Sign in to follow this  
STALKERGB

WIP British 4 Rifle Soldiers

Like swift said, it's supposed to prevent cock-ups like this:

dsc02381u.th.jpg

I've been told the LMG version of ACOG has a slightly different graticule that it indicates the correct fall of shot for the LMG instead of the SA80, hence you wouldn't want to get the sights mixed up.

Dunno about the whole DMR role of the LSW: Issuing it as a DMR is one thing, training blokes to use it as a DMR is another.

And yes mate the LMG sight picture is different.

The LSW is now meant to be a marksmans weapon but it still gets thrown at the crow. They need to get rid of the outrigger and bring the bi-pod back to the handgaurd plus replace the optics to make it even semi viable in my oppinion, to get the most use out of it it'd need to be bumped up to 7.62.

When you've looked at all that it'd be cheaper just to buy a new DMR off the shelf, it's a stupid idea to make the LSW into such but AOSP has been ammended and the burst shoots reduced and replaced with prone posistion 600m shoots for the LSW AWA.

Da12th - get it sorted you Civil servent type!

Hello everyone, with regards to all this new kit nonsense :) Does anyone know the name of the Body Armour in the pictures below? I asked the MoD and they called it Goshawk but i have been unable to really find anything on it.

82183607.jpg

15080911.jpg

33665398eh3.jpg

Cheers for any help :)

yeah it does look pretty similar to that, and it does fit the osprey plates so it could be Blackhawk Armour. Cheers Lunatic :)

It is indeed made by Blackhawk.

I believe the MoD has stopped issuing it it now because they don't think it offers enough protection on its own. AFAIK blokes were told to start wearing it over CBA fillers quite soon after it was issued.

I'll get you a better pic of it in a sec.

Front:

uk0007.jpg

Back (bigger pic):

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/5198/pouji.jpg

Edited by da12thMonkey

@da12thMonkey, cheers for those pics, do only specific units wear these? Most of the pics i have seen seem to be PARA units.

3 Para were trialling it on Herrick 8.

Like I said, I think the MoD has stopped issuing it, so you're unlikely to see it anywhere but on an airsofter now.

Da12th - Yes mate Brigade filtered down that the BH Plate Carrier wasn't to be worn without ECBA on underneath then someone got bored and said Osprey only - this was on Herrick 8.

Stalker, for your woodland units I really wouldn't bother with Osprey at all. Let's say in a mega ideal world every Infanteer gets this new Assault Osprey and then get involved in a war in Europe - We would wear our Combat Jackets over the top and have Webbing or an Assault Vest on. We train in webbing and vests in the UK, we aren't a big fan of the whole Molle pouches on your plate carrier thing it's just in the Desert we obviously don't wear smocks that much and even if we wanted to the normal issue Osprey wouldn't allow it. You'd simply be better off putting a combat jacket on your units and maybe bulking their body out a little to give the impression of armour being worn under the smock.

---------- Post added at 07:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 PM ----------

For what it's worth I thought the BH Plate carrier was booming, I could wear my belt kit with it for one. Osprey is gash for anything other than stag and vehicle crews.

Isn't the only reason Lt Wales is wearing one is because hes a CVR(T) commander? Other than trying to look 'ard.

Isn't the only reason Lt Wales is wearing one is because hes a CVR(T) commander? Other than trying to look 'ard.

My bold - You pinged it right there.

for your woodland units I really wouldn't bother with Osprey at all

Yeah i only really left it on the outside so it meant less work for me to do for both the desert and temperate units. Might as well get round to the guys just wearing smocks now though. Do you think it would be worth me adding the new Mk7 helmets or stick with what i have got for now?

@trickster1982, yeah there will be the good old GPMG :)

EDIT: something more like that Jonny? Just something i did ten minutes before going back to college so its by no means final or perfect :) hood is courtesy of ardvarkdb (permissions granted)

newtemperate.jpg

Edited by STALKERGB
piccy pic pic!

Do you think it would be worth me adding the new Mk7 helmets or stick with what i have got for now?

That's up to you really mate. The Mk.7 and Osprey Assault are only ever likely to be worn in Afghanistan, so if you do them it'd only be 'realistic' to stick them on the desert half of the units you make. That said, it will be the standard kit for infantry at the front line for the next year or two and if ArmA's anything to go by, a lot of people will want to be making Afghanistan scenarios for ArmA 2 in the next year or so.

Any reasonable person won't mind playing 'historic' Afghanistan missions with units sporting Mk.6a and Osprey though, and wouldn't expect you to keep up with the very latest gear, especially when you know you'd have to do it all again in a year or two when PECOC goes through main gate.

You did say though that you were considering making some counter-terrorism units right? In which case, making the Mk.7 might be more viable, since it's basically a re-coloured AC900 SFCT helmet with very slight modifications to the hight of the brow and neck lines, so you'd pretty much have to model the Mk.7 for your CT units.

My suggestion would be to do the Mk.6a-Osprey combo, then make CT blokes, then adapt the AC900 from them for a later version of your infantry if anybody whinges about them being 'outdated'.

cheers da12thMonkey, think i'm gonna go with the Mk.6a/osprey combo on the desert guys like you said and yeah when i get round to doing CT units i can sort out the Mk.7. Do you think that the best course of action for the temperate units would be to have the smock on top for my models so that no body armour is visible?

right better go to college :)

Edited by STALKERGB
going to college

That's up to you really mate. The Mk.7 and Osprey Assault are only ever likely to be worn in Afghanistan, so if you do them it'd only be 'realistic' to stick them on the desert half of the units you make. That said, it will be the standard kit for infantry at the front line for the next year or two and if ArmA's anything to go by, a lot of people will want to be making Afghanistan scenarios for ArmA 2 in the next year or so.

Any reasonable person won't mind playing 'historic' Afghanistan missions with units sporting Mk.6a and Osprey though, and wouldn't expect you to keep up with the very latest gear, especially when you know you'd have to do it all again in a year or two when PECOC goes through main gate.

You did say though that you were considering making some counter-terrorism units right? In which case, making the Mk.7 might be more viable, since it's basically a re-coloured AC900 SFCT helmet with very slight modifications to the hight of the brow and neck lines, so you'd pretty much have to model the Mk.7 for your CT units.

My suggestion would be to do the Mk.6a-Osprey combo, then make CT blokes, then adapt the AC900 from them for a later version of your infantry if anybody whinges about them being 'outdated'.

Ahahahaha! C'mon Da12th that's being a LITTLE optimistic mate!

@Stalker, yes, for temperate enviroments go smocks over body armour, with the hoods though we generally roll them up! I'd keel over and die without being able to get to my Brecon pockets on my smock!

I know; but I don't work in directly for the MoD and have almost no involvement with the DPA least of all Defence Clothing IPT (if it hasn't got wheels or tracks it's none of my business), so I can get away with quoting the in service dates that DCIPT put out without being called a c**t when the likes of you are still waiting for them 5 years down the line.

Besides, the published date from DC-IPT is 'by 2011' which suggests they reckon it'll be out NEXT year: So I am displaying some pessimism. ;)

Know of anyone who'd tried to put the newer generations of body armour on under a smock? I remember seeing blokes trying it with Osprey during pre-deployment training (Kush Dragon?) last winter when I was down Andover; didn't look good. I suppose the closer fit of Osp-Assault and the PECOC will fare better.

I know; but I don't work in directly for the MoD and have almost no involvement with the DPA least of all Defence Clothing IPT (if it hasn't got wheels or tracks it's none of my business), so I can get away with quoting the in service dates that DCIPT put out without being called a c**t when the likes of you are still waiting for them 5 years down the line.

Besides, the published date from DC-IPT is 'by 2011' which suggests they reckon it'll be out NEXT year: So I am displaying some pessimism. ;)

Know of anyone who'd tried to put the newer generations of body armour on under a smock? I remember seeing blokes trying it with Osprey during pre-deployment training (Kush Dragon?) last winter when I was down Andover; didn't look good. I suppose the closer fit of Osp-Assault and the PECOC will fare better.

Osprey was near impossible to do, Assault Osprey I haven't seen up close but by the looks it seems a similar cut to PECOC which I have seen on under a smock and doesn't look too different from wearing CBA.

Really looking forward to using Brits, will fit in with a development project I am working on again

hello everyone! hopefully i can get a few pretty piccys up later but in the meantime does anyone know what this on the PLCE is? Only really noticed it today and haven't planned on modelling it but if it is important I will obviously add it. Thanks :)

Oh and the DPM seems to be slightly different on the webbing, is it just an older DPM (like 84 pattern) or something completely different?

On the theme of progress I have been getting the new ARMA 2 shaders working on my revised Temperate model, seems to be going ok for now :)

Untitled.jpg

Edited by STALKERGB

though i cant answer your question (sorry)...I do wanna say your models are great and i hope they are coming along...u should speak with the DEVs of ACE and see if they could feature ur British soldiers on ACE2

It kinda looks like the nbc kit holder altho I never seen anyone use it for that was usually a poncho/basha and assorted stuff thrown in.

It's definitely not important piece too add tho.

Right as promised a couple pics of the work I have been doing, the marksman model in the pictures has the new shaders working (i think) and there are some missing textures (namely the NVG clip) but just wanted to give everyone an idea of where i am going with the units.

I have started modelling PLCE but it wasn't really in a state to include in these pictures but the final models will include it.

Hope everyone likes

Oh and i haven't gotten rid of the Osprey Body Armour, it will just be on the desert units after some suggestions by a couple of people :)

small3.jpg

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m446/DairyLee/britnew3.jpg larger

small2.jpg

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m446/DairyLee/britnew.jpg larger

small.jpg

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m446/DairyLee/britnew2.jpg larger

comments very welcome :)

STALKERGB

Yeah, the thing above the pooches looks like an NBC roll. Again, don't bother with it. As for the colour of the webbing, PLCE fades with use due to dirt/dust/sand and being scrubbed when it's de-serviced after the field.

With the jackets, they'd look better not zipped all the way to the top (it allows for ventilation and you can throw empty mags down there, I realise that's not a factor in ArmA II, but still.)

Also, Stalker, check your PMs mate.

Edited by Redders