Sign in to follow this  
dslyecxi

TrackIR 5 ArmA2 Thread!

I'm tempted to spend the money on one of these, but the few sims I play at the moment (LOMAC, GTR 2, LFS, and soon ArmA2) might not justify the price.

When I got my first TIR (ver 1) the only game I had that used it was IL2, there were maybee 1 or 2 others that I did not have.

I would say that if you spent a lot of time in 1 or 2 games that used TIR then I personally would go for it, and give it some time to get used to it.

To owners of trackir5, was it worth the money? Really thinking about getting the trackir5+pro clip with the 20$ discount.

To owners of trackir5, was it worth the money? Really thinking about getting the trackir5+pro clip with the 20$ discount.

Lets put it this way, to me it is the best thing to happen to gaming since the mouse was invented.

TrackIR 5 is easilly the best version yet, I use the TrackClip Pro with my ver5.

Wether it is good for you only you can decide. IF you spend a lot of time in any of the games that TIR is compatable with then I would say no harm in trying it out.

I am not an employee of NP just a user since ver1. Today if a PC game does not use TIR then I am not interested in it.

I ordered trackir5+clip using the discount today. :yay:

I got mine a couple weeks ago with the combo discount. I can't recommend TrackIR enough!

One thing that might make the clip pro better would be if you could somehow swivel the actual clip 90 degrees. This would allow you to clip it on to glasses.

lol nice idea, it would be cool. :)

Yes, absolutely worthy. :cool:

One thing that might make the clip pro better would be if you could somehow swivel the actual clip 90 degrees. This would allow you to clip it on to glasses.

I think you actually figured out a way to make this thing more nerdy than it already is. :) That said, I've been putting off ordering one literally for years now and I'll likely finally give in very soon.

I think you actually figured out a way to make this thing more nerdy than it already is. :)

LOL right on man. I'm 33 years old with a wife and 2 kids and I had to sneak this thing into my man cave hoping my wife wouldn't see it.

She did though. She caught me using the trackir and the x52. She said "oh look he thinks he's a f'n pilot now or something." and then said "what the hell is that think on your hat you dork, how old are you anyway"?:D:D

Thankfully, she didn't see me stuffing a new i7920 and mobo into my computer case as well.;)

lol... 40 with two kids here, and there's a reason my "cave of distraction" is in the basement away from everyone. :)

46...one kid stuck in the living room and the wife is getting more savi as the years go by!!

That reminds me the new version of TIR is not as susceptible to stray light as the older ones. The legs that are folded can be broken if you are ham fisted so please take care not to drop them or force them.

Oh and yes that little black thing at the top of the packaging IS the TIR :)

lol... 40 with two kids here, and there's a reason my "cave of distraction" is in the basement away from everyone. :)
Separate computer room is the way forward. Preferably too small for many others to fit in ;)

On another note given you spend a bit of time on both Arma2 and FSX TrackIR is going to transform your gaming experience for the better, though you might seriously think about upgrading those 8800GT OC2 x2 (SLI) as moving your head around forces your graphics card(s) to really work out at higher resolutions.

P

On another note given you spend a bit of time on both Arma2 and FSX TrackIR is going to transform your gaming experience for the better, though you might seriously think about upgrading those 8800GT OC2 x2 (SLI) as moving your head around forces your graphics card(s) to really work out at higher resolutions.

P

Oh great, another reason to spend more $ upgrading... thanks a lot:mad:

^^

Nobody is forcing you to upgrade. If you want the best experience you need the best equipment. If that concept has until now passed you by, then I accept your thanks for offering you some enlightenment.

P

If you want the best experience you need the best equipment.

Absolutely

I've experimented with Freetrack for head tracking, and while it worked ok the freeware-ness of it also provided for some lag between head move and result on screen whichof course made me ill. I really did like it, but I couldn't stomach (literally) the lag... which I understand isn't a problem with a true TrackIR so I'm very much leaning towards getting one. I have enough cash in my Paypal account right now so really it's just a few clicks away from getting ordered. Scary stuff.

As to video cards, the old 800GT SLI set up is doing very well for me actually and I've yet to find a game this system won't run maxed out (or in ArmA2's case effectively maxed out). From my research I'd get equivalent or possibly slightly inferior results out of a new GTX285 and really I don't have any interest in paying top dollar for a bleeding edge card these days. I'll hang on to these until I find a title or two where I have to knock the detail back then consider it. I don't think TrackIR will cause it any issues either, free-looking about with the mouse (double tap left-alt) is as smooth as silk at the settings in my sig.

TracikIR5... just clicks away. DAMNIT.

I bought one off ebay about a week ago and recieved it in 4 days from the time I ordered it.

I bought it from this guy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140320495261

However I cannot get used to it for the life of me.

For aircraft sure its great. But for infantry I find it very disorienting.

I turned off zoom which was the main problem, but it still is more difficult to fight as infantry with it than without.

How long does it take to get used to this thing?

Exactly the same as me.

Disabled the zoom in the options menu, it's under the keyboard controls, I just deleted the two TRackIR settings. (If only I'd worked that out back in ArmA 1).

And like you, I find it makes playing as infantry significantly less enjoyable.

Great for aircraft. Worth every penny if you are a flightsimmer. I still recommend disabling the zoom as soon as possible though.

I was the same until I tried Dslyecxi's TIR4 profile. Before that I would often pause the TIR when shooting/sniping as I found it a distraction. Using the profile it still takes a bit of getting used to at first as you do naturally move about when gaming, but for me the situational awareness was worth it.

I've found that the TIR5 beta 4 software works fine for me without amendment.

Bottom line it is a different way of playing so don't be surprised that it does take a little bit of adjustment before you get used to what you can do with it. I still find myself pressing the Q/E key to lean round corners for example even though I can do it more progressively and further with TIR, though I have cured myself of zooming in with the keyboard as doing so by leaning forward is much more effective and gradual.

Practise makes perfect I suppose...

P

I was the same until I tried Dslyecxi's TIR4 profile.

hi Darkman,

I must have missed the config in an earlier post...would you mind telling me what the settings are?

Thanks

The TrackerIR5 is something that really intrigues me. I would really like to purchase one because of its intuative design and judging by the video that was posted makes it look fun!

However, I am worried about my current problems while playing Arma 2.

I have a very decent computer that should be running this game flawlessly. However, it is anything but flawless. Its choppy at best. I think if I were to purchase a TrackerIR5 It would only increase my frustration that I currently have with Arma 2.

I have not tried using a seperate operating system for Arma 2, I plan to load up windows 7 RC as soon as I get home from work. If I see good results I will more than likely purchase a TrackerIR5.

For anyone whos curious, my setup is

Q9550 @ stock

Asus Formula Rampage

EVGA GTX 295 1.79GB @ stock

4x2GB OCZ Platinum PC8500

2x Seagate 500GB (Raid0)

2x Samsung DVD Burners

Corsair TX750

Vista Home Premium 64bit

Ordered one yesterday, should be here later this week. Now if I can just get it into the basement without the wife beating me to death with it.

Ordered one yesterday, should be here later this week. Now if I can just get it into the basement without the wife beating me to death with it.

I'm in the same boat Datter. Splurged on one after humming and hawing over it for 3 years now, likely get a frying pan over the head over it myself.

I'm in the same boat Datter. Splurged on one after humming and hawing over it for 3 years now, likely get a frying pan over the head over it myself.

heh, let me know how it goes. UNITED WE STAND!!!

Im going to purchase one next week, ive also been debating it but using ALT key and not really flying much/having flight sims and leaving them is now stupid. I need to get it, that way i can enjoy other sides of arma (like flying of course) much better than I have done so far.

I will probably purchase myself a Tia wife to compliment, so i can get her to beat me up with it, kind of like the idea of that :) :ftvsmilie2: :756:

Edited by mrcash2009

Rookies...just tell the wife you won it in a draw at your local Comp Shop. This works only once but is quite effective. They get so excited that you won something. Get a buddy to call all official like informing you of your big win. Better yet if the wife answers and you are not home. They tell her about the draw and you are in baby.