FP : DR - News & Discussion

Will you be buy Dragon Rising?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

"It's allready be said - no Civs" -OFP2 forum moderator.

Link?

If true, that does suck.  Even OFP: CWC had civies.  That's a strike against Dragon Rising in my book.

I'm disembarking the witchhunt train now and'll return to other things...  pistols.gif

IGI posted a preview including these lines:

Quote[/b] ]

IGN.com: For fans that absolutely loved the hardcore nature of the first game, then yes, I'm told there's a difficulty mode where one bullet can indeed ruin your life.

Regarding realism and OFPs true nature they speak for themself

Have you ever played CoD1/2 on the hardest difficulty mode? You could die in 1/2 bullets as well but that didnt make it realistic, just annoying. crazy_o.gif

Well that sucks  huh.gif

Yeah. OPF CWC had 3 ugly men, a tractor, a skoda and that PVS truck.

It will be real crap if that large 220 square KM island is 100% unpopulated, like the population and all the fauna fled to the sea biggrin_o.gif .

You forgot the trabant biggrin_o.gif (And the funny plane with which I needed about 100 trys until I landed during the very last mission on Everon rofl.gif )

Well that sucks  huh.gif

Yeah. OPF CWC had 3 ugly men, a tractor, a skoda and that PVS truck.

It will be real crap if that large 220 square KM island is 100% unpopulated, like the population and all the fauna fled to the sea biggrin_o.gif .

You forgot the trabant biggrin_o.gif (And the funny plane with which I needed about 100 trys until I landed during the very last mission on Everon rofl.gif )

The Cessna? I didn't bother landing it, I just ejected over the airport rofl.gif

OK OK, the trabant was added later with all that stuff BIS gave away for free (trabant, bradley IFV, hmmwv, vulcan, apache, chinook, kiowa, bmp2, brdm, su-25 plus weapons and missions).

I did forget the cessna and the sports car confused_o.gif .

Demand for population was high so with Resistance we got new civilians (male and female), the police, bus and motorcycle.

And the much demanded bridges to go across, happy days biggrin_o.gif .

I too cannot understand why they took civ side out of the game

And I clearly won't accept if they tell me "they bugged out" tounge2.gif

Well i've been wandering around and the general responce to what CM presented last friday appears to be negative since people are comparing the few ingame material that can be seen in the trailer to BF:BC, COD4 and FC2. Animation, movement, sound, HUD and even onscreen gunfire indicators.

I agree that it is quite disturbing to see a large HUD compass and a weapon picture showing you that the weapon you are carrying is an M16A4 in a oversized, arcadish looking HUD.

If this footage is an indicator of what they plan to release this summer im led to believe that CM are going to fail on their early promisses and go the mainstream/arcade route..

Remember back in the day when they said that the weapon handling would not be a floating zone type, but it would be something entirely new and better? icon_rolleyes.gif

I guess BF2 was new at some point.

Quote[/b] ]Going into the demo of Operational Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising, I had doubts. I was a big fan of the 2001 original game that was developed by Bohemia Interactive, but now Bohemia is off doing the ArmA series while Codemasters is developing Flashpoint 2 internally. However, after Codemasters' event in San Francisco this week, I'm excited again. This new Flashpoint looks incredibly promising for those who are looking for a more authentic take at military operations.

Source: IGN preview

Quote[/b] ] Before I begin, I must confess that I was very sceptical about the whole set up, you know, 'Codemasters' making the sequel to the game we all love...but the original OFP was developed by *gulp* Bohemia Interactive, who are now working on Arma 2. So it is fair to say that I wasn't expecting too much from the title, how glad was I to be wrong.

Source: BadAssGamer preview

Both authors mention that they liked OFP:CWC and mention BIS are working on ARMA series. Both were worried by the fact that the sequel is being developed by a different studio than the original. And both say after seeing a demo of OFP:DR they're excited again.

Really, I don't understand jumping and threading that OFP:DR movie. I myself wasn't impressed by any of the last movies (BIS' and CM's) but I liked CM's one a bit better. Why? Because it showed a bit of real gameplay (i.e. fighting - OFP:CWC and ARMA were great walking freely games but when at last you went up to fight it was almost a disaster; if you don't agree show me one good - official or not - mission simulating a defense) and IMHO it wasn't too bad. BIS' CDF trailer showed us some vehicles going here and there and from time to time shooting we don't know at who (i.e.: if it was scripted). Not that it was supposed to show us something else (it was the faction-showing trailer) but IMHO there is nothing to excite about.

For now, we still have too few informations to judge both games. But I think it will end up as someone in this forum said. Both games will be nice in some respects and both will have some flaws. We'll be saying e.g.: I like Arma 2 better but at the X respect OFP:DR is much better. If only Arma 2 had this done as OFP:DR has it. And vice versa.

Remember back in the day when they said that the weapon handling would not be a floating zone type, but it would be something entirely new and better?   icon_rolleyes.gif

Ah yes- I remember the first previews. They promised so much, really made it sound like they knew what they were doing.

Remember back in the day when they said that the weapon handling would not be a floating zone type, but it would be something entirely new and better?   icon_rolleyes.gif

It's a direct copy from BF:BC.

Quote[/b] ]Going into the demo of Operational Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising, I had doubts. I was a big fan of the 2001 original game that was developed by Bohemia Interactive, but now Bohemia is off doing the ArmA series while Codemasters is developing Flashpoint 2 internally. However, after Codemasters' event in San Francisco this week, I'm excited again. This new Flashpoint looks incredibly promising for those who are looking for a more authentic take at military operations.

Quote[/b] ] Before I begin, I must confess that I was very sceptical about the whole set up, you know, 'Codemasters' making the sequel to the game we all love...but the original OFP was developed by *gulp* Bohemia Interactive, who are now working on Arma 2. So it is fair to say that I wasn't expecting too much from the title, how glad was I to be wrong.

Both authors mention that they liked OFP:CWC and mention BIS are working on ARMA series. Both were worried by the fact that the sequel is being developed by a different studio than the original. And both say after seeing a demo of OFP:DR they're excited again.

Really, I don't understand jumping and threading that OFP:DR movie. I myself wasn't impressed by any of the last movies (BIS' and CM's) but I liked CM's one a bit better. Why? Because it showed a bit of real gameplay (i.e. fighting - OFP:CWC and ARMA were great walking freely games but when at last you went up to fight it was almost a disaster; if you don't agree show me one good - official or not - mission simulating a defense) and IMHO it wasn't too bad. BIS' CDF trailer showed us some vehicles going here and there and from time to time shooting we don't know at who (i.e.: if it was scripted). Not that it was supposed to show us something else (it was the faction-showing trailer) but IMHO there is nothing to excite about.

For now, we still have too few informations to judge both games. But I think it will end up as someone in this forum said. Both games will be nice in some respects and both will have some flaws. We'll be saying e.g.: I like Arma 2 better but at the X respect OFP:DR is much better. If only Arma 2 had this done as OFP:DR has it. And vice versa.

Well i never judge games by game reviews made by money making websites. The coalition forces are still searching the weapons of mass destruction in Iraq wink_o.gif

What you can do is compare footage released by the Devs.

So when you have played OFP and ArmA you can be pretty sure what you will get with ArmA 2. After all the time you should know that.

Now lets have a look at the OFP: DR footage.

I played  alot of games from BF to CoD, FarCry... and all i can say the trailer reminded me more of one of those instant fun games than anything close to OFP which keeps you entertained over years.

There is nothing bad with instant fun games but they shouldn´t be called Operation Flashpoint when they are not.

CM want to release this summer but when you have a look at the trailer that can´t be true and if they still intend to do so well... there are other games i would by over OFP: DR. Don´t get me wrong when CM first said they will do another game like OFP i was one of those who said yeah i am going to buy, its always good to have 2 games in this Genre. But with the first ingame footage that changed to omg what the Frak are they doing.

So when you have played OFP and ArmA you can be pretty sure what you will get with ArmA 2. After all the time you should know that.

Problem here is that not everyone is happy the way OFP and Arma plays.

I'm one of those who actually wait some quite drastic measures taken by BIS in correcting some weaknesses (=combat) in ArmA/OFP , but which i don't see in ArmA2. Because of that OFP2, even when it seems to slip more and more into deep dark waters is still just as interesting option as Arma2 is, maybe even more.

Hi all

The questions are:

How can Codemasters think it will retain the Kudos of the OFP name, when it releases a product with key aspects of the original missing; Jets and Civilians to name but two?

Does not this attempt at copying a great product make Codemasters look like they are plagurising?

Does Codemasters failure to live up to the vision of OFP leave potential customers for other Codemasters products sceptical?

How much dammage to Codemasters brand has attempting to copy OFP, developed by Bohemia Interactive Studios, done?

Kind regards walker

Quote[/b] ]Problem here is that not everyone is happy the way OFP and Arma plays.

I think no one denies that OFP and ArmA got there flaws but the thing is when you measure fun while gaming. Oh and by the way i think how OFP and ArmA plays is exactly the point in making it unique.

OFP is installed on one of my PC´s since day 1 the same goes for ArmA they both wished alot of other games a farewell into shelf.

OFP and ArmA are games you need to be addicted to you love it or you hate it there is no in between.

Problem here is that not everyone is happy the way OFP and Arma plays.

Of course, the games have a unique playing style which doesn't suit everyone.

I couldn't care less if Codemasteres released a game called Dragon Rising which would be nothing but BF2 with a bit of realism from OFP.

No problem there.

But what I can't accept is CM possibly turning the brand of Operation Flashpoint - a symbol of realistic warfare - into the game described above.

That's like if the next GTA would be a corridor FPS...

None of you have played the game, stop down-talking Codies.

Seriously guys. We are months away and I have no evidence any of you know what you are talking about so please shut up.

Seriously guys. We are months away and I have no evidence any of you know what you are talking about so please shut up.

So who you are to say we have to shut up did i miss anything?

I think you are on the wrong forum to do so this is official BIS Forum you should be happy to be allowed to discuss CM Products at all.

Arent CM got the name "Operation Flashpoint" only and BIS has the soul=developers? biggrin_o.gif  wink_o.gif

I guess CM delays the release of OFP2 to catch the Christmas trade. On the other hand they have many other games in progress...people with sharp tongue say CM is able to survive it if OFP2 will be a failure. Lets see if we get two good milgames or only one or none. By now only developers/betatester know what kind of (new) big+small improvements and features are working really good ingame.

This is a thread to discuss Flashpoint2 (or whatever it's called now), that's what people are doing, for and against, opinions are formed on the available evidence, I'm yet to see someone form an opinion based on something that isn't in evidence so I cannot see where you problem is.

Telling people to "shut up" is not acceptable, especially as you're already on 3 warning levels.

Alright back on topic

I have heard that the video that cm release is footage timed back to 2006

Can anyone confirm that?

If that's the case maybe CM is hiding something from BI inorder to fool them that they are making a dumb down game?

I have heard that the video that cm release is footage timed back to 2006

IIRC they confirmed it was just a mistake in the video titles or such.

The media doesnt have a trustworthy opinion.

They all say they loved the original flashpoint and they also say that like the original OPF all buildings in DR are enterable huh.gif .

The opinion of the fans is far more important and people have disected this footage to a point they could tell the crosshairs turn blue or red if you target friendly or foe.. many questions have been left unaswered so far wich is not a good sign of things to come.