FP : DR - News & Discussion

Will you be buy Dragon Rising?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

Codemasters own the name OFP, and with that name there is an 'expectation' of what should be included in OFP 2 in order for it to live upto the original. BUT it is a new game by a different development team. The way it has been marketed may come back to haunt them when it's compared to Arma 2, but I could be wrong and only time will tell.

Personally, I think OFP 2  will fall somewhere inbetween GRAW 2 and Arma 2. I certainly don't think it will occupy the same 'space' as Arma 2.

At the end of the day though, if it's a good game - it's a good game. If it's not - it's not. I'll approach it with an open mind, read the previews, read the eventual reviews, watch the gameplay vids, ask questions and if I feel it's worth my time and money, I'll buy it.

Anyway, two games striving to be the best Military Sim has to be good news for us, the fans of the genre.

Very well said, colt. If just everyone could have such a fortunate attitude, a lot of people would feel better!

Codemasters own the name OFP, and with that name there is an 'expectation' of what should be included in OFP 2 in order for it to live upto the original. BUT it is a new game by a different development team. The way it has been marketed may come back to haunt them when it's compared to Arma 2, but I could be wrong and only time will tell.

Personally, I think OFP 2  will fall somewhere inbetween GRAW 2 and Arma 2. I certainly don't think it will occupy the same 'space' as Arma 2.

At the end of the day though, if it's a good game - it's a good game. If it's not - it's not. I'll approach it with an open mind, read the previews, read the eventual reviews, watch the gameplay vids, ask questions and if I feel it's worth my time and money, I'll buy it.

Anyway, two games striving to be the best Military Sim has to be good news for us, the fans of the genre.

agreed 100%, lets just hope that CM didnt ruin yet another title confused_o.gif

I am incredibly un-impressed by OPF2, from what I've seen it doesn't deserve to own the title Operation Flashpoint.

Looking at ArmA 2 - That is the proper sequel, it looks friggin' amazing.

The designers were kind enough to let me take the 360 gamepad and try it out for myself. (Rest assured, it's coming to the PC, as well as the PS3).

To me that means that the 360 Controller was actually plugged into an XBox360.

I´m not an expert in marketing, but when you want to sell a product would´nt you always want to showcase it on the best possible platform?

That is what bothers me the most. They´re most likely going to port a game that was solely developed for consoles to the PC and sell it as OFP-GoW3000 or whatever the name may be  crazy_o.gif

I agree with Lecholas, theres still too little info out there to fully judge them. (Though admittedly this bf2/cod 4 like video doesn't vouch very good for the rest of the game...)

We still haven't seen too much of the AI and smother fps animations in Arma 2 yet. And we still haven't seen the complex weapon systems that Codemaster promised.

Quote[/b] ]Problem here is that not everyone is happy the way OFP and Arma plays.

I think no one denies that OFP and ArmA got there flaws but the thing is when you measure fun while gaming. Oh and by the way i think how OFP and ArmA plays is exactly the point in making it unique.

No. ArmA isn't fun. OFP ain't either, not anymore. I'm waiting for something new and better. With fresh point of view and execution.

ArmA2 has potential to be bit improved ArmA by info i have this far. That ain't enough to make me exited. ArmA might be unique, but it ain't good. Period. This is personal point of view. However i'm not bashing ArmA2 as it can become much better, however that is something which i can't tell at the moment. I know that there are few factions.

And because that i'm as interested of OFP2 as a game as i'm interested of Arma2. I'm not too exited about either, as there is too small amount of actual facts of which i'm intrested released from both.

Well, you don't go to the NHL forums and say you don't like ice hockey, do you?

Well, you don't go to the NHL forums and say you don't like ice hockey, do you?

Re-read my post as i was editing it at the moment you posted yours.

Quote[/b] ]Problem here is that not everyone is happy the way OFP and Arma plays.

I think no one denies that OFP and ArmA got there flaws but the thing is when you measure fun while gaming. Oh and by the way i think how OFP and ArmA plays is exactly the point in making it unique.

No. ArmA isn't fun. OFP ain't either, not anymore. I'm waiting for something new and better. With fresh point of view and execution.

ArmA2 has potential to be bit improved ArmA by info i have this far. That ain't enough to make me exited. ArmA might be unique, but it ain't good. Period. This is personal point of view. However i'm not bashing ArmA2 as it can become much better, however that is something which i can't tell at the moment. I know that there are few factions.

And because that i'm as interested of OFP2 as a game as i'm interested of Arma2. I'm not too exited about either, as there is too small amount of actual facts of which i'm intrested released from both.

Mmh may i ask you than what you are doing here on this forum? You can´t tell me the BIS Forum is your social network huh.gif

You registered here in 2006 and you have a post count by over 1000, so are they all complains about how bad ArmA (OFP) is?

Or is it because ArmA and OFP are such great games with a nice community and thousands of Addons which not many games offer you.

It´s up to you in saying vanilla OFP, ArmA or now ArmA 2 aren´t the best from start but you have to see the whole package you buy with ArmA.

Just my thoughts

None of you have played the game, stop down-talking Codies.

Seriously guys. We are months away and I have no evidence any of you know what you are talking about so please shut up.

So who you are to say we have to shut up did i miss anything?

I think you are on the wrong forum to do so this is official BIS Forum you should be happy to be allowed to discuss CM Products at all.

Because your not allowed to discuss anything to the politics of Arma & CM over there, once you do, you get a warning level. smile_o.gif

Thats why we love Placebo. biggrin_o.gif

All I have to say on the topic of this guy the the accusations is that, no matter the legality of the situation, right or wrong, those who read it get the impression that someone at CM diligently worked for BI and is now working with CM to make their game better. Simply put OFP fans are going, "Well thats good, someone from BI is working with CM to help make OFP2 as close to OFP as possible". When thats not a fair statement.

Thats not putting him on some pedestal, or stating that he says he did something more than simply "being a part of the OFP-team" (A veteran at that)... Its simply the impression people get when they read something like that. They loved OFP, now are skeptical that a new company is making OFP2, so if CM decided to throw in some tag lines like "People who worked with OFP work with us too!", then theres problems. I'm not saying they are, but its certainly looking that way every day this isn't addressed.

All I have to say on the topic of this guy the the accusations is that, no matter the legality of the situation, right or wrong, those who read it get the impression that someone at CM diligently worked for BI and is now working with CM to make their game better. Simply put OFP fans are going, "Well thats good, someone from BI is working with CM to help make OFP2 as close to OFP as possible". When thats not a fair statement.

Thats not putting him on some pedestal, or stating that he says he did something more than simply "being a part of the OFP-team" (A veteran at that)... Its simply the impression people get when they read something like that. They loved OFP, now are skeptical that a new company is making OFP2, so if CM decided to throw in some tag lines like "People who worked with OFP work with us too!", then theres problems. I'm not saying they are, but its certainly looking that way every day this isn't addressed.

Dooh you have revived something that the mods didnt want   banghead.gif

Besides, was it not found to be a miss typed comment on a preview or something.. besides.. ssshhhh

We are done with this clive Stuff..

Anyway.. I think its only natural that OFP:DR looks like BF2, because of the graphical style of the game.

Comparing ARMA2 and BF2, neither is Graphically worse than the other, they merely have different graphical and model styles. ARMA2 Lookes washed out in colour (which I like smile_o.gif ) And OFP2 looks slightly more contrasted and higher vibrancy of Colours. Lighting also affects the game more in terms of reflections etc, judging by the screenies.

But I will wait patiently for the final version.

OOOH new screenies biggrin_o.gif

Screenshots

Up to now noone can say if OFP2 or Arma 2 is going to be "the" big hit as we all did not have the chance to play the complete product yet.

Arma 1 was a desaster when it was released and Arma 2 still could be one. All we have up to now are scripted scenes and the same oddities that we had with OFP and Arma. BIS has willingly released Arma at a state that was riddiculous at best and OFP also took at least 1.5 years to get somewhat completed, so I guess fingerpointing into this or that direction is simply stupid.

Let´s see what it will be. Either OFP 2 or Arma 2 will be the thing, or maybe both, I do not give anyone credits for something that is not released yet. I´ve done so before Arma was released and the result was really terrible. I´m not married to BIS nor Codemasters, even if I´ve been to BI personally and talked to Marek. It´s one thing to have fun on a personal level, but it´s a very different thing to see that all the expectations and announcements for a sequel to OFP didn´t make it to reality.

I´m just sitting here waiting for the things to come. Not more, not less.

On a sidenote...my postcount may be somewhat high, still I can be hardly called a fanboy of the typical kind.

Quote[/b] ]On a sidenote...my postcount may be somewhat high, still  I can be hardly called a fanboy of the typical kind.

Yeah you are the fanboy of the other kind biggrin_o.gif  wink_o.gif

Thats the problem with the BIS Virus once infected it wont let you off you are caught in the matrix tounge2.gif

Not really wink_o.gif

Oh well i the more to use as a compaison, the better

Not really wink_o.gif

Oh well i the more to use as a compaison, the better

Of course, what I meant is that these have been posted a while ago already smile_o.gif

Mmh may i ask you than what you are doing here on this forum? You can´t tell me the BIS Forum is your social network huh.gif

You registered here in 2006 and you have a post count by over 1000, so are they all complains about how bad ArmA  (OFP) is?

Or is it because ArmA and OFP are such great games with a nice community and thousands of Addons which not many games offer you.

It´s up to you in saying vanilla OFP, ArmA or now ArmA 2 aren´t the best from start but you have to see the whole package you buy with ArmA.

Just my thoughts

Is it really so black and white to you that you can't understand idea of one person waiting two games (which should be rivals) but keeping critical eye for them and not having high expetations for them?

Reason why i'm hanging here is yet to find new info about ArmA2. Hello, ain't that what is part of what forums are existing huh.gif

Quote[/b] ]It´s up to you in saying vanilla OFP, ArmA or now ArmA 2 aren´t the best from start but you have to see the whole package you buy with ArmA.

No. I'm buying games from now on, not mods. That i learned from ArmA. If base game sucks, mods can't make it much better. That also i learned from ArmA.

I think that what you mean to say is if you think a game sucks, addons and mods will not change your opinion.

I think that what you mean to say is if you think a game sucks, addons and mods will not change your opinion.

Isn't that just what i said? Or can it be read differently?

Quote[/b] ]Is it really so black and white to you that you can't understand idea of one person waiting two games (which should be rivals) but keeping critical eye for them and not having high expetations for them?

No not at all thats why i asked why you are here but still hard to believe someone modding and spending so much time for a game he don´t like. That would be like me hanging around on the Battlefield Forums waiting for a game that will never happen.

Cmon don´t you hear the voices deep inside saying "it´s ArmA i love it" hehe tounge2.gif

Quote[/b] ]No. I'm buying games from now on, not mods. That i learned from ArmA. If base game sucks, mods can't make it much better. That also i learned from ArmA.

Mmh isn´t that what it is all about with OFP and ArmA go where you want do what you want and changing the game in the way you like it? I mean the OFP campaign was great the one of ArmA not so much but those are not the factors why both games are still around today.

But as Commando said:

Quote[/b] ]saying no to mods is like saying no to variation and fun?

For me there was one thing CM had over BIS (yes, just one and no it wasnt the OPF brand name).

It was the novelty factor, the fact that everything like the graphics, gameplay, a.i. the editor, everything was going to be new and diferent.

Maybe not necessarily better or maybe better in some aspects and worse in others but everything was going to be a fresh, new experience wich would go down well after all these years.. for a moment i could see the OPF:DG icon sitting next to the Arma II icon in my desktop but that image fadded away really..

Although im not that surprised by CM's change of direction i expected (hoped) they would reveal more than some ordinary, mass marketed, dumbed down, mainstream, arcade, childish looking action game, not after the big claims they made early on.

If you ever read some stuff about OPF: CWC you will most likely understand why it was so unique, diferent and revolutionary, a large part of it was the technology and scope of the game but creating an authentic, brutal combat experience with no intention to glorify war was just as revolutionary, it was a game developed how the developers wanted it to be, not developed after the success of other tittles or to target the largest possible audience, Operation Flashpoint was honest and succeeded on its own merit.

CM might be creating a game inspired by OPF (big environment, mission editor, vehicles, etc) but the gameplay looks reminiscent of other recent arcade tittles.

I'd be happy to swallow my words if CM were to prove me wrong this summer but my disapointed opinion is justified by what they've shown of OPF2.

I'd be happy to swallow my words if CM were to prove me wrong this summer but my disapointed opinion is justified by what they've shown of OPF2.

Just about sums up my thoughts! smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]No. I'm buying games from now on, not mods. That i learned from ArmA. If base game sucks, mods can't make it much better. That also i learned from ArmA.

Mmh isn´t that what it is all about with OFP and ArmA go where you want do what you want and changing the game in the way you like it? I mean the OFP campaign was great the one of ArmA not so much but those are not the factors why both games are still around today.

Do i really have to try to like ArmA the way you like it?