Sign in to follow this  
EricM

Latest ArmA2 & ArmA2:OA Press Coverage | NO discussion here!

Looks like emissive textures in the windows as with live 3d lights the surrounding area would be illuminated aswell. Another indicator that it´s a texture is that the streetlamp in front of the building is not illuminated.

Good for atmosphere though.

And what is happening if some walls get destroyed...?

Will the whole room go dark...?

Hey, this pic make asking questions yay.gif

And what is happening if some walls get destroyed...?

Will the whole room go dark...?

Hey, this pic make asking questions yay.gif

Probably sad_o.gif . I really hope it wont be something like

if ( destroyed wall) set "light"= 0.

But hell , the pic looks nice smile_o.gif

I don´t think that buildings per se are partly destructable. I guess non enterable buildings are not partly destroyable. Wouldn´t make much sense as they have no interiors. So texture lightning as shown on the pic ( as I assume ) will simply end when the building completely collapses and that´s it. Maybe they added another texture stage that turns off the illuminated texture when the building akes damage but I wouldn´t place my bets on it.

@Balschoiw: Your theory makes the most sense. This is gonna be simple. No destroy wall and lightbulbs hanging and dangling in the building. smile_o.gif Lit up textures that go off when the house takes X amount of damage.

But hey, at least the cities wont be completelly dead this time - and thats friggin awesome.

Alex

I also wrote it here http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....;st=225

It would be cool, if such a house get hit by some rounds some civilians spawn at the entry and run the hell out of this area... inlove.gif

To me non enterable buidlings could be partly destroyable... wink_o.gif look

at 0:42 this house doesn't look to be enterable and the doors windows are closed, but actually you can destroy it smile_o.gif

It would be good if explosions nearby caused the lights to flicker. Presuming its lit with emissive textures you'd only need to do a texture swap when an explosions occurs inside a set distance from the house.

Quote[/b] ]It would be cool, if such a house get hit by some rounds some civilians spawn at the entry and run the hell out of this area...

This is something that can be done via editing and I think that it would be hindering for mission editing to have such by default as in most missions it would be rather hindering than contributing.

Quote[/b] ]It would be good if explosions nearby caused the lights to flicker.

I guess there are things on the list with a higher priority than that.

To be honest I guess people already get lost in details right now while we all haven´t played the game up to now. My biggest concerns are still AI, playability, physics and hardware compability. The rest is the extra sugar I can worry about once the game blasts me into my chair with version 1.0.

To be honest I guess people already get lost in details right now while we all haven´t played the game up to now. My biggest concerns are still AI, playability, physics and hardware compability. The rest is the extra sugar I can worry about once the game blasts me into my chair with version 1.0.

because that stuff has been set in stone for months now. It's the core gameplay, if they didn't chnage it at the start of development then they're not going to change it full stop.

at least little additions like what we suggested have a feasible chance of being included.

Quote[/b] ]To be honest I guess people already get lost in details right now while we all haven´t played the game up to now. My biggest concerns are still AI, playability, physics and hardware compability. The rest is the extra sugar I can worry about once the game blasts me into my chair with version 1.0.

because that stuff has been set in stone for months now. It's the core gameplay, if they didn't chnage it at the start of development then they're not going to change it full stop.

at least little additions like what we suggested have a feasible chance of being included.

I guess that would depend wouldn't it? What if the release was 6 months from now in September? They'd have some time to add some pretty hefty features into the games mechanics between now and then.

Especially in terms of Physics & AI.

Quote[/b] ]To be honest I guess people already get lost in details right now while we all haven´t played the game up to now. My biggest concerns are still AI, playability, physics and hardware compability. The rest is the extra sugar I can worry about once the game blasts me into my chair with version 1.0.

I guess that would depend wouldn't it? What if the release was 6 months from now in September? They'd have some time to add some pretty hefty features into the games mechanics between now and then.

Especially in terms of Physics & AI.

They can't add too much in the physics department. Most servers wouldn't be able to handle higher physics in ArmA2's massive playing field.

They can't add too much in the physics department. Most servers wouldn't be able to handle higher physics in ArmA 2's massive playing field.

A person brought up earlier that most ArmA maps are too large for the average intended online game, therefore resulting in considerable performance drops when playing online.

Quote[/b] ]because that stuff has been set in stone for months now. It's the core gameplay, if they didn't chnage it at the start of development then they're not going to change it full stop.

Ah I see you are part of the BIS team.

The word "Beta" may ring a bell in your upper compartement. It´s meant to find bugs and fix them before the product gets released.

A proper base is what a game needs, not some "I want this, I want that" that is totally irrelevant for the basic gameplay. And the base for a proper game is "AI, playability, physics and hardware compability".

Yes he is. its a SMAW, i posted it elsewhere recently.

true, i think that if the AI is still like it was at the GC08 it will make me a sad person  sad_o.gif

maybe after all the faction, weapon and vehicle videos BIS could release a long (maybe10min) gameplay video which shows improvements from ARMA1, micro-AI, graphics and other tweaks

Yeah, just show an AI section doing it's thing on a short patrol. In and out of town, in and out of a vehicle. A 'there and back' with just a bit of action, nothing fancy... OK, I'm really needing this weeks hit of digital crack. Gettting desperate.

The AI is my biggest worry as well. Ive yet to see a single example of how much the AI has improved over arma1. Just dont hope this will be another eyecandy game like arma1 with hugely dissapointing gameplay. But if the Ai and gameplay do suck major ass, Then bohemia really should consider making 90 mins computer scenery movies.

I think the AI will be a definite improvement over ArmA1's, even if it doesn't "look" it (I think it will always have that ... "arma" look to it). Having said that, I can't wait: definitely my most wanted game of 09'. I just hope the AI is able to function quickly and effectively, so that when something goes wrong they instantly leap into action instead of taking 10 seconds to realise shots are being fired. If there is a group of soldiers standing around and I fire at them, they should dive for cover and return fire, not just all lay down and get shot.

It would also be awesome if they were able to act like human players (leaning around corners etc - which I think has been stated already by Bohemia).

I'd also like to see an extended gameplay video.

I'm sure the AI has been improved, i mean, walking into a church with a bunch of people! Even with scripts this is an impossible task, they will always get stuck or start walking in circles or park themselves part way through the walls.

I'm sure the AI has been improved, i mean, walking into a church with a bunch of people! Even with scripts this is an impossible task, they will always get stuck or start walking in circles or park themselves part way through the walls.

Remember the AI walking through fences? I handn't really thought about the church until now, I hope the rest of the pathfinding is reworked also: I hated seeing a soldier walk out into the open then turn around and walk back again.

The AI is my biggest worry as well. Ive yet to see a single example of how much the AI has improved over arma1. Just dont hope this will be another eyecandy game like arma1 with hugely dissapointing gameplay. But if the Ai and gameplay do suck major ass, Then bohemia really should consider making 90 mins computer scenery movies.

I agree.

AI gameplay would satisfy most of us, bust to most new players who aren't firmilar to OFP/Arma, will immediately be turned off by the slightest abnormality. So it probably is a net-negative to show any AI gameplay - even at the expense of the loyal forum community.