Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

so i just have to change the cpu and graphics card and switch to xp or 7? whats a good but cheap graphics card and cpu then?

I think you should be able to put an athlonx2 (or possibly athlon2) in there and that should get around the cpu bottleneck, the main problem is the lack of pci-e 16 slot. The board only runs at 8x so that will effectively half your graphics memory bandwidth, how much this will affect performance I dont know, only way to find out would be to try it :D

You should be able to get a decent speed processor for about £50-60 and £100 should get you a 4870/5770 which should run arma2 fine. You will ultimately be bottlenecked by that motherboard unfortunately. Also do some research into what processors that motherboard will run, dropping an email to emachines tech might be worthwhile; you may well need to update your bios in order to run a faster processor.

I merged your thread into here as all but one line of it (ie will my PC run this) is what this thread for, as for the patches, yes you can go straight to 1.05, as the readme for 1.05 would tell you it's for all versions of ArmA2 :)

Thank you Placebo i already tought i was looking in the wrong direction for this.

Now normaly it would work because i have maxed out above the maximum system requirments for Arma II as i can see on the site of Arma self but i had something maybe pll that already playing this would have a diferent point of view ;-) as of experience of the players out there now.

patch advice noted downloading and putting it on my flash drive :p now it is waiting on my desktop ......

And a good mod to go with this game and im good to go :D

Edited by KBourne
my grammatica sucks :(

so can i just buy a motherboard with a pci-16 slot? im not tech smart so i dont know if this is something where i could just buy a new motherboard.

pci-e x16, all modern videocards use it. As well as all normal modern motherboards.

so can i just buy a motherboard with a pci-16 slot? im not tech smart so i dont know if this is something where i could just buy a new motherboard.

If you get are going to buy a new motherboard you need to first be sure it is compatible with the CPU and RAM (system memory) you have or are planning to use.

Then there is the power supply unit you have/will use. For any of the decent modern graphics cards you probably need at least a 500W PSU and from a decent manufacturer.

Finally got my i3 530 system built and run a quick benchmark on arma2 :)

Previous average fps on benchmark1 was 22 with all mods (ACE/JTD/SLX/GL4 plus others), with the same mods and higher graphics settings I now get 44fps average, that is with a heavily fragmented hard disk so that could potentially increase :D

System is: -

Core i3 530 @4Ghz

4Gb 1600mhz DDR3

GTX260 216 896mb

160Gb sata 7200rpm hdd

Winxp32 sp3

Settings are: -

1600x1200 - 100% fillrate

All settings on high apart from FSAA and pp on low, vram on default and 1600 viw distance. I will probably increase the details as I go on.

All in all very pleased with it, the girlfriend isnt so pleased Ive spent over 400 quid updating my machine to play arma :o :o

all of that was only 400 bucks? i should build my comp instead i guess.

400 Pounds - although the pound is not doing well at the mo, It's about 1.5 to the USD and stuff is markedly cheaper in the US to start with.

i found these and could anyone tell me which kit would run arma 2 the best. Asus M4A785-M PowerUp Barebones Kit - Asus M4A785-M Mobo, AMD Phenom X4 9650 CPU, Ultra 2GB DDR2 RAM, Seagate 750GB HD, PowerUp ATX Mid-Tower Case w/450W PSU, MSI DH-24AAS-17 DVD Writer, or Biostar MCP6PB M2+ Power Up Barebone Kit - Biostar MCP6PB M2+ Motherboard, AMD Phenom X4 9650 Quad CPU, Centon 2GB DDR2 RAM, LG DVD Writer, 2TB Hitachi Internal HD, Power Up ATX Case w/450W PSU

i found these and could anyone tell me which kit would run arma 2 the best. Asus M4A785-M PowerUp Barebones Kit - Asus M4A785-M Mobo, AMD Phenom X4 9650 CPU, Ultra 2GB DDR2 RAM, Seagate 750GB HD, PowerUp ATX Mid-Tower Case w/450W PSU, MSI DH-24AAS-17 DVD Writer, or Biostar MCP6PB M2+ Power Up Barebone Kit - Biostar MCP6PB M2+ Motherboard, AMD Phenom X4 9650 Quad CPU, Centon 2GB DDR2 RAM, LG DVD Writer, 2TB Hitachi Internal HD, Power Up ATX Case w/450W PSU

Those will all be terrible, look for something that has at least a PhenomII processor (or a core2 or core i3/5/7 if you want intel) and a videocard (not the onboard chips on the motherboard).

For videocards make sure it's at the top 5 rows in the hierarchy chart. yes, this link agian

Ive spent in total £450 upgrading my system, the hard disks, case and psu were existing. For my money Ive got graphics card, cpu, ram and motherboard. Fortunately I can sell my old components for £150 and Im making £200 by rebuilding someones motorbike engine for them so all is fair and square :D

how well will this run arma 2 (i found these on amazon)? PNY GeForce GT 220 1024 MB PCI-Express 2.0 DVI with HDMI and VGA Graphics Card VCGGT2201XEB, *** Athlon II X2 240 AM3 2.8GHZ 2MB 45NM 65W 4000MHZ Pib, Kingston ValueRAM 2 GB 1333MHz DDR3 DIMM Desktop Memory KVR1333D3N9/2G, ASRock AM3 processors AMD 770-140W 4DDR3/ATI CrossFireX motherboard M3A770DE, *** 650 Watt ATX12V V2.2 Psu.

how well will this run arma 2 (i found these on amazon)? PNY GeForce GT 220 1024 MB PCI-Express 2.0 DVI with HDMI and VGA Graphics Card VCGGT2201XEB, *** Athlon II X2 240 AM3 2.8GHZ 2MB 45NM 65W 4000MHZ Pib, Kingston ValueRAM 2 GB 1333MHz DDR3 DIMM Desktop Memory KVR1333D3N9/2G, ASRock AM3 processors AMD 770-140W 4DDR3/ATI CrossFireX motherboard M3A770DE, *** 650 Watt ATX12V V2.2 Psu.

That's better then the previous systems, you might be able to play on very low settings with low resolution.

The athlonII has no l3 chache memory, I'm not sure how much that will cripple armaII, if you look at the link I posted you will see the videocard in the tenth row, that's pretty low down.

I took a quick look at newegg. some gaming system

This is a system that will play arma 2 properly on medium (maybe a few on low, videocard not too good) settings. If you cant afford a system like this you should try to upgrade an existing pc, you could at least re-use the harddisk, dvd-rom and the case. maybe even the psu. Plus you dont pay extra for an operating system if you already have one.

The other thing you could do is try to look for secondhand pc's. There are plenty of people who are upgrading now. To prove my point: arma2 capable pc, 250-300 euros that's about 330-400 dollars. The videocard is about the bare minimum for arma 2 but it's faster than the one in your amazon system and if you upgrade the videocard its still cheaper then a new system with worse specs.

If you look for secondhand pc's look for core2duo processors first and then look up the videocard in the gpu hierarchy chart

Edit: This pc will run the game well I think. Really fast processor, fast videocard.

I don't know how cheap hardware is in the US but if I want a pc like that for that price it will be tough even if I build it myself.

Edited by Leon86

what if i get a Sapphire Radeon HD4830 512MB DDR3 Dual DVI / TVO PCI-Express Graphics Card and a AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition Heka 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Processor Model HDZ720WFK3DGI - OEM. If i change the graphics card and anthlon to a phenom then how well would arma 2 run?

what if i get a Sapphire Radeon HD4830 512MB DDR3 Dual DVI / TVO PCI-Express Graphics Card and a AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition Heka 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Processor Model HDZ720WFK3DGI - OEM. If i change the graphics card and anthlon to a phenom then how well would arma 2 run?

That would run fine on low-medium (depending on resolution) with the 4830, the processor is fast enough.

Hi there,

I'm not sure if I am posting this thread in the correct place but anyway.

I was just wondering can I run Arma II on my laptop. System Requirements Lab says I can JUST run it, because my CPU is 260Mhz faster then the minimal. I got the demo and it did NOT run well at all. Constant lag etc.

My laptop is a Sony VAIO VGN AW11S/B

My specs are :

Intel Dual Core 2.26 Ghz Processor

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium

Installed Memory 4 GB (DDR2 SDRAM)

Chipset Intel PM45 Express

Bus Speed 1066 MHz

Memory

Installed RAM 4 GB

RAM Technology DDR2 SDRAM

Max Supported RAM 4 GB

RAM Speed 800 MHz

Installed Cache Memory 3072 KB

Video

Graphic Processor NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT

Installed Video Memory 512 MB

Will I be able to run Arma II and if so...how well?

Also, is it worth about 400 dollars upgrading to a 3 Ghz Dual Core?

In theory yes you should be able to run arma, albeit on low settings and with bad fps, realistically I dont think you will be looking at getting more than 20fps. In the harvest red campaign it will just be manageable although some points will really drag and framerates may well be below 15.

I think a blazing fast dual core is better for arma than a fast quad core as the engine is not optimised for quads.

Should have been posted in this thread though :)

edit: dammit posted too slow!

Hi there,

I was just wondering can I run Arma II on my laptop. System Requirements Lab says I can JUST run it, because my CPU is 260Mhz faster then the minimal. I got the demo and it did NOT run well at all. Constant lag etc.

My laptop is a Sony VAIO VGN AW11S/B

My specs are :

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium

Installed Memory 4 GB (DDR2 SDRAM)

Chipset Intel PM45 Express

Bus Speed 1066 MHz

1950 x 1080 Res (I think, may have made a mistake on the 8 and 5)

Memory

Installed RAM 4 GB

RAM Technology DDR2 SDRAM

Max Supported RAM 4 GB

RAM Speed 800 MHz

Installed Cache Memory 3072 KB

Video

Will I be able to run Arma II and if so...how well?

Edited by SilverEagle
Adding a point

Hi there,

...laptop...

Not well, your bottleneck imo is the processor and your GFX card,

maximum at low/medium if you're lucky.

I definitely wouldn't reccomend a laptop for ARMA2 unless it was designed for fairly high-spec gaming. (e.g. GTX 200M series and 3ghz dual or 2.6 quad should get it running decently)

Not for arma II, you will be (and probably already are) bottlenecked by your gpu.

Whats bottlenecking? Sry, i'm a n00b at pc's wen it comes to how they work. Also, what in my gpu would cause this?

I am currently assembling parts for a future build and was wondering if anyone knew if the Corsair 750tx has plug ins that would fit three case fans in a case such as the: COOLER MASTER HAF 922.

Looking at the photos for the power supply unit, I was not able to discern the proper cables that would plug into the fans. I'm sure they're there, just not seeing them.

My build is looking like:

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 922

Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D Pro Motherboard

Power Supply Unit: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W

GPU: Diamond 5850

Processor: I5-750 2.66ghz

Ram: 4 gb ddr3 1600

HD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM

I would be open to suggestions on the case, preferably one with an intake fan, top fan, and rear exhaust fan. Motherboard suggestions would be nice also. Appreciate the help.

Oh, could anyone recommend a decent CPU cooler?

I am currently assembling parts for a future build and was wondering if anyone knew if the Corsair 750tx has plug ins that would fit three case fans in a case such as the: COOLER MASTER HAF 922.

Looking at the photos for the power supply unit, I was not able to discern the proper cables that would plug into the fans. I'm sure they're there, just not seeing them.

My build is looking like:

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 922

Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D Pro Motherboard

Power Supply Unit: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W

GPU: Diamond 5850

Processor: I5-750 2.66ghz

Ram: 4 gb ddr3 1600

HD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM

I would be open to suggestions on the case, preferably one with an intake fan, top fan, and rear exhaust fan. Motherboard suggestions would be nice also. Appreciate the help.

Oh, could anyone recommend a decent CPU cooler?

This is a good choice of components I think, dont worry about connecting the fans to the psu, you connect them to the motherboard anyway exept if they're really powerfull, then you can usually connect them to a molex plug.

The case is more a matter of personal taste and budget I think, If you want to fit extra fans just get a big case, the haf is pretty huge so that's taken care of I guess. In your case :D :o there are already a couple of huge fans installed I think so that wont be needed.

I once fitted a scythe mugen 2 to an i5-750. coretemp said 50 degrees centigrade at full load (in a 25c environment), so I guess that's a pretty decent cooler, and not too expensive. It has a backplate so it will stay in place

The motherboard seems fine, you could look for one that has usb3 and sata600, never know when it might be handy and it doesn't cost too much extra. The only s1156 board I have any experience with is the gigabyte P55A-UD4. It seemed a high quality board but I dont know for sure, my uncle wouldn't let me overclock:D

edit: Oh, and one thing, make sure to look up your memory in the QVL of the motherboard manufacturer. It'll probably work fine but why take the risk

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 PM ----------

Whats bottlenecking? Sry, i'm a n00b at pc's wen it comes to how they work. Also, what in my gpu would cause this?

your graphics card is not fast enough to properly run arma 2, since your grapics card probably cant be replaced because it's probably part of the motherboard you wont be able to run the game well even if you upgrade your processor.

bottlenecking means your processor wants to play the game at 40fps but your grapics card doesn't keep up, slowing the fps down. Like the bottleneck slowing down the flow of beer, or any other liquid that might be shipped in bottles, like wodka, or rum, or whiskey or...

Edited by Leon86