Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

Guys just come into some money and looking at getting a core i7 tonight off ebuyer also an MSI X58 PRO iX58 Socket 1366 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard

Intel Core i7 920 D0 2.66GHz Socket 1366 8MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor

OCZ 4GB KIT (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600Mhz PC3 12800 GOLD SERIES DUAL CHANNEL KIT (8-8-8-26)

What do you guys think as im in a rush our these good products and is it worth the money

Also been looking at the phenom 955 what should i do is there much differance the phenom setup will cost abot 70 pounds less.

---------- Post added at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:15 PM ----------

To l8 just bought it

CPU is good, RAM is decent, Mobo could be better.

Just an update for the mid rangers out there

This is on the demo mind you.

AMD 7500 running stock at 2.7

2gb RAM single stick

ATI 4850 512mb

Most settings on high

Average 40 fps.

Just an update for the mid rangers out there

This is on the demo mind you.

AMD 7500 running stock at 2.7

2gb RAM single stick

ATI 4850 512mb

Most settings on high

Average 40 fps.

you might want to tell about your view distance and monitor resolution too

I will take some screens and post.

Fraps is the best I here, so I will use that and then upload to image shack.

I'm having some surprising results with my P-7811 gaming laptop (yes, laptop).

-9800m GTS

-2.26 Ghz Dual Core

-4 GB RAM

I can run the game at following settings:

-1440 X 900

-All on normal, except for AA and AF which are turned off

-View Distance 2550

Average FPS hangs around 25-30 , drops to 16-20 in situations involving many troops and objects in urban areas

Tested on the Demo.

Demo runs perfectly smooth at max settings (AA and AF both at 4, though) and 3D textures at 200% on:

C2D E8200 2.66ghz OC @ 3.93ghz

OCZ Platinum XTC 4G DDR2 1066mhz @ ~1200mhz

Asus P5E-VM-HDMI (not the best OC board)

XFX ATI HD4850 XXX 512mb

Resolution: 1920x1200

I don't really understand where the resource hogging stuff comes into play, but it sure isn't in the demo.

P.s. damn those explosions look nice :cool:

I just hope the North American release issues are sorted out soon so I can get my copy before the end of summer.

I just hope the North American release issues are sorted out soon so I can get my copy before the end of summer.

Agreed. Hopefully before the end of the month, rather....

Which of these is better?

AMD Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition Quad-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology

or

AMD Phenomâ„¢ II X3 720 Triple-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology AM3 & AM2+ support

Edited by Cobra Pilot

Tried the demo on:

AMD Athlon 3200+

1Gb Ram

7800 GTX

It's playable on low details and postprocess off, and filtrate at 87% :)

Which is better?

NVIDIA GeForce 9400GT 1GB

or

ATI Radeon HD 4870 1GB PCI-Express x16

By a mile, the 4870. Anything below a 9600 in that range is poor and not recommended for proper gaming. If you want an Nvidia card, go for a 260GTX upwards. The 4870 I can recommend though, it's a solid card.

Alright Right now i got this 500 Pwr Suply

And im thinking about Getting the GTX 260 (Min 500 Wats) << dangerous?

Or can i get the GTX 250 and be fine?

By a mile, the 4870. Anything below a 9600 in that range is poor and not recommended for proper gaming. If you want an Nvidia card, go for a 260GTX upwards. The 4870 I can recommend though, it's a solid card.

No, talk about BS, I have 2x 8800 GTS and they run arma 2 fine with high/normal settings, also the old 8800 Ultra is still kicking, in fact dare I say the 8800 is a bench mark card and will with stand the sands of time for another few years, yes I do.

Buy the 200 series if you want to just waste your money on cards that don't have drives set up for them completely yet, or get 8 or 9 series if you want something a bit cheaper and that's been tested in the field and works. I will always buy what's just become "old" as its more likely to work then something that hasn't been tested in the real world yet.

No, talk about BS, I have 2x 8800 GTS and they run arma 2 fine with high/normal settings, also the old 8800 Ultra is still kicking, in fact dare I say the 8800 is a bench mark card and will with stand the sands of time for another few years, yes I do.

Buy the 200 series if you want to just waste your money on cards that don't have drives set up for them completely yet, or get 8 or 9 series if you want something a bit cheaper and that's been tested in the field and works. I will always buy what's just become "old" as its more likely to work then something that hasn't been tested in the real world yet.

After watching 2 8800GTX die 1 month apart from heat exhaustion from 2.5 yrs of 145f (bottom) 168f (top) which Nvidia claimed to be normal for SLI rigs, I will have to disagree with Booga concerning their lenght of service. They knew of this overheating issue with the/their 8800GTX.

Asus upgraded me with the much cooler running 260's, and somehow sent me a 285 as some sort of bonus or goof on their end. And yes, they have drivers that work for all OS's.

If Splinterblood goes with the 200 series or the ATI, I would get a lil stronger PSU than 500w, and make sure it has 2 6pin PCI-E power connectors.

Just upgrade my pc all installed and working fine i uprgaded my mobo ram and cpu to a core i7 920 just ran arma mark and didnt see much improvement from my dual core athlon 6000+ i got just over 3000 where my athlon would get around 2400 anyone no what could be wrong i would excpect it to be higher than this.

@BigBear,

Shame to hear that you cards died, but nice to hear you had a free awesome upgrade.

However there is a big difference between the 8800GTX and the 8800GTS, the GTX uses the G92 chip which is a bit faster but struggles under heat, where as the GTS has the G80 chip and has been seen going past temps of 75C (168F). So I still say that the 8800GTS (S for Sparkle) is still one of the best Nividia cards on the market, lacking a bit in the memory department but I think there is a 640 version too :)

@Ubascouser,

If you haven't already, have a look at this thread.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=73947

It definitely helped me setting up Arma 2 to run how it should on my pc. :)

Edited by Booga

Im juts curious as to what graphical settings ppl are playing on for best performance , and what there system specs are.

I think its good to have a thread where ppl can see what settings other ppl with similar systems are using.

Im currently running everthing on high apart from post processing which is disabled and NO AA.

My view distance is at 3000 and im getting about 30 - 40fps.

My system specs are:

C2Q Q6600 overclocked to 3Ghz

Sapphire HD4870 X2

4Gb DDR 2 RAM

All on normal and view distance at 1800 on a 1680 resolution.

I can't remember my pc specs though. I think it's a quad something or other, 4 gigs of ram and a Geforce 285 or 295 GTTXSZSDGSGS card that was really expensive and huge...

Tried the demo on:

AMD Athlon 3200+

1Gb Ram

7800 GTX

It's playable on low details and postprocess off, and filtrate at 87% :)

Really? Any particular settings you are using, like maxmem or anything?

I'm trying to get it to run on a :

Amd3500+

3gb

7800gs (Agp)

winxp

No joy though, its a stuttering mess on all low settings and looks horrendous.

Is your 7800gtx PCI-e or AGP and how much ram does it have?

I'm running all high and normal, view distance 4000, post processing high, shadows high, ground detail high, AA low, filtering 100%, AAF high, objects high.

Average about 50fps, highest is 75fps, seems to be due to vsync that i cant configure, and lowest of about 20 when i'm making 1700 AI battle videos :P

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200

Will that run it?

AMD X2 +7750 2.8 ghz

4GB DDR2 800mhz ram

and now... HD4350

how will this rig run it? cause the gfx card kinda sucks..

AMD X2 +7750 2.8 ghz

4GB DDR2 800mhz ram

and now... HD4350

how will this rig run it? cause the gfx card kinda sucks..

I have the same processor and 2gb less of RAM, but i have a 4850 and the game (demo at least) runs wonderfully even with lots of units, so I imagine your system should be ok on the processor intensive things.

I like how people are saying "I'm running all high settings" and forgets to mention what resolution they play with... It has huge impact on performance.

My system:

Q9550

3GB ram

4870x2

I have 24 inch monitor with resolution 1920x1200 but if i want Arma to look good i'm forced to use 1680 resolution... :S