Sign in to follow this  
[frl]myke

Footmunch/eddyD F-16 in ArmA 2

Myke,

I did read your readme and so i contacted you.

"please consider that it is a lot more than a simple port."

Everyone knows it is much harder to get an addon from OFP to ARMA1 than it is ARMA1 to ARMA2.Thats is all i meant.

"i don't see why you blame me"

see below-

"I have to admit that i've didn't read the included readme"

You made the mistake,not me.I havnt done anything wrong but stand up for myself and others.You dont seem to appreciative of the communities work and dedication to your favorite game.

Did you get permission to rename it from the RKT_F16A that we all have been working on and contributing to as a community like we should be and updating it to say,

RKT_F16a v1.11 or whatever like everybody have been doing in ARMA1.

I can see an unhealthy motive doing all of this before even ARMA2 is released to the Main markets.

This addon WAS a turning point in the commnity working together in a common goal in a common addon.

"moaning about this and that"

This is very very important.Asking for credit for my own and other peoples investment,freetime,work,skills and effort isnt moaning.

Edited by ANZACSAS Steven

Myke assures me the permission issues are all resolved now :)

Edited by Placebo

Ok, since the topic raised, let me clarify some. First of all, i missed to read the original readme and therefor i've missed to name some people in my credits. My bad and i apologize.

And now back to the actual work:

Model by Footmunch (and i also guess he had made initial textures and config) so full credits to him who brought this baby to live.

Tweakings by zGuba (sorry, i don't know how much and what exactly you've changed) so also huge credits to him.

Textures by eddyD. Always loved your work mate, you're a real texture artist. Credits as you deserve.

Reworked MLOD from Snake Man. Added more LOD's and i guess some more tweakings that i can't see myself but i'm sure not done in a few. Really appreciate it, mate.

Models and textures of the AIM-9L and the AIM-120 are taken from Southy/Eble's F-15 release. I don't know if it's his own work (i assume it for now) but anyway, he permitted me to use them on the F-16. Love those missiles. Great work Southy/Eble.

All sounds from original F-16 addon for ArmA 1 were removed last night.

After reading all this, some might ask what i have done with since every aspect has been covered by Community members stated above.

Well, it is always something to do. It started with fixing errors that it throwed in the arma2.rpt which was quite a lot. Also i had to figure out how the new weapon proxy system works now in ArmA 2 and adapt this new knowledge to the plane. Also there were some normal maps and specular maps missing or had to be reworked. The config also needed some major improvements and additions. And finally getting new sounds and tweak them for max quality (sidenote: afterburner sounds now stop when afterburner is disabled, also it is repeating as long the afterburner is engaged).

A sidenote to ANZACSAS Steve:

you've talked about your hard work you've done for the sounds. Funny thing is, in less than 10 minutes in Google, i've found 2 of your "own engineered sounds" in open sound libraries. I've compared them closely and besides that your version had reduced bitrate, they were absolutely identical. I own a recording Studio since 10 years so you better watch out who you try to fool.

Final note:

If i still missed someone in the above credits, please send me a PM and i'll correct this. During the lifetime of this particular F-16 addon there were so many people laying hands on, it is almost impossible to remember all. For all those i just can say thanks in general.

P.S.

Almost forgot: thanks to modEmMaik who helped me to solve a view issues.

Myke,

Appreicate all your hard work on this, would have been a real shame to see it die due to permission issues.

I do remember that the F-16 in the Dedi Server Rpt from ARMA 1 had tons of errors so I didn't want to use it in missions, be happy to run this on my ARMA2 Dedi Server and see what it reports unless you already have.

Keep up the great work!

Reworked MLOD from Snake Man. Added more LOD's and i guess some more tweakings that i can't see myself but i'm sure not done in a few. Really appreciate it, mate.

Basically what I did was

- renumbered res LODs to 1, 2, 3, 4 etc

- reduced section count to a minimum with these textures/rvmats.

- added if I recall correctly, two new low res LODs, last one below 100 points.

I can't remember anything more specific. It was meant for you as help, that you grab the new low res LODs from it, however it of course would work best if you use it as is which I assume you now did(?).

I cant say for the renumbering of LODs, but the two other tweaks highly increase the performance of this model. These are essential for any properly done addon model.

If I do helping fixes for you next time, I'll promise to write detailed changelog :)

Myke,

[you better watch out who you try to fool.

]

Was this really needed?

If you read my post you will see i said i worked on the sounds and cfg(sound)

[Funny thing is, in less than 10 minutes in Google, i've found 2 of your "own engineered sounds"]

Please no more of these "attacks" .

For the record.I am sorry to bore the crap out of everyone but accusations deserve an answer.

This is correct.Eddyd sent me the link to the website and i previewed them,d'loaded them,opened them with adobe,converted them from some strange format and bitrate ,added a touch of compression ,eq,splicing for good looping,converted to arma format,and then spent several days mixing the soundfile and sound cfg to do all aspects as best as possible ingame.

Once again,

no more attacks.I made my point,proper credits have been given and my posts have serverd their purpose.

Steve.

@ANZACSAS Steve

Your work is no longer included in this addon and since you don't own ArmA 2 yet (your own statement) , this thread is no longer of any interest for you. Of course you might check this once the final version is out. For the version already in public there's nothing i could change anymore.

@All

Let's close this credit/permission discussion at this point unless someone else also feels left out. Then please send me a PM so i get the chance to put things correct.

I WAS like that at the beginning but after many cases of being "ripped" and used,

I sometimes make my point more boldly than some would like.

So to people,

Get the credits right!!!

Steve.

Kinda like your sound mod that copied sounds from a BF2 mod without giving credit.

@Stavanger

Link added to the mirror list in first post. Zhanks mate, much appreciated.

@Maddmatt

Please don't provoke to last this credit discussion any longer. I'll also keep to myself what i thought when i was reading your post. :D

Hello Myke,

my RPT file still contained errors after using your addon. I forgot which, I can look it up. I think it was related to the mesh probably (connecting points...?). Is this still WIP or do you consider the addon final?

Thanks,

VictorFarbau

...my RPT file still contained errors after using your addon.

As far as I know, Myke released his first converted version only and is actually working hard on the final release version.

BR,

mike

As far as I know, Myke released his first converted version only and is actually working hard on the final release version.

BR,

mike

Yeah I jumped the gun and thought he posted an updated version but then I read his post on the last page and realized he was giving a status update. I suppose I should read the whole post before I DL anything. ;):D

@VictorFarbau & Maddmatt

Indeed, the actual available version still fills the RPT with hundred of lines. But most of them are bacuse it is not binarized. As it is not signed yet, you may binarize it yourself and a lot of messages should be gone.

However, things developing well and i hope to release the final version until end of the week. As little appetizer you may take a look in the last changelog (which includes all from previous):

Changelog FINAL:

- Improved: more low res LOD's and reduced section count for increased performance. Tweaks done by Snake Man.

- Added: Mk-82 unguided freefall bomb.

- Added: F-16C Mk82.

- Added: Wingtip trails.

- Added: IAWS compatibility.

- Changes: F-16 has now 10 missile holders instead of 8.

- Fixed: Various rvmat issues.

- Improved: Mass slightly adjusted for better Handling.

- Improved: aileron and elevator sensitivity adjusted for higher agility.

- Improved: steering wheel sensitivity slightly raised.

- Fixed: First Person was a bit off-centered.

- Fixed: Armory no longer displays text from AV-8B.

- Fixed: Addon is now binarized.

- Added: .bisign and .bikey files.

- Changes: F-16 Multirole now has Mk82 instead of GBU12.

- Changes: AIM-9x replaced with AIM-9L.

- Changes: Tailmark no longer shows [GLT] Clantag.

- Improved: most normal maps and specular maps reworked.

- Changes: replaced all soundfiles with better ones.

- Improved: Afterburner sound now stops when disabled.

- Improved: Afterburner sound now doesn't stop anymore while afterburner still enabled.

- Added: 3 Groups placeable with F2.

- Added: squad.xml clan sign applied on the wings.

- Added: Low res shadow LOD for better performance. Model provided by modEmMaik.

- Added: Engine exhaust animation.

- Several minor fixes i can't remember ;)

I'm almost done with adding content and tweakings, just one or two minor points to take a closer look at. I also hope i can make use of the improved retexture feature. Have to do some tests about first, if it turns out how i expect, retex addons or texture changes mid-game should be easily doable.

Edited by [FRL]Myke

Don't forget to add (to the changelog?) the optimization tweaks, more low res LODs and reduced section counts on all LODs (within the limits of current texture counts).

People should know that this is properly modeled addon which causes no frame rate loss even when used in excessive amounts in missions/scenes. This should be in my opinion, of of the "highlights" when pimping this to the news sites etc.

@Snake Man

argh...i knew i forgot something. Will add it immediately. Thanks for pointing.

:EDITH:

Added to the changelog.

Edited by [FRL]Myke

When can we expect the final version Myke? Awsome job to all people who made this beauty possible.

@Fansadox

i'm really close to final, just a few minor things i like to tweak before releasing. The Flares countermeasure doesn't work 100% as i want it but no big issue, just fine tunings.

Also i decided to make own engine sounds for all purposes os it won't sound like a AV8B any longer.

If things goin well (and my Missus grants me the time i need :D) i think this weekend is realistic for release.

Just a comment on the engine sound. When it's on the ground the sound of the engine is one thing, but has a slightly ear peircing sucking sound due to the shape of the intake, almost a very high pitch whistle thats riding on top of the engine sound. It's quite unique.

This sound carries over in the cockpit but not as pronounced.

It is done....

Final release of the F-16 for ArmA 2.

372-f16_teaser01.jpg

First of all, the credits. Without all this people i couldn't finish it in it's actual quality. So take note of them as they are artists.

CREDITS:

Footmunch, for the F-16C

Snake Man for optimized MLOD (more lowres LOD's)

eddyD for awesome new textures (awesome work as usual, mate)

modEmMaik for lowpoly Shadow LOD and advices when i needed them

zGuba for config tweakings in the ArmA 1 version (i guess most of them are still in and unchanged)

Eble for the AIM-9L and AIM-120 AMRAAM models incl. Textures.

Maddmatt for the flarescript (taken from ArmA 2 .pbo's)

Some code fragments taken from Franze's F/A18 missile spoof script

Sounds taken from: http://soundboard.com and http://www.therecordist.com

BIS for a awesome game as usual.

So, what do you get finally:

Five F-16C with individual loadout:

F-16C Multirole

- M61A1 with 500 rounds.

- 2x AIM-9L Sidewinder

- 4x AIM-120 AMRAAM

- 2x AGM65 Maverick

- 2x Mk82

F-16C CAP

- M61A1 with 500 rounds.

- 4x AIM-9L Sidewinder

- 6x AIM-120 AMRAAM

F-16C LGB

- M61A1 with 500 rounds.

- 4x AIM-9L Sidewinder

- 6x GBU12

F-16C AGM

- M61A1 with 500 rounds.

- 2x AIM-9L Sidewinder

- 2x AIM-120 AMRAAM

- 6x AGM65 Maverick

F-16C Mk82

- M61A1 with 500 rounds.

- 4x AIM-9L Sidewinder

- 6x Mk82

There is also a bonus package (glt_f16_retex.pbo) which gives you 3 more F-16C Multirole in different Paintings (again, thanks to eddyD who made them). You may use this bonus addon as a template to create your own camo schemes at ease.

I will not fill up endless text, please refer to the included readme.pdf for detailed informations about installing, classnames and other more or less important stuff.

I'll just add the final changelog which shows you what have been done since initial release.

CHANGELOG

From initial release to 1.00
Improved: more low res LOD's and reduced section count for increased performance. Tweaks done by Snake Man.
Improved: new textures made by eddyD especially for this release.
Added: Mk-82 unguided freefall bomb.
Added: F-16C Mk82.
Added: Wingtip trails and body vapour.
Added: Automatic Counter measures. Drops flares on incoming missiles.
Feature: F-16 has 128 Flares loaded. Once empty, it will no longer deploy flares. Audible warnsound is still played.
Added: IAWS compatibility.
Changes: F-16 has now 10 missile holders instead of 8.
Fixed: Various rvmat issues.
Improved: Mass slightly adjusted for better Handling.
Improved: aileron and elevator sensitivity adjusted for higher agility.
Improved: sterring wheel sensitivity slightly raised.
Fixed: First Person was a bit off-centered.
Fixed: Armory no longer displays text from AV-8B.
Fixed: Addon is now binarized.
Added: .bisign and .bikey files.
Changes: F-16 Multirole now has Mk82 instead of GBU12.
Changes: AIM-9x replaced with AIM-9L.
Changes: Tailmark no longer shows [GLT] Clantag.
Improved: most normal maps and specular maps reworked.
Changes: replaced all soundfiles with better ones.
Improved: Afterburner sound now stops when disabled.
Improved: Afterburner sound now doesn't stop anymore while afterburner still enabled.
Added: 3 Groups placeable with F2.
Added: squad.xml clan sign applied on the wings.
Added: Low res shadow LOD for better performance. Model provided by modEmMaik.
Added: Engine exhaust animation.
Added: stringtable.csv including english and german text.
Added: Simplified re-texturing even mid-mission and creating new textured addons based on this one. Simple config and 2 Textures only needed.
Several minor fixes i can't remember ;)

DOWNLOAD LINK:

F-16C Fighting Falcon

- FIXED: Error message "missing texture skinM_co.paa"

There were 3 downloads before i could fix it, please redownload it again.

For those who like to work on this addon, here i have a unbinarized version of it. It countains only .p3d, .rvmat, config.cpp and model.cfg files. For the textures, sounds and other files you need to dePBO the addon. Those archieve only contains these files which were binarized during the pbo process:

F-16C unbinarized files

Edited by [FRL]Myke

Had a little config error, actually uploading fixed version...give me 5 minutes

There you go:

F-16C Fighting Falcon

I shouldn't release addons at 3AM anymore. Sorry for the unconvenience.

Edited by [FRL]Myke