Placebo

The all new: Ask a moderator about the forum & rules

Maybe I'm just being pedantic, but I reckon Moderators should be able to delete threads that are locked. The number of locked/useless threads clogging up the General discussions is quite unsightly and it does make finding recent productive threads more troublesome.

But that's also educational, showing which kinds of topic are likely to be closed.

Yes, there is definitely a few things at work there. Aside from the difficulty of using a forum that is not moderated for duplicate topics, on the one hand, having your topic closed seemingly does not feel very good, and once it is closed it clutters up the forum. We do hope that users will see the closed topics and in-thread warnings and that will give them a better idea on how to use the forum. The theory is that if users see past moderation actions that less will be needed in the future. As a general practice, we don't delete threads very often. But, we have done little initiatives to clean up closed threads in the past. I'll take a look at the locked threads there over the next little while. I foresee deleting the locked topics on page one just exposing the locked topics on page 2, but we'll have to see.

Can we get an ARMA 2 & OA: MODELLING (O2) subforum for tutorials? As of right now, the only way to find tutorials in the forums is to search for it (versus browsing through a list of tuts), and I think it would be nice to have a subforum where modmakers who create tutorial threads can keep them. If it's not possible for A2, can you guys keep this request in mind for A3?

Thanks,

Abs

Will there be no answer to my question?

Abs

Abs

send your question to placebo by pm. he's the only one that can change forum structure anyhow ;)

Thanks, PuFu...I'll just have to do that.

Abs

Abs

We have been discussing it- your suggestion and other possibilities. You will have an answer when we have one to give you.

We have been discussing it- your suggestion and other possibilities. You will have an answer when we have one to give you.

Thanks Max. That's answer enough.

Abs

Here's a question, why is this still a global sticky thread? As far as I can tell for months it's been nothing but what really should be in PMs. I really don't need to know every time someone wants to make a penny off their super cool DayZ video or watch people floundering with how to print a document. :)

Also the forums mobile website seems to have changed style now? Now i cant see other pages on a topic? Just the 1st page?!

Here's a question, why is this still a global sticky thread? As far as I can tell for months it's been nothing but what really should be in PMs. I really don't need to know every time someone wants to make a penny off their super cool DayZ video or watch people floundering with how to print a document. :)

Yeah I wasn't too enamoured when it was first made a global sticky, don't think the activity level warrants it being a global sticky, after all we still get maybe 20-30 support emails from blind/ignorant people asking how to monetize because they can't be bothered to read a simply forum thread. I've un-globalled it for now and we'll see how it goes.

How do people re-size pictures for the forums, with that little yellow box above the picture saying click here for fullsize version & with the details of how big it is etc. For example what VXR did with his pictures on this thead.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?133754-Boeing-SOAR-MH-47E&p=2223026&viewfull=1#post2223026

Can anyone tell me how this is done, would save so much time of re-sizing everything :D

Unfortunately, while that thing does resize the presentation of the image, it does not resize the actual size of the file. Even the smaller dimension image shows up for me as over 100 KB (if the source is over 100 KB). If your image is over 100 KB, you still need to resize it.

To answer your question, I believe the forum software does that when you use image tags and the image dimensions are over a certain threshold.

Unfortunately, while that thing does resize the presentation of the image, it does not resize the actual size of the file. Even the smaller dimension image shows up for me as over 100 KB (if the source is over 100 KB). If your image is over 100 KB, you still need to resize it.

To answer your question, I believe the forum software does that when you use image tags and the image dimensions are over a certain threshold.

Thanks, I resize my images to 380 x 319 and it never shows up, will have to save one of his images and see what the imagine dimensions are and see if it works for me.

Is there any chance that you can make a forums rule that player UIDs have to be hidden/masked. Somehow people seem to need rules instead of common sense to understand not to post such sensitive information :(

Thanks, I resize my images to 380 x 319 and it never shows up, will have to save one of his images and see what the imagine dimensions are and see if it works for me.

Alternatively you can decrease the dpi-values of your image which will heavily affect your image's size. If you do not intend to print your screenshots, a dpi value of 96 should be more than enough as most monitors cannot display more than 96 dpi anyway. I hope i could help :)

Edited by derdoe

A rule regarding private or identifying information notwithstanding, if you see anyone publishing UIDs or other identifying info on the forum, please report it. The faster we know about it the sooner we can remove it.

Is there any chance that you can make a forums rule that player UIDs have to be hidden/masked. Somehow people seem to need rules instead of common sense to understand not to post such sensitive information :(

Done now:

§24) Do not post personal or identifying information

You are not allowed to post any personal or identifying information such as postal addresses, IPs or UIDs in the forum. Any breach of this rule may result in the poster no longer being able to make new posts or being banned from the forums. If you feel that because of security/piracy reasons you need to expose the identity of someone or make certain information known please PM this to a moderator with your reasons for doing so.

Excluding game server addresses and/or postal addresses for organizations, I suppose? Granted that it's not a breach of the other rules or by cruel intentions, of course.

Is the email address of an organized game server personally identifying information that someone may not want shared?

No problem with that Messiah as it's not spam like 'any news on that' etc. but adds something related to the thread.

Good evening. As I'm rather new on here, I'm not familiar with the traditions of these forums, so I'd like to ask how long before the estimated release of an OFP/CWA Mod (including all-new units, sounds, textures, animations and a full campaign) I should think about posting a thread demonstrating the features and specialties of the package (with links to short demo videos, screen shots and maybe regular updates on the forum discussion.) Or would it be generally wiser to do that over another channel, like a, I still shudder at the word, 'Blog'?

If you'd like to announce a mod, go ahead and create a post in the Addons & Mods: Discussion forum for the game you are creating the mod for. There are no time limits. When you have a download ready, you can post it in the Addons & Mods: Complete forum.

Hey guys, I have a question here. Is there any topic, where forum members can post screenshots from their community games, discuss loadouts etc?

If you have a community or squad page and this is news about your group, you can create a thread in the squad and fanpages forum and post screenshots there. There is also a 'combat photography' thread in the general forums for each game where you can put your screens. I believe there are threads discussing various aspects of loadouts out there, which you may find by searching. If you can't find anything, then you are free to make a new thread.