Sign in to follow this  
STALKERGB

WIP British 4 Rifle Soldiers

The velcro panel on the pockets is a bit too small relative to the overall size of the pocket:

472i.th.jpg

461im.th.jpg

Also, all badges are meant to be sown onto the velcro blanking plate that comes with the PCS uniform, including the Union Flags (as shown above). So if you're doing the bare velcro, no need to put any TRFs or formation badges on them.

There might be a possible exception with shoulder titles (RM Cdo., Army Cdo., RAF Regt. etc) and wings being sown further up the arm but I've not seen Commandos or Airborne wearing the uniform yet.

Looking good Stalker, and good points sabre, what's the dude in your avatar?

@Sabre, yeah cheers for the advice, I know that there are a few things wrong with the pattern and I find it hard to pin point them so it's good getting other people's views as to what needs changing :)

I had a quick go at trying to sort it before my eyes went weird (not that my attempt was all that successful), basically resized the pattern and changed the black (or dark brown I guess) part of the pattern for a more multicam-style design just to see what it looks like, in reality though it seems more a mix of DPM-esqe shapes and the "Bird dropping" shape in the MC pattern. Do you think the colour balance looks any better now it's been resized?

The more I try and do MTP the more I want to bash my head against the wall lol! Will get there in the end though...

mtpagains.jpg

Larger

Looking at it, it seems closer to this than before...

@da12th, I did wonder if the Velcro was too small, will sort that out ASAP, are the blanking plates going to be worn at all times when in the field? I hadn't actually noticed they were using blanking plates, on first glance thought there just wasn't any Velcro! Oh and will the Union Flag only be on the left arm blanking plate?

Cheers for all the help guys :)

Edited by STALKERGB

I can't confes to being an expert - or even an amateur - when it comes to the new kit, but from the photos I've seen aren't your helmets a little too tall? I was under the impression that the curve of the helmet was much shallower nowadays?

I can't confes to being an expert - or even an amateur - when it comes to the new kit, but from the photos I've seen aren't your helmets a little too tall? I was under the impression that the curve of the helmet was much shallower nowadays?

Well it used to be more curved on my model and I have reduced how severe it is, but I do sort of agree, it depends what angle I look at it from, sometimes it seems ok other times it looks too much!

Same goes for pictures I see of it, sometimes quite tall and curved:

1696ee61.jpg

And sometimes far less:

ab9d9a56.jpg

i took a comparison shot with the BIS version in game and mine is marginally more curved and tall so I might change it.

EDIT: I don't think my screen resolution helps to be honest!

The velcro panel on the pockets is a bit too small relative to the overall size of the pocket:

Also, all badges are meant to be sown onto the velcro blanking plate that comes with the PCS uniform, including the Union Flags (as shown above). So if you're doing the bare velcro, no need to put any TRFs or formation badges on them.

There might be a possible exception with shoulder titles (RM Cdo., Army Cdo., RAF Regt. etc) and wings being sown further up the arm but I've not seen Commandos or Airborne wearing the uniform yet.

From what ive seen of the new uniform in pics from serving mates the RAF Regiment just velcro the mudguards and TRF on. So if you were to make it a hidden selection you'd cover every option i think.

And from the pics i've seen recently and having measured my RAF Regiment mudguards the velcro is 5"x4". The standard 'mudguard' is exactly 5" at its widest.

Hope that helps.

Rock

EDIT:

@Matt

These might help with scaling:

Pic 1 (ok not MTP or PCS but the panel will logically be same/similar size).

Pic 2 (Mudguard, TRF and Rank Slide)

Edited by RKSL-Rock

are the blanking plates going to be worn at all times when in the field?

I've heard rumblings that the blanking plates are supposed to be removed when out on the ground so that blokes aren't covered in big bright colourful badges, then stuck back on when in any sort of base. God knows how it will turn out though given that some units love their TRFs (or DZ Flashes), others hate them, and there are always people in senior ranks who'll argue one way or the other, based on how they think it should look - irrespective of the hard work of the clothing IPT in making the uniform as functional as possible.

Wait and see how it looks on Herrick XV would be my advice.

Oh and will the Union Flag only be on the left arm blanking plate?

IIRC the Union Flags have always been just the one on the left arm, as far back as when they were only worn on peacekeeping deployments. They were certainly that way after they standardized the little ones on CS95 uniforms, and from what I've seen of PCS they remain that way.

@Rock: It's mostly Loggies, Sappers and Scaleybacks that I've seen in the new uniform (such is the company I keep these days), so tah for correcting me.

@Rock: It's mostly Loggies, Sappers and Scaleybacks that I've seen in the new uniform (such is the company I keep these days), so tah for correcting me.

I hope you wash your hands afterwards. Scaleys carry all sorts of nasty things.

I've not seen any PCS myself. My current location isnt conducive to mixing with muddy types. But chatting to a few of the old lads via the interweb about recent kit changes would suggest they are all heading towards velcro in a big way :)

During my last sojourn to Bury-St-Eds there was a great discussion about sticky-back vs sew-on velcro. Im not sure of the conclusion - a large group of hairy arsed Apes discussing sewing techniques whilst drinking made me uncomfortable and i had to leave - but I'd suggest the best/easiest compromise would be to go with the hidden selection and damn the placement.

I suspect you will see many variations until the uniform regs catch up properly with the actual uniforms themselves.

As per usual, incredible work Stalker :) Even as WIPs they look great!

One day soon I'll have a go at my own units, but at the moment we are training for a campaign I shall make on the Clafghan map when its released, and these MTP units will be perfect for it :D

Stellar work mate, keep it up.

Hey stalker

Just a quick question(sorry its been asked already) will the 4 rifles be a standalone unit only or could they be used as a replacement pack for the BIS BAF units. Both the 4 rifles and the SAS units look immense

DF

@RKSL, thanks for the sizes, should help a great deal!

@DarkFenix100, these will be standalone but I'd imagine as with the current version of my 3 Rifles they will have a replacement pack made for them :)

Anyway, very little update, have done an incredibly small edit to the MTP texture, have been slowly adding back in DPM shapes for the dark brown/black, still probably needs a bit more but here is a picture all the same:

rifnews.jpg

Larger

Gonna take a look at the helmet too, although it's exaggerated in the pic above (because of the camera zoom) as was pointed out by Rabidstoat it is probably a bit tall/rounded on top.

Cheers,

Matt

Edited by STALKERGB

looks good dude. The MTP on the shoulder pocket looks really small. Is it just a particular swatch of the pattern?

looks good dude. The MTP on the shoulder pocket looks really small. Is it just a particular swatch of the pattern?

Ah yeah that will be (mainly) the blanking plate on top of the velcro on the arm pocket' date=' it's small because all I did when I applied the swatch I'd drawn was scale it to the same as the rest of the model, can make that bigger when it comes to it though :)

EDIT: Just to show you the other arm pocket:

[img']http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m446/DairyLee/otherarms.jpg[/img]

Larger

Edited by STALKERGB

Matt, any updates fella?

I guess he will update the topic when he has some updates, thats the normal thing on here.

Showing some London love for the best UK skins out there.