Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

First: By providing a much more comfortable "vote system" with a menue or easily accessible interface. Many players (me included) dont even know there is one if they play for the first time and actualy cant always remember what is needed to type in to make someone either a "admin" or start a "kick voting" regarding rempaging team killing players. Other Multi player games offer much easier solutions.

Second: A "punish system", which could work in a way that if you get team killed by someone the game immediately offers you two options how to proceed with the situation with the option to either "forgive" or "not forgive" the team killer with the result that if he has to many unforgiven team kills (letz say 3 or 5 or make that number even adjustable) he will be be kicked out of the server automaticaly, without any admin needed.

Third: an easy accessible score board with player names, kills and team kills regardles which squad the player is in or anything else. Why is the game forcing me to cycle trough 2-3 menues and windows to get the informations about ONE player. Almost any game offers you a list with every name shown and a way to easily see all needed informations. Arma is overloaded sometimes with to much informations in some parts that are also very small written. Its hard to find a certain player by name for example.

Fourth: If you shoot a plane/vehicle/helicopter and it is crashing cause you shoot the engine you should get the team kills, not the pilot. Simple. If you get in a plane aim for your own spawn and jump out before its crashing, it should count as a team kill for the pilot. (This can be achieved trough programming and code, I know it such things are present in quite a few of multiplayer games I have, like Darkest Hour or Red Orchestra Ostfront which remembers the player in the vehicle and who shoot it, bee it friendly or not. If it happens that you use a bazooka to kill the engine, the driver is jumping out and its exploding any friendly near it will count as a team kill for the bazooka guy!)

There are definetly ways and possibilites to if not completely "stop" team killing idiots but make it a lot harder and less rewarding for them to start such a behaviour. In RO we had for a short time many issues with team killers (most not delibaretly though) after the invention of the "Forgive - not forgive" system it wasnt any serious issue anymore.

I've seen punish systems implemented via mission scripting. Truly there is no way for BIS to come up with some solution to deal with griefers aside from your first suggestion for a better voting system.

The reason I say that is because no all missions in ArmA2 are dependent on a score system, and with the current issue of you earning negative points when destroying opfor units with opfor equipment (ala, me grabbing a abandoned t-90 and blowing up russian units with it). I can honestly say I've had well over -100 (or under depending how you see it) once because of that, because I kept picking up armored vehicles from the enemy and using them. Same goes for teamkills. These can often be entirely accidental and sometimes unavoidable in a larger server, yet they can be dealt with via mission script to however the modder wishes to see fit, and not BIS.

Any implementation of the other suggestions you describe are either not necessary (it doesn't take that many screens to get a persons information, I don't think BIS can make it any easier, you're just lazy) or would become too constrictive and against the purpose of keeping the game open.

You're fourth suggestion is a very good one, however I doubt we'll ever see that implement by BIS. Usually if someone is doing such things, it is very easy to tell who it is and they are often banned quickly if admin are present.

Edited by Steakslim

Dealing with griefers can only be done with human admins. No score, punishment, or other system will effectively stop them; especially without harming actual players. The server just needs more admins on more of the time. When you see that crap give em the ban hammer. If the servers you play on are always lacking admins, find another.

My thoughts on backward compatibility of OA. Since OA is making engine changes, not map based changes, all of OA's features should work on the older islands. Maps really don't hold any information on them except the map itself. I can't imagine why OA soldiers couldn't be loaded into Chenarus or Utes with the new features. Could be wrong though.

I agree we totally need a GUI vote system, without that it takes a real unnecessary massive effort to kick misbehaving players.

I hope we get some new and useful animations with this. I'd really like to see a bunch of Civilian animations to add diversity and immersion to missions such as: Angry civilians pumping their fist in defiance; different levels of shock and mourning; cocky young men; aggressive screaming.

May not seem that important to everyone, but lets not forget we had some pretty silly ones added last time (dancing), and the variety of animations can really add a little spice to the world.

Alright. I plan on buying the ENGLISH version of Operation Arrowhead when it releases. I heard that peopel can import the ArmA II stuff into it, and I was wondering if I bought the German version of ArmA II, will it work with Operation Arrowhead? That way, I'll have everything all in english.

Thanks.

How I wish the developers would come in once a while to drop us a snippet on OA progress/features. Just to tease...

"from OFP2"

Ya know, im sure ive seen that exact style control system in many many many MANY games before OFP2, so why would you say that?

Personally I dont have any problems with assigning a quick order using action lists, and arent you kind of limited in how many actions are available when its a ring-menu?

Same thing with the vote kick system, i actually think its faster to type "#vote kick <randomretard>" than to bring up a GUI and do it.... but maybe thats just me.

But it wouldnt hurt to make it more user friendly.

No rings from BF2-ish games please. Let them stay in those games...

I'z wanna see da FLIR in action too. :) Also will be nice to see a HUD and what info will be in them. Cant wait. OpA will be great.

"from OFP2"

Personally I dont have any problems with assigning a quick order using action lists, and arent you kind of limited in how many actions are available when its a ring-menu?

Same thing with the vote kick system, i actually think its faster to type "#vote kick <randomretard>" than to bring up a GUI and do it.... but maybe thats just me.

I completely agree with the first part of your post, but I do have a problem with the kicking part you're describing.. it's of course easy to kick "random_retard", but kicking somebody who calls himself "♥♦♣(►M€G@_HA@##ORZ◄)♣♦♥" can prove to be quite a challenege of your ASCII skills :) I haven't met anyone on ArmA2 servers like this yet, but I guess it's only a matter of time, before some clan decides to use some ugly-ass stamp.. Back in the days when I played Americas Army this was a real pain.

You can use their session ID (under player list - P) too:

22: ♥♦♣(►M€G@_HA@##ORZ◄)♣♦♥

=>

#vote kick 22

OFP2 can use a rose because you can't mod the game - the available actions will never change. ArmA is infinitely moddable and so must provide for an unlimited number of actions, hence the menu. I know which feature I prefer.

OFP2 can use a rose because you can't mod the game - the available actions will never change. ArmA is infinitely moddable and so must provide for an unlimited number of actions, hence the menu. I know which feature I prefer.

I fully agree with that statement, and after so many years using the current scroll menu, I can't really imagine using anything different. I personally don't care if it ever changes.

With that said however, it really isn't very user friendly to new comers of the series, and has a very un-polished feel. That was fine 8 years ago when OFP first came out, but modern gamers expect more polish from things, and hate features which are not as user friendly as possible. Its one of those features that all the vets of the series are very use to, and might even argue hard to keep... but it really should be updated to be more presentable and appeal to new comers. Of course doing so is, as defunkt pointed out, much easier said then done.

Argh!! 93 pages and all I want to know is..will the expansion be available on DVD or just as a down load?

Doh!! And there was my answer right in the very first post.

A real Homer Simpson moment for sure....

(note to self..at least bother to read the first few pages before you ask dumb questions... :o

Edited by BeerHunter

It's the usual hype that follows any release of new information, Relemar. But the information released as of yet for OA does have reason to get excited over it, no doubt.

For all we know the rose menu can be very moddable. The BF2 rose menu is definably moddable judging by mods like PR and FH2.

And for the record, I dont like the unnecessarily complex and messy 1-9 Arma menu's and I wouldn't be surprised if BI were to suddenly swap it out with something more natural in a future game.

Especially in Arma2 things have become really bad for newcomers to the series because of the added quick menu, that is nowhere powerful enough to work on its own, and still relies on learning the old system, that is now partly hidden thanks to the quick menu.

This messy and bloated system does not add to realism, or gameplay. I like it because its what we've had since OFP, but its scaring newcomers off needlessly.

Edited by sparks50

Thats pretty weak of you, for all we know the rose menu can be very moddable.

Just like the BF2 rose menu, you can see a PR developer in process of designing a modded rose menu here:

http://www.realitymod.com/forum/blogs/12510/b91-too-many-numbers.html

In your quest to score cheap points you've made a complete knob of yourself by forgetting that PR is a total conversion. That modder is replacing the entire rose and his modded rose still won't allow a user to enable any number or mix of AddOns in the fashion that ArmA's (infinitely variable) action menu does. Think before you post next time.

In your quest to score cheap points

Let me correct that: in my quest of stopping fanboys from valsing around spreading rumors about DR, in a Arrowhead thread of all places.

you've made a complete knob of yourself by forgetting that PR is a total conversion.

No I know that, but on this subject, its totally irrelevant.

That modder is replacing the entire rose and his modded rose still won't allow a user to enable any number or mix of AddOns in the fashion that ArmA's (infinitely variable) action menu does. Think before you post next time.

Actually, hes just drawing a current rose to understand it, thus why I edited my post(and left a *in construction* mark at the end, that you missed.).

To say that it is going to be impossible to create any menu system because of the rose system being used is ridiculous. Now this is not a thread about DR, so take the needless fanboyness somewhere else thanks.

Edited by sparks50

Dude, it doesn't matter how many times you edit your posts, you ain't gonna look any smarter, the suggestion was made that OA use OFP2's ring menu and I'm explaining why it couldn't replace ArmA's action menu, all thoroughly on-topic (except your sniping that is). Next time engage brain before posting and you won't have to spend so much time back-peddling (sorry, 'rewriting') after the fact.

So you guys are discussing Operation Arrowhead? Or OFP2? I'm pretty sure this thread is for discussion about Operation Arrowhead.