Sign in to follow this  
BLSmith2112

"Arma" brand impeding on Arma2's success?

World War II Online / Battleground Europe, if you're speaking strictly in terms of gameplay and realism.  Of course, it's a different era.

That was also the buggiest game in history.  Buggier even that ArmA at it's release.

In history?  I don't think so.

Yeah, and they've been updating it ever since, just like B.I. has with OFP.

If you didn't know, WW2OL has "If you shoot this vehicle in this spot it must be at least at this angle with this round from this distance in order to kill the driver."

No hit points.  Firing a Thompson at a buttoned-up Panzer isn't going to do a darn thing, no matter how many rounds you fire.  Now imagine the complexities that introduces to the code.

Just saying...because I know how many others have been saying it.

/off-topic

OFP/ArmA has rocket-launchers and helicopters, though, which means there is fun there not to be found in "that other game". I'm just no good with planes. I need to beat the air into submission.

Yeah, it's one of the most sophisticated and buggy games ever.

Aren't you talking about arma?

U must not have played ww2ol smile_o.gif

I dont think it matters what it's called. If the game is good enough, word will spread and the people will come.

The difference with most other games is that they hit the round running (sprinting) for a couple of months and then slowly start to fade until they're overtaken by then next generic kiddie-shooter.

BIS's games are like gourmet cheese, fine wine or scotch. They may not start out perfect, but give them time, some community input and a few patches and they build a base of followers who are loyal and supportive. They may not hit the ground running, but they something better, stamina. (which, i think, is what BIS is aiming for)

All in all, if BIS make a milsim which is better than everything else, people will find out and the community will grow slowely and steadily.

Or soldner.

Quote[/b] ]BIS's games are like gourmet cheese, fine wine or scotch. They may not start out perfect, but give them time, some community input and a few patches and they build a base of followers who are loyal and supportive.

Couldn't have said it better myself, you should use that as a sig Thrash!  biggrin_o.gif

Or soldner.

Throwing a satchel into a building/forest was fun smile_o.gif Seeing the buildings explode or the trees fall down.

aw gawd don't remind me of soldner, I tried the demo or first mission and I walked up to a laptop and pressed it and stuff and nothing happened, couldn't get past the laptop at camp... tounge2.gif

pressed the use key and stuff and still nothing happened and then I gave up and started up ofp biggrin_o.gif

The proverb about gourmet cheese was really good, few games have that effect. I mena ofp was much spread around by word of mouth too. smile_o.gif

Operation Flashpoint isn't an issue-free name to ppl who didn't play ArmA tbh. I know lots of ppl who said something like:

"Operation Flashpoint? Yeah, i remember. Wasn't that the mil simulation with the shitty bitmap bushes, where you walked 10mins to the frontline only to be shot by something you didn't even see?"

Go figure. icon_rolleyes.gif

I just hope ArmAII doesn't become tooo successful, and catch the 'wandering eye' of certain unnamed conglomerates...

...you know who I mean...

Gives me sleepless nights... huh.gif

I don't think any name recognition would hurt Arma2. Most people would assume a follow up to any game will improve on the previous game.

Uh, maybe not Mercenaries2, but it should for Arma which they showed is improved even after release.

I just hope ArmAII doesn't become tooo successful, and catch the 'wandering eye' of certain unnamed conglomerates...

...you know who I mean...

Gives me sleepless nights...  huh.gif

Wouldn't BI have to be a publicly traded company in order to worry about that?

I'm assuming since they do all the VBS stuff (among other things), if they ever caught the eye of some of those 'conglomerates', they would be kinda scared to touch that stuff so they'd ether back off BI, or try to clone them. *Cough* OFP2.

i doubt any big publishers would try to push BIS around, we already know they wouldn't just sit there and take it.

i understand there was disagreement between them and codemasters.....

codemasters are now having to make their own game. nener.gif

Name a better Milsim than ArmA:115?

Apparently, OFP.

There was another WW2 one, but I forget the name.

Name a better Milsim than ArmA:115?

Apparently, OFP.

There was another WW2 one, but I forget the name.

ofp doesn't actualy provide and new features over arma, i think it's nonsense and jealousy that fuels this ofp is better than arma myth. The only problem with arma is it's computer requirements, which has nothing to do with gameplay. You just cant expect a computer with a p4 to perform with modern games anymore.

Initial reviews are all that matters. If the game is not ready when it comes out history repeats itself and ArmA2 becomes non-popular.

Buggy ArmA got bad reviews and suffered.

Put a space between 'ofp' and '2', 'Opf 2'.

Hi all

'Opf 2' as per your suggestion produces no results. It was always OFP not OPF CM never got that, Operation is one word Flash and Point are two.

"OFP 2" Now, as in since the last time I wrote this, produces about 10 results 3 of which are to do with things other than the computer game like Overrall Future Potential (OFP) in Scouting, dib dib dib; Organización Feminina Popular (OFP) Colombian women against violence etc.

Of the new posts dealing with OFP 2 all deal the BIS Press release except for two in German and one in Polish; I am unsure of what they deal with but it appears to be a list of games that might be coming out on PS3.

Of the 20 plus compressed items; Google news compresses very popular news items to show a representative article that has been taken up by other media sites, so as to save space and reduce repetition; once again all deal the BIS Press release.

I am sure that since I pointed this out CM are desperately trying to come up with good news article to plant in the news  wink_o.gif

As to its effect on the ArmA brand, since most news links now link OFP2 to ArmA websites rather than CM sites I think we can say job done.

Kind Regards walker

)rStrangelove @ Feb. 26 2009,16:12)]Operation Flashpoint isn't an issue-free name to ppl who didn't play ArmA tbh. I know lots of ppl who said something like:

"Operation Flashpoint? Yeah, i remember. Wasn't that the mil simulation with the shitty bitmap bushes, where you walked 10mins to the frontline only to be shot by something you didn't even see?"

Go figure.  icon_rolleyes.gif

Thats funny, and reminds me of my rookie days in OFP.

Playing ArmA, I'm able to drive my Humvee 10mins and then die. smile_o.gif

)rStrangelove @ Feb. 26 2009,16:12)]Operation Flashpoint isn't an issue-free name to ppl who didn't play ArmA tbh. I know lots of ppl who said something like:

Go figure.  icon_rolleyes.gif

Thats funny, and reminds me of my rookie days in OFP.

Playing ArmA, I'm able to drive my Humvee 10mins and then die. smile_o.gif

I remember having the hardest time trying to play my first SP mission from OFP, "Steal the car". I almost quit after my 1000th time. Now that I look back, thats pretty sad smile_o.gif Once I beat the mission I felt like I just won the superbowl.

Erm... for those google news sites, "OFP2" is not really the name of the game. "Operation Flashpoint 2" pulls up a lot more hits., considering that's the name of the game.  Arma2 still gets more results, but its a fairer comparison.

Erm... for those google news sites, "OFP2" is not really the name of the game. "Operation Flashpoint 2" pulls up a lot more hits., considering that's the name of the game.  Arma2 still gets more results, but its a fairer comparison.

The actual name is no longer OFP2, they changed it to Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising, short: OFP: DR

and OFP: DR brings just one site up: http://news.google.co.uk/news?ned=uk&hl=en-GB&q=OFP%3ADR

and Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising brings enough up: http://news.google.co.uk/news?ne....+Rising

The only thing what i have recognized about the name ArmA is the fact that many people were not really happy with the state of ArmA when it got released and therefor many people dont trust the name ArmA.

The only way to get that corrected is to get good ratings in the tests, so they can put the over 90% signs on the box of ArmAII.