Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

hi

would a AMD Phenom™ II X4 820 Quad Core processor 2.8 GHz and a ATI Radeon® HD5670 run arma2 ok?

james

Edited by james (J)

hi

would a AMD Phenom™ II X4 820 Quad Core processor 2.8 GHz and a ATI Radeon® HD5670 run arma2 ok?

james

Should run ArmA2 just fine :)

Thank you Placebo i already tought i was looking in the wrong direction for this.

Now normaly it would work because i have maxed out above the maximum system requirments for Arma II as i can see on the site of Arma self but i had something maybe pll that already playing this would have a diferent point of view ;-) as of experience of the players out there now.

patch advice noted downloading and putting it on my flash drive :p now it is waiting on my desktop ......

And a good mod to go with this game and im good to go :D

hey in addition what i put out before this is the sytem i gonna run arma II on and also OFP old content ofc.

case: Antec NSK6580 met 430W voeding

mainboard: MSI DKA790GX Platinum

processor: AMD Phenom II X4 925 quadcore

memory: 4 GB Corsair XMS-2 6400 unbuffered

harddisk: Western Digital 500GB SATA II Black Edition

dvd RR: Samsung SH-S222A SATA II

vga: MSI Nvidia 9500GT 1Gb vram

extras:

Screen: Iiyama E2208HDS-B2 22"

Mouse: Logitech G5

now its gonna be a little more money because i also asked for extra software bisides my XP that i gonna use as a platform because of SO many reasons..... have stil other interests then only ofp and arma :D

website building like flash etc and ADOBE CREATIVE SUITE 4 DESIGN PREMIUM dont comes cheap .....

i hope this system platform is gonna cut it for arma II

hey in addition what i put out before this is the sytem i gonna run arma II on and also OFP old content ofc.

case: Antec NSK6580 met 430W voeding

mainboard: MSI DKA790GX Platinum

processor: AMD Phenom II X4 925 quadcore

memory: 4 GB Corsair XMS-2 6400 unbuffered

harddisk: Western Digital 500GB SATA II Black Edition

dvd RR: Samsung SH-S222A SATA II

vga: MSI Nvidia 9500GT 1Gb vram

extras:

Screen: Iiyama E2208HDS-B2 22"

Mouse: Logitech G5

now its gonna be a little more money because i also asked for extra software bisides my XP that i gonna use as a platform because of SO many reasons..... have stil other interests then only ofp and arma :D

website building like flash etc and ADOBE CREATIVE SUITE 4 DESIGN PREMIUM dont comes cheap .....

i hope this system platform is gonna cut it for arma II

You're buying secondhand? otherwise you're better off with a ddr3 system, only 10 euro's more expensive and you'll be able to recycle the ram if you ever decide to get a new motherboard (maybe this one breaks, you never know). As for the videocard,9500GT is too low for arma 2 I recommend at least a 5750 or if you've got 30 euros more a 5770

is this also good? *** Phenom II X2 545 AM3 3.0GHZ 7MB 45NM 80W 4000MHZ Pib

Should be fine, you can get the Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition for only 3 euros more where I live. Black editions have a free processor multiplier so you can overclock much more easily.

You're buying secondhand? otherwise you're better off with a ddr3 system, only 10 euro's more expensive and you'll be able to recycle the ram if you ever decide to get a new motherboard (maybe this one breaks, you never know). As for the videocard,9500GT is too low for arma 2 I recommend at least a 5750 or if you've got 30 euros more a 5770

well i wil test it first i guess the pc is already finisched and will be delivered the day after tomorow, normaly on system performance the video card should be fine on normal settings if i go to the arma site im way over the minimum recuirments so its kind of od that the video card is to low for arma II, if it is like you say it would be a bummer but i guess i have waranty :p the pc is build for arma II if the video card dusnt max out the performance that i need i just complain and get a new one :D so it is a win win situation ;)

in adition a looked for some youtubes on the 9500Gt and they were all going well exept for one but he putted like hole the map full of soldiers and tanks and explosions and then he began to compalin about the lagg on max settings with 1 gig les then me and on a tri core "lal" he forgot to say that the normal game worked smooth at first but he asked to mutch of hes video card at once if i look to it.

i never play on max settings anyways i will neather with ofp on my new pc it heats up your video driver and is not adviceble to anyone if you ask me my advice is to play on mid settings at all times or if you haeve realy a good card 3 kwarters at max but never max it out, you thin out your video cards life time for the have of it. In any case i hope it performs at least as the 4 videos i saw just now because you made me woried after all ^^

thanks for the advice ....

Edited by KBourne

how well will this run arma 2? Phenom II X2 550 Blk Ed, HD4830 512MB DDR3 Dual DVI / TVO PCI-Express Graphics Card, Kingston ValueRAM 2 GB 1333MHz DDR3 DIMM Desktop Memory KVR1333D3N9/2GB, ASRock AM3 processors AMD 770-140W 4DDR3/ATI CrossFireX motherboard M3A770DE, 650 Watt ATX12V V2.2 Psu. so is all of this the PSU, motherboard, graphics card, CPU, and RAM listed? also what am i missing? i know i need a case but what else do i need? also how well will this run arma 2?

how well will this run arma 2? Phenom II X2 550 Blk Ed, HD4830 512MB DDR3 Dual DVI / TVO PCI-Express Graphics Card, Kingston ValueRAM 2 GB 1333MHz DDR3 DIMM Desktop Memory KVR1333D3N9/2GB, ASRock AM3 processors AMD 770-140W 4DDR3/ATI CrossFireX motherboard M3A770DE, 650 Watt ATX12V V2.2 Psu. so is all of this the PSU, motherboard, graphics card, CPU, and RAM listed? also what am i missing? i know i need a case but what else do i need? also how well will this run arma 2?

Maybe an operating system and a harddisk, or you could use those of an old computer. And please press enter after you type a component.

that link isnt working for me. i type in the question but it wont take me to the results.

---------- Post added at 05:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:33 PM ----------

oh wait you mean something like windows 7?

yup, if you have an old windows xp that will work too. Windows seven (and even vista, provided you have a fast machine) is a bit nicer though, even if arma2 performance is a bit better on xp.

Then maybe you dont even need to reinstall, put the harddisk in new pc and try to start, if it doesnt work start from the cd and try to repair, otherwise just install from the cd.

For best performance you should always do a clean install.

Hi All

In recent months I have updated my system with RAMDisk, SSD and I-RAM (as per sig below), and have upgraded my GPU. I noticed that I still get a slow loading of textures, even close up, though typically there is no HDD activity since most of the game is on these faster access media. Though it was'nt a scientific measure, I also tried overclocking the graphics card but this did not help things and did not increase framerate (when using FRAPs).

So, my conclusion is that the CPU is currently the limiting factor, which I tried to verify by using the logging feature in Core Temp. It shows both E5200 cores are loaded at over 90% most of the time when playing (with or without AI), and core0 hits 100% from time to time (typically when initially loading levels, which is when the textures are mainly slow to appear).

So I have two questions - is core temp an accurate measure of CPU load, and secondly, would there be much benefit in a CPU upgrade to E8400 or Q9550 (ie without moving to a new platform) ? Several posts suggest that there is a single AI thread in Arma2 which cannot be split across cores, and so I believe is tying up one whole core in my machine, with the other doing the rest of the work but clearly both are struggling in the system as it stands and leading to the slow loading of textures and low performance on maps with a lot going on. I know it is not guaranteed that another CPU could clock to 3.7Ghz, but I would be hopeful to get close and that the additional cores (in a quad) and cache might bring some additional performance.

Hi All

So I have two questions - is core temp an accurate measure of CPU load, and secondly, would there be much benefit in a CPU upgrade to E8400 or Q9550 (ie without moving to a new platform) ? Several posts suggest that there is a single AI thread in Arma2 which cannot be split across cores, and so I believe is tying up one whole core in my machine, with the other doing the rest of the work but clearly both are struggling in the system as it stands and leading to the slow loading of textures and low performance on maps with a lot going on. I know it is not guaranteed that another CPU could clock to 3.7Ghz, but I would be hopeful to get close and that the additional cores (in a quad) and cache might bring some additional performance.

Your motherboard doesn't support the E8400 or the Q9550 anyway, the fastest cpu you could get is probably the q6600 (I have seen them go for 70 euro's). The q6600 has a lower multiplier (9 vs your 12.5). on 965 systems the fsb is probably the limiting factor when clocking so lower your multiplier and see how high you can clock your fsb without losing stability.

Also, increasing your fsb with your current cpu will probably get you a big perfomance increase since you have only 2MB cache on the cpu (the q6600 has 2x4=8MB).

I upgraded my e6750@400x8 to a q6600 (first at 400x7) and I thought I noticed an improvement especially in cities, but then again maybe I just wanted to see it. When I ran arma2 and looked at cpu loads I regularly see it at 80-85% load, so I guess it's being used.

Hi

Thanks - there is unofficial BIOS support for E8x00 and Quad CPUs on the board (I have rev 3,3 of the board). I have done a lot of work on the fsb and 3.7Ghz is the best I can get at the moment with any kind of stability (not bad on a 2.4GHz stock CPU but I am greedy).

That's with the 12.5 multi? so about 300 Mhz fsb? My old p35 Asus P5K did 450Mhz Fsb without problems, I now have a P5E (cost me 23,50 euro's+shipping, not bad for a high-end X38 board). It also runs high fsb's without probs.

But if you want to upgrade the cpu I recommend you save up a bit and upgrade well, to P55 i5-750 or even X58.

Edited by Leon86

Yes, using the 12.5. I also have an Asus P5Q Pro board on the shelf which I could use, so might look to move to the P45 chipset in case that helps.

Thanks for the input though - would love to go to a newer platform but there is not enough money in the mattress yet.

DDR2-800 is often stable at 450 Mhz, with the p5q pro you could probably run your cpu at 450*8. (my e6750 even did that if I put the vcore high enough, with low vcore 450*6 was still ok). That'll get you 1.5 times the memory bandwith, great for a processor with only 2MB of cache memory.

Baught a corsair 650W psu and a GTX275 today and the FPS compared to my earlier GTS8800 is - insane! :)

Cant wait until next month when i add i7 930, 6gb 1600mhz DDR3, WD Blacks and the P6T Deluxe V2 mobo. If it boosts the same way just adding this gfx card did im in for le grand treat-o. :D

PS. The fan on this card @ 100% is forcing me to wear headphones while playing. Sounds like a nuclear power plant. :D

PS. The fan on this card @ 100% is forcing me to wear headphones while playing. Sounds like a nuclear power plant. :D

Wasn't there a driver recently that fixed that? :D