Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Operation Arrowhead: The questions and answers thread

OMG yes your right, this is the end :pray:

not this, but this may be the answer why their product can`t compete as well as they would like it to.

Rebel;1415854']not this' date=' but this may be the answer why their product can`t compete as well as they would like it to.[/quote']

No, this is rubbish.

Look it up, they started working on OAH even before ARMA 2 was released.

Well, the graphic artists did as they had nothing else to do - their job was done and I suppose they just didn't wanna sit around and do nothing (surprisingly not everyone can do everything - 3D modeler won't go around fixing engine bugs...).

i believe some of them have when onto developing carriar command and some of them have assigned to Op. arrowhead, but that wont do any difference, besides, if it not how it was, how come there is already so many models, art works and stuff for BI to show? You "BI dumping ARMA2" hoax guys dont really think that those thing are made just over night right? so for the last time, please, just shut up, you just make yourself sounds like one of those "moon landing hoax" guys, dont make me punch your face...

Edited by 4 IN 1

Rebel;1415815']I know that OA will be a stand alone game for medium price. But my question is: Why Bohemia wants to sell a stand alone PC game (especially when its better optimized' date=' newer features, less bugs) for half the price as Arma 2 has?[/quote']

Not a standalone PC game is sold to you but an expansion pack, which is standalone. Why it's sold as standalone is explained in the first post.

What happens with the current customers, that already payed and purchased Arma 2? Does not matter? This is just a business? This is just like a slap in the face for the Arma 2 owners. I only hope that Bohemia is going to get this back from one of their business partners. So they sell you something for which you have to pay 100% price, and after 2 months the business partner annouces that they have a better product for half price.
Welcome to the world of entertainment software. This might be destroy your picture of the world but yes, this is just a business. It always was a business and ever will be.

And why OA is a slap in the face only you know I guess. Was Resistance for OFP a slap in the face? Was Queens Gambit a slap in the face? No because no one was forced to buy the expansion. And this time the expansion is made standalone so people without ArmA2 can still play it, actually I find this a very interesting idea. And those who already have ArmA2 can use their product in Arrowhead. So where in the world you see a problem (besides that AO should be free for you, of course)?

Really, I don't get it why people come up here with "business suggestions" for BI when they can't even read one or two threads.

:rolleyes:

No, this is rubbish.

Well, the graphic artists did as they had nothing else to do - their job was done and I suppose they just didn't wanna sit around and do nothing (surprisingly not everyone can do everything - 3D modeler won't go around fixing engine bugs...).

I am sure that they started to work on plan B, if plan A is not going to succeed as well as they predicted - I do not know which is which :).

My idea would be to give some sort of discount to those, who bought Arma 2. Because they are the core why Bohemia is still alive, so Bohemia should not forget about loyal customers - especially when Bohemia has no big capital companies behind them. Not to mention, with this movement not only the loyality would grow, but it would be easier to track how many of their current customers bought OA, and how many they lost.

---------- Post added at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 PM ----------

Not a standalone PC game is sold to you but an expansion pack, which is standalone. Why it's sold as standalone is explained in the first post.

Welcome to the world of entertainment software. This might be destroy your picture of the world but yes, this is just a business. It always was a business and ever will be.

And why OA is a slap in the face only you know I guess. Was Resistance for OFP a slap in the face? Was Queens Gambit a slap in the face? No because no one was forced to buy the expansion. And this time the expansion is made standalone so people without ArmA2 can still play it, actually I find this a very interesting idea. And those who already have ArmA2 can use their product in Arrowhead. So where in the world you see a problem (besides that AO should be free for you, of course)?

Really, I don't get it why people come up here with "business suggestions" for BI when they can't even read one or two threads.

yes I know it could be very interesting for new buyers, but lets just not forget those who payed for Arma 2. And Lets just not say, that Bohemia has enough resources to cover both games... come on!

I bet you might understand that why after 40 years there is still 20% of world population still thinks that moon landing is fake dont you?;)

yes I know it could be very interesting for new buyers' date=' but lets just not forget those who payed for Arma 2. And Lets just not say, that Bohemia has enough resources to cover both games... come on![/quote']

I envy you, really I do. You must be a true insider if you can tell that BIS has not enough resources to cover both games. Wow now I'm really impressed.

Please stop confusing people here with your (not exisiting) knowledge and let BIS decide where and how they make use of their developers.

Were not talking about buying a car or house here. It will be a cheap-o price tag on it.

Seeing that city how dense it is - and very very dangerous to walk through - it will be so fucking nice being CAS'ed by an Apache with VBS2 FLIR searching the roofs and balconies. :) :) :) At the same time on the ground below the Apache - searching the narrow roads in the dark with weapon mounted flashlights... Using our PEQ's to aim...

Mmmmmmm OpAH! (or just OpA?) :)

Cant wait.

I have a new question to anyone who can answer.

The developers plan on releasing some of the core changes introduced in Operation Arrowhead (such as performance optimizations and such) as patches so regular ArmA II players will be able to stay up to date with regard to performance, but not new content.

Hypothetically speaking if FLIR, flares or any other feature is part of that new content and it will not be brought in ARMA2 also, does that means that if I own both games, the OA M1A2 TUSK will have FLIR while the ArmA2 M1A2 wont? Same with helicopters, will the Apache have flares while Cobra wont? I’m asking because in this particular announcement they say they will update ARMA2 to OA level only in terms of performance. Is there an official statement where it says what features will be brought to ARMA2 also?

Just had a look at the vid and I must say:

I love the Apache :)

The mountains you see in the background look sweet.

I read on an Italian site that, which has an interview (contains most of what we already know), it will be awhile before we see it. It is in the very early stages of development. They were quite positive about it.

What people tend to forget is that for 20 euro or so you get how many hours of pure pleasure.....? Tons.......so, please stop the whining and see if we can actually get some extra footage or questions answered. It would be nice if Wolle could arrange some footage directly from the dev team highlighting some of the new features....

Rebel;1415877']

yes I know it could be very interesting for new buyers' date=' but lets just not forget those who payed for Arma 2. And Lets just not say, that Bohemia has enough resources to cover both games... come on![/quote']

I'm just kind'a curious here... What do they have to cover for ArmA2 aside from some campaign bugs, that aren't problems with the engine that they'll *have* to fix for OA anyway i they want to do anything about them at all? OA is made on the same engine and will suffer from the same problems as ArmA2. Thus if they want them solved for OA they'll have to solve them for ArmA2, and you'll get it in a patch. Voilà. Now please tell me what the resources aren't sufficient for :)

Hypothetically speaking if FLIR, flares or any other feature is part of that new content and it will not be brought in ARMA2 also, does that means that if I own both games, the OA M1A2 TUSK will have FLIR while the ArmA2 M1A2 wont? Same with helicopters, will the Apache have flares while Cobra wont? I’m asking because in this particular announcement they say they will update ARMA2 to OA level only in terms of performance. Is there an official statement where it says what features will be brought to ARMA2 also?

I second that, good question. From what I understood is that you can use all Arma 2 resources within the new engine, I would assume it means that you'll have the new features available if they exist in their real life counterparts.

I envy you, really I do. You must be a true insider if you can tell that BIS has not enough resources to cover both games. Wow now I'm really impressed.

Please stop confusing people here with your (not exisiting) knowledge and let BIS decide where and how they make use of their developers.

Since this is a forum where people can tell what is on their mind I though I was free to do that...

What does resource mean in your dictionary? Developers... Resource means everything that a project requires: money, knowledge, developers, capital, etc.

I was talking about long-term business goals, and you are talking about the opposite here.

All I just want is a great community, without diversions. In order to reach that all opinions are needed. Don`t you think?

Edited by [SONAF]Rebel

I haven't seen any such information yet, and I don't think it's likely it'll come in a while.

However I do think that you are pretty correct with the above examples. They still need some selling arguments other than Afghanistanish stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if it was patched into ArmA2 after half a year after the expansion release though. At least stuff that doesn't need maaaaajor work (like the FLIR seem to do).

I would think so as well. If he add flares to aircrafts in OpA then ARMA2 aircrafts will get it too. Same with FLIR. Im not sure, but i hope that will be the case. Otherwise the expansion will be "better" than the original game.

Well see. I trust BIS do what they can.

Alex

I haven't seen any such information yet, and I don't think it's likely it'll come in a while.

However I do think that you are pretty correct with the above examples. They still need some selling arguments other than Afghanistanish stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if it was patched into ArmA2 after half a year after the expansion release though. At least stuff that doesn't need maaaaajor work (like the FLIR seem to do).

If the FLIR is texture based and you can use all Arma 2 resources in OA, that would mean they need to redo all Arma 2 resources....not?

---------- Post added at 02:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 PM ----------

I would think so as well. If he add flares to aircrafts in OpA then ARMA2 aircrafts will get it too. Same with FLIR. Im not sure, but i hope that will be the case. Otherwise the expansion will be "better" than the original game.

Well see. I trust BIS do what they can.

Alex

Isn't that the whole puprose of an expansion? :D Better....?

I think that's hard to tell at the moment, technically possible it is to provide this in a (huge) patch for ArmA2 as well which contains the upgraded vehicle models. Time will tell I guess.

What people tend to forget is that for 20 euro or so you get how many hours of pure pleasure.....? Tons.......so, please stop the whining and see if we can actually get some extra footage or questions answered.

That's actually something that makes me wonder too. Buying a 300$ hardware which is outdated a few months after purchase is fine, but 20 or 30$/€ for an expansion which brings lots of new enhancements is out of question.

It would be nice if Wolle could arrange some footage directly from the dev team highlighting some of the new features....

You overestimate my power I guess. :)

However I'm sure there will be more footage one day. Remember that AO currently is in a very early state of development and far from being finished.

Again, if you had read the thread, you would know they've been working on this since before ArmA II's release. :rolleyes:

So I can assume then that since they were working on ArmA2 before ArmA1 was released and now we find out they've been working on Arrowhead before ArmA2 was released that...

ArmA2 is what ArmA1 was supposed to be AND that OA is what ArmA2 was supposed to be.... :confused: :p

Doesn't really matter as long as its enjoyable.

Don't know if any of you remember when games retailed in the $80 range and if you were lucky you had a CGA monitor to enjoy them in color instead of green or orange. IMO spending that amount now for two excellent works of art is well worth it.

Only hope that as much work goes into perfecting the AI as goes into rendering the leaves on the trees. ;)

For me personal OA has much more appeal than Arma 2, and that is simply due to its settings. Do I regret buying Arma 2, hell No.....It is with everything in life, one needs diversity.....and the simple fact that BIS is expanding its engine with something as different to the original only praises them. And what are we all bitching for.......we rather don't have the expansion, because of what, it costs a few $$$?

Come on, software companies have a ROI and correlated ETA that need to be matched. It is quite logical that they weren't able to put everything in the game, because the economics wouldn't allow them more time. I think 20 or 30 euro is cheap for what you are getting......That surported by a great community......where the devs actually participate in.....well, what more can you ask?

However, I do think you should be able to state things you like to see changed and be bettered and some interaction with developer on these topics, but keep it constructive and flowing, instead of the constant bashing. It must sometimes be a nightmare for the devs to go through these posts and take out some valuable points. As 90% is pure flaming shit.

The whole thing seems a bit silly to me. Don't get me wrong, I'll be picking it up and playing the hell out of it like everyone else and I love the new features but it seems like they're just trying to avoid the inevitable anger from the community that releasing another title with a few changes here and there would bring by labeling it a "Standalone Expansion".

I'd be interested in knowing exactly how compatible the ARMA 2 units will be with OA. He wasn't exactly forthcoming when it came to answering how ARMA2 and OA would work together.

Couldn't they just let us enjoy ARMA 2 for a while, let the community get some addons rolling out then Announce Arrowhead when they were willing to actually show us something? Thats the only issue I really take with how they handle their games. They announce far too early and then they wonder why people get pissed when they change/remove features and refuse to give us anything to look at.

Just keep your lips zipped and give yourselves a solid chance to work on the game. Once you have it at a stage you are proud of then announce it along with some content for the community to have a look at and go from there. Its just silly announcing games when they're at the stage of "JoeBob had a great idea for a game last night and it will feature x,y and z."

Edited by Baldman

No, this is rubbish.

Nothing else to do? Had ArmA2 only few little bugs in the time of release?:rolleyes: No. Had ArmA2 totally new models? No, many of them were ported from ArmA1 wothout serious changes (even with some sounds). I suppose that was done because of shortage of time. So, I don't believe that devs had nothing to do with vanilla ArmA2 before the release. Or they hadn't tested it at all.

I'm not against this expansion, but I doubt that now BIS, rather small company, has enough abilities to successfully update and support both projects. ArmA1 shows this perfectly.

Edited by Spooky Lynx

Isn't that the whole puprose of an expansion? :D Better....?

Expansions so far have meant to make a core game better. Expand the core game with new missions, gear and whatnot. But not to the extent that when you play the core game itself - all the nice new things stop working. Not in my experience at least.

I have no problem with wich way it goes, but if the new stuff wont work with the ARMA2 gear, then all that gear becomes obsolete fast. To me at least.

So there will be desert vehicles in the beginning when i want to play on Cherna lol.

Maybe it is wise for the devs to release some trailer of OA as people now start bitching on youtube, which is sad:

That is truely bad for business.....and highly immature...........Alot of people will query Youtube and they will see this as first.

PS: In my country we could sue someone for posting that on youtube :), which if I was BIS I would do.

Edited by p75

Nothing else to do? Had ArmA2 only few little bugs in the time of release?:rolleyes: No. Had ArmA2 totally new models? No, many of them were ported from ArmA1 wothout serious changes (even with some sounds). I suppose that was done because of shortage of time. So, I don't believe that devs had nothing to do with vanilla ArmA2 before the release. Or they hadn't tested it at all.

It would help if you actually read what you're quoting...

No, this is rubbish.

If the FLIR is texture based and you can use all Arma 2 resources in OA, that would mean they need to redo all Arma 2 resources....not?

Yes, it is texture-based, and that's why it won't work in Chernarus. Simply because Takistan and Chernarus don't use the same set of textures or models, so just a few of the re-used models/textures will (possibly, depending on what they are) get a corresponding FLIR texture.

It'll be an insane amount of work to create FLIR textures for original ArmA2, so even *if* it might come eventually I hardly think it'll be an early priority. If the community is in a rush I guess we'll have to create replacements for everything and its mother once we have the FLIR support ;)