needs lots of tweaking as smaller slower particles look totally different and the effect needs to look the same no matter the scale. Just a matter of me finding a magic scaling equation for this new effect :)

Ah :) Glad to hear. If you need some help with anything specific i'd be glad to lend a hand.

Thanks for the update, hope to try today. :)

I use a server that doesn't use ace, and it still happens :(

It's not an ACE bug. It's more to do with destroyed enemy vehicles being removed out of sight.

great addons.what's the name of the island you have used in the 2nd part of the video?

Chernarus

great addons.what's the name of the island you have used in the 2nd part of the video?

Chernarus ;)

Glad to see you're still working on this, have been playing with this mod since ArmA1 and it's definetely a must have.

I have one small question : In comparaison of the ArmA1 version is the smoke smaller/less dense ?

I remember creating litteraly huge walls of smoke back then and I've been unable to create that on ArmA 2

Keep it up !

We had major performance issues last night using the latest version of JTD. Before we were able to handle it just fine but some forest fire brought my server to it's knees.

We're running with Blastcore, don't know if that could be the issue.

zuff, what map and mission where you using?

We are about to start a small BE Warfare on Yapal with Blastcore too just to test. Lets see what happens to my server...

The fuel fire effect is really great, but the smoke should be much more persistent. The fuel smoke dissipates faster than the normal fire smoke.

zuff, what map and mission where you using?

We are about to start a small BE Warfare on Yapal with Blastcore too just to test. Lets see what happens to my server...

Running my TFOR conversion, LFOR on Lingor.

Glad to see you're still working on this, have been playing with this mod since ArmA1 and it's definetely a must have.

I have one small question : In comparaison of the ArmA1 version is the smoke smaller/less dense ?

I remember creating litteraly huge walls of smoke back then and I've been unable to create that on ArmA 2

Keep it up !

Yeah the huge walls of smoke in A1 were great :) but the script cut-off timing mechanism for A2 means that when things start to get chuggy, instead of slowing your framerate down the game engine now delays some scripts and queues them. This means that visual scripts like mine show up as being delayed more than say AI scripts, and that particular particle, the animated smoke particle, doesn't look good when it's thin. It needs the volume to show the correct effect.

The fuel fire effect is really great, but the smoke should be much more persistent. The fuel smoke dissipates faster than the normal fire smoke.

Well with various effects mods around, I have to be aware that this addon takes up a lot of the game's particle quota. Not all of it and not even most of it, probably not even a quarter for an averagely busy game, but enough to make a difference when another particle-heavy addon suddenly needs to generate some explosions :)

I might add a config for the fuel smoke though, for people who choose to have FAS as their main effects addon?

Thanks for the answer :)

You really did an outstanding job.

I love to play on the Nevada Desert Terrain map, where I can push my settings higher.

Seeing the long column of smoke 10 Km away is really amazing, big addition to the immersion. From now on I will probably never play without it.

Does this newest version of the userconfig have support for OA trees and stuff?

Finally got to test it for awhile last night and really enjoyed it. It still stands as a 'top 3' mod that I won't play without, great job. Thanks!

Yup, I've downloaded it, too. Looks great, but FPS really drop (even in desert) when you have a serious combat situation. Any ideas how to optimise it a bit futher via config for MP purposes?

I'm wondering what the ratio is between people who configure the userconfig and people who leave it the same as it is downloaded.

I'm wondering what the ratio is between people who configure the userconfig and people who leave it the same as it is downloaded.

Haven't touched it... to be honest didn't ever think about it or know I could.

But of course now I'm curious so who know whats about to happen.

Haven't touched it... to be honest didn't ever think about it or know I could.

But of course now I'm curious so who know whats about to happen.

Looks damn f*** awesome , but it is damn heavy.

In the original version, I cut the smoke and fire lifetime down to a tenth of default otherwise it crucified my system.

Will test it on our dedicated - we have squadnight tonight. I cut down the probability a bit, along with persistance timers in userconfig. Will report back.

p.s. in single player testing I didn't notice any damage from the vehicle fire?