Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

I am truly wanting a laptop (deploying; that's why) that can run Arma II, but at the same time isn't crazy expensive. I was curious if some of you more knowledgeable tech guys could eye this one and let me know what you think:

ASUS G71GX-RX05

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo (P8700) at 2.53 Ghz

RAM: 6 GB DDR2

HDD: 500GB 7200RPM

GPU: GeForce GTX 260M, 1 GB GDDR3

Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220707

Thank you!

HAHA laugh at the new guy, all I have been doing is researching. So I know I've got it right

Alright I've settled on this configuration

I7-950 3.06Ghz

Intel DX58SO

6Gb DDR3 Tri Channel Memory

Sapphire HD 5970 2Gb GPU

Soundblaster X-fi Titanium Soundcard

850W Kingwin PSU

1 TB Barracuda HDD

24x LG DVD/double layer RW

I am truly wanting a laptop (deploying; that's why) that can run Arma II, but at the same time isn't crazy expensive. I was curious if some of you more knowledgeable tech guys could eye this one and let me know what you think:

ASUS G71GX-RX05

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo (P8700) at 2.53 Ghz

RAM: 6 GB DDR2

HDD: 500GB 7200RPM

GPU: GeForce GTX 260M, 1 GB GDDR3

Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220707

Thank you!

That's a pretty fast gpu for an $800 laptop. Cpu looks ok as well, even a fast harddisk. Of course you have the new core i(3/5/7) laptops but those will cost a lot more. I think this is a good deal. Should run arma 2 well on slightly below normal settings

---------- Post added at 12:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 AM ----------

HAHA laugh at the new guy, all I have been doing is researching. So I know I've got it right

I7-950 3.06Ghz

Intel DX58SO

Sapphire HD 5970 2Gb GPU

850W Kingwin PSU

1 TB Barracuda HDD

If you want to spend even more money you could get another 6 GB ram and run the game from a ramdisk.

I dont really see the point of an i7-950, it's twice as expensive as an i7-930 and not even 10% faster. If you want processor performance I suggest you look into overclocking an i7-930.

I7-950 3.06Ghz

Intel DX58SO

Sapphire HD 5970 2Gb GPU

850W Kingwin PSU

1 TB Barracuda HDD

Thanks for the help.

I am not all that computer savy. Would appreciate if someone could help me out..

S41

Thanks for the help.

I am not all that computer savy. Would appreciate if someone could help me out..

S41

What's your budget? I could possibly help, unless of course you're happy with those specs.

That's a pretty fast gpu for an $800 laptop. Cpu looks ok as well, even a fast harddisk. Of course you have the new core i(3/5/7) laptops but those will cost a lot more. I think this is a good deal. Should run arma 2 well on slightly below normal settings

Outstanding. Thank you! I've needed someone that knows this stuff to "reassure" me.

If you want to spend even more money you could get another 6 GB ram and run the game from a ramdisk.

I dont really see the point of an i7-950, it's twice as expensive as an i7-930 and not even 10% faster. If you want processor performance I suggest you look into overclocking an i7-930.

Thanks for the advice, but I'm not overclocking anything for a while. I was hoping I can get a decent framerate on very high settings with this.

The Dxd8so comes with optimizing software to do some lite overclocking I guess. I'm brand spanking noob to this, slow and easy she goes

Thanks for the advice, but I'm not overclocking anything for a while. I was hoping I can get a decent framerate on very high settings with this.

The Dxd8so comes with optimizing software to do some lite overclocking I guess. I'm brand spanking noob to this, slow and easy she goes

You're not going to notice the difference between a 950 and and a 930. I'm not a big fan of overclocking software, it's better to do it in the bios so you have more control over what you're doing.

Also a single 5870 is not that much slower then a 5970, the 5970 uses crossfire (2 gpu's, 5870's on a slower speed) to get more frames and scaling is almost never near 100%. A single gpu is a more elegant solution imo, If you want more performance you can always put another 5870 in when prices go down and crossfire it yourself.

What's your budget? I could possibly help, unless of course you're happy with those specs.

I have a budget of 300-400$. However, I would like to verify where to find my specs on my PC. I can't seem to find anywhere that tells me..:o

Thanks,

S41

I have a problem, do you think it's worth it upgrading from an AM3 2.6 ghz to an AM3 3.4?

I've currently got it overclocked from 2.6 to 3.3 and stable with a stock cooler but ... you know ... I want more :D Trying to either justify spending the extra 240 AUD or convince myself it's a bad idea, so .... what do you all think?

When I overclocked I pretty much noticed an FPS increase proportional to the overclock so I'm thinking that if I got a 3.4 and OCed to 4 or above I should be sailing smooth into Chernorgorsk if you know what I mean :)

I have a problem, do you think it's worth it upgrading from an AM3 2.6 ghz to an AM3 3.4?

I've currently got it overclocked from 2.6 to 3.3 and stable with a stock cooler but ... you know ... I want more :D Trying to either justify spending the extra 240 AUD or convince myself it's a bad idea, so .... what do you all think?

When I overclocked I pretty much noticed an FPS increase proportional to the overclock so I'm thinking that if I got a 3.4 and OCed to 4 or above I should be sailing smooth into Chernorgorsk if you know what I mean :)

With a new processor you'll probably get 3.8 Ghz? so your cpu will be (3800-3300)/3300 = 15% faster. I doubt it's worth it, unless you are now on an athlon 2 and are moving to a phenom 2. If you want to buy something I'd recommend a good aftermarket cooler like the mugen 2.

You're not going to notice the difference between a 950 and and a 930. I'm not a big fan of overclocking software, it's better to do it in the bios so you have more control over what you're doing.

Also a single 5870 is not that much slower then a 5970, the 5970 uses crossfire (2 gpu's, 5870's on a slower speed) to get more frames and scaling is almost never near 100%. A single gpu is a more elegant solution imo, If you want more performance you can always put another 5870 in when prices go down and crossfire it yourself.

thanks

I was forward thinking with the 5970...I figured when the pricing drops I'll crossfire that. Plus they say it's severely underclocked (750Mhz), and it's capable of 1000Mhz/15000Mhz...

Overclocking sounds like something I will have to do, but right now I just want to get off the ground with this thing.

right now the hardest part I'm dealing with is scoring ANY HD 5970... I found a store in canada but they don't ship to America:j:

I have a budget of 300-400$.

You can see my specs in my sig. And the videocard is 4850. The CPU is Phenom II X2 550 BE turned Phenom II X4 "B50". All of that costs some $500 or even less and I run AA2 @ 2.5 km view distance (which is more than enough) with everything maxed out but grass (and only because it's hard to see stuff through it lying down) at 1680x1050 with 2x MSAA and it runs fine. The non-critical, although noticeable framerate drop happens only when looking through forest into a town - two most laggiest BIS things.

So pump up your budget a little and you will have a good enough PC to run AA2. In fact it is more optimized than AA1 (this system runs Sahrani in AA2 at the same settings with 10km viewdistance at 40 FPS avg now try doing that in AA1)

Edited by metalcraze

My box is as follows:

Pentium D 2.66

2GB ram

nvidia 7800gtx

I play a lot of project reality and it seems a lot of people have moved to this. I dont really have the money right now to update my rig. Is it worth buying the game with my current setup?

Thanks

I would say you ought to stick to PR if it's still giving you your kicks and move to ArmA 2 when it's time to upgrade.

haha its been time to upgrade for about a year now! just got too much going on right now. will have to see if i can find a few side jobs to fund the new rig i guess! Thanks for the post

you really cant play this game well on the minimum specs. I did for a while, but it was only tolerable because I enjoyed the game that much. so for a new comer who is unfamiliar with arma games I would hold off until you have a proper machine

i see video cards have come down in price quite a bit. what is holding me back from having decent graphics? is it more of a CPU or GPU hog? a decent graphics card can be had for about $150. if i did a cpu upgrade, i would also be getting a new motherboard and memory so that would be a bit pricey up front. Would upgrading the video card get me by with decent graphics until i have the funding for the CPU? or should i just wait and do it all at once?

A2 is demanding on both CPU and GPU, more so than any other game I know. Both have to be pretty modern or your game will be slow.

This my new rig :

AMD Phenom II x4 965, ATI Radeon 5850 1 GB, 4 GB Ram

I will buy the game on Monday. Can I run the game with good FPS on high settings?

Im running on a 2.5ghz dual core a64 with 3gig of ram with a gtx260, my game is massively cpu restricted and Im lucky to get more than 15fps in combat. Changing from a 9600gt increased fps but not hugely as the cpu is bottlenecking, it has allowed me to run everything on high though :)

Upgrading to a 4ghz i3 530 should see it good.

You can see my specs in my sig. And the videocard is 4850. The CPU is Phenom II X2 550 BE turned Phenom II X4 "B50". All of that costs some $500 or even less and I run AA2 @ 2.5 km view distance (which is more than enough) with everything maxed out but grass (and only because it's hard to see stuff through it lying down) at 1680x1050 with 2x MSAA and it runs fine. The non-critical, although noticeable framerate drop happens only when looking through forest into a town - two most laggiest BIS things.

So pump up your budget a little and you will have a good enough PC to run AA2. In fact it is more optimized than AA1 (this system runs Sahrani in AA2 at the same settings with 10km viewdistance at 40 FPS avg now try doing that in AA1)

Thanks Metalcraze and Celery.

Sure I can probably go to around 430, would you be able to help me choose the right PC? And, can these come as laptops for the same price range?

Thanks again guys

S41

Can you post your benchmark results? I'm having trouble believeing you are getting great performance with any kind of AA and view distance at 2500km on that machine. I have a 965 BE @stock 3.4 and HD5770 @ 850 core, 1100 memory(I think) and AA just kills chernarus. Afghani and smaller mod maps are one thing, but running AA on chernarus with that view distance kills my fps.

Okay, benchmark 1 with everything on high except terrain and no AA or post process with the view distance at 1200 I got 44 fps average.

Benchmark 1 with everything on high except terrain, AA on normal, no post process and view distance at 2500 I got 20 fps average.

1920x1080 btw.

Intel® Core™i5 Processor i5-750 (2.66GHz) 8MB Cache

Memory (RAM)

8GB CORSAIR DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz - LIFETIME WARRANTY!

Motherboard

ASUS® P7H57D-V EVO: DDR3, 6 x USB 3.0, 2 x PCI, 2 x PCI-Ex 2.0

Operating System

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)

USB Options

8 x USB 2.0 PORTS (6 REAR + 2 FRONT) AS STANDARD

Memory - 1st Hard Disk

250GB SERIAL ATA 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (7,200rpm)

2nd Hard Disk

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive

22x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM

2nd DVD/BLU-RAY Drive

Graphics Card

1GB ATI RADEON™ HD 5830 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11

Sound Card

ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Network Facilities

ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT

Modem

NONE, I WILL BE USING BROADBAND

Floppy Disk Driv

NONE

Memory Card Reader

INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (READS XD, MS, CF, SD, etc)

Case

STYLISH PIANO BLACK FUSION CASE inc. 2 FRONT USB

Power Supply & Case Cooling

450W Quiet Dual Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan (£25)

Processor Cooling

SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE CPU COOLER (£19)

Firewire & Video Editing

2 x IEEE 1394a FIREWIRE PORTS (1 onboard, 1 at back panel)

TV Card

NONE

How will this do with all the mods etc.?

Edited by peter-evo

I would go for a little bit better PSU and would also add a second HD(very useful for ArmA2) ,that way it should be fine.