Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

ArmA2: The All New OFFICIAL "where to buy?" Thread.

seriosuly, game is still out of stock all over Sweden

did it sell far above expectations, or did 505 just forget about sending the discs to Scandinavia?

Rexxenexx is it a Got Game Entertainment version that you received?

I bought from NWS as well, it is the Got Game Version.

I'm new to pc gaming and was wondering if all games are released this poorly? I know on 360 when a game is released you can go to the store and buy it. Not only can I not buy it,which I want to badly. No one has heard of it. Even on the publishers site it says the game is backordered. I have friends in England who have the game but are upgrading pc to play it. Mine plays demo fine but can't buy full game in retail store. Apparently July 7th is not release date but just another day of anticipation. p.s. I don't want to download game. I like disk. Thanks for any input.

My guess is that you also cannot buy 360 games until they are in the shops too? In that sense they're identical. You cannot buy it until it's in the shops.

Do most people on pc download? Not a pc versus 360 thing.

Edited by Fishercat
nothing against pc

If you're new to PC Gaming then you should take advantage of some of the things that make it great. Go to http://www.steampowered.com and download Steam. It's a digital distribution portal which as a lot of great features, like friends lists and community options (clans, groups, etc.).

You can purchase ARMA 2 on that and have it downloaded in hours (if you've got a good connection anyway).

The other cool thing is if your computer explodes or something later, you can install Steam on a new computer and download all the games you've already purchased.

As for your original question though - No, usually if a game is released on the 6th (for example), it should be in stores at most by the 7th or 8th.

Wait for the DVD its worth it because digital copies dont offer unlimited installs.

Err yes they do. I've got ARMA downloaded via steam installed on 3 computers in my house so.......

Err yes they do. I've got ARMA downloaded via steam installed on 3 computers in my house so.......

Much easier to install it from a dvd though... You'd have to install steam on every computer and considering the fact that steam is horrible, it isn't a very good option...

Much easier to install it from a dvd though... You'd have to install steam on every computer and considering the fact that steam is horrible, it isn't a very good option...

Steam is horrible? You must never have used Steam because it's great. There's no reason not to use it. It's so convienient, after a reformat or new computer to be able to just download Steam, then let it download all my games and auto patch them for me.

Then I can load up the built in friends list and hop in a game with them.

And after I die in a game that has long respawn times I can load the built-in browser and surf the Web for a bit until I spawn.

Just download and use Steam. It's great.

Steam is horrible? You must never have used Steam because it's great. There's no reason not to use it. It's so convienient, after a reformat or new computer to be able to just download Steam, then let it download all my games and auto patch them for me.

Then I can load up the built in friends list and hop in a game with them.

And after I die in a game that has long respawn times I can load the built-in browser and surf the Web for a bit until I spawn.

Just download and use Steam. It's great.

I use steam too but its not that great. For example, every time a new patch comes out for Company of Heroes you have to re-install the whole F***ing game.

I'll buy off steam when they can offer these:

- Burnable images compatible with non-proprietary software.

- No Steam patch held in escrow in the event Steam goes out of business.

- I can use non-steam patches.

- Price reflects the lower costs of not having packaging, manuals, shipping/Warehouse costs....etc....etc. Remove those from the price. $50+ for a download is not good value

their just pocketing the savings.

- What protections do I get if a game I purchased is pulled from steam for any reason?

List goes on and on and on.

Steam games are nothing more then an over-priced blockbusters rental

Edited by jblackrupert

Thanks for the replies. I'll just wait till dvd. I don't see how a game this complex could be as good with the limitations of a controller. I do love Xbox live for the same reasons someone else stated. i.e. friends and being able to join their games. Maybe I will give online demo a go.:eek: I'll probably get kicked for being a noob........oh well.:butbut:

I'll buy off steam when they can offer these:

- Burnable images compatible with non-proprietary software.

You can make a backup of a game on Steam. Though to reinstall the game it looks like you still use Steam. But so what?

No Steam patch held in escrow in the event Steam goes out of business.

Which doesn't seem to be happening any time soon since Valve (the developer who developed and maintains Steam) is making tons of money with it's successful Half Life, Team Fortress and Left 4 Dead games. Also it's the number 1 source for online distribution, so they're doing fine.

I can use non-steam patches.

Why would this be an issue? Steam auto-patches the game for you. You can disable auto-patching if you want.

Price reflects the lower costs of not having packaging, manuals, shipping/Warehouse costs....etc....etc. Remove those from the price. $50+ for a download is not good value

their just pocketing the savings.

This isn't Valve's fault. Various retailers I think said they would boycott selling a game if it was prices lower on Steam, so publishers keep the price the same across digital and brick and mortar stores. Though every weekend Steam has a sale, where you can buy games for sometimes more than 50% off. I was able to get every Ghost Recon game ever made for a mere $20 a few months ago.

There are also digital version of the manuals, though I admit that it is nice to be able to bring a physical copy into the bathroom sometimes.

What protections do I get if a game I purchased is pulled from steam for any reason?

When has this ever happened? Why would it be?

Hi,

Here we go again with the love hate relationship with steam.:)

There is a dedicated thread on the subject and I can tell you that I had a lot of fun reading it.

Bottom line, if you are to lazy to patch your game yourself or are the careless type who loses or breaks his dvd regularly then steam is for you. Otherwise, there is no advantage what so ever to need someone else every time you reinstall or patch or whatever. Further more, you cant land, exchange or sell your game since it is lock with your steam account.

Personnally, I had never break or lost any cd/dvd game and I like the freedom that the hard copy gives me. No external autorisation in the way.

Last but not the least, it seems that mod loaders will not easily work with steam since your game is not launch by you but by the steam executable. Go to the dedicated thread on steam to see how people are already having fun with a dozen of shortcuts on their desktop... A game like Arma may not be the best candidate for that kind of online manager.

Cheers

Hello,

I bought the game on nexway.com and the downloaded game is in German !! I tried to contact arma2_uk@nexway.com but I got no answer. I sent today another email to arma2_uk@nexway.com but I'm getting a bounce message "delivery faillure"

How can I contact them ??

Tex

Rexxenexx is it a Got Game Entertainment version that you received?

Yes it is.

If you're new to PC Gaming then you should take advantage of some of the things that make it great. Go to http://www.steampowered.com and download Steam. It's a digital distribution portal which as a lot of great features, like friends lists and community options (clans, groups, etc.).

You can purchase ARMA 2 on that and have it downloaded in hours (if you've got a good connection anyway).

The other cool thing is if your computer explodes or something later, you can install Steam on a new computer and download all the games you've already purchased.

As for your original question though - No, usually if a game is released on the 6th (for example), it should be in stores at most by the 7th or 8th.

Steam as a distribution platform is awesome, but the pricing model for Europe is the worst I have ever seen. Let's take Arma 2 as an example

Sweden store price = 329SEK = $41 = €29

Steam price = €48 = $66 = 530SEK

so the game is much more expensive than in stores. the fact that I don't need the disc hardly makes up for the big difference.

and it's not like I can't afford to pay €48, but if I buy these ridiculously priced games on Steam, I just enable the publishers. they see that they can still sell overpriced games, and they will never adjust the price to more normal levels.

something else about Steam. EU laws clearly state that a citizen of EU country A (Sweden) should be able to buy from the store of any other EU Country (say the UK). but Steam users can't buy games from the UK stores, which have lower prices than the rest of Europe. so they are in fact breaking EU laws, but no one seems to care about it.

This isn't the steam discussion thread so please take the steam debate back to the steam thread thanks.

Placebo, i have a question:

are these sites reliable to buy a cdkey?

How SecuRom works with these keys???

Thanks!

Mariano.

Edited by Placebo

if you are in dubai or in the United Arab Emirates you can find it in Carrefour..thats where i got mine from :D