Sign in to follow this  
STALKERGB

WIP British 4 Rifle Soldiers

Your units were some of the best I seen for Arma 1, Im a brit, so maybe im biast, but really they were superb. Im looking forward to your units coming to Arma 2. Be great also to see the snatch landrovers and the other UK vehicals.

Huzzah for procurement, any info on that one or have a few suits got to receive their cash bonus before it is even drawn up?

I know abit, not really for the public domain though as it suggests the MoDs ran by penny pinching arseholes - couldn't have people thinking that now!

They did a roadshow to my unit and we got to see some of the new kit coming, it's pretty slick but it's got to get through the MOD bean counters now, how much of it that will survive at the end is anyones guess! However this new Assault Osprey does look quite similar to the new set we're expecting in a few years,

Does it still have a Kevlar insert, or is it purely a plate carrier this time around Jonny?

Does it still have a Kevlar insert, or is it purely a plate carrier this time around Jonny?

Still has soft armour inserts aswell, still heavy but better designed to allow a little more dexterity.

WATCH OUT! THAT RUSKIE HAS A CAN OF HAIRSPRAY! RUN!

Funniest broken weapon ever made that L85 is.

Though I think they fixed that with the L85A2 so unfortunately we can't laugh that the Brits got beat in battle because of a crafty Paki with a can of Aqua Net.

Edited by Linelor

WATCH OUT! THAT RUSKIE HAS A CAN OF HAIRSPRAY! RUN!

Funniest broken weapon ever made that L85 is.

Though I think they fixed that with the L85A2 so unfortunately we can't laugh that the Brits got beat in battle because of a crafty Paki with a can of Aqua Net.

Sigh... The L85 was never broken, many of the queens enemies met a sh!tty death at the end of it. It had problems, but so has US weapon systems which you also made better - it's called progression.

The A1 jammed - the only people who complained about it were mongs who couldn't clean and maintain it properly

Cold Weather - Yes, it did have a problem in extreme cold ie Norway

Cocking Handle - the old Cocking handle because of its shape could (extremely rarely) force an ejected case back into the breach, the new cocking handle fixes this with its shape that is designed to 'deflect' the casings if they come into contact with it.

The A2 is an improvement yes, but the A1 was nowhere near as bad as it the press made it out to be. The only ones who moaned about it were people that have very little/no experience with the weapon and REMFs who couldn't look after it properly.

The A2 is now made more idiot proof and brought into the 21st Century with it's upgrade. Many argue it's heavy, I say stop being a girl, many argue the SUSAT is outdated, I agree, hence the new ACOG upgrade. Tell me this, how did the M16A2 hold up in 2003?

Sigh... The L85 was never broken, many of the queens enemies met a sh!tty death at the end of it. It had problems, but so has US weapon systems which you also made better - it's called progression.

The A1 jammed - the only people who complained about it were mongs who couldn't clean and maintain it properly

Cold Weather - Yes, it did have a problem in extreme cold ie Norway

Cocking Handle - the old Cocking handle because of its shape could (extremely rarely) force an ejected case back into the breach, the new cocking handle fixes this with its shape that is designed to 'deflect' the casings if they come into contact with it.

The A2 is an improvement yes, but the A1 was nowhere near as bad as it the press made it out to be. The only ones who moaned about it were people that have very little/no experience with the weapon and REMFs who couldn't look after it properly.

The A2 is now made more idiot proof and brought into the 21st Century with it's upgrade. Many argue it's heavy, I say stop being a girl, many argue the SUSAT is outdated, I agree, hence the new ACOG upgrade. Tell me this, how did the M16A2 hold up in 2003?

It held up well enough far as I know, just have to maintain it properly. I went in in 2005 so I had an M16A4 that was a fucking dream of a weapon overall. Some of the older Brits I encountered in Iraq still worried about the mag randomly dropping out of the rifle while they ran which was another wonderful flaw of the A1. It really isn't that great of a rifle, but since it is what the Brits decided to go with (God help them since they have all those wonderful, and cheaper, H&K rifles and things over there in Europe) I fully support this modding endeavor.

Though just as a last shot at it, I seriously got to laugh at the Brits for talking so much shit about the M16 back in the day then designing a rifle themselves that was less reliable and a full kg or so heavier and meanwhile the H&K guys are offering to make them a cheaper and better rifle and they want the old rifles fixed instead. In the end, they get a mediocre rifle for a lot more than it would have cost them to get an exceptional rifle from H&K.

Edited by Linelor

It held up well enough far as I know, just have to maintain it properly. I went in in 2005 so I had an M16A4 that was a fucking dream of a weapon overall. Some of the older Brits I encountered in Iraq still worried about the mag randomly dropping out of the rifle while they ran which was another wonderful flaw of the A1. It really isn't that great of a rifle, but since it is what the Brits decided to go with (God help them since they have all those wonderful, and cheaper, H&K rifles and things over there in Europe) I fully support this modding endeavor.

The mag dropping off thing was a massive problem when the weapon first rolled out to us, it didn't have the guard thats there now to prevent it being pressed down however it was fixed within a couple of years by modding the A1, it still remained the A1 though as this was the only modification carried out at the time.

I agree at the time we procured the A1 there was better on the market, however the A2 -especially with the new sights and handguards is an impressive weapon to operate with and is up there with the rest of the worlds top Infantry rifles.

I've worked with many American soldiers both on Operations and in Training and they've all said its heavy but once they get on the ranges with it notice improvements with their shooting (with SUSAT fitted). Similarly I've used the M16A2/4 and the M4A1 and found both weapons fine, no better or worse than what I'm used to with the SA80. I do prefer the overall compactness of the SA80 over the M16 though, but that's just because it's what I'm used to.

When the A2 was born it was trialled alongside Steyr, G36 and M16s aswell as a few others and it was found to be everybit as reliable as they were - but with H&K upgrading it you'd expect it to be.

Looking forward to this, it will go great with the Avagini Map

Looking forward to this, it will go great with the Avagini Map

Woodland camo in a desert setting. Genius! :D

Looking good, damn its encouraging to see how quickly mods are being ported across to Arma2. Can't wait to thrash these out in the editor with some NATO style missions.

Also I find it hilarious that at the end of the day both Britain & the US have to turn to the Germans to make their infantry rifles reliable. :D

H&K FTW!

as a ex member of The Duke of Wellington's Regiment "now know as The 3rd Battalion the Yorkshire Regiment (Duke of Wellington's). i love the SA 80 and the LSW which was also very good, and i got to say the law 80 was a bitch but nice

and i look forward to any british kits that comes out for Arma 2

Edited by Lightninguk

The new osprey with those overhanging shoulder pieces looks really untidy. On the side of the ACOG it says IW / LSW, I was under the impression that the L86 was going to fill some kind of DMR role in the future?

s7000394.th.jpg

s7000392.th.jpg

s7000395.th.jpg

---------- Post added at 10:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 PM ----------

I think its to ensure the LMG ACOG's do not get confused with the LSW/SA80 sights, but thats just a hunch as if you see the LMG posted above the site stand is facing the wrong way to facilitate for the sight

No more ladder sight for the UGL then? Oh, was I right about the L86 taking a DMR role or is that just an optional sight?

On the side of the ACOG it says IW / LSW, I was under the impression that the L86 was going to fill some kind of DMR role in the future?

Like swift said, it's supposed to prevent cock-ups like this:

dsc02381u.th.jpg

I've been told the LMG version of ACOG has a slightly different graticule that it indicates the correct fall of shot for the LMG instead of the SA80, hence you wouldn't want to get the sights mixed up.

Dunno about the whole DMR role of the LSW: Issuing it as a DMR is one thing, training blokes to use it as a DMR is another.

Edited by da12thMonkey

No more ladder sight for the UGL then? Oh, was I right about the L86 taking a DMR role or is that just an optional sight?

acording to the army, the new UGL sight gives a better success rate of hitting the target in comparison to the old sight (60%)

STALKER, I'm just curious, I've put my ACU units into ArmA2 and their arms look a wee bit strange. Anything on your end? Or is it my model?

Your work looks great Stalker, looking forward to seeing UK units in Arma2!

@Binkowski, yeah i think everyone is getting the arm problem, do you only get it on weapons using new animations? (like the Mk48 or M40/24). Nothing we can do AFAIK until there are some example models.

@Broomy, Yeah i saw the new 3-colour DPM for desert use, that won't be too much of a problem for me as i am focussing on the temperate camo guys first as ARMA 2 doesn't have any desert areas/maps (yet).

I do feel like I am digging a bigger hole every time i work on my units as the British kit seems to have so many updates in the works, can't keep up with these SA80's and all the fancy stuff on them, will get round to it eventually though i suppose :)

Will post some WIP soon, just been away from my normal comp for a bit and have been playing ARMA 2 quite a bit.

I do feel like I am digging a bigger hole every time i work on my units as the British kit seems to have so many updates in the works, can't keep up

Tell us about it!!! :cool:

Swift - you been touching yourself over kit p0rn again you hermer :D

Swift - you been touching yourself over kit p0rn again you hermer :D

some-ones got to