Sign in to follow this  
dslyecxi

TrackIR 5 ArmA2 Thread!

When I use the lean function with trackIR it doesnt lean much at all. Peeking around corners would be nice but now It seems rather useless. I know there is some settings in for this in the naturalpoint but I can't seem to get it right. Any suggestions? :)

When I use the lean function with trackIR it doesnt lean much at all. Peeking around corners would be nice but now It seems rather useless. I know there is some settings in for this in the naturalpoint but I can't seem to get it right. Any suggestions? :)

You need to increase the 'curve' of the X-axis in the software. Basically need to make it do more of a response quicker, so that you don't have to lean much to activate it.

On the Default profile the X axis is probably a little bit too unscaled out of the box for use with ArmA 2. You can tweak this easily in the TrackIR software. First, make a copy of the Default profile and name it whatever you want. Then, select the X axis on the Motion Adjustment curve for editing. Go to the green Curve arrows and bump the entire curve up (probably between 2-4 clicks should do it). That will scale up the X motion, so you should be able to lean without much trouble. If it's still not responsive enough, you can bump that curve up even more.

Hope this helps! You might also try the Smooth profile, which I believe has a more scaled X axis out of the box. But, it also has very light deadzones on pitch and yaw, and I prefer them to be heavier in a shooter like ArmA 2.

Edited by NaturalPoint_Seth
Ahhh, Dslyecxi beat me to it! :D

Rookies...just tell the wife you won it in a draw at your local Comp Shop. This works only once but is quite effective. They get so excited that you won something. Get a buddy to call all official like informing you of your big win. Better yet if the wife answers and you are not home. They tell her about the draw and you are in baby.

Good lies are the foundations of all happy marriages. Sorry for the OT :p

My trackir is working flawlessly now.

I don't know what changed, but when I upgraded my PC a few days ago I reinstalled everything and now on the trackir software screen when I move my head it seems to sort of snap to the left and right. I mean, its incremental but its very precise and it doesn't bob up and down like it used to.

I'm using the same settings as before as far as I can tell but it feels really nice now.

Still not using zoom though.

I had been looking around at NaturalPoint for a while, debating whether or not I should get some shiny new hardware. After recently getting back into IL-2, it seemed rather important, and what with the upcoming release of ArmA 2, I was even more tempted. However, I still wasn't sold, but I watched Dslyecxi's youtube video and it swayed me better than any advertising campaign could ever hope to. In-game footage wins every time.

So I picked up a TrackIR 5 a couple weeks before ArmA 2 was released in the U.S., and the only thing I don't like about it in ArmA 2 is the X axis. It's annoying when I'm jogging along, I shift an inch in my chair, and then I'm walking with no perceptible lean. The first couple of times I thought I had an odd glitch in the game. What I find my self mostly using would be pitch & yaw (of course), and zoom. I can't live without the zoom. I must have it.

It's also proven to be quite usefull in IL-2, but I think that's self explanatory. :rolleyes:

Edit: Oh, and I should probably add that after only 3 days in ArmA 2 with it, I was already trying to move my head just a little in real life and expecting my eyes to exagerate the shift. Should I be worried?

Edited by Shwat

Good lies are the foundations of all happy marriages. Sorry for the OT :p

Actually I'd say marrying someone you're compatible with is the foundation of all happy marriages, my wife's as much of a gamer as I am :)

hi Darkman,

I must have missed the config in an earlier post...would you mind telling me what the settings are?

Thanks

It was on Dslyecxi's site until recently. Reminder this is for TrackIR 4 software and hardware, NOT TIR5.

Open notepad, paste code into it and save as Arma.xml in Profiles folder. Select profile for Armed Assault and play.

I'm using TIR5 beta 4 software with my TIR4 now though and it's working fine in Arma2.

P

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>
<Profile>
 <Name>ArmA</Name>
 <Notes></Notes>
 <Smoothing>20</Smoothing>
 <TrueView>1</TrueView>  <MotionType>2</MotionType>
 <Override>0</Override>
 <Axis Type="0" Enabled="1" Inverted="0" CurveType="5">
   <CurveData p0="33" p1="29" p2="25" p3="19" p4="12" p5="7" p6="1" p7="1" p8="1" p9="7" p10="12" p11="19" p12="25" p13="29" p14="33"></CurveData>
 </Axis>
 <Axis Type="1" Enabled="1" Inverted="0" CurveType="5">
   <CurveData p0="33" p1="29" p2="25" p3="19" p4="12" p5="7" p6="1" p7="1" p8="1" p9="7" p10="12" p11="19" p12="25" p13="29" p14="33"></CurveData>
 </Axis>
 <Axis Type="2" Enabled="0" Inverted="0" CurveType="1">
   <CurveData p0="18" p1="18" p2="18" p3="15" p4="11" p5="8" p6="4" p7="1" p8="4" p9="8" p10="11" p11="15" p12="18" p13="18" p14="18"></CurveData>
 </Axis>
 <Axis Type="3" Enabled="1" Inverted="0" CurveType="5">
   <CurveData p0="77" p1="75" p2="70" p3="48" p4="1" p5="1" p6="1" p7="1" p8="1" p9="1" p10="1" p11="48" p12="70" p13="75" p14="77"></CurveData>
 </Axis>
 <Axis Type="4" Enabled="0" Inverted="0" CurveType="1">
   <CurveData p0="18" p1="18" p2="18" p3="15" p4="11" p5="8" p6="4" p7="1" p8="4" p9="8" p10="11" p11="15" p12="18" p13="18" p14="18"></CurveData>
 </Axis>
 <Axis Type="5" Enabled="0" Inverted="0" CurveType="1">
 </Axis>
 <HotKeys>
   <Key Type="0" virtualKeyCode="36" Enable="1" Toggle="1" Trap="1" Device="{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}"></Key>
   <Key Type="1" virtualKeyCode="33" Enable="1" Toggle="1" Trap="1" Device="{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}"></Key>
   <Key Type="2" virtualKeyCode="34" Enable="1" Toggle="1" Trap="1" Device="{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}"></Key>
 </HotKeys>
</Profile>

On the Default profile the X axis is probably a little bit too unscaled out of the box for use with ArmA 2. You can tweak this easily in the TrackIR software. First, make a copy of the Default profile and name it whatever you want. Then, select the X axis on the Motion Adjustment curve for editing. Go to the green Curve arrows and bump the entire curve up (probably between 2-4 clicks should do it). That will scale up the X motion, so you should be able to lean without much trouble. If it's still not responsive enough, you can bump that curve up even more.

Hope this helps! You might also try the Smooth profile, which I believe has a more scaled X axis out of the box. But, it also has very light deadzones on pitch and yaw, and I prefer them to be heavier in a shooter like ArmA 2.

Thanks a lot, I will try this. At first I tried to change the yaw but I could not get any good results but maybe the X is a better way to go :)

Actually I'd say marrying someone you're compatible with is the foundation of all happy marriages, my wife's as much of a gamer as I am :)

I prefer defined gender roles.

I play army games she plays with her dolls.

Don't worry, the TrackIR doesn't weight enough for it to cause too much damage

Yeah, but itll certainly damage trackIR. ;)

They get so excited that you won something. Get a buddy to call all official like informing you of your big win. Better yet if the wife answers and you are not home. They tell her about the draw and you are in baby.

Hehe nice tip :p

my wife's as much of a gamer as I am :)

You're a lucky guy, one in a million :D

Jumped on board and orderded myself a Tracker IR 5 with the clip.

Now to consider buying a Joystiq.. I do fine with mouse and keyboard though.. Hrm... not sure.

If you fly, a joystick is essential in my opinion. You just need to set your controls up properly.

There is no reason to double bind the turn and pedal commands. The "turn" commands are just an arcade style combination of pedal only at low speeds and bank at higher speeds, and having them bound together like that limits the range of control.

There is no reason to double bind the turn and pedal commands. The "turn" commands are just an arcade style combination of pedal only at low speeds and bank at higher speeds, and having them bound together like that limits the range of control.

That has not been my experience, I suggest you try it.

Is it possible to use the roll movement instead of the x axis to lean?

Is it possible to use the roll movement instead of the x axis to lean?

IIRC you simply rebind it in ArmA2 itself.

That has not been my experience, I suggest you try it.

While I obviously can't speak for your experience, I explained the way functions work in the game.

By the way, this is also explained in the manual, page 28:

Move Mouse Left/Right: Default Turn (Yaw or Rudder Left/Right, based on current speed)

Edited by kylebisme

A warning to people buying trackIR 5 from ebay seller yogicomp.

My package arrived with a broken track clip pro, and the seller yogicomp is claming no responsibility. The broken item must be replaced at my own expense. Also he is an incredibly rude person, abusing me and insulting me when I emailed him to notify him of the broken item. Do NOT buy from this seller!!!

Seller the human solution might be the better option, as they replace broken/defective items at their own expense, the way it ought to be.

The reason I bought from ebay and not naturalpoint via dslyecxi's link, is even with the discount the ebay sellers are offering it cheaper. A lot cheaper.

I'm with you on this one. I did try the double-bind but prefer the more realistic pedals for the tail rotor only configuration. More like FSX anyway.

Each to their own I suppose.

P

I was interested in purchashing the TIR5 but not as interested in buying the TrackClip.

Here's my question: will the TIR5 without the TrackClip still perform 6 degrees of view? I'd really only use it for A2 and LOMAC. Your answers are appreciated!

A warning to people buying trackIR 5 from ebay seller yogicomp.

My package arrived with a broken track clip pro, and the seller yogicomp is claming no responsibility. The broken item must be replaced at my own expense. Also he is an incredibly rude person, abusing me and insulting me when I emailed him to notify him of the broken item. Do NOT buy from this seller!!!

Seller the human solution might be the better option, as they replace broken/defective items at their own expense, the way it ought to be.

The reason I bought from ebay and not naturalpoint via dslyecxi's link, is even with the discount the ebay sellers are offering it cheaper. A lot cheaper.

That is really unfortunate to hear. I ordered from them on Sunday and just now awaiting arrival of my Trackir5 + clip. I hope it's all in one piece. :(

PS- Where are you located (generally) and how long did it take to get delivered?

I ordered mine yesterday directly from the website.

Ordered 7/14/09

Shipped 7/14/09

Estimated Delivery date 7/20/09

From Portland, Oregon to Grand Rapids, Michigan.

I was interested in purchashing the TIR5 but not as interested in buying the TrackClip.

Here's my question: will the TIR5 without the TrackClip still perform 6 degrees of view? I'd really only use it for A2 and LOMAC. Your answers are appreciated!

The TrackIR comes standard with the TrackClip, the TrackClip Pro is just an accesory item, and not required, you can use one or the other

TrackClip- http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/02-products/0-resources-products/TrackClip-black-isoRight.jpg

TrackClip Pro - http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/01-store/0-resources-store/item_trackclippro_colors.jpg

I ordered on Sunday, and was notified it was shipped the next morning. I don't really expect to see it arrive until next week, but I'm very hopeful I'll get lucky and see it this week. I think it's coming from Pennsylvania and I'm in Nova Scotia... which isn't that far. :P