Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

I can see the logic there BangTail, the information I have at the moment is a 2 week to 1 month wait on the ATI cards.

Hopefully there will be some solid release dates from Nvidia soon

ATI cards are out now and the refreshes wont bring a whole lot to the table.

Some people say ATI will have their new architecture 6xxx series out by the end of the year, others say 2011.

Nvidia should have something out in March although it remains to be seen whether it will be the 512SP monster or the scaled down 448SP card.

Edited by BangTail

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20100218124405_Fermi_Architecture_Will_Only_Hit_the_Pull_Stride_Next_Quarter_CEO_of_Nvidia.html

looks like MAY for 448sp/gt470.

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

I'm not entirely sure why you felt the need to answer questions I had already answered but whatever.

Didn't see your post:j:, wasn't there when i opened up a reply. As for Gulftown, much better OCing and as such isnt a waste, To each there own, you want top notch gear to push high res with full filters...

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20100218124405_Fermi_Architecture_Will_Only_Hit_the_Pull_Stride_Next_Quarter_CEO_of_Nvidia.html

looks like MAY for 448sp/gt470.

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

Didn't see your post:j:, wasn't there when i opened up a reply. As for Gulftown, much better OCing and as such isnt a waste, To each there own, you want top notch gear to push high res with full filters...

All good bud :)

Much higher Overclocks, not really. The smaller DIE does help a little however :)

You aren't getting $1300.00 worth - believe me. There will be much cheaper hex cores a little later on in the year.

Of course, if he has money to burn, there is no harm in buying it. I'd suggest spending the money on other stuff tbh, but that's up to him ;)

As for the article, everyone has different opinions about which card and when. The fact is that NOBODY really knows and the Nvidia guy in that article is being extremely vague (as usual). I don't bother speculating anymore, I'm only going to believe anything with regards to Fermi when I see it.

Nvidia have handled the whole Fermi thing exceptionally badly and I can only hope that they have a milestone card waiting for us.

Edited by BangTail

Anybody know how well these specs will handle this game?

AMD Phenom II X4 965 (3.40GHz)

8GB DDR3 RAM

x2 Ati Radeon 5850 in Crossfire

Windows 7

Will it handle it amazingly, great or just okay?

8GB DDR3 RAM

Windows 7

Well enough.

8GB DDR3 RAM

Windows 7

Will indeed run fine

but 2 5850's will probably perform about as good as one 5870 in arma2, at least there are plenty people on this forum with crossfire issues. Also your cpu costs about as much as a core i5-750, that might perform better, especially if you dont mind overclocking (or get the cheaper PhenomII 955BE and overclock it yourself). 8GB ram is useless in arma2 unless you run a ramdisk, if you dont want to do that just get 4GB, arma2 only uses 1.3GB or so.

8GB DDR3 RAM

Windows 7

Similar to my system, I think you will be very pleased. Right now I think my bigges inhibitor is my hard disk. It scores only a 5.9 in my windows performance monitor dealy. But anyway, just keep your view distance reasonable(1800-mid2000) and don't go crazy with AA or the post process effects. And you should see mostly 50-60 frames outside the campaign.

If anyone want to buy a similar system to mine:

AMD, CPU PHENOM II X4 955 BOX - 3200Mhz - OC to 3.8Ghz

Patriot, 4GB, 1600MHz (OC), DDR3, CL9, Kit Of 2, Extreme Performance Viper Series

MSI, Radeon HD5850, 1GB, 256bit, OC

Microsoft, Windows 7 Home Premium 32Bit, OEM

Then you will get these fine results with very high setting:

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/340/arma22010022004395147.jpg

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/1815/arma22010022004363790.jpg

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/3321/arma22010022004345523.jpg

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/9608/arma22010022004530967.jpg

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/543/arma22010022004525428.jpg

It's so efing awesome!

My current specs are:

Intel Core Duo E6550 2.33 ghz

4 gigs of RAM

Geforce 8600 GTS 256mb

I know I have to upgrade my video card but with the current economy and all that jazz I was hoping to make do with the CPU. What do you guys think?

Hey guys,

Any suggested tweaks I can make for a system with ridiculous amounts of CPU and RAM, but kinda "meh" in the graphics department?

My new workstation has two X5570 Xeons (quad-core, 2.93Ghz with hyperthreading, so 16 threads), 12GB of RAM, but only a 4870 for video. I'm planning on upgrading that down the road, but it's from my previous workstation and availability of the cards I want right now is crappy in Australia.

So anyway, suggestions on maximizing my enjoyment until I upgrade the GPU?

Hey guys,

Any suggested tweaks I can make for a system with ridiculous amounts of CPU and RAM, but kinda "meh" in the graphics department?

My new workstation has two X5570 Xeons (quad-core, 2.93Ghz with hyperthreading, so 16 threads), 12GB of RAM, but only a 4870 for video. I'm planning on upgrading that down the road, but it's from my previous workstation and availability of the cards I want right now is crappy in Australia.

So anyway, suggestions on maximizing my enjoyment until I upgrade the GPU?

Go into the Bios and disable Hyperthreading. That would be the first step. That's if I recall correctly anyway. OC if possible. Use a RAM disk because youcan with 12GB. Optimize the shortcut with cpu count 4. Those are my few tips.

I have a 4870, it's not that bad :)

My current specs are:

Intel Core Duo E6550 2.33 ghz

4 gigs of RAM

Geforce 8600 GTS 256mb

I know I have to upgrade my video card but with the current economy and all that jazz I was hoping to make do with the CPU. What do you guys think?

The game ran ok with my e6750 @ 3.2 Ghz. Maybe you can overclock yours to 3.0 Ghz Now with my q6600 (at 2.8, mobo wont give it enhough juice for higher speeds) it runs better especially in cities, but you should be good even at 2.33 as long as you dont put the viewdistance very high.

The ati 5770 or 5850 are probably the cards to look at when upgrading the gpu. Some might say the 5850 will be bottlenecked by your cpu but that all depends on the settings you run at. with the 5850 you could go all-out with anti-aliasing, anisotropic filtering, postprocessing and still run at high res.

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:31 PM ----------

Go into the Bios and disable Hyperthreading. That would be the first step. That's if I recall correctly anyway. OC if possible. Use a RAM disk because youcan with 12GB. Optimize the shortcut with cpu count 4. Those are my few tips.

+1, If you have 12GB of ram you can make the entire (vanilla) game run from the ramdisk. should be great, I woudn't know, I only have 6GB

The game ran ok with my e6750 @ 3.2 Ghz. Maybe you can overclock yours to 3.0 Ghz Now with my q6600 (at 2.8, mobo wont give it enhough juice for higher speeds) it runs better especially in cities, but you should be good even at 2.33 as long as you dont put the viewdistance very high.

The ati 5770 or 5850 are probably the cards to look at when upgrading the gpu. Some might say the 5850 will be bottlenecked by your cpu but that all depends on the settings you run at. with the 5850 you could go all-out with anti-aliasing, anisotropic filtering, postprocessing and still run at high res.

Ok, so I should be able to run the game on say, medium settings with at least 1000 meter viewdistance? Provided I upgrade the vid card that is ;)

Ok, so I should be able to run the game on say, medium settings with at least 1000 meter viewdistance? Provided I upgrade the vid card that is ;)

Yep, you should be fine as long as you upgrade your card mate :)

Ok. I have been looking forward to this game ever since it came out. And now i am at the breaking point, and i need to get it. My PC is crap and will not possibly run it. I know there are tons and tons of posts about what pc to get, but forgive me if I didnt read through the hundreds of pages on this thread :)

What is a good computer out there on the market right now (custom or not) that would be affordable ( under $1000 if at all possible) and that will run at decent settings. Any help will be a tremendous help. Also if anyone has experience with buying a semi-cheap computer that works well with this game, all personal examples would be great. Really I mostly want to know if it is possible to get a computer with sufficient graphics card and other requirements that is under the thousand dollars. I would like to run the graphics at the highest i possibly can for a lower price. If this is not very possible, what would be my cheapest option to go with?

Thanks again ;)

-Beast-

Ok. I have been looking forward to this game ever since it came out. And now i am at the breaking point, and i need to get it. My PC is crap and will not possibly run it. I know there are tons and tons of posts about what pc to get, but forgive me if I didnt read through the hundreds of pages on this thread :)

What is a good computer out there on the market right now (custom or not) that would be affordable ( under $1000 if at all possible) and that will run at decent settings. Any help will be a tremendous help. Also if anyone has experience with buying a semi-cheap computer that works well with this game, all personal examples would be great. Really I mostly want to know if it is possible to get a computer with sufficient graphics card and other requirements that is under the thousand dollars. I would like to run the graphics at the highest i possibly can for a lower price. If this is not very possible, what would be my cheapest option to go with?

Thanks again ;)

-Beast-

Are you going to build it yourself or do you want to buy a complete system?

Unfortunately i cant. Although i do have some knowledge about computers, graphics cards and such, not enough to do it myself. Ill have to have it custom made through like a website or company like that. Or buy it just a complete system. I have seen some companies on the web that offer customizable options regarding graphics cards, proccessors, motherboards etc.

Edited by Beastxxwar

Unfortunately i cant. Although i do have some knowledge about computers, graphics cards and such, not enough to do it myself. Ill have to have it custom made through like a website or company like that. Or buy it just a complete system. I have seen some companies on the web that offer customizable options regarding graphics cards, proccessors, motherboards etc.

Hi Beastxxwar!

with your budget(<$1000) you can build an excellent gaming pc.

only no complete system! choose singular best buy hardware components

and find a good experienced installer.

I'm on Intel core I7 but in my opinion AMD platforms are clearly

superior in high performance budget system

some examples (prices from Newegg.com):

-Asus M4A79XTD Evo - $109.99 (best buy AM3 motherboard)

-AMD Phenom IIx4 965 BE 3.4Ghz - $179.99 (great for simple overclocking)

-G.Skill 2x2Gb DDR3 1600

Thermaltake W0319RU 850W - $204.99 (combo special price)

-Sapphire 5770 VaporX 1Gb - $164.99 (cool temperatures/very quiet)

-WD Digital Caviar Black 750Gb -$159.99 (2xraid0)

-Antec Nine Hundred 2BS - $109.99 (case)

total $930 + cost of building labor (maybe $100?)

just an example obviously!

bye all

ps:sorry for my english.

Hi Beastxxwar!

with your budget(<$1000) you can build an excellent gaming pc.

only no complete system! choose singular best buy hardware components

and find a good experienced installer.

I'm on Intel core I7 but in my opinion AMD platforms are clearly

superior in high performance budget system

some examples (prices from Newegg.com):

-Asus M4A79XTD Evo - $109.99 (best buy AM3 motherboard)

-AMD Phenom IIx4 965 BE 3.4Ghz - $179.99 (great for simple overclocking)

-G.Skill 2x2Gb DDR3 1600

Thermaltake W0319RU 850W - $204.99 (combo special price)

-Sapphire 5770 VaporX 1Gb - $164.99 (cool temperatures/very quiet)

-WD Digital Caviar Black 750Gb -$159.99 (2xraid0)

-Antec Nine Hundred 2BS - $109.99 (case)

total $930 + cost of building labor (maybe $100?)

just an example obviously!

bye all

ps:sorry for my english.

I wouldn't advise a "best buy" motherboard, maybe get a phenomII 955 BE, and use the money saved to get a gigabyte UD3 moterboard or something.

The PSU is also a bit overkill, a $120 600 W psu will be more then enough.

If you want you could save a bit on the case as well and get the antec 300, although personally I'd get the Antec performance one P183, my uncle has a P182 and it's fantastic, and if you break something you can order spares on the antec site :yay:

Here in the Netherlands you have a lot of online shops where you can order the parts and they will assemble it, test for compatibility and install windows for you for about 60 euro's. I'm sure you can do something similar wherever you live.

I think the game looks great on normal settings so I personally don't regret going the budget route. I bought a $600 used computer on craigslist and with a minimum of upgrading got performance to where I like it (49 fps in benchmark 1)

E8400 C2D overclocked to 3.6. Needed to add aftermarket heatsink

Sapphire 4870 512

1680 x 1050.

I get some stutter and pop in intermitantly but from what I read here, that is pretty common no matter how great your system is.

With secondhand systems you can get some pretty good deals price/performance-wise. But when you get a new system I woudn't recommend buying a budget system, you always get roughly 50% of the performance for 80% of the price of a normal system.