Placebo

The all new: Ask a moderator about the forum & rules

I just registered for the forums about 15-20 minutes ago to post in the troubleshooting section for a question I haven't seen before, but in Posting Permissions at the bottom-right of the page, it says, "You may not post new threads," even though I'm logged in. I have activated my account and checked the Agree box in Forum Rules and still cannot post new threads. It's not just Troubleshooting, either - it's everywhere. Some places I can post replies, but not all. Is it because I'm a new user? If so, could a mod make it so that I can post new threads for Troubleshooting?

Nevermind the question, just read back a couple pages. Why are all the people on these forums so snarky? Does this post count as number two because I'm answering my own question, or will both of them get deleted because I complained about the snark? Sorry, that's sarcastic. But seriously, I just have a question I need answered, I'm not a spam bot. Can I get the post-count waived or something?

I had a question about that also, the privilege system is not working for me either. I registered some

time back and I have several mods to publish and promote but I haven't had the chance due to PM's

sent to moderators not being read in time, or at least I think that's the case. My question: At what

point does my account get the privilege to actually post and edit my own topics so I can publish my

mods? I'd like to know this as my development team solely use this account for connecting to people.

I had a question about that also, the privilege system is not working for me either. I registered some

time back and I have several mods to publish and promote but I haven't had the chance due to PM's

sent to moderators not being read in time, or at least I think that's the case. My question: At what

point does my account get the privilege to actually post and edit my own topics so I can publish my

mods? I'd like to know this as my development team solely use this account for connecting to people.

Just reply to a few more threads. I think you need around 5 posts or something, don't worry, you'll get there :)

Hey guys, I'm new here and this is where it said to direct questions and comments to the moderation staff. I just wanted to make a comment that I'm kind of taken aback at the hostility of this forum to new users; requiring five posts to start a new thread? On a developers forum that should be easy to post to get technical support.

Its especially frustrating to have to jump through hoops just to post a questions but then see that your moderation methods are doing very poorly -- your forums are spammed with spam anyways. Here's what I see right now: http://i.imgur.com/kkaUXQa.jpg

Generally not very impressed so far.

Hey guys, I'm new here and this is where it said to direct questions and comments to the moderation staff. I just wanted to make a comment that I'm kind of taken aback at the hostility of this forum to new users; requiring five posts to start a new thread? On a developers forum that should be easy to post to get technical support.

Its especially frustrating to have to jump through hoops just to post a questions but then see that your moderation methods are doing very poorly -- your forums are spammed with spam anyways. Here's what I see right now: http://i.imgur.com/kkaUXQa.jpg

Generally not very impressed so far.

This is indeed a big problem. The posting restrictions were implemented to combat spam bots, but at this point they're only hurting new users.

I'm lobbying the forum admins to get this situation resolved.

Thanks for the reply. Everybody seems very helpful here, and its a bummer not to be able to get help, and not know enough to give any to anyone. A bit of chicken-and-egg situation.

the system works quite well, most of the spammers you see passing were actually manual spammers , until proved otherwise

@Dwarden

I agree, the posts that Diffusion9 referred to were deleted very rapidly (& nasty email sent to their wemail provider & complaint via webform to Skype :hang: ).

These forums are exceptionally clean wrt commercial spam. Big thank you to the moderators & admins for their sterling efforts for keeping it so :)

First off, I want to express how frustrating it has been trying to find out why I have not been able to make a new thread to ask questions. This thread is the only place that I have found (well I didn't find it, I was shown it) that put a number to the amount of posts needed. Many others here have made this same comment, to which a mod replayed with an actual number while quoting the rule thread. I've taken an excerpt;

3. New members are limited in editing/accessing variety of profile & forum features.

These limitations are removed for regular forum users.

R0adki11 contuined to say...

Until you reach 5 or more posts you will not be able to create new threads, this is serves as an anti-spam device

Thank you!

Why doesn't the rules just say 5? what is a 'regular forum user'? Reading this was infuriating. I'm here to ask a question, I am not knowledgeable enough to reply to others with any of merit and become a 'regular user'. Had I been given the chance to start even just 1 thread I would have likely posted enough there to make it past the quota of 5 and then been able to ask another question.

However in a juxtaposition of logic the rules clearly state that 'spam' post will not be tolerated. I don't what to make bunch of empty post until I fill some hidden quota just to get the tools needed to ask a question that would have itself filled the quota! What do you (not 'you' you) honestly expect me to do in these first post? Introduce myself? Oh... wait. That's also forbidden in the rules. Now yes, there is a thread that is a safe heaven of sorts for such post. Ok. So one post down.

Now what?

No really, now what? Write a post complain about the false dichotomy the rules of this forum where built with? Ok so now I'm at two. Now what?

I even tried to PM a mod in order to find out what was the issue. Thinking maybe I didn't check some box, or confirm some email. Nope. The endgame of what this mod has told me to do is post the thread I wanted to make here and ask for a mod/admin to make/move it to it's proper home. So after posting this expect another post to follow some time after with my origonal question. I'll be sure to include what subthread I wanted it under, title, format, exc, making it someone else job. I don't want to do this. But I'm going to because I, like the person(s) that wrote the rules hate, empty, meaninglessly, filler posts.

Edited by MadDogX

Hello I have recently joined the forum but I found that I am unable to create a new thread.

After some quick searching online, I found that it is possibly because I am a new member and that I need to get my post count up to lose this restriction. The problem with this is that I only wanted to ask a simple question and I have no relative input to many of the topics that are here.

Is there another way to get rid of this restriction?

Edit : Nevermind I saw my answer above.

Hello I have recently joined the forum but I found that I am unable to create a new thread.

After some quick searching online, I found that it is possibly because I am a new member and that I need to get my post count up to lose this restriction. The problem with this is that I only wanted to ask a simple question and I have no relative input to many of the topics that are here.

Is there another way to get rid of this restriction?

Edit : Nevermind I saw my answer above.

If you reply here saying 'Tanky, you're a bona fide sex god' I assure you your post count will go up by one.

That's a bit much to ask :) (1)

But I'm glad I've finally found this thread, with the very problem I'm encountering: no mention of the 5-post limit before starting a new thread. Heck, I didn't even get a message I should check the "I agree" box under the rules. Frustrating. There's not enough threads open a.t.m. that give me a chance to share my knowledge and yet I have one simpel question myself. Wouldn't it be nice to open up a small area where new users actually can post new threads? Deleting everything every week is simple and will keep stuff pretty clean.

(Hm... I could ofcourse split this post up in 5 parts.... but that's still against the spirit of the restriction I guess... lol)

Might as well put my questions here:

• It all started with this one: Whenever I'm in a jet, locking on a target (square and diamond box overlapping + missile tone), and firing, the lock immediately breaks, causing my missile to just go straight ahead without any guidance.

• But now I'm at it: I'm getting mixed reports about the locking key. T, R, Tab, even Ctrl-T (but that one is for UAV's I believe). I rarely use it, but using a jet or helo more often, I'd sure like to. What key do I need?

• And: How do I report an enemy contact to my (MP) teammates and put it on map? Does using the ~ key do this without giving any aditional orders?

Hi there

I have a problem with the software i bought from you with my hard earned cash. Came to your forum to ask a question. I registered here. Upon registering I couldn't figure out how to post the question in the Troubleshooting section. Took me an hour of my time to find out why I couldn't post anything. Even when i clicked on the "I accept" button ,after reading the rules and regulations, it took me off to another completely different website - google's search page. Ever had the feeling you're not welcome somewhere?

This forum is so unintuitive its bordering on the ridiculous. A simple message to the newcomer explaining the madcap procedures would undoubtedly save alot of time, effort and frustration.

Anyway, thats one post down. Still can't ask my question though. Duh.

Regards,

Tired and Fed up.

atm. you need several posts for those features to unlock ... unfortunately the way how all the security blocks are setup and linked together it must be higher than 0 otherwise it would fail to work properly ...

can someone simply write the actual number of posts that one needs before making a new thread? wouldn't that at least partially solve the issue with these sort of question? It is not clear as it is now:

Note:

1. New member's posts are auto-moderated, please don't re-post the same message over&over again.

2. New members are required to fill captcha before posting new answers/threads.

3. New members are limited in editing/accessing variety of profile & forum features.

it's not as simple, there is like dozen of various rules combined

those numbers are 1 to 5 depending on feature, I think for new thread it's 1,2 or 3 (this can be complicated depending on the content of post(s) too e.g. urls)

---------- Post added at 22:50 ---------- Previous post was at 22:26 ----------

ok, I noticed something wrong in one of the settings (not related to post count) ... let's hope that sort the problem why it failed to work

This is the first time any of my posts have actually gone through. I'm an experienced modder and trying to get involved in ArmA 3 editing but can't post anywhere!

Edit...OK yes, that one actually worked! Finally!

Hello.

Being a new member I'm unable to post links to a thread. Linking images is crucial to explaining an issue with a mod for Arma 3.

Is there any other way i can get standard privileges? Like a verification of some sort?

Hi there

I have a problem with the software i bought from you with my hard earned cash. Came to your forum to ask a question. I registered here. Upon registering I couldn't figure out how to post the question in the Troubleshooting section. Took me an hour of my time to find out why I couldn't post anything. Even when i clicked on the "I accept" button ,after reading the rules and regulations, it took me off to another completely different website - google's search page. Ever had the feeling you're not welcome somewhere?

This forum is so unintuitive its bordering on the ridiculous. A simple message to the newcomer explaining the madcap procedures would undoubtedly save alot of time, effort and frustration.

Anyway, thats one post down. Still can't ask my question though. Duh.

Regards,

Tired and Fed up.

I have PM'ed you on April 16th with the offer to try and help you out via PM. I've had no response. How eager are you?

This is the first time any of my posts have actually gone through. I'm an experienced modder and trying to get involved in ArmA 3 editing but can't post anywhere!

Edit...OK yes, that one actually worked! Finally!

Hi, how do i make a topic?
Hello.

Being a new member I'm unable to post links to a thread. Linking images is crucial to explaining an issue with a mod for Arma 3.

Is there any other way i can get standard privileges? Like a verification of some sort?

I was wondering the same thing...

Please read the forum rules, which you accepted when signing up to the forums.

Note:

1. New member's posts are auto-moderated, please don't re-post the same message over&over again.

2. New members are required to fill captcha before posting new answers/threads.

§6) No posting of explicit media or hacking/cheating content

No media (images, movies, or other) either posted or linked to shall contain any of the following:

..., real killing, mutilations, wounds, carnage, and other disgusting/explicit depictions.

Is it generally forbidden to link to liveleak? Is linking to a channel/member that some videos with such content forbidden?

To make a specific example: a guy uploads videos showing Czechens fighting in Syria - its mostly combat footage (with some propaganda);

however at times/in some videos also killed people are visible.

What do I get for being a member for ten years?