Sign in to follow this  
STALKERGB

WIP British 4 Rifle Soldiers

Looking great! A bit of dirt and wear and tear wouldn't go amiss later in development, (a little too sqeaky clean for my liking), but all-in-all supes!

Looking good mate, can't wait. I understand that this is still in its early phases, however I've got some suggestions for a future release:

- Lose the respirator haversack on the webbing. No infantry types wear them unless they're on a specific CBRN exercise. TARGET-ULTIMATE-AIM-089.jpg

- Jam a sandbag on the top of the back webbing pouches - you'll probably find some photos of this on google. If not, PM me and I'll show you what I mean. :cool:

- British Army Chinstraps have a piece of black leather running between the two bands that are over the actual chin. The default BI ones are based on the American helmet which does not have the piece of leather. UNITED_KINGDOM_MK6_CHINSTRAP_DETAIL.jpg

dppha2nx500a.jpg

-EVERYONE WHO'S ANYONE HAS AN 'ALLY BAND' on their lid like this:

n639806849_1654340_1806.jpg The black band and the cats eyes are a must for every helmet from walt to reg.

- There appear to be small black buttons/press studs down the front of the smock. The issue smock has a zipper with a velcro flap covering it so no buttons except on the pockets with zipped up map pockets on each breast and rank slide on front.

windproof%20smock.jpg

I hope at least one of those has been useful.

@Jackal326, PM sent, check the old inbox :)

@poacher, cheers for the pictures and suggestions, most of the things i will get round to in time, the reason for all the press studs is because i used the NAPA jacket maps for the shading, and like evrything else will end up looking better the longer i spend on it all.

@Electricleash, dirt and wear is all planned, will come soon...ish :)

@Snafu, the DPM holds up pretty well on Utes and Chernarus, obviously the AI doesn't know any better but i have had a hard time spotting my guys at distance (and close up at times :) )

As for the error with the arms it has been fixed... or more avoided, currently my units will only use the ARMA 1 anims for holding a weapon, so on the MK48 my guys will hold it like an M4A1, its not a perfect solution but it will do for now...

Edited by STALKERGB
so much to say...

@poacher A CBRN pounch is not only cable of containing CBRN kit.. Its excelent for things like food, ammo, poncho ect.

Over a period of 3 years i had my mask in the pouch for abt 2 days... the rest of the time i had all kind of goodys in it :P

@poacher A CBRN pounch is not only cable of containing CBRN kit.. Its excelent for things like food, ammo, poncho ect.

Over a period of 3 years i had my mask in the pouch for abt 2 days... the rest of the time i had all kind of goodys in it :P

Tracker or Whisper bar?

Hexi stove (ezbit ftw!), mess tin and the ingredients for an all in stew.

S10 bags were great for all those personal comfort items.

Although with these new rat packs maybe all in stew is off the menu, I wonder if the still do the steak and kidney pud.

Stalkergb good to hear you fixed(or avoided) the arm thing :D

WT

Good progress on these units, nice to see some upcoming British addons :)

Hello,

These units are looking very good, thanks for all the hard work you are putting in. Can't wait to use them in my missions!

Talking of british infantry, what is a typical section these days? Something along the lines of the following?

Section IC - SA80

Rifleman - LMG

Rifleman - UGL

Rifleman - SA80 (Signaller or Medic?)

Section 2IC - SA80

Rifleman - LMG

Rifleman - UGL

Rifleman - SA80 LSW

I believe I heard from someone that the 1st in-command or 2IC may also carry AT (LAW80?) and that someone may be armed with a mortor as well with rounds distibuted between everyone to carry?

I'm not in the army so sorry if I am way off, would be nice to know so we can replicate typical squads correctly in ArmA 2.

While on the subject, what would be typical loadouts for each soldier in the section? For example how many clips and grenades would they all have each?

James

Hello,

These units are looking very good, thanks for all the hard work you are putting in. Can't wait to use them in my missions!

Talking of british infantry, what is a typical section these days? Something along the lines of the following?

Section IC - SA80

Rifleman - LMG

Rifleman - UGL

Rifleman - SA80 (Signaller or Medic?)

Section 2IC - SA80

Rifleman - LMG

Rifleman - UGL

Rifleman - SA80 LSW

I believe I heard from someone that the 1st in-command or 2IC may also carry AT (LAW80?) and that someone may be armed with a mortor as well with rounds distibuted between everyone to carry?

I'm not in the army so sorry if I am way off, would be nice to know so we can replicate typical squads correctly in ArmA 2.

While on the subject, what would be typical loadouts for each soldier in the section? For example how many clips and grenades would they all have each?

James

It's pretty much all mission specific and varies depending on your unit SOPs. Our signaller and Team Medic for instance are both in delta fireteam since charlie fireteam tends to have to do the most running around and we don't normally have an LSW gunner anymore since we've got the LMGs - that said a couple of sections in our guns platoon still use LSWs. Nowadays, we tend to use the ILAW rather than the big old thing as it's more portable there are also other place-holders being used in theatre while the army gets in a proper new system to fulfil that mission - the taliban don't tend to have access to that many tanks :) so it's mainly used to bust a hole in a wall or get someone's head down via a show of force.

I'm my section's 2IC despite being a rifleman as we're short on NCOs, my typical 'loadout' is:

Left ammo pouches:

6 Mags(180 rounds bombed up) + an extra mag on weapon if it's available.

Right ammo pouches:

One grenade.

One Smoke.

I don't use my respirator haversack for anything but my s10 and ancils because it's hard to silence the bastard and its much easier to get a bungee round extra waterbottle/utilty pouches - so I have three of those instead of a ressie pouch. I don't know anyone in my platoon who keeps their haversack on their webbing - it's got an extra strap on it and we'll wear it on that if there's a CBRN threat. Plus more pouches look more ally.

Pouch one: First aid kit or Basha kit/warm kit if my basha's in my daysack/bergen.

Pouch two: Mess/brew kit: 2 mess tins in a hat to stop them making noise - inside that two of my favourite ration pack meals silencing my hexie cooker and tonnes of chocolate/tea.

Pouch three: Water bottle + metal mug + moralibo(haribo).

Pouch four: Should be spare ammo and a torch but usually ends up being either one of those nifty little flasks or a sneaky minibar!

My sword's in it's frog across the top of those pouches since there's no more room on the belt as I'm a scrawny git.

Smock:

Chocolate, one bit of the ration pack, First field dressing, hat, gloves, matches, camouflage material, notebook, model kit, knife, racing spoon, sweets, tabasco - you get the picture.

Daysack:

Radio(if it's a 349 or similar I stick this in a utility/empty water bottle pouch on my webbing. No bugger uses the issue holders!)

Wetproofs.

Sandbag with as much loose/boxed 5.56(usually in stripper clips or bandoliers) as I can still move around with and about 100 rounds extra link for our gunners as they've usually got about 800 rounds on them and most people in our section will be lumped with a bit of extra link to lug around. Pot noodle :-), camelback or similar. Two spare grenades, two spare smoke - one usually coloured.

I hasten to add that's just for exercises, on ops you'd have all sorts of much cooler stuff in the pouches on your osprey and what have you.

Hope this has helped.

-Dave

Edited by poacher

This looks awsome.... i like the 3rd soilder with the leafs on his helmet thats pritty cool.

@jch5pilot, i plan to keep soldier loadouts pretty standard, so like poacher said 6 magazines a frag and a smoke grenade.

@hunterman52, glad you like the guys with the scrim on :)

@Poacher, with regards to your sandbag thing, there will most probably be one on some of the units webbing :)

EDIT: feeling a bit down atm so gonna spend the evening modelling an assault vest...

Edited by STALKERGB

awesome mate, can't wait to see what you come up with.

Do you reckon it's going to be possible for you to do the full on grassy helmet effect rather than the leafy one you've got going at the moment?

20081025_armytraining.jpg

(Just for reference) Here's another image of what looks like a pln hq section of some guards on exercise - check out those mortar magnet whips on their radios!

1011254_f520.jpg

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 PM ----------

And since you're doing an assault vest - here's the latest one that is very popular on exercises at the moment because it's got the pull-tabs like on the webbing rather than the irritating webtex clips that can't be done up with one hand.

range_master_assault_vest_modular_dpm_front.jpg

It's modular so probably not issue but it's mega cool - other people are modifying the standard issue types that webtex sells a lot of to have the pull-tabs on the magazine pouches.

And since you're doing an assault vest - here's the latest one that is very popular on exercises at the moment because it's got the pull-tabs like on the webbing rather than the irritating webtex clips that can't be done up with one hand.

http://www.militarykit.com/images/products_full/range_master_assault_vest_modular_dpm_front.jpg

It's modular so probably not issue but it's mega cool - other people are modifying the standard issue types that webtex sells a lot of to have the pull-tabs on the magazine pouches.

Looks exactly like the issued desert assault vest for wearing over Osprey (except it's in temperate DPM obviously).

osprey1.jpg

Doesn't necessarily mean that the temperate one's issued though; like the temperate version of UBACS isn't on issue. Probably because there were only ever a handful of sets of temperate printed Osprey armour in existence.

To be honest, I don't think I've ever seen pics of anyone actually using the desert one in theater, only at MoD press days: Would sort of suggest that you can get better commercial ones.

Forgot to add: Matt, the webbing's looking good mate; keep it up. Like I said previously, I'm fairly certain that the ArmA 2 skeleton has different properties to the ArmA one and the distortion's either down to the fact that the selections aren't rigged in the right place, or that we now have to include some other elements (possibly in the memory LOD) to get the new inverse kinematics stuff to work. Can't see it getting resolved until BIS release an example skeleton and soldier model that we know are correctly rigged for the game.

Edited by da12thMonkey

cheers for all the help da12thMonkey and poacher, does the newest assault vest you posted pics of still have a similar back to the normal webtex ones?

In relation to the helmets i would love to get the proper grassy effect going, the guys in your pic look hard as nails with the grass on the helmet so its definately something i am going to have a go at.

EDIT: oh and does anyone ever have their assault vest actually zipped up? EDIT AGAIN: Looking at it again they dont zip up do they? just pockets on the inside?

Edited by STALKERGB

http://www.militarykit.com/products/webbing_assault_and_combat_vests/assault_vest_modular.html

Here are pics for the entire DPM temperate assault vest.

EDIT: oh and does anyone ever have their assault vest actually zipped up? EDIT AGAIN: Looking at it again they dont zip up do they? just pockets on the inside?

That's right, there are three clips that buckle up the front (it's becoming trendy to do the top zip up UNDERNEATH the rank slide on the smock) the zipps are simply large map pockets - most models have a universal pistol holder inside the left pocket.

Edited by poacher

right, hello again everyone!

Ok, here is a couple of WIP pics of the Assault Webbing i have been working on, still alot to do to it (mainly relating to the textures), I have gone for the modular style webbing that Poacher and da12thMonkey showed me loads of images for (thanks to them). The new shaders are working on the webbing but as with the colour map this could well be worked on lots more :) One problem i have had is that the scale of the PALS loops are a bit big on the fron although these are buried under pouches so it shouldn't matter too much.

Any suggestions welcome, the main thing i am thinking of changing is the underlying DPM colour on the Assault vest, for now i have the lighter version i used on my old Brit units but i also have the current DPM i am using, just wondered if people think it should be a bit different...

sidewebbritsmall.jpg

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m446/DairyLee/sidewebbrit.jpg larger

backwebbritsmall.jpg

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m446/DairyLee/backwebbrit.jpg larger

frontwebbritsmall.jpg

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m446/DairyLee/frontwebbrit.jpg larger

Sorry bout leaving the crosshair on the last pic lads...

Oh Also i will have to take a break for a couple days (would really like to crack on) but I'm doing photographs for a wedding so will be busy with that instead...

EDIT: Might get round to putting a texture to the NVG clip too.... bout time really...

Anyways, hope everyone likes.

STALKERGB or Matt.

Edited by STALKERGB

Looking really good mate, I hope vcb get these.

Any suggestions welcome, the main thing i am thinking of changing is the underlying DPM colour on the Assault vest, for now i have the lighter version i used on my old Brit units but i also have the current DPM i am using, just wondered if people think it should be a bit different...

Regarding the DPM colour - I'm not sure if it might be worth saturating it a bit it seems a bit 'loud' somehow - if you alter the colour/brightness/saturation to make it blend in with the in-game environment more it will look more natural I think.

If you do decide to put a rank slide on the smock remember that it's becoming trendy to do up the top buckle of the assault vest UNDER the rank slide so the rank is still visible over the buckle - if that makes sense.

I'm also wondering if it's worth putting a cover on the goggles - they look megacool but for practical purposes of cam and concealment a cover might be worn. - just a realism point but if you're going for allyness you're bang on.

Very nice. Yeah, as poacher said, maybe the green on the vest in the third picture looks a tiny bit too bright. But honestly, these pics rock, I'm planning SO many missions. :D

@poacher, yeah i have a couple of variations on the DPM on the vest at the moment so i will have a look at them and see what looks best. Certainly some units have to covers on the goggles but yeah i might put it over all that aren't in use but we will see. Will keep the rank slide thing in mind too :)

@AimPoint, the nomex gloves are only there cause that is what i had in ARMA 1, will most likely change these to leather(?) and cut the fingers of the end of the glove.

EDIT: Right, had a quick "break" from the wedding photos...

The DPM is exactly the same but with a different green in place of what i had got :)

newassaultwebDPMsmall.jpg

Larger

Edited by STALKERGB

All i want is the guns ;)