Sign in to follow this  
HmoobSoldier

Do you really hear the crack of a bullet whizzing by?

The sound effects in AA2 scared the shit out of me. voosh voosh voosh shit

Me too, quite scary. Q. I only get stereo sound. Is ARMA2 5.1?

Never mind my settings were wrong, fixed now, scarier than ever!

Edited by SgtMjr

The sounds in arma2 always impresses me, but the only sound I hate is the m1a1 engine.

Not that it's bad or anything, but that I can still hear it 8 hours after being around one ingame for an hour.

Yeah I loooove being supressed in Arma2. Cracks, flyby, and impact sounds scares the shit outta me.

Lol, I've heard of afterimage, but afteraudio? :D

Yes you hear a crack and i also saw like a thin smoketrail, don´t know if it was from oil in the barrel from the AK47, when bullet passed by my head from behind

Having pulled targets at a rifle range, so far the latest HiFi sound mod for Arma has the most realistic sonic cracks IMO. Literally make you jump when one flies close enough

Sounds are brilliant you do not need a sound mod, has anyone stood next to artillery firing tanks etc. or had a shell land close. My dam ears felt like they were bleeding had to take the headset off, now that frightening.

I can definitely see the suppression effects on the player after being shot at (but not getting hit ofcourse), your vision will start to fade/glow and your aiming accuracy will be hindered.

I've done some test on expert, post effects max with troops 100 meters far and from my experience i'm sure that the effects you mention only occurs when you get hit, in first person view it can be confusing since you can take some hits without dying.

If people here i've played some other games featuring bullet suppression and supersonic cracks, BiS could improve a lot the immersion here by make the crack much louder when it comes close to the ears and add some shake on the screen as it is in the games i've mentioned. I'm sure mods like ACE2 will fix that but it may be cool to have this in Arma2 vanilla.

Edited by dunedain

I've done some test on expert with post effects max with troops 100 meters far and from my experience i'm sure that the effects you mention only occurs when you get hit, in first person view it can be confusing since you can take some hits without dying.

Nope, you're wrong. One of the first tests I ran in the editor was me as a lone sniper, trying to take out a bunch of Spetznaz on the other side of a valley. After opening fire on them, they began to shoot at me, so I went prone behind a shallow wall. I could hear bullets cracking and whizzing by all around me as they suppressed me and there were definitely suppression effects as descrived previously.

The screen only goes blurry for a split second if just one bullet flies by, but if you are heavily suppressed then the blurriness obviously lasts longer and your aim shakes pretty badly. In my case, it was almost impossible to effectively return fire.

Yep, indeed i've tried to hide behind a little wall of rocks while under heavy fire and suppression works well.

But, the rest of the time, when there is nothing but grass or makadam around you, it's like I said, there is no suppression effects until bullets hit you body. I hope BiS will fix this, shouldn't be hard since it's already half implemented. :)

Edited by dunedain

Yes you hear a crack and i also saw like a thin smoketrail, don´t know if it was from oil in the barrel from the AK47, when bullet passed by my head from behind

That was probably bullet trace, the visible "wake" of the bullet that varies with atmospheric conditions. Looks like a trail of mirage.

I only have the demo, but do all bullets in ArmA II produce a crack as they pass? The .45 and the suppressed Russian 9mm rifles should not, as their projectiles leave the barrel at subsonic speeds. Do supersonic bullets lose the crack effect as they drop below the speed of sound at long range?

All in all, from what I've seen in the demo, the implementation in RO: Darkest Hour is superior. I hope HiFi sounds make it to ArmA II by the time I get the full game.

You do indeed hear the crack of a bullet going by.

I nearly got mowed down that day :-P

Crack and thump! real life the crack is the bullet and the thump is the weapon firing, from the time lapse between the crack and the thunp, you can judge the distance to the shooter... in theory anyway, bit of a git tho when theres lots of cracks and thumps from all directions, chuck in noise of impact and shouting and very load bangs, smoke, your weapon firing along with a section of others and the fact your pooing your pants cos you gotta run around in it all.......do we really care? its a game and it sounds pretty good to me, and no doupt theres gonna be soooooo many more sound mods to choose from...just my ten pence worth

I remember hearing them during the war when I was a kid, so yeah...

Is that your vid Schurer - never seen a POV vid like that, bloody frightening ! - thats suppression for you, how the fuck do you react to that !.

I only have the demo, but do all bullets in ArmA II produce a crack as they pass? The .45 and the suppressed Russian 9mm rifles should not, as their projectiles leave the barrel at subsonic speeds. Do supersonic bullets lose the crack effect as they drop below the speed of sound at long range?

Don't quote me on this, but I do think that the supersonic crack is speed-depending, so that it won't occur if a bullet drops below supersonic.

Weapons that do fire subsonic ammunition never cause sonic cracks. They might cause a wizz, but not a crack.

Don't quote me on this, but I do think that the supersonic crack is speed-depending, so that it won't occur if a bullet drops below supersonic.

Weapons that do fire subsonic ammunition never cause sonic cracks. They might cause a wizz, but not a crack.

Yes, my question was regarding what happens in the game. For a weapon to be truly "silenced" it must have a suppressor and fire subsonic ammunition, as with the MP5SD's "tick-tick-tick."

Edited by akd42

1 thing I haven`t yet heard is the telltale "phhhhht" sound of a round going by. Or see dirt fly up as rounds hit the earth near me.

1 thing I haven`t yet heard is the telltale "phhhhht" sound of a round going by. Or see dirt fly up as rounds hit the earth near me.

Have you not seen/heard that in the game :eek: i've seen/heard that many times!

I see the dirt fly up if I am shooting at the ground... yes. But not from enemy fire, haven`t seen that effect yet. And I do hear rifle shots. But not the phhhhht sound of a round coming close to me.

cartier90; Yep that's me filming - it happened so quick I just threw myself down and rolled to the right, bullets flying just inches by us :-P

There was a lot of confusement and at first I didn't know where the shots were coming from, that's why you see me looking around at the end of the clip trying to figure out where the Taleban where - turns out they were right in front of us and also further to the right.

Thank god for making the Hadji's such poor marksmen! :-D

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but i watched 'Black hawk down' again last night and it didn't feature a single bullet crack. Arma 2 has spoiled me with its' immersion and thus, tainted my love of a great film.

*Sobs*

:D

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but i watched 'Black hawk down' again last night and it didn't feature a single bullet crack. Arma 2 has spoiled me with its' immersion and thus, tainted my love of a great film.

*Sobs*

Hollywood very rarely gets it right =P

*Sobs*

I just watched Black Hawk Down last night myself lol. Dug up my many war movies/docos to occupy myself for the next few weeks.