sickboy

A.C.E. Advanced Combat Environment Public Release!

Personally I'd like to see AI improvements for the next patch, considering they will be a important part of gameplay with coop operations being the most frequented part of ArmA.

I don't mean making them more combat capable, that's already achievable by fiddling with AI setting, but rather making them more realistic. My main beef is how AI don't like to be inside buildings and always, always, go prone unless certain conditions are present. I understand AI coding is probably one the hardest aspects, but what I was suggesting would be a function that say for example, when AI is within blah blah range of buildings, they are forced to crouch or stand.

Also possibly talking to FFN creator to see how he coded AI to clear and take up positions in buildings? As it currently is, you can place AI in buildings, but as soon as the firefight starts, they crawl out and try to get into the streets rather than staying in what would be a superior position.

Just some suggestions, keep up the great work. <3 patch 2.

Thanks. Personally, I believe such AI Enhancements should be found in DAC and GL3, and possibly FFN.

Also, when you look at the previews of ArmA2 etc, it would kinda seem like it would be a waste of time to start putting efforts into AI systems.

Maybe we could work more close with the above mentioned to work out compatibility issues, or if someone is interested to work on AI within ACE; feel free to sign up.

Sickboy: TonyRanger has just released his new FFN, so you might take a look at it today smile_o.gif finally we won't need 200+AI anymore =)

Btw: posted bunch of screenshots here of another SBPACE squadnight.

About the new prone system, what I wanted to highlight was that I can turn at normal (BIS system) when I was in 3rd person mode. While in 1st person mode, you turn at slow speed (ACE system).

If you said it wont give the AI anymore advantages toward human players, it's okay. Maybe it doesn't.

Still, the problem remains that there are 2 systems in the prone system. BIS one when 3rd person and ACE one in first person. I dont play MP much, but it may affect MP play where 3rd person is enabled.

Thank you

IIRC; 3rd person you don't move your arms/upper body, but you move your whole body.

while in 1st person you move only your arms/upper body, unless you also use your movement keys combined with mouse.

So in that light, I think it's just fine right?

About the new prone system, what I wanted to highlight was that I can turn at normal (BIS system) when I was in 3rd person mode. While in 1st person mode, you turn at slow speed (ACE system).

If you said it wont give the AI anymore advantages toward human players, it's okay. Maybe it doesn't.

Still, the problem remains that there are 2 systems in the prone system. BIS one when 3rd person and ACE one in first person. I dont play MP much, but it may affect MP play where 3rd person is enabled.

Thank you

As I understood it this had to be done to help the retarded AI some, and not break it to bits. The AI likes being on the ground, and to not give it game-breaking restrictions making it even more unable to fight than it has now, it'd not be fun for anyone. Unfortunately (as far as I understand) the 3rd person animations are what the AI use, and therefore the 3rd person view could not be given the limitations from 1st person.

To clarify things: prone AI turning speed is exactly the same as player's when he's using a movement key.

I can confirm that suppressed M4 would be more effective as a melee weapon :P But... I get the impression that every weapon in ACE is less effective than it should be. I don't mind if a guy takes two shots and lives but if he gets two and is still shooting at me . . . I play v1.02 at veteran difficulty level.

There's almost all armor units of Stryker BCT in this mod, so I have a little request: could you make some more groups of SBCT - rifle/weapons/recon squads, platoon HQ, sniper and fire support teams etc?

I don't mind if a guy takes two shots and lives but if he gets two and is still shooting at me . . . I play v1.02 at veteran difficulty level.

Currently there is a delay in AI wounding & animation. Maybe you noticed AI sometimes does some strange sequence of animation when wounded before falling down.

This problem is identified and there will possibly be a temporary fix in the next patch.

Also AFAIK, there is a work going on to further optimize the wounding system.

check..

http://www.acemod.net/forums/project.php?issueid=1127#note8990

Norrin pointed out a piece of code that can be deleted to stop the anim problems, on the ACE forums.

Slightly offtopic, but...

Think I asked this long time ago in another place, but can't remember the answer if I got any. Looking at this figure, how does the weapons squad move around?

IIRC; 3rd person you don't move your arms/upper body, but you move your whole body.

while in 1st person you move only your arms/upper body, unless you also use your movement keys combined with mouse.

So in that light, I think it's just fine right?

Thank you for the clarification. I feel much better now.

Thank you again smile_o.gif

oh no, the reflex sights goes back to its old lame BIS style..... huh.gif

oh no, the reflex sights goes back to its old lame BIS style..... huh.gif

A must to avoid graphical bugs on some systems. No matter the solution for parallax effects there's always some system (i.e. graphics cards model dependant) that'll get alpha-rays and stuff like that.

We can just hope BIS has solved these problems for ArmA2.

Please direct those of us who want the default prone movement back to where we can change the values. Thank you.

Please direct those of us who want the default prone movement back to where we can change the values. Thank you.

Never mind,

found it, just delete ace_anim_turns.pbo

Awesome, didn't think it'd be as simple as that. smile_o.gif

This really gets rid of all effects? No side effects?

Daniel @ Feb. 14 2009,22:38)]Awesome, didn't think it'd be as simple as that.  smile_o.gif

This really gets rid of all effects? No side effects?

I haven't completely tested it out, I only play MP with a group of friends and we don't require verification of add-ons on the servers we host.

Likewise, havn't found any side effects either. Good find!

Hi ACE mod guys!

When (If) you make another release, can you try to add some more features like these:

I really enjoyed playing ACE but I have had some issues with the M1A2 TUSK. The commander in the real one controls the Protector M151 RCWS with the M2 .50 cal machinegun mounted buy there is an extra space for a man to use this gun while the commander has no mounted weapon. Can you try to make the TC man the M151? I have tried to get 5 men in the tank so all positions are manned but have had no luck, a guy just jumps out again. If you could fix this problem, please do.

And can you add an Iraqi captive? I have been trying to make a mission with a large tank battle and a good portion of the Iraqi armoured force looses hope and raises the white flag. The USMC captures the Iraqis and hold them prisoner. Can you make an Iraqi Republican guard on the civillian side? They'd get shot by the USMC immediatly due to the AI if they were on OPFOR. This picture might help you understand what I am looking for in a way: http://www.figureinternational.com/NEW%20R....jpg.htm

Anyway, I loved the mod and I keep playing ARMA every day because of ACE.

Thanks

/A55A51N

And can you add an Iraqi captive? I have been trying to make a mission with a large tank battle and a good portion of the Iraqi armoured force looses hope and raises the white flag. The USMC captures the Iraqis and hold them prisoner. Can you make an Iraqi Republican guard on the civillian side? They'd get shot by the USMC immediatly due to the AI if they were on OPFOR.

I suggest you try the following:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">unitname setcaptive true

This will stop the enemy firing at him. Though you should beware, if the unit (unitname) has a gun, he will still fire upon his "captors," so I also recommend:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">removeallweapons unitname

...to prevent him getting in several cheapies.