Sign in to follow this  
otrebla_snake_ita

Why doesn't AI use "Step Over" and why sometimes NPCs can run through obstacles?

I noticed AI never "step over" "small" obstacles: we can do it by pressing "V" key. Why AI can't?

I noticed too AI sometimes run through "obstacles" (for example wall, houses and so on)...why? ò_ò

Will BIS solve this?

AI can't step over small obstacles because that requires a higher version of their "brain". :)

Walking through obstacles happens usually when you have some sort of lag, in this situation I think collision detection is reduced or disabled. It can also happen if the AI can't find a path out of a certain area.

For example I have that quite often when they are inside a yard and in front of the only exit a car is parked. Since they can't climb over the fence they just walk through it.

;1428348']I noticed too AI sometimes run through "obstacles" (for example wall' date=' houses and so on)...why? ò_ò[/quote']

Sometimes?! :crazy_o:

They're doing it all the time! Been witnessing that in Chernogorsk so damn often ... it's totally fucked up. Sometimes they even materialize through non enterable buildings. But their favourite by far are concrete walls, with those they at least only walk through the parts that have small openings on the ground, still sucks.

The 'why' is probably due to performance reasons, but then again ... all the LOD´ing (animations, models, rvmats, etc.) doesn´t help at all when your memory gets stressed more with reloading all that crap over & over again instead of keeping a LOD for some time.

Agree with Mr Burns. It's not lag, they do run through fences BUT only when not engaged.

When the fight starts they go around objects properly.

Agree with Mr Burns. It's not lag, they do run through fences BUT only when not engaged.

When the fight starts they go around objects properly.

Yeah, i always thought that it was a cheap workaround so the AI doesnt have to walk around obstacles the player can just step over, which would be annoying if you are the squadleader.

Happens once in awhile to me aswell, never when we are fighting though.

not a big deal to me to be honest.

I noticed while making one particular mission, that the segment of fence/wall that has the hole on the bottom, the one we all crawl under, is basically like an open door to the AI. I'd rather the Ai just be aware of the gap and snipe under it rather than walking straight thru it like an AI magic portal. Pretty big immersion killer to think your back is safe in an enclosed yard when an enemy AI comes strutting thru and shoots you in the back :eek:

I do see the AIs open the gates when they're passing through a yard with a picket fence. If they're capable of that, I don't know why they can't step over obstacles.

The AI has no collision detection with map objects. They can get stuck behind a chopper, but if their path leads them through a building, they can walk right through. Its designed to stop them from getting stuck in trees and buildings I guess. I once edited the Arma 1 ai to ignore buildings all together, man were they tough to fight against lol!

Last week we found an AI hiding *in a rock* on a hill NE of Krasnostav's airport where radio tower is :) nuke them from an orbit, thats the only way to be sure =)

I noticed while making one particular mission, that the segment of fence/wall that has the hole on the bottom, the one we all crawl under, is basically like an open door to the AI. I'd rather the Ai just be aware of the gap and snipe under it rather than walking straight thru it like an AI magic portal. Pretty big immersion killer to think your back is safe in an enclosed yard when an enemy AI comes strutting thru and shoots you in the back :eek:

What would stop him from crawling through it? That is what them walking through it is supposed to represent. It is a little cheap but otherwise there would probably be chaos. I don't know if I have ever seen an AI walk through something that I couldn't go through, over, or under.

Did anyone test if you land on rooftop (accessible with ladders) and fire couple of shots, do the AIs come after you one by one via ladder as in ArmA1? :)

No, they blast the building off with rockets, and pepper you with gunshots. BTW, are the buildings somehow transparent to the AI? I was on a roof of a building about 4 stories high, with an enemy patrol down on the ground. The roof had a slight "wall" for cover, about 50cm high all around it. I took a couple of shots from the roof and then hit the deck, enemy started firing the wall I was hiding behind so I decided to crawl to a new position. Here's where it gets strange: The AI could see me all the time I crawled behind the wall or even when I was crawling in the other end of the roof, completely to the other siede of the building. They were shooting me for about 10 minutes always hitting the wall of the building exactly where I was laying, altho they never should've seen me. In the end they just blew off half the building with rpgs :p... I wonder if it's some kinda bug?

I wonder if it's some kinda bug?

Its their ears, they hear you and since they already know that you are an enemy they will just follow the source of your sound until they have killed you or something else distracts them. :p

Well this bug has been around since OFP 1.00 so I wouldn't hold my breath.

It seems to have been "assigned" on dev-heaven so I guess someone is working on it... or maybe they'll just fix the ladder climbing but AI will still pass through fences/obstacles in other areas....

Yapa

Luhgnut;1428401']I thought this was being tracked in the dev-heaven stuff. I remember reading it.

Yes, I reported this error to dev-heaven and there's a video attached to the issue report.

It's nothing to do with lag, I wasn't playing multiplayer at the time. It's either a deliberate feature to aid pathfinding, or it's a bug. I suspect the latter.

The same issue manifests itself in OFP as well. I remember building a massive zombie mission in one of the forts overlooking a town, the zombies just ran through the fort walls completely ruining the mission. As the zombies were mostly civilian models with slightly changed config.cpp files, you can imagine how pissed off I was.

What would stop him from crawling through it? That is what them walking through it is supposed to represent. It is a little cheap but otherwise there would probably be chaos. I don't know if I have ever seen an AI walk through something that I couldn't go through, over, or under.

Yes but theres a big difference between readying yourself for a crawling opponent who would have a very limited area of both vision and mobility and a fully free running AI that you can't see or hear coming -and whos to say they can't see you thru that portal?

Perhaps they should at least slow the apparition-like intruder down when they take these shortcuts to at least represent the time it should have taken.

They indeed do it all the time, not sparsely at all. Big immersion killer. I've never played arma1 but after all the realism hype around arma2, i don't expect these sort of bugs to be left in the game.

Walking through walls is a close second to finish-animation-before-dying seen across all battlefields in arma2.

Edited by zeep

This is almost enough to put me off the game.

Are some really saying they aren't bothered with the fact that AI can just walk through fences?

Attacking a base that's surrounded by walls and difficult to get to apart from a select route in, isn't Arma2's bag. It's a great thing to build a realistic looking base and have enemy AI try to storm it from all areas.Tto see them just run through the wall/fence/house is very disheartening.

:(