Placebo

The all new: Ask a moderator about the forum & rules

Known problem since weeks. Probably the mail server exploded and they run it now on an old 486 in their basement. :)

Reported to our IT guy now, maybe it gets fixed sometime soon.

I've just received about 400 notifications for old posts, so it looks like it's fixed now. I wish it could be reset to only send notifications about posts from now though as it's still drip-feeding old notifications into my e-mail which is a bit of a pain to have to keep deleting but hopefully this'll stop soon and I'll just start getting current notificaitons again.

I also received a Happy Birthday notice from the forums the other day. Should have said Happy Belated Birthday. :P

Forum search for "tutorial"?

After all it's not rocket science and such a forum would be spammed with "I need a tutorial for this or that" and editing questions quickly. A well organized sticky thread would be much easier to maintenance. And people who are not able to see sticky threads need more help than with editing. ;-)

A fair point, but as 'excellent' as this forum's search engine is, it also turns up results of those same people asking for tutorials ;) not everyone is as careful with their thread titles, etc etc.

Doesn't need to be an open forum by any accounts, just a place to collate tutorials - threads can only be moved there by a moderator. It's getting quickly tiresome reading the same basic questions from the new A3 initiates, and I'm not inclined to go dig up the better tutorials from the bottom of page 120 for them.

I see it as being far easier to maintain a mini sub forum within the editing forums with the tutorials collected in one place. A sticky thread linking to the tutorials might serve as halfway solution though.

On another subject - cross posting if an addon is intended for A2 and A3 - If an addon is intended for both games, would it be deemed cross posting /spam to essentially post the exact same information in two different threads, one in A2 and one in A3?

I also received a Happy Birthday notice from the forums the other day. Should have said Happy Belated Birthday. :P

Merry Christmas Nicholas!

---------- Post added at 09:38 ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 ----------

On another subject - cross posting if an addon is intended for A2 and A3 - If an addon is intended for both games, would it be deemed cross posting /spam to essentially post the exact same information in two different threads, one in A2 and one in A3?

No that would be perfectly fine :) Same applies to user missions as well of course.

Thanks colossus and DnA, the legend above me is leaving me some pretty enormous shoes to fill. :)

Hello, Does the Infractions that i received have a cool down period?

For example in 6 months is my slate wiped clean if i have good conduct?

Yes most infractions expire after 60 days, some after 30 days and a few after 120 or 180 days.

• Like 1

Yes most infractions expire after 60 days, some after 30 days and a few after 120 or 180 days.

180 days good god!

Get less for rape. :P

I jest, how many days do I have left on my infraction? :\

180 days good god!

Get less for rape. :P

I jest, how many days do I have left on my infraction? :\

Your infraction point expires May 6 2013 19:17

Can this forum have a function 'LIKE' or 'AGREE' kind of thing like in facebook or youtube? It's just so that when someone announce a mod or something they dont have to spam the thread with 'Nice' or 'awesome' or something like that. I'm sure for a modder those kind of words are words of encouragement, that someone likes their mod. But those are just useless spam, and it increase thread pages unnecessarily.

So if the forum can have that kind of function I think it will reduce the spam a bit.

Thanks

Can this forum have a function 'LIKE' or 'AGREE' kind of thing

I've always thought this was a good idea. Given the rules on "One thread only here" eg All ACE discussion goes in the one and only ACE thread, that thread does get humongously large with all the single posts that say "like" or "wow" or similar. Being able to like an OP without adding a post to a thread is a good idea.

But it's been discussed before and ruled out. :(

We were discussing such an option earlier today but it sounds like for technical and other reasons it won't be happening any time soon. Some moderators are all for it but we have already had to pare down the number of half working modules that threaten forum stability. So, while the idea is good, at least at this point in time, it is not in the cards.

That's a shame, Max, but at least the will is there, if not the means. Thanks for updating us.

We could always raise the minimum post limit to say 20 words? Then everyone has to post a full sentence in thanks? :)

hi. i like many of us, frequent many internet forums. i am happy to see that you guys have installed a bunch of forum styles. i hate the look of the default vbulletin v4. i like the v3 much better. and you guys have a v3 on v4 theme. awesome. thanks.,

i would also like to know exactly which template this is please. why? i will recommend it to several forums i visit. i know i could try and locate it manually on vbulletin.org but since this is a thread where we can ask mods/admins on here questions, surely the web guy could answer this one easily. tell me even if it's a paid for version as that's okay. though i assume it's a free one made by a fan and available for free to any and all, on vbulletin.org, but finding it there, among thousands of things, may be a task in itself. please and thanks. heck, maybe even another regular user here knows.

We could always raise the minimum post limit to say 20 words? Then everyone has to post a full sentence in thanks? :)

This is a good idea, it might be a reasonable stand in in lieu of a like button.

Two points, though, do you think 20 words is too many? For example, you post above was 22 words and you're not know for being verbose! :p Won't a minimum word count just lead to people just writing 'awesome' 20 times?

This is a good idea, it might be a reasonable stand in in lieu of a like button.

Two points, though, do you think 20 words is too many? For example, you post above was 22 words and you're not know for being verbose! :p Won't a minimum word count just lead to people just writing 'awesome' 20 times?

Well, the thing is : when i agree with someone, i see no point in paraphrasing what he said just to show him i agree. Oh, and i propose 12 words instead so that we could make some alexandrines.

Edited by ProfTournesol

Well, the thing is : when i agree with someone, i see no point in paraphrasing what he said just to show him i agree. Oh, and i propose 12 words instead so that we could make some alexandrines.

Awesome.

Oh dammit!

I agree.

/3word /4word /5word /6word /7word /8word /9word /10word /11word /12word /13word /14word /15word /16word /17word /18word /19word /20word

TBH I was making a joke ;)

---------- Post added at 11:23 ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 ----------

And who the hell says I'm not verbose! Nonsense! ;)

Like "night" and "day," things have changed here on the forum. Before the Alpha, the Moderators kept a tight control of the forum and they kept the "BF3 / COD forum mentality" at bay; but today things are starting to drift out-of-control. I'm assuming that since the Alpha's release, BIS has told the Moderators to be a little more "tolerant" of the new members (which is fine), but how far are you going to let people get "out-of-control"? :p

I don't want to see this Great Forum turn into a "free for all." I hope you "crack that whip". :D

Time is relevant..... two days ago wasn't so bad, but now it's going nuts. Just watch, they'll crack down....they won't let it turn into a COD / BF3 forum. This isn't rocket science.