Sign in to follow this  
GD Mast

Does BI listen?!

I just saw the latest video and some of the newest screens and... I'm still disappointed.  Being a Marine and seeing the units they're trying to copy is annoying.  Who's their military advisor if they have one?  It's small details that tend to make me go wow or hmph.  Getting the gear and clothing right IS important.  The main color of the woodland MARPAT is coyote brown.  Peckham fleece which is issued is coyote brown and not green (talking about 1 sf guy wearing a long sleeve green top).  Plus Marines don't wear baseball caps.  Now if your talking about Force Recon, say Force Recon.  Now Force Recon might be able to wear certain gear that other Marine units can't wear (I don't know).  The last BIG downer is seeing the Osprey flying and it sounds like a damn airplane...gawd damn.  I know there are clips of the Osprey flying and the Military Channel a few months back had a show about the first deployment of the Osprey in Iraq.  BI need to look at Gnat's Osprey and listen to his sound,  it's almost spot on.  There's always seems to be details that are wrong or get mixed up.  So...does BI listen to us?

GD Mast

So...does BI listen to us?

Yes we do, GD Mast

Thank you for your comment and advices. I'll pass your message to our artists to take a look on the issues you have reported.

I just can't promise anything more as we have a lot of work on different tasks which we considered to be more important (campaign, stability, performance etc.).

Regards

jennik, is this a example of the new BIS "public affair" policy?

If so, then its great!

I think a few of us could really need some input from the Devs if they make some suggestions/have some concerns, etc.

I know you can't spend the whole day reading+answereing here, but some input like this example would be very nice!

By the way, if some of you guys might take a look in the big topic about scripting suggestions?

We know you can't make in everything we are suggesting, but at least we need some special scripting commands in order to proper Mod this and that functionality.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards, Chrisian

Thanks jennik, that is great to hear but with ArmA II around the corner.  Is it too late?  I wish I was checking this forum earlier to give some input, better late than never.  

The USMC fleece was made by Peckham, Polartec makes em now.  Usually you'll see some of the issued USMC gear pop up on ebay.  Militaryphotos.net has some great shots of Marines in A-stan and Iraq but you'll have to hunt for them.  Plus I'll look to see what I can find of details.  Time to get ready for work.

Best Regards,

GD Mast

"Now if your talking about Force Recon, say Force Recon. Now Force Recon might be able to wear certain gear that other Marine units can't wear (I don't know)."

I thought that Force Recon was mentiond in the latest update on the Arma2 site?

I was always under the impression that Razor team was part of Force Recon.

It's a common assumption that because something is mentioned to BI a number of times with no direct results that they don't listen. They certainly do but that doesn't mean that whatever you say will have an effect on their game development. So now the opposite is also true: because they are listening doesn't mean that they will make your changes, but that doesn't mean they're dismissing your feedback.

Quote[/b] ]I was always under the impression that Razor team was part of Force Recon.

They could be... I'm just looking at the pictures and I see one person wearing a green top which should be coyote brown and that same person would be wearing a USMC "cover" not a baseball cap.  Marines (to include Force Recon) in general do not wear flags on the shoulders or anything like that.

Here's some USMC coyote brown gear from polartec:

gloves-

http://www.polartec.com/stuff....ech.pdf

USMC Half zip pullover-

USMC Cold Weather Layering System-

Also Force Recon would wear something like this too.  TAD Gear's Pathfinder Zip Hoodie.  It's not issued but the color is very close to coyote brown.

http://www.tadgear.com/x-treme....650.jpg

GD Mast

Quote[/b] ]Here's some USMC coyote brown gear from polartec:

gloves-

USMC Half zip pullover-

USMC Cold Weather Layering System-

Also Force Recon would wear something like this too. TAD Gear's Pathfinder Zip Hoodie. It's not issued but the color is very close to coyote brown.

http://www.tadgear.com/x-treme....650.jpg

Wow, great clothes!

I really hope bis changes this for the final game.

I always got the impression that Force recon guys fought in large pitch scale battles like in COD4, According to BI they are Special forces almost like the Navy SEALs or Green Berets who head behind enemy lines to gather intelligence.

Whose right?

I always got the impression that Force recon guys fought in large pitch scale battles like in COD4, According to BI they are Special forces almost like the Navy SEALs or Green Berets who head behind enemy lines to gather intelligence.

Whose right?

Quote[/b] ]Force Recons are the USMC equivalent of the Navy SEALs or Army SF. They perform highly specialized, small-scale, high-risk operations, including amphibious and deep ground surveillance and specialized technical missions. Essentially, Recons perform intelligence gathering missions far behind enemy lines by conducting small unit raids on enemy centres. They also assist in ordnance delivery, such as designating targets for laser guided bomb units, ground artillery, and naval artillery. They conduct "limited scale raids", including gas and oil platform (GOPLATs) raids and Military Interdiction operations (MIOs) and may be involved in hostage rescue. Their readiness is defined as "any shore in the world within six hours' notice".

From A Civilian's Guide to the US Military

I am no military expert but I thought it would have been logical to assume Force Recon were mainly sneaky beaky types. I mean, why on earth create a special unit to undertake tasks the rest of the USMC can do?

Watch a TV Series called Generation Kill to give you some idea of what they do wink_o.gif

Yes we do, GD Mast

Thank you for your comment and advices. I'll pass your message to our artists to take a look on the issues you have reported.

I just can't promise anything more as we have a lot of work on different tasks which we considered to be more important (campaign, stability, performance etc.).

Regards

!!

First post in reply to the topic does BI listen is dev saying yes.

Full Kudos!

You don't see that anywhere else in the gaming world.

I have to say that on a personal note these kind of attentions to details are mainly lost on me. All I need is a broadly identifiable simulation.

I want U.S. soldiers to look recogniseably U.S. an Chinese to look recogniseably Chinese.

I enjoy attention to detail but first and foremost it's the gameplay aspects I am intrested in.

I would also like to pass on my recognition to the dev's of how much I believe they do listen. In particular I have noticed they have gone to large lengths to address the animations and the AI issues raised repeatedly by the forum users.

The improvement in animations in particular is dramatic. Please pass on my compliments to all involved.

Yes we do, GD Mast

Regards

!!

First post in reply to the topic does BI listen is dev saying yes.

Full Kudos!

You don't see that anywhere else in the gaming world.

I have to say that on a personal note these kind of attentions to details are mainly lost on me. All I need is a broadly identifiable simulation.

I want U.S. soldiers to look recogniseably U.S. an Chinese to look recogniseably Chinese.

I enjoy attention to detail but first and foremost it's the gameplay aspects I am intrested in.

I would also like to pass on my recognition to the dev's of how much I believe they do listen. In particular I have noticed they have gone to large lengths to address the animations and the AI issues raised repeatedly by the forum users.

The improvement in animations in particular is dramatic. Please pass on my compliments to all involved.

the only problem is that those opfor aint chinese tounge2.gif

Will ArmA 2 have the CH-46 and the CH-53?  These 2 helos are the backbone of the USMC medium and heavy lift helos.  I see that the F-35 USMC version and the MV-22 Osprey are there but where's the AV-8B Harrier (with correct skin)?

Another question for BI, are you going to finally fix the ability to use vertical hand grips in ArmA2?  Both the USMC and US Army use vertical grips on M4's.

Also the pdf files I posted (polartech) show the coyote brown fleece are too light due to the lighting used.  Coyote brown is not that light.

Another question for BI, are you going to finally fix the ability to use vertical hand grips in ArmA2?  Both the USMC and US Army use vertical grips on M4's.

It would be great . Also by doing this they should add an accuracy boost to the rifle /smg .

And it would be nice to see the S.C.A.R. in the game.

Hi, a better accuracy can be made just with changing a number in

the config, for that specific model; reducing it's dispersion and i

think that also the recoil. Im very glad to see than now the units

hold the grenade launcher equiped weapon by the grenade launcher,

it's sad that they don't hold the M203/GP25 grip if you switch to the

grenade launcher... but well, could be possible... i don't know. What

worryes me the most about how the units hold the heapons is if they

will at last be able of hold a rifle or classic shotgun (M1A Scout, R870)

properly and if they'll be able of hold weapons like the L85A2, a

Steyr AUG, a Groza and that kind of weapons; but over all, the

M1A Scout style weapons. Change the weapons accuracy it's

something that must be made in the config. Let's C ya

Watch a TV Series called Generation Kill to give you some idea of what they do  wink_o.gif

But 1st Reconnaissance Battalion isn't a Force Reconnaissance unit. They are a Recce unit for a Marine Division, Generation Kill won't tell you anything about Force Recon.

Hi, a better accuracy can be made just with changing a number in

the config, for that specific model; reducing it's dispersion and i

think that also the recoil.

Yeah, but i was talking about something like :

If [condition] (  player grips the Vertical grip ) = true

then

set acuracy = better  tounge2.gif & reduce recoil

It would add a little more flavour to the game

It would be great . Also by doing this they should add an accuracy boost to the rifle /smg .

Accuracy doesn't necessarily become better just because you use a vertical grip. It depends on your stance, and also how far forward/back you have the grip.

Overall it improves one's accuracy when standing and shooting though, at the distance one has adjusted the grip to be best for. Its main application is for FIBUAR, where fighting ranges are well below the 250m or more that's expected outside cities.

Some soldiers like vertical handgrips some are got used to shoot without them. Accuracy depends on real life training with weapons!

As far as I remember BIS was talking about solved issues with hand animations, think that its possible to play with different weapons incl. handgrips.

Who's their military advisor if they have one?  It's small details that tend to make me go wow or hmph.  Getting the gear and clothing right IS important.  The main color of the woodland MARPAT is coyote brown.

.... So...does BI listen to us?

GD Mast

The main point is - for whom BIS made ArmA II?

As a trained soldier you have some skills to spot enemys, to move in combat, to fire your rifle.. You know what you can hit from what distance, and so on. You have at least seen real uniforms.

Kids who are the "target group" for ArmA have no real interest in accurate combat simulation, they want fast "kill them all" action, where you kill at least 20 enemys in 20 minutes. They want an evil russian general. They want an undestroyable M1A2, cuz they have seen it on TV. And they will get it all. And at the end - tey will not pay for it. Only adults who want a good Military Sim will.

Kids who are the "target group" for ArmA have no real interest in accurate combat simulation, they want fast "kill them all" action, where you kill at least 20 enemys in 20 minutes. They want an evil russian general. They want an undestroyable M1A2, cuz they have seen it on TV. And they will get it all. And at the end - tey will not pay for it. Only adults who want a good Military Sim will.

I don't agree. The target group you are defining is more of a visual-orientated group who wants the best looking, most modern shooter.

Armed Assault 2 does not appeal to those people at all, actually most of those gamers never even heard of Operation Flashpoint or Armed Assault.

Mainly because they are around the age of 12 to 16.

I don't agree. The target group you are defining is more of a visual-orientated group who wants the best looking, most modern shooter.

Armed Assault 2 does not appeal to those people at all, actually most of those gamers never even heard of Operation Flashpoint or Armed Assault.

Yes you are right .

Standard comment on youtube : I dont like this game , it has bad graphics or " did you see the graphics on game x , it pwns this game or " epic fail at graphics " ....

Yes you are right .

Standrd comment on youtube : I dont like this game , its has bad graphics or " did you see the graphics on game x , it pwns this game or " epic fail at graphics " ....

To paraphrase:

"Graphics? We don't need no stinkin' graphics!"  tounge2.gif

Well atleast not as a main feature.  wink_o.gif