Sign in to follow this  
max power

WIP: Stuff you are working on 2!

The domination of any unit is dictated by the mission maker. It is not necessary to request people to 'make it fair'. If you have an issue with what addons are being made and you are an addon maker, make the stuff yourself. If you do not wish to, there is an addon request thread, full stop. This is a WIP thread not a 'zomgzorz it would be cool if...' thread, or a 'I will likely make something in the distant future' blowing smoke up our asses thread.

Regarding your mesh, showing the mesh-flow without the mesh-smooth iteration would be good if you want any comments on it.

Edited by Max Power

IrishDeviant, that looks amazing! Very clean model, you are truly a professional. :D And yes I agree with you that both sides should be balanced but like Max Power said, the player is free to choose whether to do a balanced battle or not.

Anyway since IrishDeviant is new to the community his mistake is understandable so I don’t see the reason for such a harsh reply. There are dozens of other users who are reading these forums for years and still post addon requests in the wrong threads.

With this in mind, I would like to ask the Addon Community to begin work on OpFor aircraft to compete against these USAF titans. Otherwise, the battlefield with become largely uneven. Especially when I complete my B-2B Spirit of Saint Louis. (can we say carpet bombing?)

[/img]

Interestingly in wargames over the USA, eurofighter Typhoons have been fighting Raptors and are not being utterly destroyed like they should do. Typhoon is only a generation 4 whereas a raptor is a generation 5. The F-22s can be shot down by these non stealth planes as it is not as impossible as programs such as Weaponology make out - the typhoon even has a radar signature of less than 1 metre which is pretty good for an aircraft designed for dogfighting instead of stealth!

Interestingly in wargames over the USA, eurofighter Typhoons have been fighting Raptors and are not being utterly destroyed like they should do. Typhoon is only a generation 4 whereas a raptor is a generation 5. The F-22s can be shot down by these non stealth planes as it is not as impossible as programs such as Weaponology make out - the typhoon even has a radar signature of less than 1 metre which is pretty good for an aircraft designed for dogfighting instead of stealth!

So, someone has finally brought up the 100 Million Dollar Question. How does a Eurofighter Typhoon (or an F/A-18 for that matter) shoot down a Raptor in a simulated dog fight. Well, there are a few possibilities, and probably a combination of all of them. First, the Raptor is truly the most advanced aircraft ever built... But, that doesn't make it invincible like the USAF would lead you to believe. Second, human error. The Raptor is useless without a person in the cockpit, and is only as good as the pilot. Third, simulation software. The software used during simulated dogfighting is tied directly into the aircraft's weapons system, but still makes "judgment calls" as to what is a hit and what isn't. And, finally, don't forget that the Eurofighter and the Super Hornet are both incredible aircraft. Fortunately, the US isn't at war with any European countries that use the Eurofighter. Russian aircraft are the only real concern. Now, typically speaking, Russian aircraft have fairly poor avionics and weapon systems. At least compared to US and British systems. (they are getting much better though) However, the Russians are very adept at aerodynamics, which is what makes their aircraft so competitive. It's really anyone's guess as to whether a Flanker or Berkut could defeat a Raptor. In a real-world combat scenario, my money would be on the Raptor... But, I wouldn't bet the bank on it. Although, what is really important is the kill ratio. And, that is still very favorable toward the Raptor. It's just not unbeatable like we've been told. (which is 99% of the argument for the billions spent on it)

And, thank you BogdanM, I found Max Power's reply to my post rather unnecessary. Either he is in desperate need of getting laid, or is just naturally up tight, either way, all he had to do is say "please post requests in the request thread". Or even just report the post for an admin to say something. Regardless, I really don't care. I typically try to ignore people like our friend Max Power.

Oh, and BogdanM, I agree that the mission designer can choose how to balance the battlefield. However, what I was suggesting is that the person who is designing the mission will have a massive amount of technology and firepower at his disposal on the BlueFor side, but if the OpFor is left to the two jets available at installation... Then, it is unbalanced, as a game, not necessarily the individual battles. Just saying we need some OpFor jets as well. Nothing more, nothing less.

Anyway, back to reality, probably won't start on any OpFor's until after the Raptor and the B-2B. But, at that point I'll probably start with the Tu-95 or Su-37. For now though, I just want to get my Raptor in-game. I'm looking forward to the tutorials that RKSL-Rock is working on. Once I get a hold of those, it should only take a week or so to complete. If anyone is already planning either of the Russian aircraft I mentioned, let me know so I don't waist time on stuff that's already being made. But, I've already started on the Raptor and B-2B, so if someone is making one of those... Well, then we'll have two of them. lol

Also, Max Power, I'm not really sure why you wanted to see the Raptor without the smoothing modifier. Anyway, here it is.

raptor_05.jpg

Looking good Irish, I'll be checking this thread often for sure. I just wanted to say how much we all appreciate you making an addon from scratch. We love the effort people take in porting OFP addons to A1 and then A2 but this is really cool to see a truly new model. Keep up the good work.

Thank you... Making some progress. I just got home from work, but I should be able to post some more later today.

---------- Post added at 04:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 PM ----------

--Breaking News--

Congress is pushing the Pentagon to build 7 more F-22 Raptors (likely to retain jobs in the 44 States where the parts are built), even though the Pentagon says they have enough of them. And, President Obama says that he'll veto any bill put through Congress that attempts to further the Raptor program. Therefore... the 187 that we have is all we're going to get. (unless the Pentagon opens up the export of the Raptor for the Aussie's and Brits) It's kinda sad, but it isn't really money we have to spend... And, though there are a lot of jobs hanging on the Raptor program, most of those will be diverted to the JSF program as it is based largely on the Raptor... A lot of the parts for the JSF actually come from the Raptor's design.

Anyway, thought the F-22 fans would like the update on it's situation. Also, the rear of my F-22 is taking shape, so I thought I'd share it.

raptor_06.jpg

raptor_08.PNG

raptor_09.PNG

I'm going to be working most of the afternoon on this, so check back later for more pics...

Edited by IrishDeviant

Extremely nice jet Irish, seriously can't wait to fly this jet over a AO and drop some JDAMs on some rab... I mean russians.

Speaking of which, what loadouts/armament do you have planned for this? If you have thought this far ahead yet.

I started working on the nose. The blueprints I was using were incorrect on just about every aspect of the entire front of the aircraft. I had to push the intakes back, move the cockpit forward, flatten the nose, raise the curve of it's top-side, etc. So, now I'm cleaning up the mess of moving everything around. Anyway, not a big deal. As soon as I'm done with that I can move on to the canopy, weapons bays, and landing gear.

Here's what the front looks like now:

raptor_11.jpg

---------- Post added at 06:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 PM ----------

Extremely nice jet Irish, seriously can't wait to fly this jet over a AO and drop some JDAMs on some rab... I mean russians.

Speaking of which, what loadouts/armament do you have planned for this? If you have thought this far ahead yet.

Thanks for the comments... Um, haven't really thought that far ahead. I'm not sure which armaments are actually already in A2. Such as JDAM, etc. But, that's still a ways off. Right now, I just want to get it modeled, unwrapped, textured, animated, and make the LoD's. That by itself is quite a task. Then, hopefully RKSL-Rock will have his tutorial finished so that I'm able to get it into the game. At that point I'll start worrying about what to stuff into the Raptor's weapons bays. lol

Here is what the Raptor can carry:

Armament:

1x internal M61A2 20-mm cannon

3x internal weapons bays:

--Underside Bay

4x AIM-120A AMRAAMs

--2x Lateral Intake Bays:

each with 2x AIM-9M Sidewinder AAMs. (total of 4 Sidewinders)

Revised bays for 1,000 lb JDAMs (replacing 2x AIM-120s and AIM-9X AAMs)

4x under-wing stores stations with provision for 2x AGM-137A Tri-Service Standoff Attack Missiles and/or fuel tanks.

So, there is likely to be a bit of coding to get all that working. In fact, I may ask a programmer that works with me on another project if he'd be willing to try to find a way to get the "Gear" feature to work with aircraft when they're next to a rearm source. Then, add armaments to the vehicle supply crates to get the extra weapons. I don't know how difficult that would be, but I'll ask him.

Edited by IrishDeviant

Will you be simulating the opening weapons bays on the F-22? One of the biggest failings of BIS' F-35 is that the bombs and missiles appear out of thin air...

Irish,

you should check out Mykes IAWS weapons systems, it will basically give you everything you were looking for, all the weapon types/values are already done.

check here:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=75310

I also ported an old Su-47 from OFP to Arma, the model is a little old now, but I was going(have) ported it to arma2(on the list of things to do).

So if you want to re-do a better model of the su-47 thats cool, else I could put one together and get it in arma2 quite quick.

su47%20beta%201.jpg

It also now has about another 8 sets of textures

youtube vid of the various textures:

Southy

Ok first, ch_123, yes I am actually modeling the weapon bay doors right now. They will have their animation tied to the firing of the appropriate missile (if it can be done) Such as the side bays opening to "toss" out a Sidewinder, and the bottom bay doors opening to drop a JDAM, etc. I don't know how practical this will be, but it is the goal for now... Once I get my hands on a tutorial and actually do some digging around, I won't really know how much I can actually do with it.

Eble, go ahead and port the Su-47 over to A2. I've got at least another week or two on the Raptor, then probably 2-3 weeks on the B-2B, and 2 weeks on the Tu-95. So, the Su-47 won't be done for a while. I will still make it so that we have an updated model to use, but it would be nice to have the OFP Su-47 until mine gets made. I'm sure the community will enjoy having your port to play with in the mean time.

Oh, and thanks for the link to the Mykes IAWS. I'll take a look and see if I can make it work. Although, I'm still around a week away from even thinking about getting into that stuff with the Raptor.

I'll probably post some pics before I head off to bed. Making quite a bit of progress.

--Update--

Well, I'm off to bed. Weapons bays are cut and I'm setting up the topology to cut the gear doors. By tomorrow afternoon it should be completely modeled and ready to unwrap/texture. (the hard part) Anyway, I won't keep boring you guys with a bunch of pics. My next update will probably be after I get the basic texture on it.

raptor_15.jpg

raptor_16.jpg

Edited by IrishDeviant

Nice work Irish! Looking good mate.

Just a small update, finished work on the body pretty much, just need to get the cockpit done now and I should be good to move onto UV work and texturing.

F117A_CLAY_1_th.jpg F117A_CLAY_2_th.jpg

F117A_CLAY_3_th.jpg F117A_CLAY_4_th.jpg

Ok, so I'm behind a little bit. You did have a head start though. lol ...It is looking really good! I can't believe you even modeled arms to hold the ordnance. I should be done modeling the Raptor tomorrow, so brace yourself for some wicked screenies. ;) And, if you're bored, you can always UV map and texture mine as well. jk

Well, I'll report back either tomorrow or Sunday. Later.

Ok, so I'm behind a little bit. You did have a head start though. lol ...It is looking really good! I can't believe you even modeled arms to hold the ordnance. I should be done modeling the Raptor tomorrow, so brace yourself for some wicked screenies. ;) And, if you're bored, you can always UV map and texture mine as well. jk

Well, I'll report back either tomorrow or Sunday. Later.

The F35 I converted to arma had animated weapon bays and weapons, the doors opened and the weapons came out so it's possible for sure.

Looking good NS, wheels are getting more detail? :)

Ok, felt like doing some renders. Probably because I'm sleep deprived and about to pass out... Anyway, it's getting close to being done on the modeling side of things. Just the gear and cockpit to go. Also, the weapons bays and gear bays will need a bit of detail added.

Raptor_Render_01.jpg

Raptor_Render_02.jpg

Raptor_Render_03.jpg

Raptor_Render_04.jpg

Raptor_Render_05.jpg

Yeah, so I'm exausted... Will probably have texture WiP's sometime later today or tomorrow.

WOW WOW WOW @ND, this is something Ive been waiting for since ArmA1 release...great, great, great !!! :bounce3::bounce3::bounce3:

Let me know if you need to do some scratch and dirt on those textures, Ive got some good brushes for PS. :cool:

The MaxxPro looks really good @ND.

Like VXR's said though I think would benefit from some more detail to the wheels. Beveling the edges of the tread and rounding out the sides of the tyres so that they look inflated would be a good start.

From the level of detail on the rest of the vehicle I'm 100% the wheels are wip. Also thanks da12thMonkey for naming the vehicle, I've seen it before but I couldn't remember the name.

Ok, felt like doing some renders. Probably because I'm sleep deprived and about to pass out... Anyway, it's getting close to being done on the modeling side of things. Just the gear and cockpit to go. Also, the weapons bays and gear bays will need a bit of detail added.

Yeah, so I'm exausted... Will probably have texture WiP's sometime later today or tomorrow.

Not a fan of F-22 but this is one good looking model :)

Tiny update, just wanted to test the mesh in-engine and make sure my scaling was correct.

th_F117A_INGAME.jpg

That's sweet man. Ok, so I haven't even gotten far enough to know how to export to the engine, would you mind sharing some links to the apps/tuts that you're using? Would be much appreciated. ;)

---------- Post added at 06:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:24 PM ----------

Earlier someone was asking about the weapons configuration of the Raptor. I found this pic which illustrates it's different load-outs.

f-22-raptor-weapons.gif

Also, I fixed the weapon bay and gear bay doors so that there is a clearly defined edge between them.

Raptor_Render_07.jpg

--Question-- I'm assuming that the cockpit is a separate model from the exterior, so does anyone know how many polys should be used for the "exterior model" cockpit?

That does look fabulous @ND. I think it would be extremely useful ingame for US based gaming-groups.

And, thank you BogdanM, I found Max Power's reply to my post rather unnecessary. Either he is in desperate need of getting laid, or is just naturally up tight, either way, all he had to do is say "please post requests in the request thread". Or even just report the post for an admin to say something. Regardless, I really don't care. I typically try to ignore people like our friend Max Power.

Also, Max Power, I'm not really sure why you wanted to see the Raptor without the smoothing modifier. Anyway, here it is.

[imghttp://www.nawtek.com/IrishDeviant/ProjectRenders/raptor_05.jpg[/img]

Ah, speculating on my personal life. I see I have a fan. I just have one concession. I want dailies of your fan blog content to go through my office before they are posted. Then, you can get my seal of approval and your fan site will be more or less 'official'.

I wanted to see the mesh without the smoothing modifier because mesh smooth makes some pretty inefficient geometry. I see you're pretty much relying on the mesh smooth modifier pretty much exclusively to get the shape of your model, so I guess there's not much to be said. What is the polycount with the 2 smoothing iterations on it anyways?