Sign in to follow this  
max power

WIP: Stuff you are working on 2!

sneakymcfox, can you post a wireframe view please.

UV mapping done, did some basic Ambient Occlusion. And got it in game :)

m200a.th.jpg

scopem200.th.jpg

And don't expect to sue it on ranges of 2286 meters in ArmA 2 because no matter what view distance soldiers simply dissapear somewhere around 1000 meters :mad:

Edited by USSRsniper

@MehMan there you go. (needs a lot of simplifying, to many polygons at the moment i pressume.)

Untitled-3.png

Untitled0.png

UV mapping done, did some basic Ambient Occlusion. And got it in game :)

m200a.th.jpg

scopem200.th.jpg

And don't expect to sue it on ranges of 2286 meters in ArmA 2 because no matter what view distance soldiers simply dissapear somewhere around 1000 meters :mad:

Wow, mate, incredible model, very nice. Did you also make the sillencer? You need to set the distance for 2200 meters around the 8000-10000 meter mark. Can you show some more pics/vid?

You have the model also with the sillencer?

I'll be forever greatful, looks awsome!

Edited by p75

@MehMan there you go. (needs a lot of simplifying, to many polygons at the moment i pressume.)

Why so much polys at the flat surfaces? :) Why do you not made a more simple mesh in the begin?

@USSRsniper: Looks good, from what we can see on that small pic (why do people post that small wip pics? I know, 19th 99kb limite, but feel free to post some direct link of higher resolution pics please).

Same for sneakymcfox. How are we supposed to help (if you want...in the end this was the purpose of this topic :) ).

Can you post some wire pics of the cheytac and a poly/tris-count? ...and don't be afraid, i'm sure it is a good build...

And don't expect to use it on ranges of 2286 meters in ArmA 2 because no matter what view distance soldiers simply dissapear somewhere around 1000 meters

Hm, i thought we used to have something like objectDrawDistance next to sceneComplexity and viewDistance.

Well, on the other hand you need a high-poly model to make good shaders or w/e (I'm not modeler, so don't remember if it's shaders or normal-maps :P ), so starting very detailed ain't wasted :)

@USSRsniper: Looks good, from what we can see on that small pic (why do people post that small wip pics? I know, 19th 99kb limite, but feel free to post some direct link of higher resolution pics please).

Same for sneakymcfox. How are we supposed to help (if you want...in the end this was the purpose of this topic :) ).

Can you post some wire pics of the cheytac and a poly/tris-count? ...and don't be afraid, i'm sure it is a good build...

Hm, i thought we used to have something like objectDrawDistance next to sceneComplexity and viewDistance.

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/4323/mesh.jpg

12k polygons when triangulated. If i remember correctly ArmA 2 triangulates models anyway?

Edited by USSRsniper

Thanks for posting.

No real comment on the model accuraty (depends on what pics you have..i have like two versions...not sure witch is what version). The only shared mistaken i see might be the thinkness of the 'clip' just infront of the receiver group and in between the front grip. At least in my pics it is not a plate but a box. But nickpicking ;).

As for the model build. Overall very good job. Poly/tris-count is good for the level of detail. Just might want to consider making an optimized RIS as those are poly-eaters :). But i wouldn't blame you if you didn't.

*Deletes my Cheytac folder ;).

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/4323/mesh.jpg

12k polygons when triangulated. If i remember correctly ArmA 2 triangulates models anyway?

I like it, but without seeing exactly what's going on with the geo, it looks like it could be optimized further. For instance, that pole in the middle of the plate that supports the tripod leg appears to serve no purpose from what I can see by that pic.

Also, in my humble opinion, a lot of the round structures of your model are excessively detailed. For instane, the tripod legs, the rear monopod leg, the rods for the extendable stock, and the wavy bit beneath the barrel look to me like they would not lose much if you were to downmodel them. You could then spend some polies on bevelling some of those sharp edges perhaps and rock the realistic edge lighting for a similar poly count...

All in all, however, it seems like a very clean model Good work.

Finishing up modelling work on my F-117A Nighthawk which I am hoping is going to be my first attempt at getting a working vehicle into the ARMA2 world. Just some quick clays for now. Currently sitting at 2911 polys. Still need to get the cockpit done, landing gear and bomb-bay and detailing, but its getting there slowly. Will start a WIP thread in the Addon discussion forum when I have it textured and ready to bring into 02. Do realize it's not the most "practical" aircraft for ARMA2 lol but I have been meaning to get this model finished for a few months now so am using this as my incentive to get it done.

1_th-1.jpg 2_th-1.jpg

3_th-1.jpg 4_th.jpg

For instance, that pole in the middle of the plate that supports the tripod leg appears to serve no purpose from what I can see by that pic.

It does have purpose, the plates that hold the bipod are attached to the ring which can be attached to the barrel. The bottom of this ring has that pole where the screw goes in. Also the round parts are 18 sided cylinders.

wire2u.th.jpg

Edited by USSRsniper

Yes, but why are you defining where the underlying corner is on the top plate? It looks like you have an edgeloop of seperation there. The top plate I think could do with having no vertices in the outer most face.

Having the bipod legs and stuff with 18 sides is excessive, in my opinion. You see you have an edge density there that is much, much greater than elsewhere on the model. After a certain point, the 'roundness' of 3d cylinders is only detectable by the viewer if you see the 'corner' of the cap. Also, 18 doesn't divide by powers of 2 very well, so in the next LOD you're going to have 9 sided or whatever cylinders... then what? Well, you'll have to build new cylinders and transfer the uvs or reunwrap them.

Yes, but why are you defining where the underlying corner is on the top plate? It looks like you have an edgeloop of seperation there. The top plate I think could do with having no vertices in the outer most face.

Having the bipod legs and stuff with 18 sides is excessive, in my opinion. You see you have an edge density there that is much, much greater than elsewhere on the model. After a certain point, the 'roundness' of 3d cylinders is only detectable by the viewer if you see the 'corner' of the cap. Also, 18 doesn't divide by powers of 2 very well, so in the next LOD you're going to have 9 sided or whatever cylinders... then what? Well, you'll have to build new cylinders and transfer the uvs or reunwrap them.

Well it's fine, since I always make LODs manually :)

It does have purpose, the plates that hold the bipod are attached to the ring which can be attached to the barrel. The bottom of this ring has that pole where the screw goes in. Also the round parts are 18 sided cylinders.

Great looking model! Have really liked the Cheytac since seeing the film Shooter...

:bounce3:

Fortran, nice to see you working on Arma II. Great work with the F-117, looks great.

I'll be posting some progress on my F-22 Raptor either tonight or tomorrow. It's sat on the back burner forever, but it's getting their. The fuselage, wings, tails, etc are complete. It's now just adding the details such as the weapons bays, cockpit, nozzles, gear, and so on. Should be done in the next few days, then another few to texture it. Although, I have no idea how long it's going to take to get it in game. I'm waiting on a tutorial from RKSL-Rock so I know what I'm up against.

I haven't seen anything regarding an F-22 Raptor here in the forums, so if anyone is working on one, please let me know so I can move on to the next model on my list.

Also, I have a nice Los Angeles Class USS Dallas modeled. Does anyone know if subs will work in Arma II?

tac50wip1.jpg

Scubaman/Dasquade colaboration. Macmillan TAC50. Our turn to show some sniper gear :)

(WIP of course)

Subs working in Arma 2?

Yes, they work. Try porting GNATs submarines to arma II. The only thing you have to do is to change the crew names in the config so they no longer point to "soldierWB". Try "USMC_soldier" for example.

They work very well, they even dive when they detect an enemy ship or even when you set a waypoint with a "combat" or "stealth" paramether

wicked stealth fighter fortran! :D

can't wait to try it out someday :)

What load outs you are gonna have?

Lgb's and mavericks or stingers and lgb's ect?

will it have a cannon?

scubaman3D I'm drooling all over my table. Looks great.