Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Operation Arrowhead: The questions and answers thread

I'm wondering how laser IR is implemented, and if "application sighting" will be seriously updated. Like, is it going to be a (yuck) action menu to turn on or off the laser? Or bound to a hotkey?

Will the new FLIR system allow for heat based weapon scopes, like seen in OFP DR? For gods sake, if it does, do not allow 'spacebar' IFF at least while in scoped view. I like to think of 'spacebar' IFF as in squiting your eyes to get a better look at someone to get the identification (although I'd like 2-5 (random) seconds delay for the ID, but that's another story), but in an IR scope all you see is a greyish mass against a contrasty background.

And with laser IR, is it now possible to detect that someone is in scoped/aimed mode, so that NVGs can be automatically turned off if the scope is not an NVG scope?

Also, does the simulated FLIR see through smoke? And can also AI see through smoke when FLIR equipped? Hopefully random intervals of detection as they wouldn't be using FLIR constantly (I guess). Don't know much about VBS2. Does it also simulate crossover time, where 'things' and background merge together in heat signature?

Here is a request on the environmental lighting system. Although OFP DR seems a bit on the bright side during darkness, they appear to get something right: Ambient lighting coming from a bright atmosphere. In Arma1/2 once the sun sets below the horizon and there is no moon, the ground is superblack. The glowing atmosphere does not affect the ground at all. Please please please make this better with OA.

I'm naturally thrilled about these new features. And it looks great. Unfortunately the answers gave birth to new questions :)

Edited by CarlGustaffa

Will Operation Arrowhead reintroduce holsters that actually have a pistol inside of them like the Queens Gambit expansion had? (though admittedly not all of the Mercs in queens gambit had a pistol in the holster.)

At the very least will there be some sort of "hidden selection" (not sure if that's the right thing) implemented so if you have a pistol in your inventory then it will appear in the holster?

I realize it's only a minor issue, but aesthetically speaking it looks kind of weird seeing a soldier bother even wearing a drop-leg/thigh holster if they aren't even going to carry a pistol (visually speaking.)

Apart from WOlle's info and Q/A what other info has come out from the Gamescon?

Ohara was saying lots of new info would be made official at GamesCon, I've been browsing all the major gaming websites and none of them have any new info apart from that the expansion has been announced!

Lucky for WOlle or else we wouldnt have much info at all!

I'd just like to hear they made a 'line of sight' function on the scripting side of things, and a bomb CCIP on the HUDs. I'd be a happy camper, er, defensive fortifier.. somthing.. lol

I'd want to see there is finally at least hiddenselections for markings/random numbering/register plates for all military vehicles,so we could at least add markings/numbers ourselves.It's incredible that BIS hasn't learned that much from OFP/arma community addons!

I don't think about expansion pack with extended engine to Arma2, I think about patches to Arma2 and in next year or two...

Too bad that ship has sailed, now ArmA2 is abandoned and will NEVER get fixed :459:

Also OA is obsolete because in 2012 there will be a new game so BIS has already stopped patching that aswell :yay:

Right, it's abandoned--guess that's why they just had two different betas released this week.

Right, it's abandoned--guess that's why they just had two different betas released this week.

I thought the sarcasm was obvious :rolleyes:

Is there going to be a functional FLIR system out of the box (everything has heat based textures)

Jennik: Yes, there will be a FLIR system. We have one of the most sophisticated FLIR simulation systems already done for VBS2 and we will bring it in Arrowhead to fans of ARMA2 too.

Will the game have Functional IR lasers (PEQ units) like in vbs2? Or Flashlights?

Jennik: I'm glad to say: Yes, and yes.

Is the terrain based on Afghanistan? Or is it more of a desert?

Jennik: Kind of, it will include dense urban areas and the countryside too.

WOOT :yay:

HELL YES :yay:

THANK YOU JESUS :yay:

I thought the sarcasm was obvious :rolleyes:

Sorry, it's just that you mocked the tone of the whiners a little too well. Sarcasm is hard to detect when so many of the sincere comments here are so melodramatic.

Sarcasm is hard to detect when so many of the sincere comments here are so melodramatic.

True :p

One thing I hate though, which I hope they finaly fix, is warping of units in MP. Even with the smoothest server and only one person connected with pings of 26, you can never really attack units long distance they just warp every 4m.

ooh, sounds very interested.

especially the PEQ/Flashlight part. I guess BI don't want to be any worse than Codemaster now that we know they have it in OFPDR ;)

Good to hear there will probably be a Gold Edition as well. that's what I'll be buying, since I haven't gotten around to buying A2 just yet, and with the announcement of OA I feel like I might as well wait for this, and hopefully another A2 patch will be out by then

especially the PEQ/Flashlight part. I guess BI don't want to be any worse than Codemaster now that we know they have it in OFPDR ;)

Well, it *is* a very smart move to headshot several of your only competitor's sales arguments :)

Let us just hope that the "cones of light" aren't present with the flashlights, or indeed, in any of the other light sources.

One of the Mythbuster moto is: If it is worth doing, it is worth OVER DOING.

hope BI wont just stop there and think "Ah, that should be enought" :p

I do not really understand this. As I believe this is because the wrong communication from Bohemia. Got to add that I fully agree with Zolten.

I know that OA will be a stand alone game for medium price. But my question is: Why Bohemia wants to sell a stand alone PC game (especially when its better optimized, newer features, less bugs) for half the price as Arma 2 has?

What happens with the current customers, that already payed and purchased Arma 2? Does not matter? This is just a business? This is just like a slap in the face for the Arma 2 owners. I only hope that Bohemia is going to get this back from one of their business partners. So they sell you something for which you have to pay 100% price, and after 2 months the business partner annouces that they have a better product for half price.

Haven`t you heard that invest 80% into current customers, and only 20% to get new ones?

Edited by [SONAF]Rebel

Rebel;1415815']What happens with the current customers' date=' that already payed and purchased Arma 2? Does not matter? This is just a business? This is just like a slap in the face for the Arma 2 owners.[/quote']

Ah for crying out loud!

THEY ARE NOT ABANDONING ARMA 2!!!

Ah for crying out loud!

They're not worth replying to anymore. They're just lazy.

Rebel;1415815']

What happens with the current customers' date=' that already payed and purchased Arma 2? Does not matter? This is just a business? This is just like a slap in the face for the Arma 2 owners.[/quote']

[sarcasm]

Yes BIS are working on ArmA4 so ArmA2/OA and even ArmA3 is obsolete and therefore abandoned....

[/sarcasm]

omg should i cry or laugh :confused:

Ah for crying out loud!

I am not saying that they are abandoning Arma 2... but lets say you have 100 employees... you have just launched a game, so every employee have to work on finishing and fixing the product you have just launched... now you are running out of money because the sales have not exceeded your prognosis.

What options you have got? Make a newer/better game, and hope that will get some attention and make some money. From this moment you have to split your dev. team to fifty-fifty, or rather 30-70. What does that mean to current customers? Less attention, because they have not got resources to cover both games.

But Bohemia needs money and have no other options, they think, or I rahter think :)

The business strategy they have choosen could be a start to another interesting topic.

Again, if you had read the thread, you would know they've been working on this since before ArmA II's release. :rolleyes:

Rebel;1415843']I am not saying that they are abandoning Arma 2... but lets say you have 100 employees... you have just launched a game' date=' so every employee have to work on finishing and fixing the product you have just launched... now you are running out of money because the sales have not exceeded your prognosis.

What options you have got? Make a newer/better game, and hope that will get some attention and make some money. From this moment you have to split your dev. team to fifty-fifty, or rather 30-70. What does that mean to current customers? Less attention, because they have not got resources to cover both games.

But Bohemia needs money and have no other options, they think, or I rahter think :)

The business strategy they have choosen could be a start to another interesting topic.[/quote']

OMG yes your right, this is the end :pray: