Sign in to follow this  
funnyguy1

ARMA 2 DE 1.01 (final) Impressions - Post ALL Impressions/Videos/Screenies Here

Wanted to go for a swim with my honey at Topolka Dam.

Problem is....well see for yourself:

BTW...how can we embedd YouTube videos with a preview picture ?

She clearly need the workout! Bit more running and a few pounds lighter it will be better you'll see.

(and also maybe a patch). :D

i have to say, really funny way to present bugs, if it weren't so sad. :o

DocSnyder infraction +1 for posting campaign spoilers without using the spoiler tag.

Bahahahaah, that music just makes it. Hilarious vid. Maybe next patch? :rolleyes:

2005 called. they want their hardware back. :D

...2005 called back....they said you can keep the hardware, its not worth anything any more :D

The conclusion from german gamestar review:

Arma2 does not belie its high expectations, despite the countless bugs. With Realism (like it should be expected from a good simulation) it has after todays modern standards not much in common. The overwhelmed and clearly obvious cheating AI, the obsolete and not comprehensible Physics and the clumsy/bulky controls are overhauled at years already (by other products - remark mr.g-c).

The game world oozes from inconsistency and feels, despite the mostly great graphics and its unique atmospheric moments, too implausible. Bohemias ambitionated Military Simulation promises much, but the result is only a small portion of what the game could have been! That there is so far no real alternative game in this genre existing, is not making Arma2 better at all, only more endurable.

Arma2 is from many viewpoints unfinished, way too early released.

It even seems that the Manufacturer relies on the good Operation Flashpoint Community : They will not only forgive the mistakes but also correct them soon.

We have the opinion that this community would have deserved a way better Product.

We hope at least that Bohemia Interactive quickly delivers more patches, which can complete the fantastic potential of Arma2, which teases itself in the easier singleplayer missions (Scenarios, remark mr.g-c), to its fully potential.

we will closly monitor Arma2 in the future and will adapt the ratings with the upcomming patches.

Oh god .... I was hoping they'd spent a little more effort fixing problems like that :(

Shyt, how many coders and beta testers does BIS have? 2 ?

When I post a comment, I have a YouTube button available, it wraps the embedded source with,

YOUTUBE /YOUTUBE

Sample will not show if I put the brackets in.

Or, are you asking with a self made picture?

Edited by SWAT_BigBear

Personaly, the dam incident is clearly and oversight. I think no one would have thought that someone would actually swim so near to the dam. I dont even think anyone would go for swim either...

But I guess the damage is done and need to be fix. I could be an exploit in MP, underwater tunnel across the dam...

The conclusion from german gamestar review:

I'm going to pick apart a line that bothers me :

The overwhelmed and clearly obvious cheating AI, the obsolete and not comprehensible Physics and the clumsy/bulky controls are overhauled at years already (by other products - remark mr.g-c).

Part 1 : cheating AI, seriously, they need to get over themselves. Yes, IA (and yourself, btw) have a bit esay spotting ability. That needs correcting. That said, that never killed my fun in anyway, never felt this "cheat" apart from the fact things are appearing a bit easily on map. If the guys wouldn't have been portrayed here as knowledgable OFP fans, I'd have advise them to stop running like in a CoD game.... And believe me, I'm far from good in this game.

Part 2 : physics. They are right in the sense that we (OFP players) are used to OFP physics (vehicle handlings and character interaction with environnement - like when going on roofs and falling, etc... - , I guess mainly, because apart from that I don't see much wrong), and we don't see how it is "better" done in other titles (really?). Funny thing, though, they mention this just after :

That there is so far no real alternative game in this genre existing

I'm in the strong belief that both are linked. An alternative game would show the same kind of issues, I don't think having perfect physics at such a scale is simply feasible with today's hardware.This is the typical kind of comment on the game which NEVER take the whole picture into account, but isolate a specific point and compare it to another product having a much less broad scale possible.

Part 3 : controls. I agree on 1 point, it's the contextual menu which I still find bad (menu items changing too fast). Apart from that I find the controls way better. 1 of my friend I play regularly with now, told me, once the Kegetys mod was installed, that it "now felt like character control in CoD4"

I prefectly understand the notation and remarks in the light of the bugs present. But they don't stop there and go on a rant of the engine itself.

cheating AI, seriously, they need to get over themselves. Yes, IA (and yourself, btw) have a bit esay spotting ability. That needs correcting. That said, that never killed my fun in anyway, never felt this "cheat" apart from the fact things are appearing a bit easily on map. If the guys wouldn't have been portrayed here as knowledgable OFP fans, I'd have advise them to stop running like in a CoD game.... And believe me, I'm far from good in this game.

maybe so. but plenty of people 'feel' it, if you look around here and elsewhere. it is an issue, even if not everybody feels affected by it the same way.

Part 2 : physics. They are right in the sense that we (OFP players) are used to OFP physics (vehicle handlings and character interaction with environnement - like when going on roofs and falling, etc... - , I guess mainly, because apart from that I don't see much wrong), and we don't see how it is "better" done in other titles (really?).

the physics system is antiquated. there's no way around this. it's basically unchanged since OpF. but physics are an aspect that has seen tremendous improvement over the last years. just not in ArmA 2.

I'm in the strong belief that both are linked. An alternative game would show the same kind of issues, I don't think having perfect physics at such a scale is simply feasible with today's hardware.This is the typical kind of comment on the game which NEVER take the whole picture into account, but isolate a specific point and compare it to another product having a much less broad scale possible.

maybe so. but it's not just a lack of believable physics. it's also the ridiculous results that the current physics display (airplanes spinning in trees, tanks jumping into the air, etc.). you could forgive that 8 years ago.

Part 3 : controls. I agree on 1 point, it's the contextual menu which I still find bad (menu items changing too fast). Apart from that I find the controls way better. 1 of my friend I play regularly with now, told me, once the Kegetys mod was installed, that it "now felt like character control in CoD4"

controls are usually a matter of personal preference. i recognize that they are cumbersome and feel a bit outdated, but i have no issue with them.

Gnat;1303194']Oh god .... I was hoping they'd spent a little more effort fixing problems like that :(

Shyt' date=' how many coders and beta testers does BIS have? 2 ?[/quote']

Those ladies with jogging gear has their own anims, they cant walk only jogg slow/fast and run, they cant go prone just crouch with their arms covering their head. So maybe they dont have a swim-anim.

the physics system is antiquated. there's no way around this. it's basically unchanged since OpF. but physics are an aspect that has seen tremendous improvement over the last years. just not in ArmA 2.
And you don't wonder why? ;) Again, I think it's ArmA specific for reasons. If I exagerate: you can have a 250 sq km living area because the engine physics work that way
maybe so. but it's not just a lack of believable physics. it's also the ridiculous results that the current physics display (airplanes spinning in trees, tanks jumping into the air, etc.). you could forgive that 8 years ago.

Not a problem since I've yet to witness a vehicle stunt in A2 and saw... what... 3 of them in my last 2 month of A1 playing time? Is a bug that happens so rarely killing the game for you? oO

Edited by whisper

Those ladies with jogging gear has their own anims, they cant walk only jogg slow/fast and run, they cant go prone just crouch with their arms covering their head. So maybe they dont have a swim-anim.

Tested with regular units aswell. Just added the lady for eyecandy.

Maybe I´ll do a test with vehicles aswell. I´m sure the result will be the same.

Just tested the Topolka Dam issue too. Looks like the water volume stops about 10 meters from the dam. If you run down there and then turn right to run away from the dam, you suddenly appear swimming on the surface. :)

Looks like a minor oversight. Easy to fix.

If there is a interest i would be able to make a complete english translation of the 5 page review from Gamestar.

If there is a interest i would be able to make a complete english translation of the 5 page review from Gamestar.

Interest +1

+2 From me

Not from my side as their 66% rating tells me they rather should test stuff like CoD series.

Yes ArmA still has many flaws but after the patch and with good hardware this is a extremely enjoyeable game that surely doesnt deserve such a rating and especially not most of the nonsense that was put as bad points and also as ArmA was far worser in the release shape and had abetter score... how does that work i dunno...

Alone the editor gives it a replayvalue of most games i play last years together but i guess that doesnt count.

Net time make a arcadish shooter BIS with A to B levels and the press will love it i guess.

Before anyone gets me wrong, usually i enjoy the Gamestar reviews but in this case they butchered a title with real potencial and that will surely affect the sales in germany quite a bit.

Just browsed through the Gamestar review and their "players diary". For the most part the review actually seems fairly balanced, though they are very focussed on the campaign... which obviously lowers their perception of the game quite a bit. They admit that the single missions are fine and a lot of fun though.

It's a shame that the campaign is so full of bugs. If that wasn't the case, I think most reviews would be much more positive.

I'm interested.

Not from my side as their 66% rating tells me they rather should test stuff like CoD series.

Yes ArmA still has many flaws but after the patch and with good hardware this is a extremely enjoyeable game that surely doesnt deserve such a rating and especially not most of the nonsense that was put as bad points and also as ArmA was far worser in the release shape and had abetter score... how does that work i dunno...

Alone the editor gives it a replayvalue of most games i play last years together but i guess that doesnt count.

Net time make a arcadish shooter BIS with A to B levels and the press will love it i guess.

Before anyone gets me wrong, usually i enjoy the Gamestar reviews but in this case they butchered a title with real potencial and that will surely affect the sales in germany quite a bit.

Butchered a title? We have to be realistic. We're hardcore gamers, fans of the genre. We're willing to forgive many things. But that's not how a game must be judged. It would be unfair to not penalize a game that comes out in an unfinished state with many bugs. If we buy a defected product, we don't like it. ArmA 2 should be no different.

Also, we can't rate a game for what it could have been or what it will be. That's not honest. We have to objective here.

I just hope BIS is working hard to solve the problems, fix what there is to be fixed and then continues polishing the game. I just hope so. Giving a low rate that might steer gamers away from it might be an incentive to make them work ASAP. Before the game becomes a flop, only played by hardcore fans.

Just a little video showing the beautiful natural scenery in ARMA2.

It's just a 4 minutes collection of small cynematic clips taken around a dam.

Hope you will enjoy it!

... Lovely scenery, but at about 0.39 a soldier walks through a sheep! Are the animals just bodiless ghosts or is it just the usual clipping bug?

I call it butchered because it will kill the sales as Gamestar is the biggest ( by faaaaar ) German games magazine.

I just checked some ratings and if i see how Gothic 3 gets 86pts.,Empire 90pts and Stalker:Clear Sky gets 77pts in release shape then i must wonder, especially if you visit some of the fansites and read the bug sections.

I played ArmA2 since its out now, saw some ups and downs but the game still is a jewel and if my hardware would allow higher settings i could enjoy it even more.

In the end even if we agree that most here are a bit more forgiving and know that the BIS games all were not too easy 68pts is still laugheable.

I really dont understand this, 68pts.. for f**** sake...

Especially considering some of the contra points, controls from years ago, yeah because i can put the dozens of possible commands on two buttons or what?

And high score games like CoD do it so much better i guess because there you can do half the things and still have to use several buttons?

ArmA2 is clearly better in all aspects ( and i dont need to be a fanboy to see that ) over ArmA yet it gets a lower rating, m´kay...

ArmA had a 75pts rating, for the release versions that is maybe evne too much however if i check the list with reasons for the rating i see that as good as all of these aspects are fixed in ArmA2 yet they still give it a lot lower rating, weird logic.

Didnt remeber that there were totally revolutionary games released between the two games that did all that much better.

But i love the part where they say they monitor the progress, guess theyll add 1-2pts later like it was done with ArmA even if that had patches that really changed the game to a level that couldnt be compared to the release versions at all.

I saw a clear progress with the first patch already, how comes they dont see it, alone the AI reaction was completely changed and i didnt encounter situatiosn where AI just looked at me doing nothing again after the patch.

Next time let it someone test that doesnt gets so emotional and biased.

Edited by Shadow NX