Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

I just picked up this month's issue of the US PC Gamer and it has a big 1 page advert for Operation Arrowhead. 'Tis pretty cool, apart from mister "RAAAAAAAWR SILENCER & SAFETY RAAAAAAAAWR"...

Arma 2 got a GOTY award from PC Gamer? :eek:

There's an even better OA preview in the April '10 issue of PC gamer. It's a whole 3 pages, and there are pictures too! :D

Edited by tsb247
spelling mistake

It already does sort of... well for the gunner. That is, the gun follows your mouse cursor as does your view. But for freelook, TrackIR, and the pilot is another story. It might be possible to do it with some clever scripting and/or using a mouse emulator for TrackIR for example.

I am aware of being able to manipulate and control the cannon when in the guners station and look throuhg the targetting optics. I am talking about when your head is not down in the optics, and as BI have gone to the effort of replicating the monicle helmet mounted HUD, is it not an obvious point to then allow the controlling and firing of the cannon as well. You must remember being in the gunners position of the helicopters is useless in Arma 2 as the AI cannot predict how you want to fight, and you dont have enough control over the AI to tell them. The AI end up flying a kamakaze mission and throwing the choppe round so you cant aim and hit the ground, never mind a vehcile or troops.

As i suspected question relating to OA are getting lost in this thread, a single thread dedicated to the up and coming addon with over 450 pages is ridiculous. BI can you please create another forum page dedicated to OA, as sifting through 6 pages of people getting their knickers in a twist over what publisher you use, i cant a DVD copy of the game etc etc just to get back to more interesting questions is a little silly :j:

Regards

Whisky

Edited by Whisky Delta

As i suspected question relating to OA are getting lost in this thread, a single thread dedicated to the up and cmoning addon with over 450 pages is ridiculous. BI can you please create another forum page dedicated to OA, as sifting through 6 pages of people getting their knickers in a twist over what publisher you use, i cant a DVD copy of the game etc etc just to get back to more interesting questions is a little silly :j:

Discussions about the publisher are just as relevant as whatever you are interested in and there is already a second thread exclusively for press coverage. If you can't find the info you are looking for, just ask.

Discussions about the publisher are just as relevant as whatever you are interested in and there is already a second thread exclusively for press coverage. If you can't find the info you are looking for, just ask.

I am not disagreeing with that, what i am saying is, having a single thread which has now exeeded 450 pages needs to now migrate over into a dedicated forum page, so all of the individual questions and concerns can be approached individually.

Regards

Whisky

I am not disagreeing with that, what i am saying is, having a single thread which has now exeeded 450 pages needs to now migrate over into a dedicated forum page, so all of the individual questions and concerns can be approached individually.

Regards

Whisky

So you're suggesting they create a new sub-forum for OA. Sounds fair enough, but it's unlikely to happen before OA is actually released. And even then I wouldn't count on it. ;)

If you want to suggest this to the mods and make sure they see it, send a PM to Placebo.

I am aware of being able to manipulate and control the cannon when in the guners station and look throuhg the targetting optics.

You don't have to be in optics mode to swivel the cannon as a gunner just by looking around, of course when you use free look it does not. Interestingly enough you can also control other things such as swiveling pylons but I highly doubt we will see that.

Edited by NodUnit

How is the A.I.? The A.I. in ArmA 2 aren't intelligent to say the least. They don't take cover half the time and rarely use any tactics besides flanking. I hope that's been improved.

;1642355']How is the A.I.? The A.I. in ArmA 2 aren't intelligent to say the least.

How can you claim they are not intelligent? Do you have a scientific way to measure the AI intelligence? As far as I'm concerned ArmA2's AI is much more capable than the AI I've seen in a lot of other games, and is an enormous improvement over BI's previous titles. And with any luck, OA will introduce further improvements.

;1642355']How is the A.I.? The A.I. in ArmA 2 aren't intelligent to say the least. They don't take cover half the time and rarely use any tactics besides flanking. I hope that's been improved.

What d'you mean they don't take cover half the time?

The AI I play with always uses edges of buildings, lamps etc.

The only problem is that they haven't learnt to be able so 'see' and 'use' manually-placed objects and small low walls yet.

What other tactics d'you mean?

The AI I play with always uses edges of buildings, lamps etc.

True, though I must admit that when being shot at in the open, they tend to drop to the ground first, instead of looking for hard cover.

True, though I must admit that when being shot at in the open, they tend to drop to the ground first, instead of looking for hard cover.

This. ^

Although my first reaction after purchasing ArmA 2 and seeing the AI using corners and "leaning" was none other than that of sheer joy. :D

I always didnt notice whats wrong with the animation and recoil in the game, but after watching Magpul Dynamic weapon training DVDs that my friend gave me and compare with what we have now, I am really start to think now that both are really bad in the game......:j:

You'd actually be surprised how effective that can be when you're not expecting it. Especially since they usually return fire as well. Running for cover makes them easier targets IMO, and they won't fire back.

You'd actually be surprised how effective that can be when you're not expecting it. Especially since they usually return fire as well. Running for cover makes them easier targets IMO, and they won't fire back.

:yeahthat: In most cases in ARMA2 the nearest cover is too far away to get to without exposing yourself to enemy fire.

Especially in OA, where the desert will be plain. (see what I did there? I tried to bring this back on topic xD)

About Zargabad; we've heard good news about the AI using the buuildings so I don't think you will have to worry too much about this ;)

Edited by SASrecon

I must say the only chance for surviving in the open is dropping on the ground. Yea i've seen so many people die in mp games because they were running for hard cover.

After a while you start to realize that the ai knows how to behave on the field, and playing like the ai does extends your lifespawn. :j:

After a while you start to realize that the ai knows how to behave on the field, and playing like the ai does extends your lifespawn.

I doubt laying prone in the middle of an open field, staying perfectly still and not firing back while being supressed by enemy small arms fire is good for your health. ;)

Will there be any official statement about the status of the publisher for Western Europe?

Will there be any official statement about the status of the publisher for Western Europe?

Hey, look on the bright side. If all else fails, there's always digital download. ;)

Why do i keep returning to this thread and leave with such a frown :p

Be back tomorrow see you then;)

I doubt laying prone in the middle of an open field, staying perfectly still and not firing back while being supressed by enemy small arms fire is good for your health. ;)

Except that they DO return fire the majority of the time, and they do a good job of supressing/killing you with it. And it's a lot safer than running (which makes you a significantly larger target) through a hail of fire.

The only real issue here is that AI aren't as... concerned.. about beign supressed as players, but it's not an issue in PvP which is what he was talking about (well, he said MP and it could have meant coop, but whatever).

A month away from the release date and no publisher. That reminds me what happened with our American friends with the ARMA II's release.

I'd like to have an official statement about this too.

AI should have some cooding like:

Im being shoot ==> Any good hard cover in x meters radius?

Yes. ==> Cover each other and go there. ==> Fire in proper stance (NOT lying down behind some wall or something.)

No. ==> Standart action.

Especially in OA, where the desert will be plain.

Rocks and bushes are present so its not completelly flat. But less cover than ARMA2 when your out of the green or rocky areas thats for sure (Takistan). :)

In reallife without cover you can make your own cover with bullets, hit the dirt and hide behind your bullets. But you should have a squad with you, a single shooting guy wouldnt scare the enemy.

AI should have some cooding like:

Im being shoot ==> Any good hard cover in x meters radius?

Yes. ==> Cover each other and go there. ==> Fire in proper stance (NOT lying down behind some wall or something.)

No. ==> Standart action.

Which means they would also have to code in AI terrain mapping of some sort, the back of the ground can be just as safe as any 'hard cover', just the smallest change in height of the ground.