Sign in to follow this  
myshaak

Silent Hunter 5 announced!

Another stupid decision by the bean counters.

This is especially true when it comes to niche games like Silent Hunter. There is absolutely NO way I will buy this game because of this draconian nonsense.

I bite the bullet with ED (Black Shark, Lomac) even though they insist on using StarFarce. Their games are just that good that I make an exception but there is NO FUCKING WAY that I am going to support a game that forces me to be online for SP.

It seems Ubisuck hasn't learned their lesson when it comes to intrusive protection schemes.

+1

Online for Single Player games?

Unbelievable nonsense.

I cannot believe this being for serious.

I would have tried the game otherwise.

So: Thanx for the info!

I think I can live with that.

The game is genuinely good and developed for the PC and my laptop would literally choke to death if I installed that game on it.

Perhaps someone will make an "offline"-mod or UBI come to their senses later on.

I'm glad you can live with that because I certainly can't.

I'm really not sure what has become of PC gaming but I'm not impressed with it. I found out today that STO (Star Trek Online) is actually CHARGING for character classes (ie If you want to play a Klingon you have to pay) and this idiocy from Ubisuck is no less distressing

Basically if your connection goes down (or theirs), you will not be able to play.

PC gaming is definitely entering the Valley of Death and I laugh my ASS off when I see cretins come on here and talk about what a shitty company BIS is.

It's quite the contrary. BIS, ED and a select few others are the reason why I haven't given up on PC gaming altogether.

For the most part it's just a pathetic cash grab with nefarious devs using big IPs to see just how far they can go in terms of getting people to pay above and beyond the sticker price.

/throws up

Edited by BangTail

BangTail

Well if it was any other game I wouldn't, but Silent hunter is one of my favourites.

And if you don't like it, then the choice is simple.

I'm not particularly fond of what UBI has done to Rainbow Six, they moved to the console and the game was doomed.

But if some of their developer teams makes game I like I'll still buy games from UBI.

The gaming industry needs to get the "piracy"-problem under control, and perhaps this is how to do it?

Is this decision written in stone?

Blizzard is wavering about their decision to only have Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 playable via battle.net

Paying a monthly fee for any game that isn't a MMO is out of question.

I still do not see having to connect to some server somewhere to verify my game that much of a problem.

For better or worse UBI is not new in this area.

One example you cannot play your Dragon Age game with DLC without first logging on to their server.

For the most part it's just a pathetic cash grab with nefarious devs using big IPs to see just how far they can go in terms of getting people to pay above and beyond the sticker price.
IMHO that's why the console games are developed.

It is interesting you mention Bohemia Interactive here as they sure hasn't made precautions against piracy?

I like Bohemia Interactive that's why I'm still here even tho' the quality of their games has been vague to say the least, if it would have been any other developer I'd uninstall the game and moved away a long time ago.

I'll give up PC gaming when all games are Console ports, which sadly seem not too far away...

Now I derailed yet another topic, my apologizes.

Edited by Taurus

And if you don't like it, then the choice is simple.

Indeed and I won't be buying it as long as they go with that protection model :(

I'm not particularly fond of what UBI has done to Rainbow Six, they moved to the console and the game was doomed.

Ugh, couldn't agree more, I still play Raven Shield. That LV stuff is wank, I hate it

The gaming industry needs to get the "piracy"-problem under control, and perhaps this is how to do it?

Is this decision written in stone?

Blizzard is wavering about their decision to only have Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 playable via battle.net

Piracy doesn't effect their bottom line as much as they'd like us to believe it does. They always refer to pirated copies as "lost sales" but the truth is, most of the "lost sales" were people who would never have bought it if they couldn't have stolen it. I admit, it is a problem but inconveniencing paying customers is NOT the solution, neither is it particularly equitable. For example, I'd be surprised if Ubi's foolishness stops pirates for any significant period of time and yet they have just lost ~$50.00 of my cold hard cash.

Paying a monthly fee for any game that isn't a MMO is out of question.

Of course it isn't. Today's gamer would pay to eat a chocolate covered turd and they'd enjoy it.

I'll give up PC gaming when all games are Console ports, which sadly seem not too far away...

Same

Now I derailed yet another topic, my apologizes.

I am happy to do a one time verification, deal with Starforce or whatever (in extreme cases) but having to be online to play an SP game that I have already doled out $50.00 for, no thanks.

In the case of Ubisuck, again, I present you with the scenario where either your ISP or UBI's servers go down - no SH5 for you. It may be an obscure scenario but it DOES happen.

Finally, the quality of BIS games is undeniable given the scope of the undertaking. This is backed up by a never-ending commitment to improving the game throughout it's usually extensive life cycle.

In addition, I've never had any problems with their protection.

Edited by BangTail

Of course it isn't. Today's gamer would pay to eat a chocolate covered turd and they'd enjoy it.

Hm, not all, but many, especially the ,,, gamer.

Finally, the quality of BIS games is undeniable given the scope of the undertaking. This is backed up by a never-ending commitment to improving the game throughout it's usually extensive life cycle.

Some did complain, I didn't have any problems with it either.

BIS is very special in this department as they even patch Arma after all these years.

Well, lets not write this game off shall we?

We will see what happens, perhaps I'm naive I don't know, but time and rants from the communities has changed things in the past.

Edited by Taurus

Supply and demand. More likely to find a crack for a popular title than a niche product - it's software after all. I don't think UBI protects their own network with just SW "firewalls" either.

Rise of Flight has a similar DRM implementation. I heard it will be removed.

Ubisoft released a few new screens on the official forum.

The customized ships are only available in the Campaign and they are non playable. They act as elite AI units in the dynamic campaign (including the U-boats).

By the way, find below a sneak preview of five of the seven exclusive skins (3 submarines & 4 ships) coming with the collector:

HMS Duke of York

HMS Stork

HMS Suffolk

HMS Walker

U-552

(Images are too big to hotlink)

Think I have just about every sub sim over the years, inluding all the SH series, some sims dating back to amiga days.

Was looking forward to this one, but the practicalities are that I may not online for a few months in a bit. So if I need to be online just to play a singleplayer game, it won't be feasable. So potential lost sale to me for sure. Shame was looking forward to it.

Had a load of problems with Steam and a messed up user account in the past, it meant for months I couldn't even play the single play stuff on a game I had paid for. Not going that route again, no way.

Gen

:yeahthat:

No SH 5 (and also no Settlers 7) for me then. No chance I buy any title with that "protection", not even if the price drops to 10 cents.

Thanks Ubisoft, go and die already.

Thanks Ubisoft, go and die already.

I have to agree. They have wrecked so many great franchises with their soulless, money grabbing practices.

I don't deny anyone their right to make money but Ubisuck ruins things in favour of the dollar.

Edited by BangTail

Thx for posting;

Despite being unhappy with SHIV [for me being not more than an expansion pack for the III -> there was even a bug with german marches being played in some of the pacific harbors....] I look forward to this new one; the free-roam feature shall make it more immersive and realistic

but well yeah.. the steam-thingie.... seems a bit discouraging "thanks to" some bnad experiences with other titles like HL2 or RedOrchestra I had in the past....

Wow, can't wait till this comes out with UBisoft's new DRM installed. You can't play this game, or any new Ubisoft game if you're not connected to the internet. As soon as you lose connection, it kills the program.

Wow, can't wait till this comes out with UBisoft's new DRM installed. You can't play this game, or any new Ubisoft game if you're not connected to the internet. As soon as you lose connection, it kills the program.

And when the game bombs because people don't want this activity, and decide to stick with SH3, they'll blame piracy. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. They need to apply more aggressive DRM to make sure people buy it, and when people don't buy it, it's because the DRM wasn't aggressive enough.

Morons.

On top of the absolutely inacceptable DRM:

- Only one boat type (VII)

- Campaign ends in 1943

:annoy:

My a$$ Ubifail, go die already. But I said that already before.

You could still buy 44/45 plus additional boats as DLC i would reckon. Milking it for what it's worth. Speaking of worth ... after seeing the first preview pics of SH5 my decision not to buy the title was already made, even before they were blowing the ballast tanks on that DRM Kraken. Why should i pay for my textures.

Better to install and play SHIII + mods.

Publishers of these day are only interested making profit as fast as possible...

I have to admit, only having one type of u-boat doesnt bother be so much. Aslong as it is much more detailed and challenging to learn. I am quite happy to throw myself into "sim mode" and learn the ins and outs of the one class. I can even put up with the DRM to an extent. But not having the game see through to the end of war is utter stupidity. I have no doubt that the mod teams will sort this out after the release. But surely doing this is going to mean the exclusion of all tech after 1943. We all know the history, to me playing in those later years can be great fun. Its so much more challenging knowing that you have to be extra carefull and cannot get away with tatics used early in the war.

As soon as you lose connection, it kills the program.

I don't think that's true, according to a user who got a preview version of the game, if you disconnect or lose connection from the internet the game just pauses until you reconnect, no killing the program or anything.

I don't like the one sub idea, but the war ending in 1943 is just fine for me, I never got to 1944 anyway in SH3.

This is really disappointing. I can survive this nasty drm but one boat and short campaign isn't very promising.

It will take like two years for modders and community to do something good with this product :/

I think the DRM kills this for me, too. I really wish the Silent Hunter team would do a somewhat more modern subsim, I have really fond memories of 688 Attack Sub... maybe something set in the cold war period.

The main problem is they did SH3 so well, it's hard to see how they could top that in the same era. SH4 wasn't bad but it just seemed like more of the same really, and for the life of me I can't think of how they could possibly do another game in the same era that'd have the same "wow factor" as SH3 did.

Shame because it's such a niche market and a lack of success will make developers even less interested, but they're just not doing anything interesting enough to make me willing to buy in and invest the time (and as above, I'm not sure they could do anything in this era to achieve that). Certainly nothing amazing enough that I'd be willing to support their ridiculous DRM.

On top of the absolutely inacceptable DRM:

- Only one boat type (VII)

- Campaign ends in 1943

Then it's settled: No SH5 for me.

Any mods to suggest for my SH3 game? Active harbour, realistic anti-sub net/mines, graphical improvements, etc.; all in one bunch if there are any mods like that?

Neal Stevens from subsim.com wrote a quite good preview of the upcoming Silent Hunter 5.

http://www.subsim.com/2010_02/sh5/preview_sh5_feb2010.php

This guy is oldschool sub sim fan, I'd listen when he has something to say. Forget about the mindless previews on those generic game sites.

That is true however the main problem still stays: I can not play an Offline game without permanent internet connection. Not that this would be a problem for me (at home). But it surely is a problem when I travel and for many people who aren't so lucky to have a stable and permanent internet connection.

It's a matter of principle, no more Ubisoft games for me. Both SH5 and Settlers 7 preorders are cancelled.

Maybe one day if they changed their business model and treating customers as what they are I might go and give them some of my money again - if they survived until then that is. :)