Sign in to follow this  
dslyecxi

TrackIR 5 ArmA2 Thread!

I suppose you could tie the head movement into your mouse cursor through the software and get it controlling your view that way (in GTA4 for instance or any game that had a built in mouse look). Not entirely sure that would be a good application of it, but it ought to work. I used to do things like that with other games back when I was using a lesser alternative.

TrackIR is primarily best for games in which you have a neck. ArmA2, most flight simulators etc. Chances are it will be supported in the upcoming Mechwarrior5 from what I've read. That sums it up in short too come to think of it, TrackIR is a neck simulator. Consider how often you use your real neck in life, then slap on a neck brace for a few weeks.

Necks, FTW.

THANKS!

And for my question on other games?

NaturalPoint started out with SmartNav which was designed to help those with dissabilaties to use computers. Some clever person at NP had a great idea what if we could use a cut down version of smartNav and use in in flight sims. From this we got TrackIR (I think that is how it went).

It took a while and a few versions later and now it has got to the point that if a flight sim does not support TIR then sales are hit because TIR users will not buy a sim if it does not use TIR. If the game does not support TIR the TIR users do not want the game. This started small for a few years when TIR was hardly known about and sales went by word of mouth, but things are starting to snow ball now.

When GTR, Live for Speed and rFactor incorporated TIR the same thing started for driving sims and some games is happening as it did for flight sims. Now ARMA and ARMA2 are pioneering for the fps as they did for flight sims and driving sims.

Over on the NP forums people ask for TIR to be added to a game then they approach the developer. The more people ask bot NP and a developer or publisher the more of a chance it might get added. I will put my hand up and say I am not a big ARMA fan I am enjoying ARMA2 more though. I bought both games because BIS had the foresight to add TIR to their game, so I bought both games. Back in the days when OFP and Ghost Recon were splitting players I was a Recon fan. For some reason I just never felt at home in a BIS game. All the time BIS incorporate TIR I will buy their games, I think that much of TIR.

I am not nor ever been an employee of NaturalPoint. I have just been one of those who bought Version1 because of 1 game and have been a big fan ever since.

Sorry for going OT for a bit.

That was exactly on topic Barred. Thanks it helped me a lot.

I know it must be a great experience, but is the fact that you don't have to press ALT, for one game, is worth 230$? From what I saw in this thread, people turn off a function because it doesn't do well in the game and they must bind a key to reset the view so there's still a key to use.

And can you answer the second part of my previous post?

What this?

GTA4 would be great with TrackIR but it's not in the list so it wouldn't work?

I'm not interested in this game, so I don't know. I use this with lots of games, so I get great value.

I would like to know how your TrackIR configuration for Arma 2 is.

The default hot keys are used by Arma 2, what keys do you use?

Also did you modify the default profile, changed any cures or do you use a different new profile? Is it possible to share the profile and settings.

Do you use all the axes, all the functions all the time or do you disable some things?

Thanks,

Markus

PS: I have the TrackIR 4 Pro with latest V4 software

I would like to know this also Dslyecxi, if you care share, I am new to using the IRtrack.. it would be great to see how you had things set up. What axis to turn off, what keys to bind, etc.

When I first use in Arma2, everything was moving very fast and I was getting disoriented where I could not tell which directions I was moving in and feeling sick, like motion sickness -any help will be greatly appreciated to understand and how to control your toon body and head movements with this device.

If you need my email address, be glad to give it.

I am using TrackIR4 pro, with beta 5.0 software.

thanks

I would like to know this also Dslyecxi, if you care share, I am new to using the IRtrack.. it would be great to see how you had things set up. What axis to turn off, what keys to bind, etc.

When I first use in Arma2, everything was moving very fast and I was getting disoriented where I could not tell which directions I was moving in and feeling sick, like motion sickness -any help will be greatly appreciated to understand and how to control your toon body and head movements with this device.

If you need my email address, be glad to give it.

I am using TrackIR4 pro, with beta 5.0 software.

thanks

My advice to you would be to play with the speed setting. Using someone else's profile is a bit hit and miss. With my TIR5 I only had to weak the speed down a little.

From what you say, it sounds like the scaling is too high for you. Simply slow it down with the speed slider.

Hope that helps.

blkjaq if you are getting some motion sickness give the one:one a try. This profile has no dead zone, but more importantly the speed of head movement is the same throughout it's range. Those with curves in the centre though they dampen small movements when looking at the monitor accelerate your in game movements as you rotate further round. I do not like the feeling of your view snapping around when my head is not.

To stop the zooming turn off the z axis.

To make your own custom profile:-

1 Make a copy of the basic profile type that you like (Default Smooth or One:one).

2 Make sure Axis is set to Yaw.

3 Using the Green Up arrow click a few times, centre your view and turn your head.

4 Repeat 3 untill you are moving your head at the requared speed.

5 Moving the 'Dots' in the horizontal axis that you can see in the graph will increase the ratio between the amount you move your head to that one in game.

6 Select Pitch in the Axis Box.

7 Repeat 3 and 4 until you can see fully up and down at the speed you want.

8 Select Roll in the Axis Box.

9 Repeat 3 and 4 until you can roll your head fully at the speed you require (you might have to use down for this one.)

You can do the same for the other 3 axis.

Once you have your degrees of movement sorted it is time to deal with the speed.

Up in Motion Control adjust the speed up and down so that the rate of turn is comfortable. (this is what causes the feeling of motion sickness.)

I leave smoothing to about 20-50.

I know these are not actual numbers but I think this will help you to comfortably set your own profiles.

Good Luck.

Edited by Barred
Was asleep whe I posted this last night.

What happens when you move your head then you move the mouse?

like holding alt, looking left/right and useing the KB to strafe.

It just works seemlessly. Often times I am looking in 1 direction while strafeing / moving mouse around.

The situational awareness that TrackIR offers is great, following a Fire Team leader in many clan Co-op missions, being able to scan the area as moving and then quickly turn to the other side to ensure I am still in postion / formation is worth every damm $ of it. I used to use Alt to do the say, BUT using comms / strafing and ALT looking does not always workout given lack of 3rd or 4th hand:D .

And this is just as Inf... as for flying .. its indespensable.

I also partake in online sim racing, and had been eyeballing a trackIR for them a bit ago, but resisted. After getting it for A2, and now using it in LFS / rFactor I feel wrong when I don't use it. Really helps for hitting tight apex's and passing moves (Touching is bad in Online Sim Racing).

All in all, I would have payed more for it even for just 1 game.

Edited by MPBR

What happens when you move your head then you move the mouse?

Same as when you move at the waist and move your head in real life. :yay:

---------- Post added at 05:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 PM ----------

like holding alt, looking left/right and useing the KB to strafe.

It just works seemlessly. Often times I am looking in 1 direction while strafeing / moving mouse around.

The situational awareness that TrackIR offers is great, following a Fire Team leader in many clan Co-op missions, being able to scan the area as moving and then quickly turn to the other side to ensure I am still in postion / formation is worth every damm $ of it. I used to use Alt to do the say, BUT using comms / strafing and ALT looking does not always workout given lack of 3rd or 4th hand:D .

And this is just as Inf... as for flying .. its indespensable.

I also partake in online sim racing, and had been eyeballing a trackIR for them a bit ago, but resisted. After getting it for A2, and now using it in LFS / rFactor I feel wrong when I don't use it. Really helps for hitting tight apex's and passing moves (Touching is bad in Online Sim Racing).

All in all, I would have payed more for it even for just 1 game.

Have you noticed that as you do a visual scan out of the cockpit it's almost like you have a super wide, curved monitor in front of your eye? It feels so natural that when you turn it off the feeling of restricted view is horrible. I pity people who have to fumble for the alt key, I really do.

The devide between those who used TIR and those who did not in IL2 got to the stage that TIR users were accused of cheating as they had an unfair advantage over those who used padlock. It did not matter that you could padlock a player before you could see them, that was just tough luck.

I really hope that ARMA2 does not go the way IL2 did. TIR just allows you a more natural immersion into a game that uses it.

As MPBR put it it "I feel wrong when I don't use it." That happens after a while :)

I am just glad newcomers to TIR are falling in love with it as I did way back in ver1.

.......I really hope that ARMA2 does not go the way IL2 did.

How so? Did IL2 stop supporting it or limit it's use? Or do you just mean the way the community viewed it as "cheating"?

Oh sorry IL2 still works a treat with TIR.

It was that there were some people who did not want to fork out for a unit and thought that others should not be allowed to use theirs because they did not have one. This was a few years ago though and attitudes had changed when I stopped playing online.

Now, as a rule TIR is seen as a must have in some circles.

Rgr all.

I've only had my TIR for a month, but I can't imagine flying without it now.

Rgr all.

I've only had my TIR for a month, but I can't imagine flying without it now.

Yeah I hate gaming with out my TIR.

All I have to figure out is how to get my Cougar and rudders working in ARMA2:yay:

The devide between those who used TIR and those who did not in IL2 got to the stage that TIR users were accused of cheating as they had an unfair advantage over those who used padlock. It did not matter that you could padlock a player before you could see them, that was just tough luck.

Yes, it got really stupid. In the end servers just started turning off padlock to get rid of all the jerks.

I'd love to get on of these, but unfortunately I just can't justify spending $150 on it.

I'd love to get on of these, but unfortunately I just can't justify spending $150 on it.

Would you pay 150 on a joystick? Imagine flying with a keyboard. Well, that's the same as flying without TIR.

No need for that either, there are alternatives. Someone probably knows more, but these two I've tried myself and found to be working:

www.free-track.net/english

http://www.cachya.com/

Trouble with free-track is that by the time you've bought a wii remote (for best performance) and all the bits for an LED setup, you've spend half the money on something that works less than half as well.

Not tried cachya though.

---------- Post added at 12:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 PM ----------

Yes, but its use requires a no-cd crack and it seems this discussion isnt allowed in these forums.

Use of what requires a crack?

FINCUAN wrote:-

"No need for that either, there are alternatives. Someone probably knows more, but these two I've tried myself and found to be working"

I have tried a couple of these "free" alternatives. None of them work half as well as TIR and they take up more recourses.

To give a comparison:-

It is like gluing a stick onto the ball of an old mouse and buying a joystick.

Edited by Barred

More like $220+