Sign in to follow this  
dslyecxi

TrackIR 5 ArmA2 Thread!

I tried the free alternatives in my years of putting off buying a TrackIR. I found them cumbersome, laggy (causing motion sickness) and prone to centering problems. You get what you pay for, and these things are free for a reason.

More like $220+

For those that are curious about such things, TrackIR 4 is currently selling for $99.95 while the new TrackIR 5 lists at $149.95. I'd encourage those outside of the US to explore our various international dealers, as well as other potential sources (like eBay). There are deals to be had. :D

Edited by NaturalPoint_Seth
adding link to int'l dealer page

I tried to put some bids on ebay for the track 4 pro and it ended up selling for the new price in America(I'm from the UK).

All the dealers in the UK that i have found are selling them for silly money.

RC Simulations i think are selling them for 150 for the basic track 5.

Guess I'm going to have to send to the US for one.

I cant understand why a great product like this is not freely avalible in the uk in some of the major stores.

Edited by mutters

I tried to put some bids on ebay for the track 4 pro and it ended up selling for the new price in America(I'm from the UK).

All the dealers in the UK that i have found are selling them for silly money.

RC Simulations i think are selling them for 150 for the basic track 5.

Guess I'm going to have to send to the US for one.

I cant understand why a great product like this is not freely avalible in the uk in some of the major stores.

Rc have the TIR5 and the Pro Clip for £143.00 incl. P&P

other potential sources (like eBay). There are deals to be had. :D

While I appreciate the honesty I don't understand why you say this. If I buy the TrackIR on eBay you won't get my money. It's not common to see a seller like that lol.

While I appreciate the honesty I don't understand why you say this. If I buy the TrackIR on eBay you won't get my money. It's not common to see a seller like that lol.

What makes you think that? Where do you think that eBay seller got his TIR products from?

For those late to the party, lets keep this thread about TrackIR, not any competing hardware/software out there.

What makes you think that? Where do you think that eBay seller got his TIR products from?

If Bob buys a TrackIR for $200 from the official website, then I buy a TrackIR for $200 from the official website. They make $400.

If Bob buys a TrackIR for $200 from the official website, then I buy Bob's TrackIR on eBay. They make $200...

I thought it was obvious.

Edited by Dreossk

If Bob buys a TrackIR for $200 from the official website, then I buy a TrackIR for $200 from the official website. They make $400.

If Bob buys a TrackIR for $200 from the official website, then I buy Bob's TrackIR on eBay. They make $200...

I thought it was obvious.

True!!

BUT! Bob has either bought his stock of TIR in which along the chain NaturalPoint would have made some money. Either that or Bob stole his stock which is a different animal.

Or Bob needs money and he sells his TrackIR... Which is what usually happens on eBay.

That is a possibility.

There are a lot of Bob's that pose as individuals but are businesses.

Even if Bob is selling his old one, he either

a) bought it at some point.

b) at some point or it was stolen.

IF he had it as a gift then see a) or b)

Or 'he' is a business then see a) or b)

if b) at any point in the normal purchasing route then see b)

Or Bob needs money and he sells his TrackIR... Which is what usually happens on eBay.

So having lost all the other aguments you started you now want to argue about the supply chain.

Anyway, you're wrong about that too. Naturalpoint will probably make the same profit selling bulk as they do selling one. Obviously there's a higher cost to selling one unit.

I never lost an argument because I never argued. I was asking questions and I got answers. It's important to ask question before buying such an expensive gadget. Most people understood and answered, like Barred. But others only want to be rude and troll, evading all questions and insulting, like you.

I never lost an argument because I never argued. I was asking questions and I got answers. It's important to ask question before buying such an expensive gadget. Most people understood and answered, like Barred. But others only want to be rude and troll, evading all questions and insulting, like you.

Here's one of your arguments against:

And since you always have to look at the screen when you move your head, it doesn't add realism. It adds a second way to control the game but it doesn't enhance realism. IRL when I move my head my eyes also move, and it's obviously impossible on a PC since you couldn't see the game...

You also misrepresented the price before moving on the critique the supply chain.

Not trying to incite anything with the eBay comment. Just wanted to help! :) Some people have expressed consternation at the price of TrackIRs outside of the US, so I want to make sure that prospective customers are aware of the fact that there are some good deals out there. I do recommend that people purchase through an official dealer, because you're likely to get much better support from them than an eBay reseller. But, I have seen new TrackIR 5s going for pretty decent prices on eBay, so if you're price sensitive, live outside the US, and don't mind taking on the risk, it's a possibility. There are new units on eBay, so it's safe to assume that they were acquired from us in the not-too-distant past.

FYI, RC Simulations is a great dealer with fair prices, fantastic support, and a strong loyalty to sim markets. Can't go wrong with them!

FYI, RC Simulations is a great dealer with fair prices, fantastic support, and a strong loyalty to sim markets. Can't go wrong with them!

I was not going to mention a particular dealer during all of this. I have mentioned I am biased about TIR and have been from the early days. Back in the days of TIR1 I never dreamed what it would become today with TIR5. One of the reasons (apart from what TIR gives you in game) I think that NaturalPoint is an example for great customer support. It does not matter if it is a dead system to a 'How too' their service has been exemplary over the years.

I think the same for RC Simulations. RCS is a small family run affair with out of their way technical help. I have heard Bob spend a couple of hours with a client to get their purchase running. I was privileged to visit there when I use to live in Bristol. (to the mods) I would not normally mention a dealer in public (it would be different in a PM) but Seth mentioned my supplier of anything flight sim to try and defuse what could damage and de-rail a great thread,

The Mods have shown great leeway. Please guys do not abuse the privilege either on purpose or not. I would not like to see this thread closed down, as there is some good information here for those thinking of buying to have bought a TIR and want a little help. I do not mind helping with TIR problems that can be sorted before Seth and co have to step in. This is my way of saying thank you for a great product and great service to their users.

Edited by Barred

Having problems here...Installed the 5er software for me Track IR 4 with Track Clip pro and it doesn't work in ArmA2. The green LED is on but the blue LED won't turn on as usual when i start the game. Hopefully when it will work ( with your help ) i don't have this recentering like i had parkinson.

Having problems here...Installed the 5er software for me Track IR 4 with Track Clip pro and it doesn't work in ArmA2. The green LED is on but the blue LED won't turn on as usual when i start the game. Hopefully when it will work ( with your help ) i don't have this recentering like i had parkinson.

What version of the TrackIR software are you running? (Look under "About TrackIR...")

Do you have the TrackClip PRO selected as the tracking target in the TrackIR software?

Have you run a games update in the TrackIR software?

Do you have TrackIR enabled in ArmA 2?

Did you just call someone a troll? Funniest post I've read all day. :uzi:

Let's cut out the spamming and sniping at each other and stick to the topic please :)

Hey guys,

Im using TIR for awhile now mostley with FSX. NOw ive bought ARMA II and yes! ARMA II rocks for sure!!

So the next step for me was to use my TIR with ARMA II. It works perfectly, especially in heli's, planes and track vehicles. But on foot its another story for me.

I try to explain my "problem".

As i stand still, i can look around by turning around my head. So lets say im looking at 90 degrees on my left shoulder. As im looking at that direction i want to walk towards that direction. But my body is still facing straight forward. So i press " w" and start walking straight forward but still looking at 90 degrees left. Now i want to walk towards the point im looking at. SO ive got to steer my body also 90 degrees to the left. So i move my mouse ( which is setup for turn left en right), to the left side and my body rotates towards the 90 degrees position. Now comes my problem: i dont know when my body faces exactly the same direction as my head does...

And i can tell you that becomes a problem when in the middle of a battle.

Ive never played ARMA 1 or OF. I always sticked to MOH en COD. But this...this is another cup of thea. This is the shooter i was always waiting for! It has en steep learning curve. Im still updating my skills at bootcamp before going into the heat of the battle.

Hopefully im clear about my problem description and somebody is able to help me. Either way with my key configuration or other helpful tips.