Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

From what I read on forums they seem quite reliable and in the rare cases they do have problems WD has great service (sending new harddisks and giving you 30 days to send yours).

I just bought a 1TB spinpoint, quite a bit of noise and runs feels pretty hot. Ah well, it was only 49 euro's. and s.m.a.r.t. status is still good.

Okay, good. It was a good choice then.

PS: Is it true that overclocking your processor is going to decrease it's life span dramatically? I've been told this by my friend earlier today; Generally I'll still overclock it, but at least for the duration of filming in ArmA 2, should I keep it underclocked back to stock speed when I'm not filming?

Edited by Litos

Nah its not true. I have my Q6600 overclocked at 3.4 for over a year maybe more and it runs without problems.

Okay, good. It was a good choice then.

PS: Is it true that overclocking your processor is going to decrease it's life span dramatically? I've been told this by my friend earlier today; Generally I'll still overclock it, but at least for the duration of filming in ArmA 2, should I keep it underclocked back to stock speed when I'm not filming?

Overclocking can reduce the life of your processor if it is not properly cooled/maintained. Provided you take the proper precautions and have a basic idea of what you are doing, everything should be fine.

CPU : Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 (2.93GHz, 3MB Cache, 1066MHz FSB)

MEMORY : 4GB DDR2 (2 x 2GB)

HARD DRIVE : 640GB 7200rpm

GRAPHICS : ATI HD4350 (512MB)

OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

hows that for 836.44 aussie dollars

---------- Post added at 03:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 PM ----------

oh and incase it runs out of stock by end of the year (when I am buying) how much would it cost to build a pc like this (in aussie dollars)

---------- Post added at 05:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 PM ----------

I also found a computer with AMD 240 Athlon II Dual Core, NVIDIA GT GeForce 220 1Gb GDDR3, 2GB RAM that my mate is willing to sell to me for under $500 dollars, i know its not as good but will this run Arma 2 on low settings? i will be able to buy this almost right away and will be able to upgrade by xmas and will probably get a better card then but for now is it worth it. I am not fussed on gfx, i couldn't give a rats bum if it was at the same standard as ofp:cwc gfx.

Edited by Tom1

can someone please answer my question before i waste money

CPU : Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 (2.93GHz, 3MB Cache, 1066MHz FSB)

MEMORY : 4GB DDR2 (2 x 2GB)

HARD DRIVE : 640GB 7200rpm

GRAPHICS : ATI HD4350 (512MB)

OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

hows that for 836.44 aussie dollars

---------- Post added at 03:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 PM ----------

oh and incase it runs out of stock by end of the year (when I am buying) how much would it cost to build a pc like this (in aussie dollars)

---------- Post added at 05:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 PM ----------

I also found a computer with AMD 240 Athlon II Dual Core, NVIDIA GT GeForce 220 1Gb GDDR3, 2GB RAM that my mate is willing to sell to me for under $500 dollars, i know its not as good but will this run Arma 2 on low settings? i will be able to buy this almost right away and will be able to upgrade by xmas and will probably get a better card then but for now is it worth it. I am not fussed on gfx, i couldn't give a rats bum if it was at the same standard as ofp:cwc gfx.

Those systems are pretty lightweight, as always I'll say get an i5-750 or a PhenomII triple/quadcore and a decent videocard like a 5770. If you want to save money try to upgrade an existing computer, then you dont have to pay for the case, dvd, harddisk, operating system and maybe psu.

Here someone actually ran a benchmark with a 6.34 Ghz gulftown, crazy! Those are a lot of 3Dmarks. I only manage 13000 or so.

Here someone actually ran a benchmark with a 6.34 Ghz gulftown, crazy! Those are a lot of 3Dmarks. I only manage 13000 or so.

I get ~29K at stock clocks in Vantage. I haven't run 2006 for ages.

I was looking some more at hwbot, there are 2 gulftowns on 5.5Ghz on phase change cooling, and 5Ghz:eek: on air cooling.

edit: the i5 dualcores are running at 5.5 Ghz on air and 7 Ghz ln2.

Edited by Leon86

I was looking some more at hwbot, there are 2 gulftowns on 5.5Ghz on phase change cooling, and 5Ghz:eek: on air cooling.

edit: the i5 dualcores are running at 5.5 Ghz on air and 7 Ghz ln2.

They OC very well :)

I get ~29K at stock clocks in Vantage. I haven't run 2006 for ages.

I just ran that for the first time, got 8.5k :D (and I was even cheating by leaving physx on)

I refuse to replace my 8800gtx until it dies, or until I can get something twice as fast for 100eu, but it'll take another year to get to that pricepoint I think.

Probably ;)

I'm happy with ATI for now.

We'll see what ATI's refreshes and 6xxx series bring to the table as well as Nvidia's inevitable Fermi refresh.

You can never have enough toys :)

Eh... I want to curse ArmA 2 out right now. Honestly, I don't know what to say.

I just put in my new hard drive. On Benchmark 1, the FPS was... 1 frame lower.

WTF?!

View distance 4303, everything on high. Benchmarked it on my old drive, FPS was 18.

Uninstalled ArmA 2, reinstalled it on the new hard drive, FPS is 17.

WHAT?!

Honestly, I'm tired of this. I'm still going to buy a new fan, most likely, but probably not for ArmA 2 anymore. I'm just going to leave and go to cryengine or something, and make machinimas with that.

I've spent hundreds of dollars trying to upgrade my FPS. All I got was slight improvement thanks to the processor, then I spent 70 more dollars and I get 1 FPS less.

Bohemia, you're great for making this game, but please, next time, f*cking optimize it for once.

I honestly don't know what to do now, I've done everything possible (except for overclocking, but there is supposed to be at LEAST a few FPS improvement because of the hard drive).

Screw this.

Edit: I dont know, should I buy a new heatsink? I know my processor is currently at a 2.83 ghz speed and I know that isn't really that great for ArmA 2. Maybe that's what's bottlenecking me this time? I was planning to overclock it to 3.6 ghz or so. Do you guys think that will have a big effect on my FPS? Or is it once again just going to bump it up to like 2 more FPS and that's it? I honestly don't even know what to expect from ArmA 2 anymore, even though I knew that the hard drive alone wouldn't do much, I was expecting at least some improvement.

Edited by Litos

Hello,

My system is starting to show its age now with the latest games, so time for an upgrade I think! For those interested I'm currently on XP with a Core 2 Duo E6600 (stock), 7900GS and 2GB of RAM.

I'm pretty much set on a GTX285 for the graphics card, but processor wise I'm not sure whether to go for a Q9650 or go even further and get an i7 930 (or similar CPU).

My main question is, out of those two for example, which would show the better performance in games? Not just Arma2 but others across many platforms such as Call Of Duty, Company of Heroes and Flight Simulators etc. A lot of people seem to be recommending i7s but are they truely better for performance on many of these games over the high end Core 2 Quads? It would probably be best to point out at this stage that I have no intent of over-clocking.

The other other thing is the operating system. In your opinion would it be better to stick with XP or upgrade to Windows 7? 32 bit or 64 bit? Again bearing in mind compatibility and performance with other games.

I've spent time looking at benchmarks and so on for all of the above, but personal experiences with these components count for a lot as well. Your input and advice would be welcomed.

jch5pilot

Edited by jch5pilot

WTF?!

View distance 4303, everything on high. Benchmarked it on my old drive, FPS was 18.

WHAT?!

Honestly, I'm tired of this. I'm still going to buy a new fan, most likely, but probably not for ArmA 2 anymore. I'm just going to leave and go to cryengine or something, and make machinimas with that.

I've spent hundreds of dollars trying to upgrade my FPS. All I got was slight improvement thanks to the processor, then I spent 70 more dollars and I get 1 FPS less.

Bohemia, you're great for making this game, but please, next time, f*cking optimize it for once.

I honestly don't know what to do now, I've done everything possible (except for overclocking, but there is supposed to be at LEAST a few FPS improvement because of the hard drive).

Screw this.

Edit: I dont know, should I buy a new heatsink? I know my processor is currently at a 2.83 ghz speed and I know that isn't really that great for ArmA 2. Maybe that's what's bottlenecking me this time? I was planning to overclock it to 3.6 ghz or so. Do you guys think that will have a big effect on my FPS? Or is it once again just going to bump it up to like 2 more FPS and that's it? I honestly don't even know what to expect from ArmA 2 anymore, even though I knew that the hard drive alone wouldn't do much, I was expecting at least some improvement.

HDDs have little to do with actual FPS but running an IDE HDD, when everything else you have is decent, is a clear bottleneck that was more than likely going to cause slow texture loading etc in ArmA 2 and a sluggish system in general.

You might be aiming a little high with 4500VD and everything on high. You just need to play around with the detail settings until you get it where you want it.

OCing will help but I wouldn't expect anything too dramatic.

PS : Obviously, you moved your OS etc to the new drive right?

---------- Post added at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

Hello,

My system is starting to show its age now with the latest games, so time for an upgrade I think! For those interested I'm currently on XP with a Core 2 Duo E6600 (stock), 7900GS and 2GB of RAM.

I'm pretty much set on a GTX285 for the graphics card, but processor wise I'm not sure whether to go for a Q9650 or go even further and get an i7 930 (or similar CPU).

My main question is, out of those two for example, which would show the better performance in games? Not just Arma2 but others across many platforms such as Call Of Duty, Company of Heroes and Flight Simulators etc. A lot of people seem to be recommending i7s but are they truely better for performance on many of these games over the high end Core 2 Quads? It would probably be best to point out at this stage that I have no intent of over-clocking.

The other other thing is the operating system. In your opinion would it be better to stick with XP or upgrade to Windows 7? 32 bit or 64 bit? Again bearing in mind compatibility and performance with other games.

I've spent time looking at benchmarks and so on for all of the above, but personal experiences with these components count for a lot as well. Your input and advice would be welcomed.

jch5pilot

I wouldn't buy a 285 at this point. Either go ATI or if you are set on Nvidia, wait for the mid range 4x0 cards that should appear in the next few months.

i7s don't do alot for games in general over 9xxx quads (some significant difference in certain RTS games) but if you are buying a new system, I'd go for an i5/i7 for the sake of future-proofing alone.

XP is 10 years old and while it was a great OS, it's time to move on :)

Edited by BangTail

HDDs have little to do with actual FPS but running an IDE HDD, when everything else you have is decent, is a clear bottleneck that was more than likely going to cause slow texture loading etc in ArmA 2 and a sluggish system in general.

You might be aiming a little high with 4500VD and everything on high. You just need to play around with the detail settings until you get it where you want it.

OCing will help but I wouldn't expect anything too dramatic.

PS : Obviously, you moved your OS etc to the new drive right?

No...

But my OS isn't running on an IDE drive. It's running on a 40 GB 7200RPM SATA drive.

So you're telling me that if I overclock my processor from 2.83 ghz to like 3.6 ghz it won't help me?

If so, then I'm leaving this game.

I ordered this computer

AMD Phenom II 965 3.4 ghz

Nvidia GTX 275 896 Core edition

4 gb RAM DDR 3

How well do you think I could run the game?

Could I play high/normal?

:j:

No...

But my OS isn't running on an IDE drive. It's running on a 40 GB 7200RPM SATA drive.

So you're telling me that if I overclock my processor from 2.83 ghz to like 3.6 ghz it won't help me?

If so, then I'm leaving this game.

That's pretty bullheaded tbh and I didn't say it wouldn't help at all, I said I wouldn't expect anything too dramatic.

---------- Post added at 05:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 PM ----------

I ordered this computer

4 gb RAM DDR 3

:j:

Should be fine :)

WTF?!

WHAT?!

Screw this.

You can play around with clockspeeds without changing the heatsink. On my e6750 I could decrease voltage and increase clockspeed without losing stability.

But you said you wanted to make movies at good fps. You can slow arma2 time down quite easily I've heard. If you put time on 1/5 normal time and you have 10 fps and you speed your video up again to normal time you have 50 fps. That's twice the framerate hollywood uses.

I ordered this computer

4 gb RAM DDR 3

That's what I just bought, even before I put in the GPU (still have 8800 in it, getting 275 tomorrow) I am able to play on high/very high with 3500 VD with very acceptable FPS. I would think it will only get better tomorrow... :)

I was going to go with an SSD... but thanks to more research and good advice in this thread I'm going wait on that.

You can play around with clockspeeds without changing the heatsink. On my e6750 I could decrease voltage and increase clockspeed without losing stability.

But you said you wanted to make movies at good fps. You can slow arma2 time down quite easily I've heard. If you put time on 1/5 normal time and you have 10 fps and you speed your video up again to normal time you have 50 fps. That's twice the framerate hollywood uses.

Yeah I know about that. But it's not exactly comfortable for 2 reasons:

1) It'll take much longer and will be much more annoying to make a movie with this method

2) There will still be annoying stutters, as even when the game is slowed down it still skips frames. A plane for example, isn't gonna fly smoothly. And even if it's sped up, you'll still be able to see it. Maybe not it exactly, but you'll notice something isn't right with the video.

I just realized CPUZ displays my RAM as single channel. I have 4 sticks, they're slightly different (like different brands I think). I took a picture, here. Anyone know how I can make it normal, as in dual channel?

Also bangtail what do you mean by bullheaded?