Sign in to follow this  
EricM

Latest ArmA2 & ArmA2:OA Press Coverage | NO discussion here!

Hah, i written that i like the graphics very much as well as the sounds....

Ok then lets add it:

Yes Arma2 has many great new features like Sounds, Landscape, New Vehicles, Weapons, real VTOL, conversation system, bikes, civilians populating the map, etc, etc.

Sure they are all great, but you know Arma1 can look very good too (everything on high/very high) and for me "under-the-hood" features like penetration, are far more important than a everytime upgrade on the engine (which always means "new units" and better graphics).

Its "nothing" special to add better quality landscape/units/etc. since the technology moves ahead too...

I'm not sure if i should buy it... the game many of you "laugh about" (OFP2) seems somehow to have many of those "realism features" (at least they claim it hehe)

I think if these things were as easy done as it always seems they would add them.

Saddly it seems the engine doesnt really allow such big changes.

So what can one do, instead of seing the negative aspects i see the endless list of things that are finally improved and should lead to a game that has a lot more of the classic OFP feeling.

Didnt they say ArmA2 is still Alpha? Did BIS guarantee that ArmA2 will be a some kind of ultrarealistic simulation for all kind of combat for land, sea and air warfare?

Be patient there is a lot of work and maybe BIS adds some more optional stuff which can be activated/deactivated by players. Could be nice if they make some more userfriendly and customizable settings. Its a walk on the edge - on one side BIS like to attract old OFP/ArmA hardcore players on the other side they have to attract new players. Maybe mr.g-c should teach those CoD, BF & other (fun)shooter generation how to survive in BIS games. wink_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

I think that it's time to stop begging and pouting about realistic penetration and other features like that. It's not going to happen, regardless of the amount of kicking, screaming, crying, threatening, slamming doors, punching walls, holding your breath, making yourself throw up, slitting your wrists, or begging. It is not going to happen. It's time to buck up and live with it.

I'm always wondering how far those people who always complaining can think.

Do you really expect BIS to sit down and say

"Oh, yeah, cool, lets make a game with realistic values for each tiny material, ah and here, the glas isn't destroyed in a real way... lets make a completly realistic physic engine to simlulate broken glass..."

And then one of the coders says:

"Ehm, but boss, we don't have the time to do a cool game that is selled and has all those things... thats impossible"

Boss:

"Ahhh, I don't care. There are at least two people out there who want realistic penetration values. I mean, yes, we probably won't have any time to do the real cool stuff like new sound system or better AI... but... you know... who cares anyway?"

crazy_o.gif

Then again, they did code in insects, leaves blowing in the wind, breaking waves at the shores, trigger finger animation etc whistle.gif

Hi all

Radar is optional in ArmA.

So saying you will not play because default allows radar is an interesting way of shooting yourself in the foot.

Anyway back to press coverage this is interesting Marek Said:

"Unlike our previous titles where AI was designed primarily for larger-scale combat in open fields, this time the AI is capable of finding cover with centimetre precision, like at corners of a building," says Spanel, "And they act dynamically and cooperate as a team; provide suppressive fire and trying to avoid it from the enemy. It's a big advancement in terms of AI."

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/932/932227p1.html As always follow the link to verify the full story. Primary source should always be there.

Kind Regards walker

here we go again, "The community want it ALL"

i think even if BI did managed to put all your small little wet dreams together with the big stuff that others foues(ie. physics, AIs) the community will still complaining that they cant run the game in their 7 years old home computer(which is really old in PC world in fact)

really if you guys wanted to go realistic that much why dont you open your door, head outside, go join the Army or simply re-enlist back to Active Duty? thats 10000 times more realistic then sitting your fata$$ infront of your computer wasting your life isnt it?

For the love of tufty folks, BIS can't 'simulate' everything.

crazy_o.gif

Well, at least they can go into detail in some parts. It's time they start adding more "under the hood" rather than eye candy and more model stuff(rather than AI, thumbs up for that one).

What I mean is, I'd rather have few less(maybe a lot less) models and less eye candy but important immersive features like Tank FCS(you know it's actually been done in ArmA, just a simple one that allows mods to improve on is enough), Helicopter FCS(guiding TOW and Hellfire ACTUALLY where the FLIR is pointing, rather than using Tab-Fire runs, not too hard), machine gun barrels heating up(you have to change M240 barrel every 2 mins of sust fire), proper first person animations for weapons . . . you get what I mean. ANYTHING that adds to the immersion through player input. Anything that adds to the simulation part.

Now, even OFP2 developers seems to have gotten it and they're trying to implement proper usage of weapons. I understand ArmA didn't add very much on OFP on simulation because better graphics were the first priority. BUT I'd expected ArmA2 to aim for immersion through simulation which is at the moment is not the case.

Also that "OMG you want real world physics, actual atoms modelling omg you must be insane" argument is just trying to diverse the conversation elsewhere.

For the love of tufty folks, BIS can't 'simulate' everything.

crazy_o.gif

Well, at least they can go into detail in some parts. It's time they start adding more "under the hood" rather than eye candy and more model stuff(rather than AI, thumbs up for that one).

What I mean is, I'd rather have few more(maybe a lot less) models and less eye candy but important immersive features like Tank FCS(you know it's actually been done in ArmA, just a simple one that allows mods to improve on is enough), Helicopter FCS(guiding TOW and Hellfire ACTUALLY where the FLIR is pointing, rather than using Tab-Fire runs, not too hard), machine gun barrels heating up(you have to change M240 barrel every 2 mins of sust fire), proper first person animations for weapons . . . you get what I mean. ANYTHING that adds to the immersion through player input. Anything that adds to the simulation part.

Now, even OFP2 developers seems to have gotten it and they're trying to implement proper usage of weapons. I understand ArmA didn't add very much on OFP on simulation because better graphics were the first priority. BUT I'd expected ArmA2 to aim for immersion through simulation which is at the moment is not the case.

Also that "OMG you want real world physics, actual atoms modelling omg you must be insane" argument is just trying to diverse the conversation elsewhere.

OMG you want real world physics actual atoms modelling omg you must be insane

crazy_o.gif  tounge2.gif

no, really, i do understand what you mean and trust me i want those FCS as much as you do, but those things are already as big as making IR sights and laser sights into ARMA2

but more is about "actual neutron size modelling" where if a single piece of glass fragment when the windows is broken should be modelling is far too much

I don't see anyone using this argument.

@ Rakgitarmen some things are done in code and some things have mainly to do with graphics, you can't have a game with every physics simulated like how a drop of water falls down from a tree and such and run it in a real time engine ( game engine )

Its like very few computers would be able to run it + that with A.i, special fx like bullet tracers, smoke, fire and explosions and models and textures and lightning and shadows being rendered... It won't happen yet but maybe later in the future..

As a dev you have to make compromises, sacrifice a bit of physics and have good looking graphics and A.i or have great physics but a very small game world and bad a.i and maybe decent graphics?

Bis is a good company and they listen to the fans and strive to make good games but they can't make it all in one game..

I also think its probably to late in the development cycle to be changing/adding anything big now. They are probably busy play testing.

It's tons better than any other title I've seen as far as this scale of a combat sim.

I see many mods that were made for ArmA that are being incorporated into the stock game. That's good news as that means the community modders can start working on some far more advanced mods instead of starting out with the basics. BIS has always left the door open for modders. Which I think is a great idea.

I'm a combat veteran and no computer game will ever be able to simulate it - period. The simple reason is that every person reacts to combat differently. You just can't code chemical and emotional reactions into a game.

I'm still having alot of fun with ArmA. I know online play in ArmA2 will still be primarily coop, but that's okay. There's no way to properly coordinate 50 gamers per side when everyone will have their own idea of how the mission should be accomplished lol!

am i correct that nothing about "fire your primary weapon from vehicle positions" has been shown or told? I thought this was a confirmed feature?! With only ~5 months left i am starting to doubt that we ever see this cool feature what is my nr2 most wanted armaII feature, right after smart ai.

am i correct that nothing about "fire your primary weapon from vehicle positions" has been shown or told? I thought this was a confirmed feature?!...

It was never confirmed. Only mentioned as a possibility. It's something I'd like to see too.

Radar is optional in ArmA.

So saying you will not play because default allows radar is an interesting way of shooting yourself in the foot.

If I wanted no radar at all, I'd play WW1 games.

Is it so wrong to ask for something a bit more sophisticated than the science fictiony all-seeing-eye that would better fit Battlefield 2142.

Omg guys stop complaining...

Those all micro elements doesnt matter... if you want micro elements, then go play Americas Army and get at least 3 Critical Take Downs per hour playing Coop with MEGA laggy AI or get pwned by a hacker.

In my opinion, Arma2 is a first BI game that's going to beat a good old ofp.

The only thing I can complain about is that I haven't seen A10 in arma2 so far... hopefully it will be included.

[Edit] Looks like BI included fov 1.08 in Arma2 wink_o.gif

Those all micro elements doesnt matter...

Even very basic semi-realistic sensor and targeting tech would be a really major change for the dynamics of battle for tanks, PCs, fighter planes, attack planes, attack helicopters, manpads etc... Hardly a micro element, in comparision to something that has absolutely zero effect on gameplay, like the leaves in the wind etc.

Quote[/b] ]....then go play Americas Army and get at leas...

Sadly, OFP / ArmA are still the closest there is to my ideal of a wargame so here I am, like it or not.

Pulverizer, I don't know why you've taken my post to yourself. I am glad that you like Arma but some of those complains will add nothing. Hope you understand me.