Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

A.C.E. Advanced Combat Environment Mod 2

2. Make an exhaustion system that doesn't cripple you.

Its ok that when you sprint you get exhausted big time by just trying to sprint 50 meters when carrying 50 kgs. And if you try to sprint more than 100 you will face blackouts etc pp.

But when just jogging you should be able to go for a while. Its ok if you get exhausted more the more you carry. But even with a load of 50kgs you should be able to go like a 2-3 kms without blackouts. At least. Ofc you would be exhausted big time then.

Humans don't jog for 2-3km with a 50kg load. Maybe on your planet.

4. Make the effects of exhaustion VISIBLE. So when your aim is supposed to be unsteady the aim of your soldier has to sway. Its absolutely a gamebreaker if I see a steady aim and the noise of my breathing is so quiet that I can't hear it against the background of the battle and my aim isn't steady.

Fatigue is progressive. Unsteady hands will occur with just a minor rise in heart-rate IRL.

I've come to the conclusion that comments from AlienFreak are less about about useful suggestions and more consistant with someone who wants to gun-n-run. ACE is not for the CoD/BF2 crowd.

I have actually carried heavy loads (PRC or a M60) in the field and jogging, much less sprinting, for any significant distance was not a option. I've seen people keel over from over-exertion and felt the quivering hand effect without gasping for breath.

I've also played ACE missions with very heavy loads, in one case hauling a M240 and FOUR belts of ammo. I did the same thing I did in IRL in Korea - I walked, took frequent rest stops and never collapsed despite traveling 2 klicks from the LZ. If a vehicle like a ATV was around I got a ride.

There is no doubt that the ACE1 stamina system needed adjustments. That is being done for ACE2. Tuning will happen, nerfing the systems will not.

The problem with the ACE stamina system was that many people were too dumb to slow down when the heavy breathing started. Partly the systems fault for not forcing the player to slow down after a while, but come on, you only need to engage a few brain cells to figure it out.

Well with a new range of post-process effects I imagine this won't be a problem. Increasing levels of Blur/RadialBlur should serve very well compared to just blacking out.

I don't know about that, if heavy breathing and weapon sway wasn't enough for some people then there isn't much hope for them.

But seriously, yes some use of the post processing effects there would be a good touch :)

The problem with the ACE stamina system was that many people were too dumb to slow down when the heavy breathing started. Partly the systems fault for not forcing the player to slow down after a while, but come on, you only need to engage a few brain cells to figure it out.

This post is full of truth and win.

Guys, OFP2 has come out and the ARMA2 servers are a ghost town. I am not buying OFP2 because I know that by wasting another $50 I will be disapointed after a while and $50 poorer. The clan I joined, quit playing ARMA2 altogether. I can't tell you how bad we need ACE2 right now. If there is any BETA packages that can be released now, I would request that you do, so we can get our players back. Please?

Relax, and wait... OFP2 just released. it's normal for almost everyone wanted to try a new game. after a while it will be back to normal.

ACE2 will be released when the team feel it's ready. Otherwise ppl will start flaming them for releasing a buggy, low quality mod. Be patience.. it wont be the end of the world

Relax, and wait... OFP2 just released. it's normal for almost everyone wanted to try a new game. after a while it will be back to normal.

ACE2 will be released when the team feel it's ready. Otherwise ppl will start flaming them for releasing a buggy, low quality mod. Be patience.. it wont be the end of the world

You're right, I know. I just hate that I bought this game 2 weeks ago and now nobody is playing.

4. Make it that some weapons have to be assembled first. Javelin and stuff. That would balance those really inbalanced weapons out a lot. Plus its realistic.

Speaking of the Javelin. It would have been very nice for gameplay if ACE 2 included a Javelin that does not auto target, but making the operator have to do the targeting himself.

Like with the GTD mod Javelin:

KOmpHzDz-LA

And the PhilippRauch's Arma Javelin Concept, that sadly is unreleased. Search for it on youtube.

You just took 50kgs with you. You had to walk anyway. Great feature.

You managed to disable the autorun? Congrats...

Are you playing the same game as me?

What the hell are you on about?

I understand from those remarks that you are one of those that NEED restrictions put onto you or you wont be able to play (like kids need rules from mom). You just dont SPRINT all the time as i now know you did. That will result in black outs. Just running with SHIFT and pack wisely wich was a lot of stuff to keep me going for hours - did not make me black out. I could even sprint short stretches when necessary. But it isnt necessary to sprint all the time wich seems to be your thing. If you carry a stuffed backpack in real life - would you also complain that you get tired and cant move when you move too much? "DAMN I SUCK WTF WHY DO I GET TIRED???!!!!!". Dont know what to say dude...

Too much freedom seems to make you confused so i think its better you move along to the kiddie shooters where everything is served on a silver plate. I think you should go with OFP2 if you havent already.

See ya.

EDIT:

BTW to not just give that idiot a whole post - It would be great if you guys (ACE team) could get the blur effect in when we get tired. At least somewhere. I really like when addons make use of all the new features no matter how small they are. :) The "blur-out" is a good measurement of when someone is "out of focus" due to being tired or injured. Ehm not like taking off glasses out of focus - but being unfocused due to pain etc. You know what i mean. :)

EDIT2:

Had to edit a second time cause even though i dont have any info on how good things will get, but somehow i feel ARMA2+OA+ACE2 will be all of what i ever dreamt of. Some wants a new engine and da di da, but we know that wont happen so we have to live with some of the quirks that are in this game. But with the extra features coming in both ACE2 and OA plus A-stan-alike environments with mountains and green valleys... I think it will kick some serious ass. It will be as good as this can get. :)

And a huge thank you to the team for doing this. I could kiss you guys if i were into that.

Alex

Edited by Alex72

Fatigue is progressive. Unsteady hands will occur with just a minor rise in heart-rate IRL.

I've come to the conclusion that comments from AlienFreak are less about about useful suggestions and more consistant with someone who wants to gun-n-run. ACE is not for the CoD/BF2 crowd.

I have come to the conclusion that you seem to lack or deliberatly ignore your comprehension skills. If you do continue I will plain ignore any further posts made by you.

In the case you didnt get it (which you didnt):

4. Make the effects of exhaustion VISIBLE. So when your aim is supposed to be unsteady the aim of your soldier has to sway. Its absolutely a gamebreaker if I see a steady aim and the noise of my breathing is so quiet that I can't hear it against the background of the battle and my aim isn't steady.

So all I want is to have a FEEDBACK how exhausted I am and thus how much my weapon will sway.

Because it is NOT OK if the sound of breathing is really quiet (which it was) and your aim is steady (which it was) but the shots go off because you are supposed to be still exhausted. If I am exhausted and I sway I have to see it!

This has NOTHING to do with me disliking exhaustion having an effect on aim. Which I obviously don't dislike.

BTW to not just give that idiot a whole post - It would be great if you guys (ACE team) could get the blur effect in when we get tired. At least somewhere. I really like when addons make use of all the new features no matter how small they are. The "blur-out" is a good measurement of when someone is "out of focus" due to being tired or injured. Ehm not like taking off glasses out of focus - but being unfocused due to pain etc. You know what i mean.

I would like it alot not being called an idiot by someone who, just as the guy who responded to me earlier, can't even comprehend my statements properly.

If you had you would have come up with something like that:

He obviously seems to be the lighter equipment type guy, because I was talking about me liking to have a rifle with a handfull of mags on me as my full equip.

He took 50kgs of equipment with him because the difference of speed you could achieve without effectively crippling yourself wiht different loadouts was so minor that it didn't matter at all. The 10% of effective speed (percepted) you lost was not anywhere near the gain you had by having a SMAW with 3 rockets plus a rifle with loads of magazines.

This is what ACE achieved with its stamina system on almost all good players I know. They just scrapped their normal loadouts and took with them as much as they could carry.

Great addon... really shows the people to keep in bay!

And regarding your pseudo elitism "hahaha... I was so good, I've seen all the people collapse next to me while I was so pwning the enemy hard with all my skillz": No, I didn't collapse once after having it played for more than one hour.

Because I'm not dumb. And you had to be really dumb to collapse in ACE 1.

You just dont SPRINT all the time as i now know you did. That will result in black outs

Good that you seem to know more about me than I myself.

And if you could jogg for like 3 kms in ACE probably they changed it after 1.08 (which was the last version I played). Otherwise it definatly wasn't possible.

Sometimes you have to run like hell to survive.

I had such moments in ACE1, where i had to run for dear life, only to faint after a short while, right in the LOS of my enemies that were hunting me down.

Easy pickings.

Why you are bickering about non-released ACE2 features? Maybe ACE devs aware of this issue and tuning stamina or/and making this feature easy to turn on/off? (Guess they're not going to make ACE1 to a final 1.10 version.)

Sometimes you have to run like hell to survive.

I had such moments in ACE1, where i had to run for dear life, only to faint after a short while, right in the LOS of my enemies that were hunting me down.

Easy pickings.

In reality you can run a lot faster and further when you're "running like hell to survive" because of the adrenaline that's pumped through your body when you're scared. But then when you're safe, the minute you sit/lie down to rest the fatigue will catch up with you, you may even pass out.

It would be interesting if something like this were implemented in ACE2. Of course it's difficult to script "fear" but there are some possibilities. Perhaps a kind of "adrenaline value" that is built up whenever a member of your group dies, when you are suppressed, when enemies are close by etc.

The adrenaline value would basically counteract your fatigue value, allowing you to run longer than usual. But then, once you are safe, it should start to degenerate fast, forcing you to take a long rest to regain your strength.

1. If it would be possible change the maximum sprint speed according to the load it would be cool. So you can actually are more agile in changing positions when you carry less. I would keep the jogging speed equal so you don't get seperated if you are moving in a team. Also it would be cool if you would get slower the more exhausted you are...

Can't be done, at least to my knowledge...

1. Shuffle Magazines: when you have nothing to do, move on etc pp you often have half full mags. Please make it possible to make 1 full out of 2 half mags. It should take some time, so you can't do it in combat. But between or while hiding in the mountains it should be possible.

Not possible without a really big mess behind it script wise. Not really worth the extra bandwidth required, as well as possible bugs that could intervene...

2. A bit more dynamic System to check how many bullets are left. The Idea of not knowing how many bullets you have left rocks. But having to make a special move to know whether it was FULL, HALF FULL, ALMOST EMPTY is just too little. Those you even have in your feeling when handling a weapon. It should be able to tell you in 4th at least when checking.

I actually agree with you. A2 system is also a bit different, the amounts of bullets you have doesn't show on the HUD all the times now...

4. Make it that some weapons have to be assembled first. Javelin and stuff. That would balance those really inbalanced weapons out a lot. Plus its realistic.

Custom animations, breaking down all the AT models (or most of them) without the MLODs released....hmmm

Too bad that the "Shuffle magazines" Feature can´t be implemented.

I don´t know it is possible, but in Reality the last five bulets in a Ak Magazine are tracer Ammo. So you could easily see that you have to Reload. Could this be implemented in ACE2?

I don´t know it is possible, but in Reality the last five bulets in a Ak Magazine are tracer Ammo. So you could easily see that you have to Reload. Could this be implemented in ACE2?

Pistolfied's tracer addon does/can be set up to do that, so it's definitely possible.

Actually it's already like that with certain weapons in the game, for example the SAW. Put yourself in the editor at night with a SAW, turn on your NV goggles (important!) and unload an entire clip. The last few rounds are all tracers.

Not possible without a really big mess behind it script wise. Not really worth the extra bandwidth required, as well as possible bugs that could intervene...

Thats a pity.

I tried to come up with such a feature myself, but my scripting skills are limited so I thought a "pro" could come up with some neat script :/

Custom animations, breaking down all the AT models (or most of them) without the MLODs released....hmmm

It would be hell of a work. But it hasn't to be done 100% with models. Just make it take time to equip it (which should be cancelable, ofc) or so and put in a neat sound in which you can hear how he is working ^^...

Yeah... I know... my idea sucks ^^

Why you are bickering about non-released ACE2 features? Maybe ACE devs aware of this issue and tuning stamina or/and making this feature easy to turn on/off? (Guess they're not going to make ACE1 to a final 1.10 version.)

Because one of them asked a few pages back.

I'm curious about what you're expecting. We're keeping the same basic idea and unless we know what specifically about it is the subject of your hatred, we are unable to even consider the possibility (however small it may be) of changing it to suit your specific wishes.

Maybe adding an "Adrenaline" function? It could work that way: You are under fire, and you feel death breathing on your back. There's nowhere to hide and there's only one way to survive: RUN LIKE HELL!! So you press a button and you get an Adrenaline boost, which makes it possible to sprint for a limited time without tiring in the process and being more resistant to hits, but after the adrenaline mode finishes you end up so tired that you're barely standing and all the stuff encountered during the adrenaline (wounds, tiring) is applied with 1,5x effect. A'course, my idea is not perfect, but at least i guess how it is IRL.

As mentioned in the thread elsewhere, I believe features like this should be able to be disabled by the server. That way what may be a dealbreaker for many doesn't force the host to choose between all or nothing and clients with @ACE on their command line can still join and enjoy whatever features the server-op does want to enable. In this fashion I think ACE could truly become ubiquitous.

But in real life you can't press a button and get an adrenaline boost, so i'd suggest that its probably more realistic to have a lower effect of being shot at (whilst still being noticeable) so that it counters the effect, but isn't on demand.

But in real life you can't press a button and get an adrenaline boost, so i'd suggest that its probably more realistic to have a lower effect of being shot at (whilst still being noticeable) so that it counters the effect, but isn't on demand.

As i said, my idea is not perfect and if you've got any better ways to do it, please post them because right now it's at pre-alpha status :D Maybe ACE team will understand the genius of this feature and implement it (Half joke-half serious ;D)

Edited by Nickos

I pretty much did post my idea. On initial contact you are scared (ie. shaking hands, slightly blurred vision, perhaps longer to reload), then adrenaline starts to kick in and so the feeling isn't as pronounced (so perhaps hands don't shake, vision isn't blurred, perhaps reloading time might actually be faster than normal).

How does that sound?