Sign in to follow this  
[frl]myke

Footmunch/eddyD F-16 in ArmA 2

Playing around with this I was unable to get the customizable loadouts to work correctly... Is this something that needs to be changed inside the PBO or on the plane its self in the editor?

Small wishlist:

-add a cannon(i noticed the F-35doesnt have any either, WTF?)

-make the engine glow

-add a joystick to the cockpit

Good stuff though, really good model and the afterburner effect is five star.

If you need any last minute help, send me a PM with the link for the latest files and I'll take a look at it.

Nice work Myke

Is not better that amraam on the wingtips and sidewinder inside !!

like this pic

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=174423&g2_serialNumber=2

Cant wait test this baby when arma2 come out :)

cya

eddyD

Does your clantag need to be on the vertical stabilizer?

@Mondkalb

No it doesn't. This marking i'll keep for claninternal use, public variant will have a more neutral marking. It is WIP.

@eddyD

Good point. At first i would reply that Sidewinders in Wingtips is common loadout but then a google picture search showed me that mostly AMRAAM's are on Wingtips.

However, for me there are 2 reasons why i've put Sidewinders:

- AIM9 are close range missiles while the AIM120 is designed for BVR Combat. So for most missions a AIM9 seems to make more sens than a AIM120 (i'm guessing that, no pro here)

- For me personally, the quite smaller AIM9 looks visually better on the Wingtips than the AIM120.

Might be change, i'll surely think about it.

@ZiiiP

-add a cannon(i noticed the F-35doesnt have any either, WTF?)

The F-16 is equiped with a M61A1 Cannon including 500rounds. So i don't know what you mean.

-make the engine glow

I will try if i can manage this. I'm not a pro modder, i'm just fiddling with Footmunchs model which was improved by Snake Man. But i'll put it on my TODO list.

-add a joystick to the cockpit

Unlike how the pilot has his hands, the F-16 has no center stick but throttle control on the left and flight control stick on the right. As i wrote above, i'm not a modder and honestly the benefit to include those details is...well, quite low. However, i will see if i can find another pilot position which fits better.

@Schilly

Playing around with this I was unable to get the customizable loadouts to work correctly... Is this something that needs to be changed inside the PBO or on the plane its self in the editor?

Didnt made any in-depth tests but now a quick trial-and-error session showed me that it needs a setvehicleammo 0 command prior to reloading new weapons. The following code worked for me:

_plane = _this select 0;
_plane setVehicleAmmo 0;
_maglist = ["500Rnd_20mm_M61A1_GLT", "2Rnd_Sidewinder_GLT", "2Rnd_AIM120_GLT", "2Rnd_Maverick_GLT", "2Rnd_Mk82_GLT"];
_weplist = ["GLT_M61A1", "GLT_SidewinderLaucher", "GLT_AIM120Launcher", "GLT_MaverickLauncher", "GLT_BombLauncher_Mk82"];
removeallweapons _plane;
{_plane addmagazine _x} foreach _maglist;
{_plane addWeapon _x} foreach _weplist;

Placed a F-16 CAP and changed loadout via above script to F-16 Multirole.

Please remember that the order you apply them controls where they are mounted. Ordering is from outside to inside ,altering left/right.

So if you apply a Mk82 first, they will be mounted on Wingtips. :D

:EDITH:

Just tested it and found out the following: addWeapon order doesn't matter, it's just the addMagazine that affects the mount order on the plane.

@eddyD

I guess i will switch AIM9 and AIM120 at least on the Multirole variant.

Edited by [FRL]Myke

For the adding / removing of weapons... Can this be done in the init line? or does it have to be in a sqf?

Sure you can do this in the initline. It's just you have better overview in a script. In the init line, this code should work:

this setVehicleAmmo 0;
removeallweapons this;
{this addmagazine _x} foreach ["500Rnd_20mm_M61A1_GLT", "2Rnd_Sidewinder_GLT", "2Rnd_AIM120_GLT", "2Rnd_Maverick_GLT", "2Rnd_Mk82_GLT"];
{this addWeapon _x} foreach ["GLT_M61A1", "GLT_SidewinderLaucher", "GLT_AIM120Launcher", "GLT_MaverickLauncher", "GLT_BombLauncher_Mk82"];

Ahh okay perfect... I have been trying to get it to work... But its been giving me a pain in the ass. Is the version you have in the thread the latest one? As it's working now, except its telling me that the MK82s don't exist lol.... Im assuming your working with a newer version than I.

---------- Post added at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

I got it to work okay, however even when using the remove all weapons, it still shows the old weapon slots there but with no ammunition for them. Any ideas?

Argh...yes indeed, the Mk82 is not implemented in the available version. I'm sorry for this. Refer to the included readme for the correct clasnames available.

Argh...yes indeed, the Mk82 is not implemented in the available version. I'm sorry for this. Refer to the included readme for the correct clasnames available.

Thats no problem I sorted that, read my above post however. Seems to be a common thing across the board... as these commands work on all vehicles, allowing me to add 500 GBU's to a C130 if I wish lol... Or 6 GBU's to a A10, but it still shows the old weapon slots in red as if they are just out of ammo... doesnt actually remove them. This a bug? or the way its meant to work?

I was in the USAF 1988-1992 and worked on the F16 as a Fire Control Attack Avionics Technician at Eglin AFB. During my time at this test base the AIM120 was being developed and test fired.

While the aircraft can have the AIM120's mounted on the wingtips it severly limits the planes potential to pull a high g-load, for that matter a medium g-load. With wing mounted fuel tanks the g-load limit is 6g's. I know this is more detail than most care for as the game isn't a flight sim and doesn't take weapons loads into consideration and how it affects the aircrafts performance.

Eglin is a weapons development base. Live fire missions are done on all new weapons and filmed by cameras on the planes and on the ground. The live fire range for air to ground is the size of Rhode Island and a huge section of the Gulf is used for air to air live fires. I remember one live fire incident deploying the AIM120 with the plane inverted. The missles exhaust created severe havoc with the airflow over the plane. The right flaperon (side the weapon was fired from) and the rudder totally shattered. The pilot was advised to eject due to the damage. The pilot landed the damn plane with only a working left flaperon, and got a medal.

This was the first fly-by-wire aircraft for the USAF. Sitting in the cockpit, the flight control stick is on the right side of the pilot and the throttle on the left. This serves a few purposes. The instruments were not blocked by the pilots hands and his arms did not have to fight the effects of gravity while pulling high g loads with a traditional cable driven system. The F-16's flight control stick moves in any given direction less than a couple millimeters. The stick senses the pressure applied and moves the flight controls accordingly. A pad sits under your right forearm for support.

When the pilots would run war games the F-16 at low altitude would consistently defeat the F-15's in air to air combat simulations. Anything over 10,000 feet and the larger wing area of the F-15 allows for higher manuverability due to the lighter air density and would kill the F-16's easily.

The F-16C models were just coming out in the early 90's and resulted in a tremendous improvement in the radar and diplay systems.

Love the work you have done Myke. It's a great plane. Sorry for the ramble.

Edited by S7_Mega

but it still shows the old weapon slots in red as if they are just out of ammo... doesnt actually remove them. This a bug? or the way its meant to work?

What says the ammo count at this point? Sidewinders and AIM120 takes 30 seconds before they turn green (magazine reload time, already changed this for the final release). If the count is correct, then everything is okay. However, changed the previous script after a few tests and this one really works:

_plane = _this select 0;
_plane setVehicleAmmo 0;
{_plane removeWeapon _x} foreach (weapons _plane);
sleep 0.5;
{
_plane addmagazine _x;
sleep 0.1;
} foreach ["500Rnd_20mm_M61A1_GLT", "2Rnd_Sidewinder_GLT", "2Rnd_Maverick_GLT", "4Rnd_GBU12_GLT"];
{
_plane addWeapon _x;
sleep 0.1;
} foreach ["GLT_M61A1", "GLT_SidewinderLaucher", "GLT_MaverickLauncher", "GLT_BombLauncher_LGB"];

@S7_Mega

Interesting info, so i guess it's better to have the AIM9 on the Wingtips.

S7-Mega, great recap I was in the USAF myself.

Well Done!

Great Model Myke, can't wait for your update.

Now if only it whas posible to not assume that every one is allknowing beings with higher powers and include a simpel how-to-install-and-use instruction. Say in the readme.

@Angle

You're right, missed that and will add these info to the readme. Thanks for pointing, it's common that the most obvious things are goin to be forgotten.

*UPDATE*

Just to let you know i'm working on it, here an updated changelog for the final version. Still have one or two minor problems, as soon those are solved, i'll check every aspect again and do some finetune whereever needed.

Changelog FINAL:
- Added: Mk-82 unguided freefall bomb
- Added: F-16C Mk82
- Added: Wingtip trails
- Added: IAWS compatibility
- Fixed: Various rvmat issues
- Improved: Mass slightly adjusted for better Handling
- Improved: aileron and elevator adjusted for higher agility
- Fixed: First Person was a bit off-centered
- Fixed: Armory no longer displays text from AV-8B
- Fixed: Addon is now binarized.
- Added: .bisign and .bikey files.
- Changes: F-16 Multirole now has Mk82 instead of GBU12
- Changes: AIM-9x replaced with AIM-9L
- Changes: Tailmark no longer shows [GLT] Clantag
- Improved: most normal maps and specular maps reworked.
- Several minor fixes i can't remember ;)

@Angle

You're right, missed that and will add these info to the readme. Thanks for pointing, it's common that the most obvious things are goin to be forgotten.

Ok :)

And sorry if i sounded a bit condescending (prbly not the right word for it but its the first that came to mind). Been trying to figure out how to install it for almost half a day.

Edited by Angle

wow awesome! My fav fighter!! nice changes

Myke,

By the looks from your post you have changed the classnames from RKT,the orignal authors "initials" to GLT your clan Initials.

I dont consider this "right" .

Is there any reason why the ammo and weapons class names have been changed?

Or is this a different GLT version?

It is uncalled for to port things to ARMA2 and adding your own Clan name in the classnames to them.

It WILL cause headaches for ppl porting missions from ARMA1.

All for just a clan name inbedded in a classname.

Unless of course it is a different version.

Steve.

I did this since i am not the owner of the RKT tag. They might do theyr own porting so then it will definately give confusions if i would kept the tag.

For me this is usual behaviour when releasing addons that they will get my/our tag (which is equal to clantag but this doesn't matter.

I don't claim credits for the model, this is still Footmunchs basic work, modified/improved by Snake Man. Also textures aren't my work but eddyD's.

Besides this, there are quite a lot changes made, to the model itself but also to textures, by meaning i've reworked nearly most of normal maps and specular maps.

So i consider this correct behaviour as i don't know what RKT has planned for the Future, so an upcoming own F-16 might collide with the classnames used by me.

Sure, for porting missions it gives some more work to do but i guess this can be done very quickly with a simple search/replace RKT classname by GLT classname in the mission.sqm.

The readme includes the classnames so there is even no need to figure them out yourself.

Sure, for porting missions it gives some more work to do but i guess this can be done very quickly with a simple search/replace RKT classname by GLT classname in the mission.sqm.

The readme includes the classnames so there is even no need to figure them out yourself.

This can be done by adding a simple config that reuses the new classnames e.g.:

class CfgVehicles {
class GLT_f16;

class RTK_f16: GLT_f16 {
// Add config tweaks to correct behaviour here...

This way, we can "tweak" the config, if something behaves incorrect (e.g. adopted weapons configs from arma1), without having to do this in Myke's config. So Myke's naming gives us the option to support those people converting missions from A1.

Myke ,

I have downloaded the file.Even though i dont have arma2 and wont have for a cupple of months yet.

I seen the soundfiles included in your version are the same as the last arma1 release.

I spent a significant amount of time working on these sounds, and the cfg .

It is stated so in the Readme.I dont see that you have credited me at all.

It escapes me how ppl can see some parts of Readme's but not others....

From what i remember, Southy did a hell of a lot more work porting this addon and deserves a hell of alot more credit than just doing the aim-120's or whatever.

Zguba also did some good work to it i think.I am sure there are others.

If you can take the time to change classnames you should bother to add the full credits list.You are not a noob so you know how this all works.

The only reason it ported so well was the huge amount of effort that went into developing this from OFP to Arma.

Please everyone take care in getting credits right as it is a huge slap in the face for the people who have spent hundreds of hours working on things and also hundreds of hours learning the skills neccasary to do this stuff.

I myself have invested serious hrad cash in professionally learning my trade ,sound.

I do this for fun and to contribute to the community to hopefully improve the general quality of game we all enjoy.

So, as i said ,People who simply port over or get permission to include work from other community members (long or short time) to use their work ,should go to extra efforts to make sure everyone one who has sacraficed time out of their lives are acknowledged for their efforts and sometimes monetary investments.

Most modders are very modest and wont make a fuss about credits so as not to be seen as being petty or just trying to be an ARMA rock star...lol.

I WAS like that at the beginning but after many cases of being "ripped" and used,

I sometimes make my point more boldly than some would like.

So to people,

Get the credits right!!!

Steve.

Although i understand your point, i don't see why you blame me. The version i've started my work of was eddyD's version.

I have to admit that i've didn't read the included readme yet since i was busy with a lot of other things, started with bughunting (yep, there were several bugs already in the ArmA 1 version), sorting things to see which file belongs to what and so on.

Although, you didn't read my readme file neither to the end as the last sentence says:

If i missed someone or didn't gave enough credit, please let me know. It's not my intention to get honour for other peoples work. Always respect it.

So a simple PM would have sorted all out without moaning about this and that. If you feel now uncomfortable if i keep your sounds in it, please say a word and i'll replace them before releasing it as final. Most are already gone, only the afterburner sound is still there. Not hard to replace this one too.

Besides this, please consider that it is a lot more than a simple port. A lot of things have been tweaked and some even completely changed. So if you ask for credits, please don't speak of my work as a simple port. I'm not a pro but i'll try the best i can.

I could also abandon any public release and just have it for our clan, if this would make you happy.

:EDITH2:

Added the original credits to the readme prior to my own credits section:

Initial credits (as stated in eddyD's ArmA1 Version)

---Footmunch for his great F-16---

ModEmMaik for his help&support with some problems.

zGuba for his config improvement

and Alexduke for the first update

Sound : the new sound is make by soundmaker ANZACSAS Steve

:EDITH3:

Just was goin through the sounds as i was never fully happy with, ANZACSAS Steve gave me a good reason to replace them with better ones. This will delay the release a few days but not too much. No big deal. I'll avoid that someone feels not enough credited so i decided to take this little step.

Edited by [FRL]Myke

@ANZACSAS Steve

you are right, but you should be long enough here to know that this type of discussion belongs to PM first!?

I could also abandon any public release and just have it for our clan, if this would make you happy.

rejected by the community! :p

Hey guy's, you forget were you are. If you want to talk about YOUR work, then open a personal forum. Here is the cummunity forum and people don't want to read through xx pages of posts just to learn that you want to keep YOUR work for yourself :rolleyes:

looking forward to see the improved readme ... ah yea and the model :D

QuietMan